Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The fact that Jaida feels that the fanbase didn't think she "deserved" her win or that she's not a "real" winner crushed my heart. She was absolutely in my top 3 of her season, and I was over the moon when she won.

Also how the gently caress is she 35?! :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I like this season's gimmick for an all winners season but if regular All Stars were to adopt it I think they'd really need to integrate an actual penalty for doing poorly.

While this season has been fun it's all extremely... low stakes?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I’m maybe a bit biased because one of my best friends was on the production team, but Trixie Motel is exactly what I was hoping for out of a show about a drag Queen renovating a Palm Springs motel.
It’s on Discovery + which is $4.99/month in Canada

I just saw the first episode and when I saw they were taking out the oven I was hoping they would be honest enough to not advertise it as a kitchenette. - Nope they are being dickish and advertising it as a full kitchenette. I would be pissed if I booked the room and there wasn't an oven/stovetop.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 5, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bob the Drag Queen on Ross's Judging Style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wyq4BSytLY&t=1382s

:laffo:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

totally unrelated or maybe slightly related to Drag Race-
I’ve got a makeup subscription box that sent me a foundation (that actually matches) and beauty blender sponges and I’ve discovered the joy of the *brapbrapbrappowbrap* that comes with applying makeup with a sponge

and now I have a vague idea of where the term “beating” a face comes from? this rules and is weirdly satisfying.

Also just realized that all-stars has an accompanying Untucked and oh my god

it’s just a love fest and I didn’t know how badly I needed something so pure and drama-free

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I’m maybe a bit biased because one of my best friends was on the production team, but Trixie Motel is exactly what I was hoping for out of a show about a drag Queen renovating a Palm Springs motel.
It’s on Discovery + which is $4.99/month in Canada

Just caught the first two episodes, and yeah, it's cute! I preferred the 2nd episode, but liked the lovey moments with David in ep 1.

This may be revealing about my own budget for motels, but every time they lean into velvet anything or fragile custom statement pieces, my brain starts shrieking.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Trying to like Trixie Motel but her slow acting talk is driving me insane.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tired Moritz posted:

Trying to like Trixie Motel but her slow acting talk is driving me insane.

It's kinda weird and she's obviously downplaying her vulgar jokes cause it's a barely a PG show - minus episode 2 and getting lube above the bed. :lol:

It's a true reality show - both episodes featured a "OH NO THIS IS BAD" then they bounce back near the end. Although the floor getting hosed up did appear to make Trixie mad - they weren't joking around then but it was edited around it. David was pissed too. That designer should have known better. Plus I had a good chuckle of the painter just coloring over it all and calling it a day. :lol:

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I would watch Trixie Motel but I already pay for wow presents plus just to watch unhhh, Paramount plus just for Drag race and Untucked and I just can't justify paying for another subscription just for one show.

Drag Race is nickel and dimeing me to death!

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just steal it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bookish posted:

I would watch Trixie Motel but I already pay for wow presents plus just to watch unhhh, Paramount plus just for Drag race and Untucked and I just can't justify paying for another subscription just for one show.

Drag Race is nickel and dimeing me to death!

Discovery Plus is getting merged into HBO Max soon

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We're running a few weeks behind so we just watched Snatch Game. Yvie Oddly... okay I love her but that is NOT her sport. My wife said, it's a decathlon, you just have to power through the sports you're not good at. But then she did the Boogieman and, wow, okay, so she's horrible at "celebrity" impressions, but she's great at improv with an original character! Do that! Always!

And while Jinkx was obviously the massive star of it, I feel like some praise has to be given to Prince, who was so bad and yet so good. And so short.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I forget my Prince lore...was Jaida's constant little lip-quiver in character, or was that her trying not to laugh? :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If you liked that kind of Yvie, just wait for the improv challenge :allears:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
If y'all need more wholesome gay poo poo to watch, highly recommend Fire Island, with Joel Kim Booster (who also wrote the screenplay) and Bowen Yang

Not completely unrelated either because one of our beloved queens makes a cameo, a certain minty queen

Also JKB used to do a DR podcast with Nicole Byer.

So good, the unintentional creator of the Bechdel Test gave it a pass after some, ahem, discourse on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AlisonBechdel/status/1534331494721900546?t=eDG_VDHem8qHPT3yERAeMQ&s=19

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 9, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

So good, the unintentional creator of the Bechdel Test gave it a pass after some, ahem, discourse on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AlisonBechdel/status/1534331494721900546?t=eDG_VDHem8qHPT3yERAeMQ&s=19

Oh yeah, I was really enjoying all of that discourse this week. Basically, this woman who is in charge of podcasting for New York Magazine said that Fire Island gets an F- on the Bechdel test, and called Margaret Cho drab or something. Twitter loudly mocked her, with meme after meme coming out about various things getting an F- on the Bechdel test. Alison Bechdel herself eventually came out and said that the Bechdel test was basically a joke and never intended to be used this way, and then she added the tweet quoted here.

I just did a quick googling, and apparently it hit mainstream news, and the original tweeter has apologized.

https://twitter.com/HannaRosin/stat...n%3Dtrueapp%3D1

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Talked herself into a cancellation. Good work

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
There's a conversation to be had about how lesbians and bisexual women in queer media are protrayed but this isn't really the movie to come out swinging on that front about it. Though it did remind me that I need to rewatch The L-Word when I'm done with the first US Queer as Folk (which definitely has a problematic portrayal of lesbians that has not aged super well).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

There's a conversation to be had about how lesbians and bisexual women in queer media are protrayed but this isn't really the movie to come out swinging on that front about it. Though it did remind me that I need to rewatch The L-Word when I'm done with the first US Queer as Folk (which definitely has a problematic portrayal of lesbians that has not aged super well).

I always enjoyed The L-Word more than the US Queer as Folk, although it was still pretty bad. I've been watching the new L Word series, and it's pretty bad, but still just as watchable. We'll see how the new Queer as Folk goes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh yeah, I was really enjoying all of that discourse this week. Basically, this woman who is in charge of podcasting for New York Magazine said that Fire Island gets an F- on the Bechdel test, and called Margaret Cho drab or something. Twitter loudly mocked her, with meme after meme coming out about various things getting an F- on the Bechdel test. Alison Bechdel herself eventually came out and said that the Bechdel test was basically a joke and never intended to be used this way, and then she added the tweet quoted here.

I just did a quick googling, and apparently it hit mainstream news, and the original tweeter has apologized.

https://twitter.com/HannaRosin/stat...n%3Dtrueapp%3D1

I kind of hate that a legitimate criticism of a piece of gay media gets canceled because #stopasianhate
Like, Asian representation and queer representation are different animals, aren't they? And in a cliche gay movie where every character is a living cliche I think it's okay to point out that the lesbian representation is also negatively cliche? Can we stop devouring ourselves for a minute?

Maybe there's some nuance I'm missing here because I haven't read too deeply into the rabbit hole of replies but I dunno

Educate me if so!

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 9, 2022

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Bad faith use of the Bechedel test (even Alison dunked on her lmao), infantilizing gay Asian men, and being pissy that oh no in a piece of media about gay men women weren’t centered in it.

She’s also a huge loving misandrist and general rear end in a top hat.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Margaret Cho's character didn't seem like a cliche. Just seemed like her playing herself.

And yeah "X fails the Bechdel test!" was never supposed to be a critique to be applied to an individual film.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

I kind of hate that a legitimate criticism of a piece of gay media gets canceled because #stopasianhate
Like, Asian representation and queer representation are different animals, aren't they? And in a cliche gay movie where every character is a living cliche I think it's okay to point out that the lesbian representation is also negatively cliche? Can we stop devouring ourselves for a minute?

Maybe there's some nuance I'm missing here because I haven't read too deeply into the rabbit hole of replies but I dunno

Educate me if so!

Queer Asian representation is featured rarely in Western film, and when it's there, it's rarely at the center and not the butt of a joke for simply being a gay Asian. And I'm not sure if you actually watched the movie, given that you're calling every character a cliche, when there was a wide variety of representation in the film. Just because you're bothered by the kind of gay men represented in the movie does not make them a cliche, or make it a worse film for it. And I don't think anyone was devouring anyone here, someone with a following on twitter made bad take, and people promptly mocked her with memes. She apologized, lesson learned.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Poulpe posted:

And in a cliche gay movie where every character is a living cliche I think it's okay to point out that the lesbian representation is also negatively cliche?

I mean, I think that criticism would be more valid if the screenplay wasn't written by the main actor...who is a gay man. The director is also a gay man.

"They all act like stereotypes" rings hollow to me when talking about a movie actually written and directed by gay people, you know?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kind of a weird challenge. Not sure if Raja's performance was that good but she's been robbed once so like, sure.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Kind of a weird challenge. Not sure if Raja's performance was that good but she's been robbed once so like, sure.

Raja had my second favorite, behind Jinkx so I was happy with the judging. Yvie had a stronger message, but I think there was just a little bit missing in execution that kept her out of the top.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Rajas delivery was so good but it drove me mad how much she looked at her notes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm too drunk to explain why shaes runway seems so incredible to me but for some reason I'm just rewinding it over and over and watching it

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I think it was a phenomenal runway all around but yeah, Shea's look really blew me away. Gorgeous.

And Jinkx's headpiece?? Incredible!

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 11, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Great challenge. Everyone did so well. But that was the wrooong lip sync song for that top 2. Like literally any of the other 6 would've killed that song.

Big oof for the Viv, who not only got robbed a top 2, but is now blocked.

Also that jump scare at the end of the judging.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

gandlethorpe posted:

Great challenge. Everyone did so well. But that was the wrooong lip sync song for that top 2. Like literally any of the other 6 would've killed that song.

:lol: the cuts over to the other girls, you can see the "oh that's what you're doing?" in their eyes

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I like this season. Also, happy pride, everyone!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Queer Asian representation is featured rarely in Western film, and when it's there, it's rarely at the center and not the butt of a joke for simply being a gay Asian. And I'm not sure if you actually watched the movie, given that you're calling every character a cliche, when there was a wide variety of representation in the film. Just because you're bothered by the kind of gay men represented in the movie does not make them a cliche, or make it a worse film for it. And I don't think anyone was devouring anyone here, someone with a following on twitter made bad take, and people promptly mocked her with memes. She apologized, lesson learned.

Putting words in my mouth, sorry I don't like the movie you like :shrug:

Read After Burning posted:

I mean, I think that criticism would be more valid if the screenplay wasn't written by the main actor...who is a gay man. The director is also a gay man.

"They all act like stereotypes" rings hollow to me when talking about a movie actually written and directed by gay people, you know?

Well, so was Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds!
I don't think being queer sourced media places it above criticism and I really don't believe any queer films are above hollywood expectations
For Example: Why is everyone hot?

gandlethorpe posted:

I really really wanted to see Yvie lip sync that song, you could see how badly she wanted to and that lip sync outfit she had on was bangin'
I also kind of think they gave a pity win to Raja, she was good but I don't know about top 2 good

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 11, 2022

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

started watching Trixie Motel to pass the time and drat if it ain’t adorable.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Poulpe posted:

Putting words in my mouth, sorry I don't like the movie you like :shrug:

Well, so was Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds!
I don't think being queer sourced media places it above criticism and I really don't believe any queer films are above hollywood expectations
For Example: Why is everyone hot?

I don't really want this to become a derail, but it honestly doesn't sound like you've watched it if you think every character is a cliche and is hot, or that the lesbian representation is somehow insulting. I didn't see any of this "legitimate criticism" you're defending. All I see is a flippant tweet citing a commonly misunderstood and misused metric.

Moonlight fails the Bechdel Test too. If some idiot made a fuss about that and people called them out, it's not in the name #BlackLivesMatter, it's because they're being dumb. Big yikes that you jumped straight into ascribing an anti-hate crime slogan with people dunking on the Twitter main character on for a bad take (something that happens all the time on various subjects, not just social issues)

You asked to be educated, which you probably could've done by reading at least a few of the popular responses to that tweet. But maybe this article can do a better job than they or I can. (Edit: or this one, which focuses on women rather than gay men)

Anyway, if the movie's cliche, then I can't wait for "Two men talking to each other about the female protagonist of an Alice Munro story in a screenplay structured on a Jane Austen novel" to become a gay movie trope!

Poulpe posted:

I really really wanted to see Yvie lip sync that song, you could see how badly she wanted to and that lip sync outfit she had on was bangin'
I also kind of think they gave a pity win to Raja, she was good but I don't know about top 2 good

:v: I do think they were living for Raja's speech a bit more than her actual delivery warranted. For that runway though, she deserved her top 2. I actually think Jinkx took the spot Viv deserved more.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

the escape goat posted:

Bad faith use of the Bechedel test (even Alison dunked on her lmao)

It's almost a 4th rule of the Bechdel test that people misuse it. I am surprised Alison chimed in though!

edit: i should've read the above comment before jumping in, but yeah

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm too drunk to explain why shaes runway seems so incredible to me but for some reason I'm just rewinding it over and over and watching it

it looked very precise and clean when accordion pleating especially on silks like that tends to be incredibly difficult to care for so the delicacy required in keeping it that way tends to make it look shabby

shea meanwhile had ridiculously sharp pleats on some VERY soft looking fabric, and made the whole thing look unreal

she looked like some weird wizard from somewhere based on an alien's understanding of something from 1625 or something and I would watch that show

when she took the makeup off, too, the paint job was divine. It was a shoot of a look and didn't get enough attention.

Ditto Yvie's look and paint, neither of them got the plaudits they deserved from that runway, but I suppose there's no end of positive attention to give out this season.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm glad I'm not the one having to judge this.

The show I mean. There's plenty of judging going on in this thread. Actually, I don't want to judge that poo poo either.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was kind of bored throughout this episode. Jinx of course killed it but otherwise I was tempted to fast forward - which I did during the judge discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

gandlethorpe posted:

Also that jump scare at the end of the judging.

go watch her appearance in as3 some time, the naked terror is some of the best real emotion on drag race