Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

(I actually think that MHA can be compared pretty accurately with Naruto. Both have far stronger writing early on, and both have extremely good and distinct art. And both become much worse later on, though more-so in the case of Naruto.)

I agree with this but I actually liked late Naruto more than I'm liking late MHA. MHA has this nagging feeling of acknowledging how hosed things are, but also refusing to budge or really do anything with it that makes the whole thing really predictable and trite in a way that Naruto, with all it's betrayals and shifting politics and random double crosses and enemy defections didn't.

Also I liked Moriking, but it was absolutely a manga with an expiration date and it mercifully ended before it ran itself into the ground. Be interested if the author gets another gig to see if they can do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite the several godawful swerves in late naruto, it ended well enough. it was as much about forgiveness and looking ahead as it was winning a big fight. by contrast mha is entirely about winning a big fight. there's no need to change society if you beat up all the bad guys and put them in prison forever.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite the several godawful swerves in late naruto, it ended well enough. it was as much about forgiveness and looking ahead as it was winning a big fight. by contrast mha is entirely about winning a big fight. there's no need to change society if you beat up all the bad guys and put them in prison forever.

Yeah this put into words what I felt much better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it had a message, sure, but I won't give you naruto ending well. the whole final arc was bad and the epilogue was a joke. the culmination of sasuke's arc was "yeah, sorry"

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's worth it because apparently Orochimaru just got away with everything and leads a new village and really didn't suffer at all for all his bullshit. Like even Aizen got locked up on his mega-prison-chair for a bit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the price for peace was that everyone got a clean slate, even the people who really didn't deserve it. and in the snake pedophile's case, he surprisingly did turn his life around.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, he hosed Konoha simply because he wanted to see things change, and experimented on people becaus ehe wanted to live eternally. He more or less got both of his wishes by the end of Naruto. Now with Zetsus and clones he can more or less do his jutsu without the ethical compromises and the whole village system changed a lot. As weird and unearned as it feels, it surprisingly makes sense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

I agree with this but I actually liked late Naruto more than I'm liking late MHA. MHA has this nagging feeling of acknowledging how hosed things are, but also refusing to budge or really do anything with it that makes the whole thing really predictable and trite in a way that Naruto, with all it's betrayals and shifting politics and random double crosses and enemy defections didn't.

Also I liked Moriking, but it was absolutely a manga with an expiration date and it mercifully ended before it ran itself into the ground. Be interested if the author gets another gig to see if they can do something else.

I'd say Moriking may have even slightly overstayed its welcome. Or at least it was pushing it.

Ytlaya posted:

Haven't read Saiyuki or Phantom Seer, but Red Hood and Candy Flurry weren't really good enough. They had things to like about them, but nothing really stood out.

I would love to see the Candy Flurry person try again. The stuff that was good, was really good. At least to me. :)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Pure ecchi manga: Uh, Blue Box? (Really, it feels like Jump just stopped running horny stuff; even Undead Unluck is a lot less horny now. I guess Blue Box does do a great job of staying tasteful given how often the subtext is about a teenage boy trying very hard not to masturbate.)

You could have just said Ayakashi Triangle as SJ just recently moved it, and the parent company still runs it. Instead of making some weird joke about Blue Box.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pierson posted:

It's worth it because apparently Orochimaru just got away with everything and leads a new village and really didn't suffer at all for all his bullshit. Like even Aizen got locked up on his mega-prison-chair for a bit.

Orochimaru turned into a gag character, he's harmless now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTa9S0UYCrk

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The ninja war was like 1/4th of the manga and overall wasn't very good. 1000 year blood war in Bleach was worse.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"There's no way."

484-700

Holy poo poo it was.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

You could have just said Ayakashi Triangle as SJ just recently moved it, and the parent company still runs it. Instead of making some weird joke about Blue Box.

That would be the opposite of what I meant. I’m saying Triangle is bad and that all current series in Jump are fortunately unlike it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the main difference is that late Naruto was much worse about just dragging on forever, and had a couple major outright bad plot/character issues (mostly Sasuke). Late MHA is just very bland in terms of plot/characters, but it's at least not paced quite as horribly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Naruto was like pretty clearly an editor telling(asking) Kishimoto to extend the serialization.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I really just think The Great Ninja War was just Kishimoto overextending himself on a cool idea while also thinking he had to bring a lot of people back that he didn’t really need to with zero Tensei to redo their arcs. Or at least, it’s pretty easy to believe that in the context of Madara eventually being so mega-busted an alien had to come down from space that was ALSO mega busted but with One Weird Trick that existed to defeat her with the main character and his life partner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kishi openly admitted that he wrote himself into a corner by making madara too strong. but even the surprise alien attack had its upside, what with her being highly vulnerable to sexy no jutsu.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

kishi openly admitted that he wrote himself into a corner by making madara too strong. but even the surprise alien attack had its upside, what with her being highly vulnerable to sexy no jutsu.

God the forums being down when that chapter hit was such a bummer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The general problem with MHA's back half can generally being boiled down to "Man, I wish there was more of this"- i.e. making some arcs longer (like maybe having Batman Deku go on longer than like a half dozen chapters), or giving some characters more of a spotlight, or not having climatic fights end in like 2 chapters, etc.

The problem with the last like, half of Naruto to me was "Man, I wish there was a lot less of most of this". Kind of a difference there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, there were plenty of moments (most of the big war arc, for example) that I wished there was a lot less of

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
MHA has felt kind of like it's been dragging its heels for a while now. I fell off around the time America Woman showed up, cus it just felt like the series was spinning its wheels, wasting time until it decided it was finally time for Deku to fight the bad guys.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phase shifting to the universe where MHA was only 80 chapters long

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Phase shifting to the universe where MHA was only 80 chapters long

The manga abruptly ends with the introduction of Mr. Compress, as MHA was abruptly cancelled to give more pages to a new series, "U19".

This, naturally, leads to the downfall of human civilization.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MHA going to poo poo coincided with horikoshi getting assigned a new editor with a real bad reputation, so I feel the problem is that either the new editor is pushing him to do a bunch of dumb poo poo or, even worse, not giving any feedback at all and hori is just floundering trying to keep the bus rolling without any birds eye view input.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its the waste of air whose "editing" Earthchild.

So. Yes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ConanThe3rd posted:

Its the waste of air whose "editing" Earthchild.

So. Yes.

Ha ha ha oh man, what kind of dirt does this guy have to still have a job?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ha ha ha oh man, what kind of dirt does this guy have to still have a job?
My bet is that it's nepotism or he is good at brown nosing the right people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My bet is that it's nepotism or he is good at brown nosing the right people.

MHA has been keeping up in sales, and he presumably hits his deadlines and fulfills the regular requirements.

We can't know what's going on behind the scenes most of the time, but it seems like he's been doing his job and hasn't screwed up enough that it's definitely his fault rather than the manga not being workable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Conversely his scorecard is near-exclusively u19 manga (if not literally so, then farts like Samurai 8, which he should have been fired into the sun for given the media bitz they tried for that one), including Earthchild, so I'm convinced he's loving around.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 5, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Conversely his scorecard is near-exclusively u19 manga (if not literally so, then farts like Samurai 8, which he should have been fired into the sun for given the media bitz they tried for that one), including Earthchild, so I'm convinced he's loving around.

Samurai 8 getting the marketing blitz isn't his fault, if memory serves. That was decided higher up in the chain. He was just a less experienced editor getting assigned to a pro because, hey, Kishimoto had made one of the biggest manga in the world, he should know how to handle the basics by now.

This, obviously, was not the wisest decision.

Trusting your mangaka too much is a mistake for an editor, but when you're the rookie and the guy saying that he has a great idea has sold hundreds of millions of manga, it's an easy mistake to make.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If not Samurai 8 then by the time his third or so U19 came in the form of Red Hood there should be red flags because he's absolutely the common factor in it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ The main reason I'm skeptical about the editor being the sole cause is that earlier MHA was honestly never really exceptional in its plot/characters. When I think back, there aren't really any arcs that stand out to me. There are some *moments* that do and are very well executed, but I can't recall anything particularly interesting happening in the plot of pretty much the entire series now that I stop and think about it.

Fabricated posted:

The general problem with MHA's back half can generally being boiled down to "Man, I wish there was more of this"- i.e. making some arcs longer (like maybe having Batman Deku go on longer than like a half dozen chapters), or giving some characters more of a spotlight, or not having climatic fights end in like 2 chapters, etc.

The problem with the last like, half of Naruto to me was "Man, I wish there was a lot less of most of this". Kind of a difference there.

I think my biggest issue is that a shounen manga like this needs to do (at least) one of two things good - have interesting fights, or have an interesting plot. Late MHA (and honestly early/mid MHA to varying degrees) doesn't really succeed with either. Characters sometimes have interesting abilities, but they're not used in interesting ways, so the fights aren't very interesting. Which can be okay if the plot itself is very compelling, but it isn't really. It can basically be summed up as "there's are bad guys, the characters need to stop them (and maybe a couple have a relationship with one of the protagonist's friends that also isn't very interesting)."

MHA does have exceptional art (though less exceptional paneling), but that's the sort of thing that can't carry a series on its own.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 5, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the editor for red hood was absolutely at fault because that's a manga that deliberately screwed up the first arc for a meta payoff a hundred plus chapters later. maybe that's just a post-hoc justification the author came up with when it came time to wrap things up, though.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
For me, it's really obvious that somewhere around the end of Villain Arc, Horikoshi had epiphany where he realized he absolutely didn't want to be writing MHA for next two decades and decided to cut down the storyboard to bare essentials. Getting a lovely editor might have helped in making the execution worse, but I don't really think it really explains the way MHA is speed-running through its plot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

the editor for red hood was absolutely at fault because that's a manga that deliberately screwed up the first arc for a meta payoff a hundred plus chapters later. maybe that's just a post-hoc justification the author came up with when it came time to wrap things up, though.

Nah, that stuff was seeded extremely early on. It still could have been executed better, and it definitely was rushed because the manga was canceled early, but I think that was always the plan.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The last time I was really digging MHA was the gentle criminal arc, and even that had its issues with the stakes being so convoluted high when basically the all the guy wanted to do was take selfies at a school festival without permission. I think it may have been the last arc where the conflict was between characters instead of giant action set pieces.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Red Hood handled premature cancellation better than any series I have ever seen. Honestly I don’t think the “this is all a story” thing would have been nearly as wild if it didn’t also coincide with the impending cancellation.

I just want the author to come back and draw more tall girls.

PringleCreamEgg fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 5, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Indiana_Krom posted:

The last time I was really digging MHA was the gentle criminal arc, and even that had its issues with the stakes being so convoluted high when basically the all the guy wanted to do was take selfies at a school festival without permission. I think it may have been the last arc where the conflict was between characters instead of giant action set pieces.

What do you mean? If Gentle was successful the festival gets cancelled and Eri loses out on finally having a moment to enjoy herself. Seems low stakes to me, but it's very personal to Midoriya which what makes it work.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

MHA's biggest failing is that it never fully lives up to the premise of "superpower high school" and effectively jettisons slice of life, lower stakes right from the get-go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Electric Phantasm posted:

What do you mean? If Gentle was successful the festival gets cancelled and Eri loses out on finally having a moment to enjoy herself. Seems low stakes to me, but it's very personal to Midoriya which what makes it work.
That is the convoluted part, school festivals in media are usually presented as open to the public. Setting up the whole festival to get canceled on a hair trigger is just ham-fisted writing to force more stakes into the conflict. The parts just don't quite fit together right once assembled, like to make it work they had to make whats her name the accomplice a genius hacker who could disable the security system.

There was a goal in the writing to reach the (very good) smile and wave page after overcoming a trial, but getting to that point just seemed sloppy and poorly planned.