Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Surely it's somehow corbyns fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jiggerypokery posted:

Surely it's somehow corbyns fault

spectator posted:

5. Jeremy Corbyn

No list of cranks, cronies and comrades would be complete without the Magic Grandpa himself. Jeremy Corbyn is doing his level best to ensure he never regains the Labour whip, asking in the House of Commons yesterday if Ben Wallace would support a 'reduction in the NATO presence on the border' to 'secure peace in the region' – implying that Britain is, somehow, responsible for 165,000 Russian troops on the border.

His vanity cause – sorry, pressure group – the Peace and Justice Project has gone even further, sharing a Stop the War petition on Twitter urging 'the entire anti-war movement to unite on the basis of challenging the British government’s aggressive posturing and direct its campaigning to that end above all.' Talk about gaslighting.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jedit posted:

imperialist murderers are the ones we have a problem with.

best of luck with that messaging outside of western europe and north america

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It worked out much better after WW2 when we humiliated the ideology instead, removed it's symbols, destroyed it's altars.

Give Putin an out where he can blame the whole thing on Kyrill and Dugin and hang them upside down outside a garage.

Problem is that Russia has one of the largest nuclear arsenals in the world. There is an extremely hard upper limit on what anyone can do to the country and its government.

This is doubly unfortunate because the whole incident creates a cast-iron case for global nuclear proliferation as the only truly trustworthy defence against imperialism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why any ideas about regime change or taking Putin out are delusional nonsense, unless his own chef decides to rat poison him like Stalin. But there are softer outs available, and it was Russia's own brand of nonsense in the form of the Holy Rus idea that they just deserve a sphere of influence because the universe says so running head first against the material reality of the people actually living there that started the whole thing, and people like Kyrill are unpopular enough globally that a whole bunch of Russian Orthodox dioceses just became Ukrainian or Greek to distance themselves from his ravings, so it's far more within the bounds of reality that those sorts of people get removed (euphemistically or otherwise) and then the sanctions go away and everyone just sorta pretends that it was all the fault of the bad ideologues.

And so, social progress was made.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Given that they are the source of their own humiliation I’m not exactly sure how anyone else is supposed to stop them feeling humiliated.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

we should of let them be in eurovision

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Schrodinger's nuclear arsenal:

putin is going to personally nuke your house tomorrow but also regime change is both necessary and realistic and we'll have them balkanised into wessex and mercia style regional identities within 3 months of the last big mac being airlifted out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If only Ukraine would simply stop resisting and just give Russia more of its territory, then maybe the aggressor would stop being so aggressive. It's all Ukraine's fault, and NATO countries for offering Ukraine the tools to fight back. We should listen to Frenchie....

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There is an assumption here that France or Germany have a meaningful say in how this conflict ends. They have a role, but the only people who can decide when this conflict are over are Putin and the Ukrainian people.
And one of those choices has shown that his word isn't worth squat, which makes negotiation impossible.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

fuctifino posted:

If only Ukraine would simply stop resisting and just give Russia more of its territory, then maybe the aggressor would stop being so aggressive. It's all Ukraine's fault, and NATO countries for offering Ukraine the tools to fight back. We should listen to Frenchie....

That's not what he's saying at all...

Please stop making us defend Macron, it makes me feel gross. He's a poo poo, but what he is saying here is absolutely correct and giving Russia an 'out' is the best way to maintain peace in Europe not only now but for the decades that follow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If it were me I would just walk into the Kremlin and make Putin stop.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guillotine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think isolation historically correlates fairly well with idiotic revanchist nationalism, either national isolation or alienation due to capitalism. And the idea of inflicting national humiliation on people is usually dependent on crushing military victory over them which again, nobody has the ability or will to do with Russia.

So while it might be very romantic to imagine that everyone can come together and teach the perfidious ruskies a lesson what ho, realistically that is 1. impossible and 2. probably not likely to make russia good and submissive, rather make people even more xenophobic and supremacist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean, if you crush and humiliate a nation the only way of doing that under neoliberalism is economically, and also under neoliberalism you can't punish the rich people, so it would just lead to the poorest civilians getting absolutely hosed.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

The Question IRL posted:

There is an assumption here that France or Germany have a meaningful say in how this conflict ends. They have a role, but the only people who can decide when this conflict are over are Putin and the Ukrainian people.
And one of those choices has shown that his word isn't worth squat, which makes negotiation impossible.

i mean that's not really historically true, nor ought to be the case morally. if a third-party can broker a peace that is acceptable to both russia and ukraine then they should.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, it should clearly be "should off"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Please stop making us defend Macron, it makes me feel gross. He's a poo poo, but what he is saying here is absolutely correct and giving Russia an 'out' is the best way to maintain peace in Europe not only now but for the decades that follow.
If we have to protect Putin's feelings to avoid getting nuked, then surely it follows that Putin can get whatever he wants if his feelings are fragile enough?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1533444953849974785?t=OhMXdkrRyOkDoEp8eRNAwg&s=19

All hail our queen, Elizabeth the Deathless. May she rule for a thousand years!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1533444953849974785?t=OhMXdkrRyOkDoEp8eRNAwg&s=19

All hail our queen, Elizabeth the Deathless. May she rule for a thousand years!
An immortal holo-queen dining with Paddington Bear sounds way better than a real King Charles tbh

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1533456612240855042?s=21&t=yyRmUsjnv9Oj5fCT6L1tSw

The Americans are never going to let us live this one down. Rightfully so, tbh

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TACD posted:

If we have to protect Putin's feelings to avoid getting nuked, then surely it follows that Putin can get whatever he wants if his feelings are fragile enough?

What?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We left Europe to get away from foreign videos man and The Hungarian Cube :mad:

Jimmy Savile impersonators and terrible vehicles on point tho

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry

We should have of let them be in Eurovision

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

You're arguing that to avoid further war, Putin has to be given an "out" so he can avoid embarrassment. But the problem with that is it isn't up to us to say what's a good enough out to avoid embarrassment, and the minimum viable "out" for Putin might well be far beyond the pale of what's acceptable for anybody else.

If we're forced to give an "out" because of the threat of nuclear war then Putin is incentivised to demand whatever insane poo poo he feels like, using the threat of nuclear war. The whole idea of being forced to provide an embarrassment–free exit from the war they started is a pointless tactical weakness.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1533456612240855042?s=21&t=yyRmUsjnv9Oj5fCT6L1tSw

The Americans are never going to let us live this one down. Rightfully so, tbh

A dodgy flea market scammer, a failed vehicle that the world laughed at, a japanese computer game icon, a hungarian game, and multiple Vicky Pollards
Best of British.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

we should of let them be in eurovision

I would support Russia's return to Eurovision, but only if they send Little Big. Otherwise, no.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

it's mad that 'the corbyn thread' has taken this turn, personally i think it's good tho we don't all have to all think the same all the time

will people be voting for a pro-nato withdrawl pro-unilateral nuclear disarmament left candidate again when keith steps down or have the scales truly fallen from the eyes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

You're arguing that to avoid further war, Putin has to be given an "out" so he can avoid embarrassment. But the problem with that is it isn't up to us to say what's a good enough out to avoid embarrassment, and the minimum viable "out" for Putin might well be far beyond the pale of what's acceptable for anybody else.

If we're forced to give an "out" because of the threat of nuclear war then Putin is incentivised to demand whatever insane poo poo he feels like, using the threat of nuclear war. The whole idea of being forced to provide an embarrassment–free exit from the war they started is a pointless tactical weakness.

You aren't "forced" to give an out, the assertion is that that they are more likely to agree to an end to the war if the terms are not "give us everything we want and suck poo poo" because if that's the case they are likely to keep fighting. And again, unless you have the means and will to invade russia, there is comparatively little you can do to stop them from continuing to fight.

It is entirely possible that the fighting will continue until either civil unrest in Russia reaches a critical mass, which I think is unlikely given we already know that you can keep fighting forever wars indefinitely as long as they are far enough away, or until Ukraine can't endure the war that is actually happening in its cities and killing its civilians any longer and agrees to some sort of ceasefire that concedes territory to russia because the alternative is either eventual military or civil collapse, regardless of how many weapons are being supplied by the west.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 5, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I urgently need to know how Pac Man ended up in the parade. What is it? A nod to the British video games industry? In which case it should have been Jet Set Willy or Sabreman

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or Spiky Harold.

Rustybear posted:

will people be voting for a pro-nato withdrawl pro-unilateral nuclear disarmament left candidate again when keith steps down or have the scales truly fallen from the eyes?
The past decade has shown that any nuclear deterrent that can't deter a hypothetical death cult led by President Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't deserving of the name, so we should have an independent deterrent or not one at all.

The funniest thing about NATO was the fubpees saying "lexiters are mad at the EU for things that are actually NATO, they confuse them all the time on purpose" right up until brexit and then pivoting to "why are people anti-NATO?" It's definitely guilty of a double standard on imperialist powers though.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nazi Disco

https://twitter.com/GW0017/status/1533454250260541440

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the 70s bus. Northern Soul, Black Power, Yorkshire, and the National Front checks out as a theme.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Look. Corbyn couldn't survive one scandal. are boy Boris has survived 6,587.59 scandals so we know who's has a real mandate.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

smellmycheese posted:

I urgently need to know how Pac Man ended up in the parade. What is it? A nod to the British video games industry? In which case it should have been Jet Set Willy or Sabreman

It's the 80's segment of the parade, hence the Sinclair C5's, rubicks cubes, and Timmy Mallet.

If they wanted a more accurate depiction of Britain in the 80's it would be a group of striking miners being beaten by police.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

That's the 70s bus. Northern Soul, Black Power, Yorkshire, and the National Front checks out as a theme.

Did it have "The Bins (TM)" and "Labour's The Three Day Week Though Actually It Was The Tories (TM) " on it?

And The Sex Pistols.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mega Comrade posted:

Russia has had an 'out' from day 1: Get The gently caress Out Of Ukraine. They're the unprovoked aggressor - if they feel humiliated by not being allowed to win, tough poo poo.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/allymc29/status/1533205190404460556

I think it's safe to say that this is going to be norm for him wherever he goes now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Payndz posted:

Russia has had an 'out' from day 1: Get The gently caress Out Of Ukraine. They're the unprovoked aggressor - if they feel humiliated by not being allowed to win, tough poo poo.

If that is to happen, however, it is likely to have to come with minimal punitive measures afterwards. Which I do not think is what Ukraine would prefer to happen and also I think, not what a lot of other countries would like to happen either.

Because otherwise I doubt they would agree to it. A "white peace" kind of deal where nothing substantially changes, I think is the most likely outcome that doesn't involve Ukraine losing more territory, simply because nobody has the means to enforce anything else on Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Payndz posted:

I agree, let's pump heavy weapons into a warzone. The only outcome can be joy.