Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s your wedding you shouldn’t care about what strangers think of it to be honest.
I agree, but If they didn't care what strangers thought, why did they ask Reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PancakeTransmission posted:

I agree, but If they didn't care what strangers thought, why did they ask Reddit?

Well they posted it because one of their family hated it and they need validation from the internet

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The whole point of having my wedding reception was to get a bunch of our friends and family together and feed them good food and drink with some music and dancing. The idea of hosting a party and not providing food at all is just weird.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If I hosted a party and didn't at least spring for pizza, my great-grandmother would claw her way out of her grave and break me over her knee like Bane breaking the Bat. And then make everyone a goddamn beautiful ham before returning to her slumber.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The fact they thought vending machines were a sub is actually really funny tho.

They shouldn’t care what the internet thinks but I do think her Aunt has a fair point there

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
angrily hammering the wedding reception vending machine because my filet is stuck and I don't have another $40 to get another one

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe they're Swedish

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm not a big star trek fan, but now I regret not getting a Shatner lookalike for my wedding.

I'd get Gowron to officiate

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

YOU!!! THE ONE WHO IS MARRIED NOW!!! EXPERIENCE BLISS!!!

I know that was a Klingon named Kavok but it's the same actor, just to head anyone off.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 5, 2022

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

the holy poopacy posted:

angrily hammering the wedding reception vending machine because my filet is stuck and I don't have another $40 to get another one

Those little dinner selection RSVP cards, but the choices are Almond Joy or Funyuns

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

Those little dinner selection RSVP cards, but the choices are Almond Joy or Funyuns

It’s a wedding, you get both

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA My wife wants me to wear a helmet with our son until I die of old age

quote:

So my wife and I were discussing our son’s future since he’s still a newborn and that’s what new parents do.

The topic of riding bikes and helmets came up and I said “I have no problem wearing a helmet when he’s younger.”

She took that right to “so you won’t always wear one?”

I explained that I would, but when he’s around 16 or so I’ll probably just not wear one because I just don’t care to have one on when I ride a simple foot powered bike.

Now she thinks I don’t want to be a good example to our son and if I have a differing opinion I’m just dismissive.

AITA?

Update: Love the energy in here guys! For some of you, No, this has nothing to do with me looking or feeling cool. I find them uncomfortable, and the area I live in has miles of flat rural traffic roads. Literally 1 car every 10-20 mins. Plus I ride bikes like I’m on the beach, just cruisin.

When he’s 18 he can decide for himself but until then we both will be wearing one. Some of you seem to think I was saying I was debating wearing one at all. That is not the case friends.

Thanks for all the comments, especially the ones who read the post first!

Wear a loving helmet when biking, ya idiot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Only losers and nerds die of old age, I want to die early from severe head trauma

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

With idiots like "Helmets are uncomfortable" there, nature is going to takes its course no matter how much you tell them they're being an idiot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I never wear a helmet because I lust for death, that loving poser needs to get on my level.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honestly I really hated wearing a helmet when biking 20 years ago because it would always tug on my hair somehow, so when I decided to get back into biking earlier this year I was pleasantly suprised to find that modern helmets are really comfortable to wear.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My partner started skating again during the pandemmy and I had to insist he use a helmet bc skate culture of the past was vehemently against helmets, almost like a badge of pride. It's a Thing, skating and anti-helmet culture.

I pulled up videos of modern skate guys with helmets taking bad spills and only making it bc their helmets cradled their delicate brain meats (and a few bad spills without helmets where you finish the video wondering if the person came out of that with speech intact), and he ordered one right after.

And people say haunting the Schadenfreude thread is 'creepy' and 'lusting for death'. Pshaw. The constant exposure to body horror helped me convince someone in my life to be safe!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 5, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A few years ago skiing shifted from primarily a no helmet culture, to now almost universal helmet usage. Even the old curmudgeons went out and bought helmets because they were afraid of standing out. It was really dramatic. There used to be this huge anti-helmet culture and it basically evaporated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd imagine influence from the no-helmet crowd becoming inevitably smaller and smaller.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

Is it that weird to maintain a storage unit long-term? It doesn’t seem that different from renting an apartment with a closet

Yes. Because a closet is a normal thing that comes with normal housing and a storage unit is a $300+ bill per month for things they typically aren't worth that amount and never will be. Seriously, you should see the absolute poo poo people keep in storage units. Your Ikea furniture from college isn't going to be any good by the time your kids go to school, they don't want it, and you could have paid for new stuff with how much the storage costs. Or "special" furniture. Those are the ones paying even more for climate controlled. When do you think yo'ure going to be able to use this stuff? Is it waiting for your "dream house?" How much longer is that going to take to every be able to afford when you're pissing away an extra $500/mo?

There's something completely different going on in the story in question and it's difficult to tell if the OP is a packrat or his wife is a monster. Either way this doesn't excuse a long term storage unit.

People WANT you to that it's normal to have long term storage units. That's why they're EVERYWHRE around lovely apartments and condos. They're like printing loving money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

A few years ago skiing shifted from primarily a no helmet culture, to now almost universal helmet usage. Even the old curmudgeons went out and bought helmets because they were afraid of standing out. It was really dramatic. There used to be this huge anti-helmet culture and it basically evaporated.

Looks like it really took off ~2002ish, maybe a reaction to Sunny Bono's death?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think keeping a storage unit is weird, but hiding a substantial monthly charge from your spouse is a bad thing. Being so totalitarian over home decor is also a bad thing. They need couples therapy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm pretty sure I was spared a concussion, if not TBI, twice on account of wearing a bike helmet.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

Yes. Because a closet is a normal thing that comes with normal housing and a storage unit is a $300+ bill per month for things they typically aren't worth that amount and never will be. Seriously, you should see the absolute poo poo people keep in storage units. Your Ikea furniture from college isn't going to be any good by the time your kids go to school, they don't want it, and you could have paid for new stuff with how much the storage costs. Or "special" furniture. Those are the ones paying even more for climate controlled. When do you think yo'ure going to be able to use this stuff? Is it waiting for your "dream house?" How much longer is that going to take to every be able to afford when you're pissing away an extra $500/mo?

There's something completely different going on in the story in question and it's difficult to tell if the OP is a packrat or his wife is a monster. Either way this doesn't excuse a long term storage unit.

People WANT you to that it's normal to have long term storage units. That's why they're EVERYWHRE around lovely apartments and condos. They're like printing loving money.

I'm sure someone can point out some exceptions, but really the only time a storage unit makes sense is if you temporarily don't have housing with storage. Do you have three weeks or three months between moving out of somewhere and closing on a new place? Paying for storage is probably cheaper than replacing all of that stuff. Similar situation if you need major repairs made at home, etc. When it's a known end date for a specific reason there's a use case, otherwise basically what you said - people like to pretend that the storage costs aren't going to dwarf the replacement costs (or need) of what they're storing very, very quickly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It doesn’t matter if it’s normal or not if you can afford it and want it get it. This is another case where you shouldn’t model your life around what strangers in the internet think is normal

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn’t matter if it’s normal or not if you can afford it and want it get it. This is another case where you shouldn’t model your life around what strangers in the internet think is normal

Are you new around here? Making fun of people for misguided financial choices like Bitcoin, Funko Pops, lifted trucks, manicured lawns, mismanaged restaurant investments, Disney character cameos, etc is all standard thread fare.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are you new around here? Making fun of people for misguided financial choices like Bitcoin, Funko Pops, lifted trucks, manicured lawns, mismanaged restaurant investments, Disney character cameos, etc is all standard thread fare.

I mean yeah but people should never actually take life advice from it

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
My buddy worked at a bike shop and if anybody balked at buying a helmet because they were expensive and uncomfortable he'd always say "do you know what else is expensive and uncomfortable? Brain damage." I've been riding for a very long time and when I was younger and a bigger idiot didn't always wear a helmet, now I feel naked without one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bicycle helmets do not protect against car collisions but they do an excellent job of protecting against spills, falls, and the consequences of desperate or stupid maneuvers.

The only problem with bike helmets is that municipalities, governments, and institutions present them as the only possible solution to issues with cyclist safety. The absence of a helmet is the ultimate victim-blaming avenue when a collision is caused by an entitled or distracted driver or bad road design.

As a result there is some anti-helmet pushback from cycling advocates who refuse to take part in that victim-blaming, pro-automobile propaganda. I'm opposed to helmet laws because they offer a pretext for cops to harass cyclists, who in New York are overwhelmingly poorer and less white than car-drivers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Every law exists to harass the poor and minorities so that seems like a poor excuse

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Forgot to put Something Awful forums memberships on your list. smdh

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The state I live in, Indiana, doesn't have a motorcycle helmet law, and it's insane how many riders don't wear one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah but people should never actually take life advice from it

Sage advice from one of the most ignored posters on SA. Have you cracked the top 20 yet? I know you're heading that way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Zzulu posted:

If you are so mentally disabled you can't even clean up after yourself and you need your mom to fly out to take care of you maybe you should be in special programs and special housing and stuff

lol those sure exist and aren't 100% full

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I paid ten dollars for an internet forum account, AITA?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every law exists to harass the poor and minorities so that seems like a poor excuse

Cops in particular despise cyclists in New York City. I wear a helmet for my own protection as a daily commuter but if our bikeshare program mandated helmets it would fail. That bikeshare does tremendous work improving transit equality and outcomes with our crumbling subways and congested, unreliable buses.

The real solution is to ban private cars from the overwhelming majority of urban streets and abolish free parking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Motronic posted:

Sage advice from one of the most ignored posters on SA. Have you cracked the top 20 yet? I know you're heading that way.

I think I’m top ten? I don’t think you can check on mobile and I haven’t used an actual computer for that stuff in a long time.

Doesn’t really effect my point either way, as the most popular posters turn out to be terrible people anyway

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, I sometimes see people say “well they don’t wear helmets in Amsterdam!!!” and I’m like yeah, that’s because their infrastructure isn’t homicidally car-centric, and they have actual bicycle infrastructure and not just these bullshit sharrows and maybe a stripe of paint on the road

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think I’m top ten? I don’t think you can check on mobile and I haven’t used an actual computer for that stuff in a long time.

Doesn’t really effect my point either way, as the most popular posters turn out to be terrible people anyway

You're #30, right behind Three Olives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I found the ultimate solution:
1. let Mr. dumbass ride around without his helmet.
2. take a big rear end life insurance policy out on Mr. dumb rear end
3. wait for the inevitable to happen
4. collect the sweet payout
5. Collect a new husband

I call it the black widow

DeeplyConcerned fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 5, 2022