Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

As someone who stopped watching wrestling as a youngun circa 2002 and came back to it in 2021 for AEW specifically(and have recruited a couple of other lapsed viewers who also love it), I never understand what about it was supposed to put me off. A lot of the things that get cited often by online weirds with axes to grind are things I found intriguing

They literally think that the only wrestling is WWE style sports entertainment that can attract viewers and people like you don't exist. The origins of it date back further than AEW, they used to say the same thing about indies in general, then later NJPW, and the funniest was when they said it about NXT which was a WWE product itself except that wrestling fans also loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fish Of Doom posted:

Lol I love Gareth realizing that WWE is bad.

AEWGareth is coming

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'm not like those dumb rear end dumb stupid dumb smarks that I hate, which makes me a casual fan. SO obviously me tastes are exactly what casuals want.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

As someone who stopped watching wrestling as a youngun circa 2002 and came back to it in 2021 for AEW specifically(and have recruited a couple of other lapsed viewers who also love it), I never understand what about it was supposed to put me off. A lot of the things that get cited often by online weirds with axes to grind are things I found intriguing

Sup fellow former lapsed fan. The average person who continued to watch 2 decades of wwe dogshit after wcw died has absolute swiss cheese brain

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
a combo

https://twitter.com/DoctorMortula/status/1533289954901622790
https://twitter.com/DoctorMortula/status/1533291805705482240

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's true, I did a survey.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/Converge241/status/1533256948166057985?t=qx7ko_MjWpH0eofvVgRl1g&s=19

WWE would NEVER put wrestlers who couldn't win in a number one contenders battle royal!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Eight out of ten mall goths only know Bret Hart from his Simpsons episode

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/DoctorMortula/status/1531054610147942402?s=20&t=A8Lae6p4LhR9cvvLFWHoCQ

It is I, the fabled casual fan. Playing Fire Pro, tweeting only about wrestling, and endlessly in Dave Meltzers replies

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rarity posted:

AEWGareth is coming

No thanks. We don't want him.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
*Disgusted Jim Ross voice*
"Artsy dilettantes...."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jackewicz more like Jackoffwicz.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vandar posted:

No thanks. We don't want him.

More ex-WWE guy hatred :(

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
80% of people who bought NWO shirts in the 90s probably didn't know who Bruno Sammartino was. What's their loving point?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vince will kill me but 70% of people who bought hulkamania shirts in 1987 didn't know who bruno was

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i forgot bruno was back in wwf around that time. i lied bigly. no one can do anything about it

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

60% of these stats seem made up

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

https://twitter.com/DoctorMortula/status/1531090137802743811

Schrodinger's PPV, somehow both paid for and not paid for at the same time :thunk:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
to be fair to the rear end in a top hat online, they're talking about two different PPVs in those two posts.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

80% of people who bought NWO shirts in the 90s probably didn't know who Bruno Sammartino was. What's their loving point?

We don't talk about Bruno.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/DoctorMortula/status/1531090137802743811

Schrodinger's PPV, somehow both paid for and not paid for at the same time :thunk:

The first tweet (responding to the "initial roster" one) was about Double Or Nothing 2019

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ditto.

Also this thread is a great way to see people argue nonsense takes about trivial topics like wrestling.

It's unfortunate how often I need to cleanse my soul after encountering intentionally harmful tweets about abortion, war, gender, covid, immigration, etc.

Thank you thread contributors for having the patience to find and share the ramblings of these online goofs, it brings a lot of chuckles.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Keith Jackewicz was briefly the perfect Meltzer Twitter foil: he spoiled it by getting ONE SINGLE FOLLOWER, but he still does not actually follow anyone himself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chris James 2 posted:

The first tweet (responding to the "initial roster" one) was about Double Or Nothing 2019

my bad, with how close they were together I thought they were talking about the same one

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/realbshannon3/status/1533493668472049665?s=21&t=Oou0huOnMHlTMK6M5FaNCg

I know a thing or two about numerology

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

There a certain type of fanboy that is just chasing the feeling they felt consuming a previous version of the product, which is obviously impossible. They hate everything new because they're deluded into thinking that feeling came purely from world of warcraft/star wars/etc. and not anything else going on in their lives at the time. Obviously any difference between the new thing and their idealized version is a flaw. You could give them exactly what they ask for and they'd still reject it.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
666= Ronald Wilson Reagan

Bray's running for president.

Let him in (the White House)

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 6, 2022

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

aew caught plagiarizing again

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

little munchkin posted:

There a certain type of fanboy that is just chasing the feeling they felt consuming a previous version of the product, which is obviously impossible. They hate everything new because they're deluded into thinking that feeling came purely from world of warcraft/star wars/etc. and not anything else going on in their lives at the time. Obviously any difference between the new thing and their idealized version is a flaw. You could give them exactly what they ask for and they'd still reject it.

It's funny because I watched wrestling regularly through the 90's until around 2005 and then sporadically until like 2010ish and the reason AEW appealed to me is that it reminded me of what I grew up with with a lot of the stupid poo poo cut out.

It feels way more like the WWF/WCW/ECW prime years than WWE does.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

how embarrassing for them, tony khan should be ashamed - person who only just learned of this belts existence

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Award that dude with a new version of that belt where all of the logos and flags are replaced with laugh crying emojis.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Posting superstar Occasionaldrinker is back with a post titled “Seeing Stone Cold and Jeff Jarrett on the same podcast is more shocking than seeing Cornette and Russo drinking out of the same frostee at Wendy's. But when you think about it has any wrestler defied the odds more than Double J? I think it's time for an analysis of Jeff Jarrett's legacy.”

quote:

In 1996 upon arriving in WCW for the first time and falling down into mid card purgatory if you would have predicted Jeff Jarrett would go on to win 4 WCW world championships you would have been laughed at.
In 1997 after the failed pipe bomb for his return on Raw if you proclaimed Jeff Jarrett would have a better career than his fellow WWF New Generation brethren Yokozuna, Hall, Nash and Lex Luger? You would have been laughed at.
In 1998 when Steve Austin came out to the ring and stunned Jarrett and mocked his strut if you would have said they would have recorded a podcast together you would have been laughed at.
In late 1999 after holding up Vince for money if you would have proclaimed that he would be in the WWE hall of fame someday you would have been laughed at.
In 2001 when Vince fired him on the final episode of WCW Nitro if you would have said he would go on to found a company that would one day get as big as WCW and compete with WWE you would have been laughed at.
In 2016 when Jarrett lost control of his company, his new startup GFW failed and he dealt with a DUI arrest if you would have proclaimed he would go on to an executive position with WWE dealing with the live events side of the equation you would have been laughed at.
Well who's laughing now slapnuts?
Ya know I am not the biggest fan of his character. I didn't like how he got involved with Angle's wife or drove drunk. I know he made lots of booking mistakes. But drat this has to be one of the most resilient guys in the history of this industry.
In another post I said Jarrett was the best wrestler of the 2000's decade in terms of wrestling accomplishments. 4 WCW championships and 6 TNA championships. He is tied with John Cena and Ric Flair with 16 total world championships even though WWE only counts WWE, WCW and ECW championship reigns in their history.
Honestly this guy can become a major player in WWE moving forward. I feel its a way better plan for him than starting his own promotion with Conrad. I think it would also be cool if he could have a retirement match with Cody given the history between the Rhodes and the Jarretts.
He wasn't as big as Steve Austin. But outside of Hogan and Rock who is?
He wasn't as successful a politician as Hogan and Triple H. But arguably up there with the very best of them.
He was not the best ring technician but I dont recall a bad Jeff Jarrett match or Jeff Jarrett botch. He never injured anyone.
Double J had a great career. In terms of success in the wrestling business he is top 10 all time. Even if he's not a top 10 wrestler.
I'd say thats a hell of a legacy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Posting superstar Occasionaldrinker is back with a post titled “Seeing Stone Cold and Jeff Jarrett on the same podcast is more shocking than seeing Cornette and Russo drinking out of the same frostee at Wendy's. But when you think about it has any wrestler defied the odds more than Double J? I think it's time for an analysis of Jeff Jarrett's legacy.”

he's right, nobody in wrestling has been better at failing upward than Jeff Jarrett

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

jeff jarrett is the most successful indie guy since NXT 2.0 started, he had one match in GCW and got signed

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/_AmandaSavage/status/1533648676458930176?t=HC9DCLZBPx2PyPaVKgqtTg&s=19

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/WrestlingHumble/status/1533461397102743556?t=QGWulOhEtAingVJZIqCMmQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Now1984is/status/1533473092009398273?t=u02XyKotmi1IMM1BDhE04Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/LenardW84381897/status/1533481362610593793?t=mERuxkqnJTtVh1T0an6cjA&s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/miniaturepepper/status/1533627263916326912?t=7G2ljrFO1ITYXgZdsBToMg&s=19

Love the amount of WWE brain to think the reason NJPW released this statement at 10am on a Monday is because they wanted to bury it under a WWE PPV Premium Live Event which no doubt all their fans are definitely watching

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/miniaturepepper/status/1533627263916326912?t=7G2ljrFO1ITYXgZdsBToMg&s=19

Love the amount of WWE brain to think the reason NJPW released this statement at 10am on a Monday is because they wanted to bury it under a WWE PPV Premium Live Event which no doubt all their fans are definitely watching

This is incredible

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

aew caught plagiarizing again

To add some context as to why this is the dumbest thing: this dipshit might want to look at what belt the Owen Tournament belt is based on, and what promotion it was used in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede_Wrestling_North_American_Heavyweight_Championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Humble Wrestling is definitely one of the lamest clout demons.