Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fennesz posted:

I mean if you don't want to exploit it...just don't exploit it?

It's not really an exploit, it's just how the game's economy is set up. One option for generating income has zero risk and is a whole lot better than the others, it's a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah it's frustrating how workshops and caravans are clearly there for the player to generate money but they're so bad at it they're basically pointless. Last I played it was possible to generate enough money to do something useful off of owning towns, but only the rich ones in the center of the map.

So the only ways to consistently generate enough money to field a big army are by manually buying horses in the aserai and khuzait lands and running them to the northwest to sell (and maybe trying to find some less profitable stuff for the trip back), which is boring, and constantly getting in and winning big battles against lords to hopefully generate a bunch of loot to sell, which can be super tedious. Or you can smith some bizarrely valuable swords and be done with it. It feels less like abusing a buggy system and more like compensating for the uselessness or the mechanics that look like they should be your avenues for building cash flow.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
The kingdom aspects are the most frustrating to me. Why is any system of recruiting and retaining loyal vassals still essentially non-functional?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sherbert Hoover posted:

The kingdom aspects are the most frustrating to me. Why is any system of recruiting and retaining loyal vassals still essentially non-functional?

You have to use your legendary sword sales to bribe them with millions.

But yeah its poo poo.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Hey, I managed to get 3 families to join me after taking 5 cities, 8 castles, and talking to every lord I run across with 150 persuasion.

At least the mercenaries still take my money despite absolutely hating me for not letting them sack the city I want to control.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Ardryn posted:

I'm not sure it's fair to compare even an entire team of developers/programmers to Alex, the man is just insanely talented.

alex rules

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Behold our massively detailed working game economy that simulates the trade and resource flow of the pre-industrial era!
Also there's no water transport and food production is identical regardless of season. Delicious snow-wheat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The flow of time in Calradia is itself twisted and convoluted, with night turning to day and the weather changing, yet harvesting season is always approaching but never reached.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

They've got the board games with the braindead AI

The braindead AI make me feel special thank you very much :colbert:

Flavahbeast posted:

It's not really an exploit, it's just how the game's economy is set up. One option for generating income has zero risk and is a whole lot better than the others, it's a problem

Yeah, you're definitely right. I just usually avoid problematic features like that in games.

edit for clarity

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 4, 2022

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Wasn't there a mod that combined Bannerlord with Crusader Kings 3?

I don't even care about tediously creating a kingdom in this game. I just want increasingly large and chaotic battles where I can smack somebody with an axe/hammer/etc.

To that end, they really need more varied random armies on the map, like deserters and stuff. There's a very noticeable jump when suddenly you're slaughtering roving thieves without taking damage and it's kind of annoying.

What they really need is some kind of end-game doom scenario, kind of like battle brothers or something, where giant armies of the dead/demons/what have you start razing all the towns and the goal becomes to defeat them. That would be vastly more satisfying than trying to bribe enough lords to come with you or whatever.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glass of Milk posted:

What they really need is some kind of end-game doom scenario, kind of like battle brothers or something, where giant armies of the dead/demons/what have you start razing all the towns and the goal becomes to defeat them. That would be vastly more satisfying than trying to bribe enough lords to come with you or whatever.

this was the best part of Pendor, which was the best part of warband

getting absolutely hosed by those goddamn naked ladies with wings on horseback or whatever, just getting PASTED even though you're level a billion and have 400 horsemen because you have to reengage every charge and your reinforcement rhythm is off

Pendor ruled so much

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 5, 2022

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I just got this game recently and think I'm not getting something about how to play it. I had a blast in the early game being a small time cheese merchant and killing bandits, but after a while I decided to swear fealty to a lord. It was great when they were at war; I made a ton of money from loot after battles, expanded my army a bunch, bought some nice gear, and then... they peaced out, and have remained at peace ever since. My loot nest-egg went away real quick without anything meaningful to actually loot, and cheese doesn't seem to be enough to pay for an army after the early game.
I'm kind of scarcely scraping by, but it's definitely taken the wind out of where things seemed to be going. I started another war by myself by attacking a village, but took a huge reputation hit for it and it resulted in peace before I got to actually take anything meaningful anyway.

Was I supposed to get holdings and stuff earlier in the game? Is there some way to spark more wars?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Until you're ready to start conquering some territory I think it's best to just stay as a mercenary so you can switch factions at will. A lot of castles and some towns don't really bring much income in anyway. You could set up workshops and caravans but they tend to be rather mediocre for the investment.

Smithing is still the game's best money maker but it takes some time before you have the recipes and skill to make the real big money weapons.

If all else fails you could try downsizing your army. If you donate soldier to cities and castles in your kingdom you can at least get some influence out of it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The last couple of tiers of troops cost a whole lot to have a bunch of. Just not fully upgrading all guys will save a lot. You can just bank the tier upgrades and use them when you need them.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 5, 2022

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah for my like first year I don't upgrade my guys past tier 3.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shear Modulus posted:

The last couple of tiers of troops cost a whole lot to have a bunch of. Just not fully upgrading all guys will save a lot. You can just bank the tier upgrades and use them when you need them.

No sorry not upgrading my guys is literally impossible

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
yeah, it's nice having the progression in the serve the soldier mod, gives you a chance to get some nice armour and weapons earlier. can't imagine having a soldier with the experience and not upgrading him. only exception would be if the upgrade needed a horse.
the poor guy got the kills, give him some better armour!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't even care about tediously creating a kingdom in this game. I just want increasingly large and chaotic battles where I can smack somebody with an axe/hammer/etc.

To that end, they really need more varied random armies on the map, like deserters and stuff. There's a very noticeable jump when suddenly you're slaughtering roving thieves without taking damage and it's kind of annoying.

Lots of Warband mods have this feature including the aforementioned PoP, so that's likely the best place to look for it in this game as well. I first encountered it in Native Expansion with the dark knight invasion. I'm hoping someone replicates that style of mod for bannerlord -light fixes, QOL stuff, and just a bit of content to add mid and endgame stuff to do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wafflecopper posted:

No sorry not upgrading my guys is literally impossible

I actually wish you could just turn off the notification for it.

I know my trained imperial guys are ready to level. If i level them they lose their jav's and cost more. I don't wanna do it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the only time I'll hold off on upgrading troops is so the rest of the stack can get XP faster

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

Crusader Blade. It works, but make sure you have the correct versions of both games.

Smashing them together ended up not being the miracle game I hoped but it's crazy it works regardless.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I was thinking of giving this game another run through. I haven't played since the initial EA release, and I see it's still in EA. Is there any forecast on the full release coming out soon? I have no idea what would be missing from the full release either way I'm just more interested in playing when the developers think it's 1.0 "done".

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I was thinking of giving this game another run through. I haven't played since the initial EA release, and I see it's still in EA. Is there any forecast on the full release coming out soon? I have no idea what would be missing from the full release either way I'm just more interested in playing when the developers think it's 1.0 "done".

It will be “done” approximately three months before they announce the next one, in about six years.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ardryn posted:

I'm not sure it's fair to compare even an entire team of developers/programmers to Alex, the man is just insanely talented.
:hmmyes:

Edit: when I was building Houndswarm (the equivalent of really cheap space horse archers) in Starsector I ran into an AI bug and gave a detailed report, and Alex was able to fix it in the next patch:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18956

I've been taking a break from StarSector but yeah Alex is awesome. If only we had the technology to clone Alex and put the clone to work on Bannerlord.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 7, 2022

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EricBauman posted:

But I think they're too committed to this idea of a real economy that has rules and behaves semi-realistically, so they don't want to create large amounts of money out of nothing to give them to the player and everything should work the same for every character, from a peasant to the player. That doesn't really make sense, since they do spawn starter armies for released lords

100% this. It doesn't work, it always opens up abuse and I have no idea who finds these elements fun. I play this game to be a medieval warlord, not a merchant banker.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

being a rich merchant mercenary bankroller is cool and fun too but I still wouldn't want a "realistic" fully simulated economy because of the reasons you said.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Seems like a fair solution would be to either force all of the other entities in the game to follow the same rules (ie: not spawning armies of 250 for Kings as soon as they get bailed out of jail) or simply streamline the economy. I feel like if they just improve the economy related skills that'd do the job just fine. It'd still feel difficult to get going in the early game but once you start leveling up things get a lot easier because your taxes, workshop income, and army maintenance fees start to get under control because the skills affecting them are helping out a lot.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having all AI entities follow same rules means they starve and or suck in wars. The AI simply can't balance all that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah there's a mod for that and it comes with a disclaimer that it makes conquering the entire world very easy

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the AI army spawn thing is one of the thing that fixed extreme snowballing in early versions. Basically once a faction lost a battle or two, they would just fail cascade immediately. I think it rubberbanded a bit too far to the other end, with everything being a stalemate now, but I like this more than that TBH.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want to be able to place a town anywhere I want that could then grow and become its own city, take over small towns near it and have some building-sim stuff inside the actual city. Basically I want to play simbase but also run around with my army murdering people.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, the AI army spawn thing is one of the thing that fixed extreme snowballing in early versions. Basically once a faction lost a battle or two, they would just fail cascade immediately. I think it rubberbanded a bit too far to the other end, with everything being a stalemate now, but I like this more than that TBH.

Yeah, the other contributor was lord defections that cascaded when that happened and the map ends up turning one color really quick in early bannerlord.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
apparently they released a new beta patch that changes bunch of stuff... here's some changelogs, i'm just going over it
main one
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/beta-patch-notes-e1-8-0.452029/
troop and item changes
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/e1-8-0-troop-item-changes.452028/
economy changes
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/economy-changes-with-1-8-and-onwards.452027/

probably the biggest thing i saw was the addition of skeleton changes to the modding capabilities, i know the old realms mod was waiting for that so they can add orcs and stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Taleworlds posted:

Implemented an improved system for spawning reinforcements in battles:
-Reinforcements will now always spawn near the deployment boundaries of the battle.
-The initial wave of troops always spawns on the original path with respect to the position of the battle on the campaign map and the battle size. There are two new spawn paths that reinforcements can spawn on, one path counter-clockwise to the original path and one path clockwise to the original path.
-Reinforcements will pick the safest spawn path of the three with the safest spawn path being the one furthest away from the enemy.
-This improved system prevents the camping of spawn points by the enemy as well as the spawning of troops in the middle of an active fight.

yooooo

the trade good adjustments sound like it's going to fix a lot of things.

only OoB notes that I saw was separating field and siege saved stated, and generic bugfixes. booooo

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 10, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quote:

Made existing crafting pieces from weapon templates available across other weapon templates:
One-Handed Axe: 69 pommels
Two-Handed Axe: 69 pommels
Mace: 92 pommels
Two-Handed Mace: 69 pommels

Nice

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't played far enough to see how caravans and workshops have changed but regular trading from town to town doesn't feel too much different. In the first couple days prices vary plenty but it quickly levels off.

All the weirdness with the economy in Bannerlord makes me glad that the Starsector dev had the wisdom to back away from over simulating the economy in that game.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
That's a huge drat patch :holymoley: Almost tempted to start playing again but I don't know if I want to risk getting sucked in for another 100 hours

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I know you still don't want to have the snowballing and ease of just steamrolling lords once they first die, but surely increasing all of their settlement income and lowering the value of their cheated sacks (and tying it to settlements) would have a similar-ish effect while also making it less annoying to swat down the hordes of roaming lords that keep magicing up new armies every time.

E: they also changed army creation AI so there are fewer but bigger armies which is kind of the opposite of what I wanted.

E2: crafting experience now applies to specific weapon types AND if you craft a weapon and unlock a part you will be guaranteed a part for that weapon. Hopefully this means you can now make at least a base version of all weapon types now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 10, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Palatine guards getting a second stack of arrows seems like a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Some good stuff in there, I actually like trying to play as a Merchant trader but it really is very inefficient for making money versus just running around killing armies and crafting swords.