Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress the...
This poll is closed.
Cowboys 82 42.05%
Commanders (really, that's the name?) 38 19.49%
Giants 29 14.87%
Eagles 46 23.59%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
20-25 years seems like a short service life for a stadium, but then again the Braves did it 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wow. With how poo poo a stadium it is I thought it must have been built in the 60s or something.

Eagles and Pats stadiums were built only a few years later and aren't suffering all the poo poo that FedEx is. Only specifically mentioning those because they're two of the only three I've been to and were built in about the same era and are generally good experiences. Except the 300 level at Gillette which, just stay home at that point.

Hell, Ralph Wilson Stadium is old as poo poo but even that doesn't seem to have the same problems.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 1, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Wow. With how poo poo a stadium it is I thought it must have been built in the 60s or something.

Can’t blame it on Dan Snyder either, it was his predecessor Jack Kent Cooke. He actually got Maryland to name the drat town the stadium was built in “RalJon” after his kids Ralph and John.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have not followed finance for awhile but the desire to tear it down and build a new one may be based on depreciation and balance sheet Issues rather than anything functionally wrong

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Huge new stadiums is why the Giants and Jets are having problems selling PSLs and are all the fault of teams looking to win a Super Bowl bid. You absolutely need as big of capacity as you can get for that but then once it comes and goes you're just stuck with a big empty air conditioner looking piece of poo poo thank you Woody Johnson

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Cowboys stadium was built in 2009 and yet broadcasts are still required to call it the "new stadium" and mention his wife's art collection.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

davecrazy posted:

20-25 years seems like a short service life for a stadium, but then again the Braves did it 3 years ago.

also the falcons did it

and it looks like the titans are about to do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looking into it , owners can’t use their stadium as a tax write off after about 20 years so there you go .

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vertical Lime posted:

it’s something between the traffic and pissed fans

You mean pissed on?

Cause that's sewage.

Quiet Feet posted:

That's sewage too

Whole franchise is sewage

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Here's a dumb question from a guy who lives in Minnesota -- they're just about to tear down RFK, so why not just go back there and build on that site? That would be way better for everyone than sticking the stadium out in Fuckall Virginia.

Sure, there's not a lot of parking right there, but RFK has its own dedicated Metro station, rather than making people trek a mile in at FedEx. If you nix the two oval lots right next to RFK you could definitely get a decent-sized stadium on that footprint. Maybe offer the FedEx lots to the city for Park 'n Ride purposes as part of the deal, then the city could operate a shuttle service for them to get around the stupid laws that say there can only be a public shuttle if there's no chance of a private one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Redeye Flight posted:

Here's a dumb question from a guy who lives in Minnesota -- they're just about to tear down RFK, so why not just go back there and build on that site? That would be way better for everyone than sticking the stadium out in Fuckall Virginia.

Sure, there's not a lot of parking right there, but RFK has its own dedicated Metro station, rather than making people trek a mile in at FedEx. If you nix the two oval lots right next to RFK you could definitely get a decent-sized stadium on that footprint. Maybe offer the FedEx lots to the city for Park 'n Ride purposes as part of the deal, then the city could operate a shuttle service for them to get around the stupid laws that say there can only be a public shuttle if there's no chance of a private one.

Not an expert but I assume the reason is "Because Daniel Snyder."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've heard that from an infrastructure standpoint that it's really hard to get to. I've never been there but in Philly, for example, you can hop on a train if you're downtown or get right off I-95 and be right there if you're coming in. Both put you right there at the sports complex. Chicago has it on lock down.

Some cities make it easier than others. Atlanta was a mixed bag. You could use a train for a Hawks or Thrashers game and, to some extent, the Falcons but trying to get to a Braves game after work in time for the 1st inning was a chore.

Jacksonville, where I've lived near or in for some time, is similarly stupid because we have a skyway/monorail that goes nowhere near the event stadiums, for a concert or anything else. But on the other hand, you can ride a boat there which is pretty sweet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

The RFK site is a clusterfuck of land ownage by the federal government. The fed would have to cede rights of it to the city of DC and then DC would have to allow Danny to build his stadium, hotels, shopping, and gambling empire. Danny would have to win over all these people: https://dccouncil.us/councilmembers/

They’re some of the most corrupt clowns in all of DC, shits never gonna happen. They all hate him anyway. The new stadium is absolutely going to VA, it’s all about how much he can squeeze outta Richmond before they approve it. He’s giving up on MD, they’re all Ravens fans anyway, and the MD government hates his rear end about as much as DC.

Edit, more info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Memorial_Stadium

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 1, 2022

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Marion Barber found dead in his apartment.

He was 38.

RIP to Marion the Barbarian

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

Marion Barber found dead in his apartment.

He was 38.

RIP to Marion the Barbarian

CTE related suicide?

:smith:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Cartoon Man posted:

The RFK site is a clusterfuck of land ownage by the federal government. The fed would have to cede rights of it to the city of DC and then DC would have to allow Danny to build his stadium, hotels, shopping, and gambling empire. Danny would have to win over all these people: https://dccouncil.us/councilmembers/

They’re some of the most corrupt clowns in all of DC, shits never gonna happen. They all hate him anyway. The new stadium is absolutely going to VA, it’s all about how much he can squeeze outta Richmond before they approve it. He’s giving up on MD, they’re all Ravens fans anyway, and the MD government hates his rear end about as much as DC.

Edit, more info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Memorial_Stadium

As they loving should hate him. This is a very informative post, thanks a bunch. Does that situation change at all if his rear end does get thrown out by whatever means? It wouldn't change the clusterfuck nature of the land ownership, but maybe it would make it easier to convince the government to go along with sorting it out.

I dunno, I don't really have any investment in the Commanders per se, but everything I've heard about this new stadium suggests it would be an atrocious idea, at least to put it there. It strikes me as yet another one in the line of desperate distraction attempts Snyder's been throwing out, except this one could wind up causing 20 years of knock-on consequences instead of just being cripplingly embarrassing to watch for a little while.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not an expert but I assume the reason is "Because Daniel Snyder."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just want the DC folks to say "yeah we will fund a stadium, but only if Snyder sells the team"

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I will always hate all things Cowboys, but I had a ton of respect for Barber and how good he was. His entire tenure in Dallas for me was please keep playing JJ and not Barber, because Barber was so much better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It seems as if people known for hard hits end up with hosed up lives. If only there was a pattern of clues to follow.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sickening posted:

It seems as if people known for hard hits end up with hosed up lives. If only there was a pattern of clues to follow.

never forget this classic
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1493057655941779457?lang=en

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, I though Barber was a little underrated. He always managed to run roughshod over the Eagles and seemed hard to stop every time I watched him. Might have been because during the time he played there were a lot of really good running backs who out shined him (Edgerin James, Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, Priest Holmes and a few others) but two years in a row he averaged 4.8/Rush with double digit TD's.

Anyone know what happened to him? loving 38 years old. drat. Figure it has to be suicide related to CTE, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I though Barber was a little underrated. He always managed to run roughshod over the Eagles and seemed hard to stop every time I watched him. Might have been because during the time he played there were a lot of really good running backs who out shined him (Edgerin James, Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, Priest Holmes and a few others) but two years in a row he averaged 4.8/Rush with double digit TD's.

Anyone know what happened to him? loving 38 years old. drat. Figure it has to be suicide related to CTE, right?

He got into legal trouble and was doing really weird poo poo. Lets just say some patterns of extreme behavior that maybe having a loving up brain might cause.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

As they loving should hate him. This is a very informative post, thanks a bunch. Does that situation change at all if his rear end does get thrown out by whatever means? It wouldn't change the clusterfuck nature of the land ownership, but maybe it would make it easier to convince the government to go along with sorting it out.

I dunno, I don't really have any investment in the Commanders per se, but everything I've heard about this new stadium suggests it would be an atrocious idea, at least to put it there. It strikes me as yet another one in the line of desperate distraction attempts Snyder's been throwing out, except this one could wind up causing 20 years of knock-on consequences instead of just being cripplingly embarrassing to watch for a little while.

No matter who the owner is, the problem is always going to be that the federal government owns the land and leases it to the city. It will take a vote by congress to give that up and they never will, they have a national armory right there too. Congress never agrees on anything, poo poo will get killed and never make it out of committee. The NFL does have deep pockets and could buy an army of lobbyists too but they’d rather it get built in Virginia where there’s less red tape to bribe your way through. It’s gonna get built in Virginia, either Woodbridge or Sterling.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hurts has apparently been amazing - the best he’s ever been - in practice

14 wins baby

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Eagles gonna sweep the awards?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What's that you say - the eagles are the offseason champs again? Hang another banner, folks.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Giants fired Joe Judge. Also their draft was good. If anyone if the offseason NFC East Champs, it's them.

Also gently caress the Cowboys

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eagles are easily the offseason champ but offseason champ award in the NFC East is often just fixing the mistakes of the last offseason champ award that team received

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pretty sure the Commanders have had the worst offseason which means they should go to playoffs as the NFC East representative.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I may make the first sports bet of my life and put money on hurts winning mvp

+4000 atm

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Offseason Automated News Story Generator:
- [star player] did/did not participate in OTAs, is looking for a new deal
- [draft pick] took first team reps at [position]
- [Player with questions about skill level] had excellent practice, looking to perform better next season/move up depth chart
- [Star player who had a lesser performance previous season] in best shape of his life/doing some unique Offseason workout (also training camp story)
- [Quarterback] has been working with [newsworthy wide receiver/private coach or facility]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

[owner] sued by neglected child for back child support

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

[owner] subpoenaed by Congress to testify about toxic work culture

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Your final Commanders uniforms and helmets…

Gotta say, I love the look of the home uniforms. The white is kinda ehh though.

Then there’s this insanity:

The gently caress???

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I assume that's the color rush or whatever they're calling the alternatives these days

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Washington Steelers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

The Washington Steelers.

I feel so loving gross just typing that.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Looks like that black helmet is really just a deep deep burgundy. Hard to be sure. Too bad they didn’t do the same with the jersey.

The home color uni looks pretty good actually

predicto fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Home unis are cool but they should have kept the player numbers on the side of the helmet imo