Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Payndz posted:

Russia has had an 'out' from day 1: Get The gently caress Out Of Ukraine. They're the unprovoked aggressor - if they feel humiliated by not being allowed to win, tough poo poo.

there will be a negotiated peace with concessions to both sides at some point, you do get that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Rustybear posted:

there will be a negotiated peace with concessions to both sides at some point, you do get that right?

Nice crystal ball there. Since you've predicted the future, tell me exactly what concessions Ukraine will make

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Minsk II with new borders probably but it's impossible to know as you say.

Point was this war will end at some point and it's unlikely to be with the total and unconditional surrender of the Russian military for a bunch of reasons i'd hope were obvious but apparently aren't.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

No it's the twisted wheel, as in the famous Northern Soul club the twisted wheel.

Nazi's ruin everything obviously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the nazis had the sonnenrad before the 70's did.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Payndz posted:

Russia has had an 'out' from day 1: Get The gently caress Out Of Ukraine. They're the unprovoked aggressor - if they feel humiliated by not being allowed to win, tough poo poo.

You only have to glance at any history book to see that that just leads to kicking the WW3 can down the road.

It's possibly the Russian people could rise up and Putin could be swinging upside down from a petrol station before long but with his grip on the media I don't see that happening. So the only solution is for Russia to pretend it got what it wanted so it can back down.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No it's the twisted wheel, as in the famous Northern Soul club the twisted wheel.

Their logo doesnt look like that though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah this was the wheel

and the other thing was the Waffen SS.

Mega Comrade posted:

So the only solution is for Russia to pretend it got what it wanted so it can back down.
Or find a scapegoat, which is where soft power can come in handy. Like they can just make something up about how Dugin and Kyrill were Neo-Tsarist Digi-Mons who wanted to humiliate Russia and turn everyone into peasants, then execute them as traitors, and get sanctions lifted and a bunch of debt relief and investment bonds if that were on offer and Putin could see that as the only way out. That would be something he would have to be backed into but as long as it comes with immunity for him and some other higher ups it vastly reduces the chances of it just happening over and over again by going after the ideology and not the state. He's not going to launch nukes over a few bearded pricks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4VwFTvPaY

The official irish response to the Jubilee.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

a pipe smoking dog posted:

what's with the no talc on the dancefloor rule? why would you have 'talcum powder' wink wink in a nightclub

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like watching Northern Soul videos on YouTube, definitely some "talcum powder" consumed there.

Lovely stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

what's with the no talc on the dancefloor rule? why would you have 'talcum powder' wink wink in a nightclub
People used it on dancefloors that weren't highly polished so that they could spin around and slide. People who weren't expecting talc all over the dancefloor also spun around and slid without expecting to so it was discouraged.

Also they were sweating buckets from all the cheap benzedrine they'd consumed beforehand, so there was more a need for actual talc than euphemistic talc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rustybear posted:

Northern soul dancers often spread talc on dancefloors to make the floors a bit slippier, which made spins etc easier. It's still done in dances like salsa.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Apparently enough letters have been submitted that Bojo gets no confidenced next week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah good we'll get all the benefit of a libertarian playboy who doesn't want to do anything during the pandemic combined with all the benefit of an actual fascist who hates the environment and people during the recovery.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/allymc29/status/1533205190404460556

I think it's safe to say that this is going to be norm for him wherever he goes now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Apparently enough letters have been submitted that Bojo gets no confidenced next week.

I bet he already knows the names of those MPs, and he'll simply remove their party whips, rendering the letters worthless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Man, the BBC has employees everywhere.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mega Comrade posted:

You only have to glance at any history book to see that that just leads to kicking the WW3 can down the road.
I'm willing to toxx myself that Putin isn't going to start WW3 over Ukraine. If he does, I'll happily take a ban (for the remaining four minutes). :haw:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

I bet he already knows the names of those MPs, and he'll simply remove their party whips, rendering the letters worthless.

If they lost 56 votes they'd need two other parties to formalise a confidence and supply agreement with them or go into a ge

Not to say he wouldn't strongly consider or even do it, but it's not a worthless move

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rustybear posted:

That's the exact problem. Assuming Putin hasn't gone ethnonationalist crazy and completely disconnected from reality (the former likely, the play here is to threaten to take all of Ukraine and then fall back during peace negotiations to "Oh alright, we'll leave if you give us the Donbas and promise to never join NATO." Then when the Ukraine refuses they can say they tried to be reasonable but Zelenskyy refused to concede (things that he wouldn't have had to concede if Russia hadn't invaded).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Payndz posted:

I'm willing to toxx myself that Putin isn't going to start WW3 over Ukraine. If he does, I'll happily take a ban (for the remaining four minutes). :haw:

The normal Russian gov is corrupt as gently caress and useless.
The normal Russian economy is corrupt as gently caress and useless.
The normal Russian army is corrupt as gently caress and useless.
So their nuclear weapons will just be corrupt as gently caress and useless.
Not willing to test it sure, but I wouldn't be surprised most of their nuclear weaponry has chickens living in them or has been sold for parts.
Like everything else they had.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Spangly A posted:

If they lost 56 votes they'd need two other parties to formalise a confidence and supply agreement with them or go into a ge

Not to say he wouldn't strongly consider or even do it, but it's not a worthless move

But what would happen if Boris simply ignored the rules, refused to step down, leave No.10 or call a GE? Because that's what I think he's going to do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

But what would happen if Boris simply ignored the rules, refused to step down, leave No.10 or call a GE? Because that's what I think he's going to do.

Lead (from behind) an attack on the House as per Trump and the Jan 6th Capitol attack?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Much though I’d like to see Boris deposed, would Truss or any likely successor actually be much better for the country? If anything wouldn’t a new leader have a better shot at leading the Conservatives to another GE victory?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Halisnacks posted:

Much though I’d like to see Boris deposed, would Truss or any likely successor actually be much better for the country? If anything wouldn’t a new leader have a better shot at leading the Conservatives to another GE victory?

no but they're all infinitely less charismatic and less likely to win a GE. the only reason boris is still in post i because the other options are all basket cases

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halisnacks posted:

If anything wouldn’t a new leader have a better shot at leading the Conservatives to another GE victory?

I think yes, which is why it is very funny.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

happyhippy posted:

Not willing to test it sure, but I wouldn't be surprised most of their nuclear weaponry has chickens living in them or has been sold for parts.

If 25% of russian tanks work, their armoured divisions are going to be useless fast (as we have seen)

If 25% of russian nukes detonate the world is still probably facing more casualties in an afternoon than the entire of ww2

I don't think putin is likely to launch and I'm fairly sure if he did try he would end up with a lead induced brain outside the skull problem, but even a small fraction of those things going off is really fuckin' bad news

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Boris and Brexit gave the Tories the former red wall, with Brexit done and Boris gone they likely lose it again. Also there are two by-elections this month as a result of disgraced Tory MPs stepping down, so it would probably be better to wait for the results of those before triggering a no confidence vote.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think they can wait can they? If the letters are in? For which we've seen no source btw.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

DesperateDan posted:

I don't think putin is likely to launch

WELL HE'S LOST MY VOTE THEN :mad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halisnacks posted:

Who loving cares? Kieth will be a useless oval office too. At this point all I want is to enjoy the schadenfreude after BoJo has what he wants taken away from him. For probably the first time in his life. Will PM Truss actually be particularly worse? Not that much. They've already got a massive majority for the next 2 years, plenty of time to wreck some damage. Is it worse if Priti Patel does it than Boris? It's cunts all the way down anyway. And if a new Tory leaders does what Gordon Brown was too stupid & cowardly to do & calls a snap election while bouncing on a wave of popularity? Oh no, 5 more years of cruel neoliberal shitbags. As opposed to Labour led by a moron with fewer principles than a high school (that joke works better said out loud than written down but you know where I'm going) who have been flanked from the left by this government on more than one occasion? Cunts, cunts everywhere & not a drop of hope (in electoralism)

happyhippy posted:

Doesn't most of that apply to the British government also? Our economy is hosed, our government is rotten & it'd certainly not put it past some Admirals to be pinching a penny here & there, by entirely legitimate contracts of course. Our government's corruption just has a couple of extra layers of bullshit around it to make it "legal", still loving rotten.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

It's not a decision he makes or that relies on his appreciation of decorum. You could do it with full support of the civil service or military, which Boris doesn't have. Without that you can just have the civil service ignore him and change all the locks.

If he forces it then you can expect the next one to make a loyalist civil service a priority, but he himself doesn't have any moves better than calling a ge with a loyalist minority government unless he wants to ride out a recession with a Theresa may style paralyzed government

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's the exact problem. Assuming Putin hasn't gone ethnonationalist crazy and completely disconnected from reality (the former likely, the play here is to threaten to take all of Ukraine and then fall back during peace negotiations to "Oh alright, we'll leave if you give us the Donbas and promise to never join NATO." Then when the Ukraine refuses they can say they tried to be reasonable but Zelenskyy refused to concede (things that he wouldn't have had to concede if Russia hadn't invaded).

The other problem is, Russia has no credibility as far as any treaties would go.
Even ignoring the blatant disregard for International Laws around warfare (which I know always go out the window, but this conflict has been particularly bad for it.) Russia has time and again promised Peace Corridors and then just shot up buses of Civillians. They tried poisoning Ukranian negotiators during one of the first round of peace talks.

How do you agree to any form of deal with people like that when a deal is probably just a pretense so they can punch you on the face again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

#bojonoco

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think they can wait can they? If the letters are in? For which we've seen no source btw.

Been reported in the Times and is getting picked up more and more by others. I genuinely think the reaction to him from the flag shaggers was the final nail in the coffin.

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1533136601794093057

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skarsnik posted:

#bojonoco

Not to be confused with #bojononcon which is the letter sent to Boris Johnson asking him to consider writing an entry into the Omega Verse series.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really could have done without that bit of my brain trying to figure out if boris johnson is alpha, beta, or omega tbh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Really could have done without that bit of my brain trying to figure out if boris johnson is alpha, beta, or omega tbh.

Boris Johnson is *checks greek alphabet* an omicron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Honestly pretty funny how they were just waiting until the Jubilee was out of the way before the knife blows started raining down.