Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I don’t remember if anyone mentions the date, but when the bullies are filming El at the skating rink the camcorder shows the date, which would be an easy enough edit.

Camcorder date is set wrong, bing bong problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

they really should not have released this show next to stranger things and the boys. being so close to two actually high quality shows just makes this thing look even worse

The Kenobi thread is over there!

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonstoned posted:

Camcorder date is set wrong, bing bong problem solved

Something that happened a lot in the 80s and 90s at least with my family’s camcorders

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Going to come back to this later. I’m 20 minutes into Ep 2 and wondering why I didn’t watch this immediately when it released. S3 was fun, as a kid of the 80s the Cold War action flick vibe was right up my alley. For some reason I was apathetic about another season. Maybe I didn’t see where it had left to go?

This season seems like they took Nightmare on Elm Street and cranked up to 11 and I love it and I shouldn’t have doubted this creative team. This isn’t just as good as I remembered, I think it’s actually gone up a level.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

You may have the wrong thread?

Noob Saibot posted:

The Kenobi thread is over there!

lol yep, totally meant to post that in the star wars thread

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

it’s not a mystery show.

It was during the first season. That was a big draw for me back then. I couldn't wait to see the next episode and get some more pieces of the puzzle. The subsequent seasons have certainly been pretty fun but the mystery aspect has been relatively absent (which is totally natural).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, I really disagree with the idea that a person's recovery from trauma is linear. Besides, El's character arc was never "solved" by her finding a new support system that cares for her, the work was always going to be internal.

A lot of the season is about stripping the character of all the environmental conditions that allow her to remain stable (her adopted father, her friends and Hawkins, even the control she had over her powers) and pushing her to regress. The resistance to regression in the face of trauma is progress in and of itself.

She (whether aware or not) was holding onto some serious trauma a false narrative (even on a subconscious level) about herself. By the end of 7, she is coming out of that. We aren't at the end of the season yet, so while we're in the middle of character growth for all the characters, they've lined it up so well so far I'm trusting them that most of the characters will finish their arcs.

We'll know in 29 days though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

End of episode 4 was so good. I hope they can do more of that in the last episodes. They’ve been dragging rear end on each storyline though, Hopper has had like nothing to do this season and him and Wynona are the best actors on the show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:catstare: Holy gently caress, Episdoe 4 :catstare:

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
I agree with the thread consensus that S4 is good to great.
The Russia plot needs a big reveal in the last two eps to justify all that time devoted to it though.

I also agree with the poster that said the Upside Down doesn't need an explanation (Vecna molded it/rules it, it's a snapshot of Hawkins '83 because of reasons ). Just let it be the weird unexplained mirror dimension that scientists/military want to prod.

Also, showing a casual bike ride through the Upside Down makes it significantly less scary. They could explain this safety away with 'the Mind Flayer is away (captured?) blah blah', but please no more explaining the Upside Down.

Finally, I like the jock plot, for it shows the effects of all the supernatural poo poo on the Hawkins community. It would be refreshing if the gang kills Vecna/closes the portals/saves the world, and return to Hawkins only to find an angry mob out for Eddie's head. Another example: Lucas probably won't be killed by Vecna, but he might get beaten up badly by the jocks, which will be an important event for the character

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the jock plot as a way to finally bring in the Satanic Panic, which makes a lot of sense for a horror show about kids playing D&D in the 80s. If anything I wish they leaned more into that aspect, although I don't think the season needed an additional plotline.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Lucas gets beat up and in season 5 its 1989 and every one is yoked out and they go do battle in the upside down world like an actual dnd campaign. Somehow people get magic powers. Steve is already starting to look like a murderhobo with his jean jacket and makeshift stomach wrap.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The dnd metal guy is definitely going to shred on his sweet axe soon. They set that up in the first episode and now he’s back in arm’s reach of it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the jock plot as a way to finally bring in the Satanic Panic, which makes a lot of sense for a horror show about kids playing D&D in the 80s. If anything I wish they leaned more into that aspect, although I don't think the season needed an additional plotline.

The captain also fits into a very specific profile. That became clear when he gave his speech about how all those people died at the mall, and the purpose of them dying was so the Hawkins team could win the championship. In other words, there’s a (divine) purpose to everything that happens and it all centers around basketball captain and his life.

He thought, and still thinks, that’s he’s the hero of the story, where actually he is massively mistaken.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I AM GRANDO posted:

The dnd metal guy is definitely going to shred on his sweet axe soon. They set that up in the first episode and now he’s back in arm’s reach of it.

Every good party needs a bard

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

We get a Macross ending and the power of music is what fully saves the day. Maybe we even get Macross 7 rock lasers.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Re: Vecna/001 having powers, I found it very interesting that he specifically mentions his parentS having done horrible things yet we only see his father's guilt. He also notes that his mother knew what was going on AND specifically that she called Brenner for help. How did she know to call Brenner? I'm guessing that Mom was involved in some experiments with Brenner and maybe that's why she had them move to Hawkins.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah we likely haven't heard the full explanation yet, so I'm hopefully our friend MKUltra makes a reappearance.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I like this show but I almost wouldn’t be shocked if none of that ends up explained lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon we get an explanation for the vision of the burning crib, at least. (Unless we did and I missed it?)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I reckon we get an explanation for the vision of the burning crib, at least. (Unless we did and I missed it?)

The dad was in World War II, and accidentally called an artillery strike down on a house he thought was full of Germans, but was actually filled with civilians and US soldiers.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

We did. During WWII, Victor called in an airstrike or shelling on what he thought was an enemy position, but was just a bunch of civilians who got blown up, including the burning baby in the crib. I don't think he explicitly says the second part, but the meaning is clear.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a reflection of his own sense of guilt over the event, which his son interprets as being literally true. Presumably the mother is a similar story, or the son just hates her for noticing something is wrong with him.

We don’t need spoiler tags any more, right? It’s been a week.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: beaten

I understood the burning crib to be the father having ordered the shelling of a civilian house during the war or something like that.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1533553790485467138

:3:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah my local alternative station has it on pretty heavy rotation now too which is cool. They also did the same thing for "Something in the Way" after The Batman.

Pretty cool how movies and TV shows can bring life to great old songs.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Also, it's possible that the bad guy just makes up evil poo poo to justify his evil actions

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah my local alternative station has it on pretty heavy rotation now too which is cool. They also did the same thing for "Something in the Way" after The Batman.

Pretty cool how movies and TV shows can bring life to great old songs.

Yeah this has been in my head all week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0RAcuG2Ao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Yeah this has been in my head all week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0RAcuG2Ao

Every time someone posts this scene I watch it. It's so good.

cirus posted:

Re: Vecna/001 having powers, I found it very interesting that he specifically mentions his parentS having done horrible things yet we only see his father's guilt. He also notes that his mother knew what was going on AND specifically that she called Brenner for help. How did she know to call Brenner? I'm guessing that Mom was involved in some experiments with Brenner and maybe that's why she had them move to Hawkins.

Brenner probably wasn't doing CIA stuff all the time. He had to start somewhere. So he probably had a regular practice.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Somebody asked why Vecna was just doing things now, and it occurred to me that if the Soviets really have captured/subdued the Mind Flayer, maybe that's why Vecna can finally act.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Small White Dragon posted:

Somebody asked why Vecna was just doing things now, and it occurred to me that if the Soviets really have captured/subdued the Mind Flayer, maybe that's why Vecna can finally act.

I figured he's been doing things all this time, just learning as he goes along. First smoke things, then creatures, now portals opening into the other world.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

I figured he's been doing things all this time, just learning as he goes along. First smoke things, then creatures, now portals opening into the other world.

I kinda hope that MF was keeping Vecna contained or busy or locked up or something. And after his defeat in season 3 it finally allowed Vecna to escape.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Unknown Hero Agent Man is an absolute badass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love the flickflack on those two

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
One anachronism I notices was Eddie selling ketamine to the cheerleader. Barbiturates, valium, quaaludes maybe but no way does some hesher in Indiana sell ketamine.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dmitri-9 posted:

One anachronism I notices was Eddie selling ketamine to the cheerleader. Barbiturates, valium, quaaludes maybe but no way does some hesher in Indiana sell ketamine.

Yeah that stood out to me as well. It wasn't really a major recreational drug until the late 80s/early 90s in the Euro dance/techno scene right?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Perfect casting/acting for 001/Vecna. From his first moment on screen something about him just seemed...off, insincere, mocking. Then you wonder why Brenner would punish rather than kill an assistant who clearly pissed him off. I really enjoyed that whole buildup and reveal.

CainFortea posted:

Every time someone posts this scene I watch it. It's so good.

Agreed. That scene gave me chills which is pretty rare with the quality of TV these days.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

Yes, the gave me pause for a second to, as did one line of dialogue that struck me as a something people say in 2022 but didn't say back then but now I can't remember what it was. Maybe a "Let's GOOOOOOO" that I definitely associate with modern catchphrases, for lack of a better term.

That tiny nitpick aside, this half season was AMAZING. Whoever is in charge of casting for this show should be in charge of casting for everything. Where do they keep finding these incredible young actors? Joseph Quinn has been stealing the hell out of every scene he gets as Eddie Munson and I feel like I need a remake of Clockwork Orange with Jamie Campbell Bower as the lead in my life. poo poo even the Russian Guard has become a character I'm invested in now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I wondered if that would be recognizable to viewers outside of the US. Was that a thing unique to our weird puritan roots and sensibilities? I remember seeing stuff about D&D causing Satan worship on the news and I remember my Grandmother being worried and asking if I played it (I didn't, I was more a Star Wars nerd). I remember kids on the playground in 4th or 5th grade talking about rumors that there was a spot near the school that Satan worshippers did sacrifices at and being a little freaked out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a bit of a problem that the initial 4 friends are the worst characters outside of comb-over guy and the sack of poo poo creepy older brother stoner guy.