Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

gently caress it was today???? I thought it was tomorrow lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skeezy posted:

gently caress it was today???? I thought it was tomorrow lol

Depends on your region, the tickets for the Inglewood show don't go on sale till tomorrow for example

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Depends on your region, the tickets for the Inglewood show don't go on sale till tomorrow for example

Nanigans and I are in the same location so I missed the presale for sure.

Eh it’s cool I’ll try for tomorrow.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Today was the presale. The regular sale does start tomorrow.

I figured I needed to be on some mailing list or something to get into the presale, but like I said, I just googled what the code was and it worked.

The presale might still technically be going on. Again, the password was "FINALE"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Missed the general sale at 10am but I was able to score two tickets still. Very excited for this :)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Skeezy posted:

Missed the general sale at 10am but I was able to score two tickets still. Very excited for this :)

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Their average current setlist is pretty awesome. Wonder if they'll do anything special for the tour closer.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Excited as gently caress for Earthgang opening

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
They'll presumably have a new album out by the time the NA tour gets rolling so we'll see what happens to the sets

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Two great new songs debuted in South America recently

Silent Running - https://youtu.be/KT-d0Jo5S9k

Cracker Island - https://youtu.be/88e4gk2Daug

Goddamn Silent Running in particular is sublime. Could become an all time favourite for me

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this primavera setlist is astounding: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gorillaz/2022/parc-del-forum-barcelona-spain-4bb4f326.html

playing sweepstakes, with mos def and hypnotic brass ensemble, in 2022. holy poo poo i hope a full pro-shot exists of this set

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cracker Island (single) is out June 22. Probably an album announcement then too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of setlists and concerts and stuff, this 2 hour long proshot concert from 2 weeks ago is keeping me company and sounding amazing on my sound system while I work from home today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm1Eu2Iae00

God we're blessed. Back in the day I'd have to hope bands I like would put out a DVD of a concert eventually. Now there's stuff like this recorded and live-streamed all the time

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Gorillaz brought out Yasiin Bey again last night! Amazing to see him, looked great!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New song is out in like ... 12 hours? Or less? I'm hearing various things from 5-9pm UK time. Damon is on BBC radio at 7:30 for an interview so maybe then.

I really hope there's an album ready to announce. I don't want Song Machine vol 2 right now, I just want a whole drat album to drop. Something like the Plastic Beach days

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I hope they continue to do what they've always done and make an album unlike the others they've made

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

"Cracker Island" is out and it bangs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's goooood

No album news though :negative:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gotta be an announcement soon. Hopefully by end of week.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03T47hapAc

New Video just dropped, and the start of the next phase.

Of course Murdock tries to make a cult.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Such a good loving track
Albarn has been revitalized by Song Machine, I think

Not to say Humanz or The Now Now were bad (I loved them both immensely) but this is a real earworm

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Awesome video

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Such a good loving track
Albarn has been revitalized by Song Machine, I think

Not to say Humanz or The Now Now were bad (I loved them both immensely) but this is a real earworm

Humanz and Now Now had good individual songs, but I never got much of a through line from them. Kinda just felt like mix tape albums, especially with the Now Now. But they've been going for such a long time that they needed that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
humanz is their best album

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

If we're counting the deluxe edition with "The Apprentice" I can see this

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Agreed. Humanz definitely has a through-line to it, and a a direct emotional narrative if not a direct conceptual one (which it also has)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If we're counting the deluxe edition with "The Apprentice" I can see this

i am

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Re-listening now and Strobelite is timeless and perfect too. And Saturn Barz
It's certainly not as conceptually tight as demon days or plastic beach but I think I remember an interview saying they wanted it to have a "party at the end of the world" kinda vibe and that was a perfect feeling then and only hits harder now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't like Humanz that much as a whole. a few EXTREME bangers ("Ascension," "Submission," "Busted and Blue") but there is so much that I skip

it's too unfocused. it's like they got together again and Albarn had way too many ideas after the hiatus

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

idk I think the whole album flows pretty well, starting out as a party at the end of the world and slowly getting darker and sadder as reality sets in. Then the bonus tracks are like the survivors of the rapture or whatever trying to pick up the pieces

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I like Cracker Island, but it's a bit repetitive with the hook. I'll have to give it a few more listens. Video was great, though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plastic Beach is better.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Crain posted:

Plastic Beach is better.

:hai: It's their best for me, still. Humanz is #2. ST/DD/SM all varying degrees of amazing, tied for #3.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plastic Beach
Self Titled
Demon Days
Song Machine 1
Humanz
The Fall
Now Now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now Now is no loving way the bottom album

The only song on that album I'd chop is Idaho and everything else is nearly perfect

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Humanz
Gorillaz
Demon Days
Song Machine
Plastic Beach
The Now Now
The Fall

All good/great records

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the fall was too low-fi when it came out to be properly appreciated

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

absolutely love the fall and do not like humanz

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I should revisit The Fall, I wasn't ready for it when it came out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

scary ghost dog posted:

the fall was too low-fi when it came out to be properly appreciated

The Fall works better when you realize that at least from an in-universe perspective it's actually a 2D solo album that just got marketed as a standard Gorillaz album cause Murdoc is a greedy and jealous jackass, especially coming right off of Plastic Beach

Also regarding album rankings I'd say there's no such thing as a bad Gorillaz album but I do think Humanz feels the least like a proper one due to the heavily reduced presence of 2D's singing on many of the album's tracks compared to pretty much every other album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Also regarding album rankings I'd say there's no such thing as a bad Gorillaz album but I do think Humanz feels the least like a proper one due to the heavily reduced presence of 2D's singing on many of the album's tracks compared to pretty much every other album

I'll agree with this, I was off with saying "no through line" at all. There's a thematic and certainly a lore/story through line, but the songs themselves jump around a lot more than other albums. Ascention vs. Carnival vs. Hallelujah Money, there's a lot of variety there. Then there's Sex Murder Party...

I had forgotten a lot about this Album and had also forgotten about it's structure. It's a pretty heavy concept album and I have forgotten that the wild swings in tone and genre and energy between songs was framed with different internal phases as the crew moved through the world of Humanz.

Also totally forgot that they just straight up took a Steve Martin Bit and put it in as a track...

Still, as much as it is a lot better than I remember, I still don't like it more than Plastic Beach and Song Machine (and Everyday Robots which I count as an unofficial Gorillaz AU album where 2D had escaped Murdock or never met him).

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2022