Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I know that for older Tacomas you just swap in the entire e locker axel and the harness already has the provisions for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BigPaddy posted:

I know that for older Tacomas you just swap in the entire e locker axel and the harness already has the provisions for it.

No kidding eh?

I wonder if it has a separate switch or if it engages automatically when you put it in 4 low?

My work has a couple first gen tundras with the off road package and (presumably) they would have a locker in the back. But I don't see any buttons specifically to lock the rears. Unless its hidden somewhere to prevent accidental engagement.

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but I feel like there would be *some situations* where locking the rear in either 2wd or 4 high would be of benefit, and having it unlocked while in 4 low would be helpful. Something that wouldn't be possible if it locked automatically only when put in to 4 low, but like I said at the beginning of my previous sentence.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Makes me wonder sometimes, how much poo poo is in cars and trucks these days for options that weren't installed/available on a specific trim level.

Like is there one body wiring harness for everything and then the factory adds (motor for X feature, sensor for Y feature) and so on for example.

My truck on specific option packages comes with a locking rear diff. I've wondered sometimes if the wiring is there and I just need to install a few mechanical bits and pieces, and a switch in the cab and not have to hack the poo poo out of the wiring harness et-al because there is already wiring there for it.

Probably not, but a guy can dream.

It varies.
My base-model ("Sport") '95 Cherokee had some wiring for optional bits, but not others. I've encountered the same on some Japanese and other Asian cars. When I worked at a stereo shop, we outfitted Geo Metros with a radio and 2 speakers. All the wiring was present.
My RX-7s have some of the wiring for optional bits as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've seen 80s BMWs where every option had its own little additional harness and they all plugged into a monster fuse panel with connectors for every option, and I've seen cars with harnesses that have it built in, and a few things in between. IIRC Jeep kind of split the difference in the early 90s and basically had a high line and a low line harness, and a few sub harnesses for specific rarely sold options (overhead console, for example) other than that.

For example I don't seem to recall ever seeing ABS connectors on a harness that wasn't in an XJ equipped with it from the factory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

You might not be too far off. It's cheaper to produce a single variant of a wiring harness than multiples, and it cuts down on mistakes in production. Economy of scale and whatnot. A few manufacturers have moved to reducing the number of unique variants of parts so upgrading us usually as simple as plugging in the missing expensive components (motors, switches, heating elements, speakers, etc) and potentially flipping a bit in software to enable the feature.

Yup - can't have the wrong harness if there's only one harness option for the whole car, etc.

Combine that with CAN, and everything being computer controlled, and the number of unique components you need for a feature rapidly approaches zero. There's some recent Corollas where the only thing you need to do to add cruise control, is buy the switch and plug it in. The throttle is already controlled by the PCM, literally the only component of a modern cruise control "system" you could remove without negatively impacting something else is the drat switch. Same for remote start, because almost all modern cars have the PCM control the starter instead of it being directly wired through the ignition switch.

The upside of this is that "standard" features on almost any car include poo poo that was still considered a luxury 20 years ago, and cost less (relatively speaking). The downside is that there's no way to actually save money by decontenting a car.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Just my raggedy base model hanging out with some bros at the tuner.

Helped my old man get his tubular control arms on his 56 Bel Air. Primered his inner fenders, just have to slap black on them. Getting ready to tidy up some wiring and then put his new air conditioning in. Working under a dash still sucks, but in older cars, it's miles better than anything new.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Makes me wonder sometimes, how much poo poo is in cars and trucks these days for options that weren't installed/available on a specific trim level.

Like is there one body wiring harness for everything and then the factory adds (motor for X feature, sensor for Y feature) and so on for example.

My truck on specific option packages comes with a locking rear diff. I've wondered sometimes if the wiring is there and I just need to install a few mechanical bits and pieces, and a switch in the cab and not have to hack the poo poo out of the wiring harness et-al because there is already wiring there for it.

Probably not, but a guy can dream.

Ford will disable stuff in programming. For example, on all DBW Fords, everything is there for cruise except the buttons - but adding the buttons won't get it. You need someone with IDS to turn it on. Mustangs with light up sill plates are wired for it, but plugging them in doesn't do anything without toggling the correct bit in the lighting module (FORScan can do it, if you know what bits to toggle).

But yeah most of the wiring is there. Even my 90s Hondas had all the wiring for options they didn't have, made adding fog lights and a clock easy. Most DBW Toyotas without cruise just need the switch plugged in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup - can't have the wrong harness if there's only one harness option for the whole car, etc.

Combine that with CAN, and everything being computer controlled, and the number of unique components you need for a feature rapidly approaches zero. There's some recent Corollas where the only thing you need to do to add cruise control, is buy the switch and plug it in. The throttle is already controlled by the PCM, literally the only component of a modern cruise control "system" you could remove without negatively impacting something else is the drat switch. Same for remote start, because almost all modern cars have the PCM control the starter instead of it being directly wired through the ignition switch.

The upside of this is that "standard" features on almost any car include poo poo that was still considered a luxury 20 years ago, and cost less (relatively speaking). The downside is that there's no way to actually save money by decontenting a car.

When I had a G37 all I needed to add paddle shifters were the paddles themselves and a new plastic cover with holes for the mount to pass through. Or you could just hack up the current one with a dremel. Plug and play otherwise, which was pretty nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's almost that easy. You forget the part where you have to pay the dealer $500 to use their special snowflake $3000 tool to flip the bit in the PCM. I'm looking at you GM.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

It's almost that easy. You forget the part where you have to pay the dealer $500 to use their special snowflake $3000 tool to flip the bit in the PCM. I'm looking at you GM.

*laughs in hptuners*

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Still pisses me off you need a super secret dealer only machine to reset the oil change light on the Boxster.

C10 update… it is pissing out gas when running now so need to drop the tank again and figure out where and fix that. Going to make the AC hoses and put the vents in then Monday it is at the transmission shop because they told me to bring it by after the engine swap to make sure the 700r4 was working ok with it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

BigPaddy posted:

Still pisses me off you need a super secret dealer only machine to reset the oil change light on the Boxster.

PM me if you want a link to the latest PIWIS VM, so you can reset it yourself.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

Remote starts are a *lot* of wires.

You'd be surprised these days. I've installed two remote start modules in the past couple months, and had to splice two connections total. The Ford required zero, but the Toyota required one wire intercepted to subvert the immobilizer circuit.

It's the same module with custom harnesses for each application, pretty slick. It uses the factory remotes, just press unlock 3 times to activate it. I'm impressed for something you can just order from Amazon.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

wallaka posted:

You'd be surprised these days. I've installed two remote start modules in the past couple months, and had to splice two connections total. The Ford required zero, but the Toyota required one wire intercepted to subvert the immobilizer circuit.

It's the same module with custom harnesses for each application, pretty slick. It uses the factory remotes, just press unlock 3 times to activate it. I'm impressed for something you can just order from Amazon.

Same experience, but the custom harness did all the heavy lifting.

Also you can reprogram them to lock unlock lock so you start the car doors locked with no 3x lock horn beep.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And here I am just trying to get the factory keyless entry (which.... my car wasn't optioned with originally, it has a junkyard receiver added) to flash the drat lights when I lock/unlock. :sigh:

It flashes them if you hit the panic button. That's it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Honest question: why isn’t Remote Start a thing with manual transmissions?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You can leave it in gear and there isn’t a neutral safety switch. This is why most modern manuals require you to put the clutch in when you start it.

Back in the early 2000s there was a writer for Max Power who had a remote starter installed in a manual car without the clutch switch and he started it one day, was left in gear and went through a wall at a paint shop.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:sigh:

The lowest common denominator strikes again.

I’m also one of those elitists who always uses their parking brake regardless of transmission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would wager that if left in first or reverse, most starters will be able to overcome the parking brake.

I've seen setups for aftermarket remote starts where it requires that you arm the remote start before shutting it off, so that it knows you have the transmission in neutral.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I wish with the advent of gear shift indicators that my winter mornings could be more bearable. :smith:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Iirc the same guy at Max Power also had the door locks shaved and all that 90s stuff and left the car for a few weeks and it drained the battery so he used a brick to get into the car. Genius level intellect at work.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Did the yearly oil change in all the cars today. Can't remember the last time I had to do one based on mileage since we both shifted to WFH full time.

Like a glove

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I relocated a car from the street to the garage for a friend one time. He had started drinking and decided to crash, didn't want it left on the street overnight. I left it in 1st with the ebrake on. He butt dialed his remote start that night and welp. I didn't know it had a remote start, he'd just bought the car. That sucked.

Also holy poo poo the number of people who think they can trick you into installing one on a manual. I worked in a shop that did NOT do stereo etc work. We would and could but it was more a custom fab and performance place. Every loving winter.

Rinnnng ring
Hello?
Hey yeah my buddy said you can install remote starters?
Not on a manual.
(Suprised) what uh why does that matter?
You'll sue me when your car drives over some kid
I wouldn't sue you! I know the risk I'm taking.
You will after your lawyer asks if you want to be liable for running over some kid vs me.
Come on wtf man
Everyone else told you no too for a reason.
gently caress you *click*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Full Collapse posted:

I wish with the advent of gear shift indicators that my winter mornings could be more bearable. :smith:

You'd think but I'm pretty sure the number of cars that actually know what gear you're in with a manual is vanishingly small. The upshift indicator in my TJ is just based on calculated speed and load and would still go off in fifth gear after I regeared the axles. Drove me nuts so I desoldered the LED.

With that said it seems like it'd be possible to detect if the vehicle is moving with the wheel speed sensors and insta-kill the engine if it sees anything other than zero, but that probably still allows more movement than an OEM would be happy with.

Come in from the cold (or heat). Join the automatic-havers in a pre-conditioned cabin.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Maybe bump the starter for .1 sec vs a very sensitive accelerometer.

Or a couple cranks but no spark or fuel.

No motion ok start.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I put a sticker on it. I guess I'm keeping it a little longer. Also realized the registration still says cokor: Gold. I'll probably update it.

Edit: this marks ten years of ownership.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
New cabin pollen filter:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd think but I'm pretty sure the number of cars that actually know what gear you're in with a manual is vanishingly small.

My Altima had a shift position switch on the gearbox, with all positions wired to the ECU (also handled reverse lights).

I still have no idea why, except maybe they had considered remote start at some point? And yes, it also had a pin for neutral. There was no gear position indicator on the dash on the manual versions. Hell I don't think even the automatics had one?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On my Fiesta, Forscan could show if I was in gear or neutral. It didn't have any idea *what* gear tho.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BigPaddy posted:

Iirc the same guy at Max Power also had the door locks shaved and all that 90s stuff and left the car for a few weeks and it drained the battery so he used a brick to get into the car. Genius level intellect at work.

I mean Max Power's team was the perfect representation of car culture at the time so it makes sense.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean Max Power's team was the perfect representation of car culture at the time so it makes sense.
He's a man with a name people would love to touch but you mustn't touch it.

Keep in mind too that his name sounds good in your ear, but if you hear it you mustn't fear because his name can be said by anyone.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
7.3 injector cups are all in. Pressure test tomorrow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Plumbed in a catch can, made some JRZ remote reservoir shock mounts, put back in the floor panels, added relays to the two spal fans since the PO wired them to the stock 25a circuits prior and it was blowing fuses left and right, and solved the smoking on decel issue I was having.

Not much left on the list other than have it dyno tuned, make two 10AN lines for the oil cooler, and corner weight it. Sucks that it is summer so I can't go test right away.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Made new AN lines for the fuel since the pressure side one was leaking and I had forced it into too tight a bend while securing the lines along the frame. Tomorrow it goes to the transmission shop to try and sort out the noise it is making. If that is resolved then it will go for the exhaust gaskets, AC charge and alignment.

Still a good chance it won’t be done for Saturday so I will be taking the Boxster but still time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I spent most of my day outside or in the garage and it was delightful.

I hadn't touched the Galaxie in a half a year, and tackled the job I was afraid of and nailed it. The transmission pan is back on and new seals for the shift lever which was challenging but didn't take very long. Well it took a couple of hours that was very frustrating. But it's done. There's a pan under it and I'm on leak watch now.

Then I washed and detailed the Sierra, applying the Turtle Wax brand ceramic hybrid coating at 303 on the plastic. I also gave the International a quick wash, and I washed the back half of my wife's car because the hose couldn't reach the front of it. Also I was never intending to wash it she just came home at the right time. She was happy with the lovely job I did. At least she said thanks. It didn't sound sarcastic.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I installed a new subwoofer in the itty bitty box in my regular cab 1993 Toyota Pickup to replace the one that I blew up like three days after switching amplifiers. The system has a four-channel amp with the front channels driving a pair of 6.5" coaxials rigged into the front doors (the only speakers from the factory were two 4" units in the bottom of the dashboard playing tunes for your knees). The rear channels are bridged into a shallow Pioneer 10" subwoofer. The old amplifier started whining with RPM, so I pulled it out and replaced it with some Alpine four-channel from 4-5 years ago. A few days later the sub gave up the ghost and filled the cab with the scent of burnt up voice coil.

I ordered a new Infinity shallow mount subwoofer. It was a fraction of an inch too deep. I sent it back and ordered the newer equivalent Pioneer 10" subwoofer. It didn't fit either. I took the little decorative cover off the magnet. It still didn't fit. So I ordered a little spacer ring. It was plain unfinished MDF so I painted it with my favorite product, aerosol bedliner and waited for it to dry. This morning I was finally able to reinstall the woofer. Woo. I'm a little concerned for its life so I'm thinking of getting a small amp for the sub and wiring the four-channel up to the dash speakers and the door speakers. If I do that, I'm going to want to track down a set of the little enclosures that same-era 4Runners got for their 4" dash speakers. If you give a mouse a cookie...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

Made new AN lines for the fuel since the pressure side one was leaking and I had forced it into too tight a bend while securing the lines along the frame
What brand hardware / hose did you use? I've never done the non-pushlok before and I'm half tempted to give the traditional style a try for the two oil lines I need to make.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I use the cheap Evil Energy brand Amazon sells. Yes yes yes it is cheap knockoff stuff but I have used it for trans fluid, oil and fuel on multiple projects and it has only had issues when I was learning how to do it or like the fuel lines on the C10 I gently caress up.

Don’t bother with the cutters that are sold just use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel then a grinding wheel and out the hose in a vise with electrical tape around the end to stop it fraying. Then use one engine oil or trans fluid on the threads of the connection to help lube the hose so it slips into the connector all the way to the stop before screwing the other half in. Also make sure you use the right stuff for the application as in nylon braided hose isn’t for fuel and you will want the tool to open the front of it up before pushing the compression side of the connector in.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so how bad an idea is a total flexible AN line as a replacement for hard fuel line? Mine are crumbling and if AN isn't asking for trouble it sounds very preferable to patching or bending hard line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am using CPE line which is the reinforced rubber formulated for EFI pressures and E85. You can get PTFE line which is for meth and e100 but also bends easier. It costs more but both CPE and PTFE are fine for fuel length fuel lines.

If you are going to be running the lines close to the exhaust then go for PTFE as it resists heat more. I didn’t have to worry about that since I run the lines on the other side of the frame from the exhaust and into the engine bay over the frame. Make sure they are not moving around and running and it will be fine. If you can get access to the original hard lines then removing those and running the new line where they were is the best idea.