Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sssspp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Fine thanks. Sssspp with you?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Frazzbo posted:

Fine thanks. Sssspp with you?

Oh you know, Ssou Ssou.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Welsh State of California.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://engaging-data.com/country-centered-map-projections/

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Thank you! I've been wanting something like that for a while: map projections centered on arbitrary lat/lon coordinates, with an arbitrary 'up' direction instead of north. But all the ones I've found were solely for Mercator. This is ... an improvement.

(I still want to be able to enter, like, the location of my childhood home growing up and use the direction of the streetgrid as my sense of 'north' for a Kavrayskiy projection, though ...)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Thank you! I've been wanting something like that for a while: map projections centered on arbitrary lat/lon coordinates, with an arbitrary 'up' direction instead of north. But all the ones I've found were solely for Mercator. This is ... an improvement.

(I still want to be able to enter, like, the location of my childhood home growing up and use the direction of the streetgrid as my sense of 'north' for a Kavrayskiy projection, though ...)

I like Miskatonically accurate Africa:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Finland is not a small country:

Thanks, Mosanbros.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

adhuin posted:

Finland is not a small country:

Thanks, Mosanbros.

Antarctica morphing into the Wu-Tang logo there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ross Ice Shelf ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Antarctica morphing into the Wu-Tang logo there.

more like a particularly sick and diseased Pacman

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The World From The Perspective Of A Vatnik

e: lmfao this map does not have New Zealand

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 7, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The World From The Perspective Of A Vatnik

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't tell Russia where New Zealand is. The national security strategy is based on nobody knowing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

What the gently caress I swear I just got Mandela effected

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What the gently caress I swear I just got Mandela effected

you did. "new zealand" is a fictional country, and has never existed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine thinking "New Zealand" is real with a name like that.

"oh yeah I'm from New Ozeansoil. A country that exists"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never a problem again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Now do Atlantis

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Mano posted:

more like a particularly sick and diseased Pacman

Please do not reveal the Wu-Tang secret

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I know Iran is mountainous, but it's pretty crazy to see it being in the same realm as Switzerland while being such a large county, and with a long coastline at that.

And I had no idea Britain was so flat.

E: ok it's mean elevation, so flatness is not implied.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wish they had data for the constituent parts of the UK. I don't expect a lot of variation but I'm guessing there's not none.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not gonna lie, I kinda like Icelandic Mercator. Stuff mostly looks like, though NZ is separated from Aus, and Japan has full on hypernationalist inflation going on :v:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Count Roland posted:

I know Iran is mountainous, but it's pretty crazy to see it being in the same realm as Switzerland while being such a large county, and with a long coastline at that.

And I had no idea Britain was so flat.

E: ok it's mean elevation, so flatness is not implied.

Yeah highlands actually lend themselves to big populations p well especially closer to the equator. See the Incas, Mexico, African Great Lakes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like Icelandic Mercator. Stuff mostly looks like, though NZ is separated from Aus, and Japan has full on hypernationalist inflation going on :v:

Yeah that's really aesthetically pleasing. If Antarctica could be shifted to not be cut in half it would be perfect for a Terra flag.

Other than Gilan and Manzandaran most of Iran lives in the higher bits, I think

e: It sure rules being indo-european

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 7, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Calthalas/status/1532685268469403655

https://twitter.com/Calthalas/status/1532688391602675715

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I cannot for the life of me understand what the map is supposed to say. Maybe it's obvious and I don't realize it. Can anyone give a better explanation on this concept being displayed

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah that's really aesthetically pleasing. If Antarctica could be shifted to not be cut in half it would be perfect for a Terra flag.

You could probably rotate it 45 degrees to get it to work.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If it's Mercator it wraps around the long axis, so you can just shift the map over a little so the split is between Antarctica and South America.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand what the map is supposed to say. Maybe it's obvious and I don't realize it. Can anyone give a better explanation on this concept being displayed

transit authorities. which means traveling through those areas required different tickets

i thought the different authorities in japan could be confusing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Denmark still had multiple ticketing systems and methods for calculating the price of a journey until about a decade ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

transit authorities. which means traveling through those areas required different tickets

i thought the different authorities in japan could be confusing

The important question is - will the 9 EUR ticket controversy destroy the Holy Roman Empire, or bring it back to glory?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

which means traveling through those areas required different tickets

No it doesn't, they're only responsible for local trains and you can buy your ticket from Deutsche Bahn either way, and even if you were to cross the entire country by local trains exclusively, you'd still only need one ticket. There would be a hell of a lot of bureaucracy going on behind the scenes to split the revenue from your ticket though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
DB are very bad at running their trains on time but my experience has been that the ticket system, information and app are all very good compared to SNCF and whatever goes on in Italy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ras Het posted:

DB are very bad at running their trains on time but my experience has been that the ticket system, information and app are all very good compared to SNCF and whatever goes on in Italy

Echoing this, SNCF and Deutsche Bahn are polar opposites in my experience. One is super hyped but sucks, one is supposed* to be poo poo but is pretty solid.

*I hear part of the BRD's constitution is that the trains must not run on time

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My experiences with trains in France from last year:

- If you have to go beyond Paris and go through it you have to navigate a busy metro system and just hope you get your connection because they never bothered to interconnect their stations in Paris.
- There's a dense enough network of railway lines but regional trains further away from Paris don't go all that often. You can't just plan a quick trip to another town, it quickly becomes a whole day thing that requires you to get up at 6 AM.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Italy seems to have a gazillion different organizations running the trains, with completely separate schedules and ticketing systems and sometimes even train stations. But at least they have stations and schedules, which is more than can be said for many bus routes.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Carbon dioxide posted:

My experiences with trains in France from last year:

- If you have to go beyond Paris and go through it you have to navigate a busy metro system and just hope you get your connection because they never bothered to interconnect their stations in Paris.

I mean the metro and RER are the interconnection. It sucks but it'd be insane to construct a third separate system for train changes (and Paris is the centre of the known universe so why would anyone ever just pass through it, duh, must be part of the logic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Ras Het posted:

SNCF is run like an airline, but on rails, so a confusing ticket system is entirely on brand.

Many of the station are also located like airports. Take for example the TGV Lorraine Station.

You've never arrived nowhere so fast before.