Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

i moved to phoenix very recently

condolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

FWIW I’d rather live there than Vegas.

those are both desertic drought stricken hellholes

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

would you like a 2br 1 ba home that will erode into the sea soon? only $735k!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'd rather have that than the nicer house fifty yards closer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Sustainable.png

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

would you like a 2br 1 ba home that will erode into the sea soon? only $735k!

s'cool. you live there for a few years then you sell it to Aquaman for $900k.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what is this -- median price and # of units of supply?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

cool av posted:

what is this -- median price and # of units of supply?

Black= assessed value
Grey= taxes

Zero improvements made in that time.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1532785118544334849?s=20&t=YIGcXm_XDi1pLl5K2w0uqA

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hoping this guy is correct i want a house!!!!!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

anime was right posted:

hoping this guy is correct i want a house!!!!!!!

whoa, me too!

high five comrade let’s give our spirit energy to Goku

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1532785097149140994

Imagine?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

is there any indication that housing prices are doing anything other than plateauing there

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the city commission here is getting called out for addressing the the affordable housing crisis by building a bunch more housing.

quote:

We would like to pose a question to the Bozeman City Commission. Imagine we could wave a magic wand and dramatically increase Bozeman’s housing supply overnight. Let’s say we could wake up tomorrow to 1,000 new units of all kinds of housing. Do you think the average housing price would decrease?

Our hunch is that most, if not all of you, believe the answer is yes. Your actions are those of people who believe unaffordability in housing is caused mostly by low supply in the market, and that we can build our way to affordability. But we suggest that is a false premise. We don’t have a supply problem in our market; instead, we have a market that caters to Wall Street instead of answering the needs of working Bozemanites.

If we woke up tomorrow to 1,000 brand-new housing units, they would be snatched up by same people who are snatching them up today: 20 percent would go to wealthy people from Bozeman who can afford to move up or invest; fifty percent would go to wealthy newcomers; and the remaining thirty percent would go to out-of-state investors.
https://mountainjournal.org/bozeman-a-city-touted-as-icon-of-american-prosperity-has-deep-affordable-housing-crisis

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

hit da bricks susan!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

is there any indication that housing prices are doing anything other than plateauing there

can confirm that the sac market is just slowing down its insane rate of explosion a little tiny bit, maybe

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

there's still only like 1 not-absolute-garbage 2BR unit on the market every couple of weeks in my area and it gets immediately snapped up for 20% over.

some of the absolute-garbage units are staying on the market, though, which is...something?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

cool av posted:

some of the absolute-garbage units are staying on the market, though, which is...something?

Offer 20% below asking.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

dump this old bitch in the ocean

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Do we have a homesteading or home construction threads?

I've decided my only option is to buy 5 acres and tent it until I can scrape enough material to build a cabin.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are a few but they always peter out and fall off the front page of whatever subforum they're in.

You can get 5 acres for $5k in Blanca, CO but the crime is crazy out there and it's over an hour to Pueblo. But if you want absolute, refined crazy people, you can't do much better than the San Luis Valley.

E: Hobbies, Crafts, and Housing subforum, between AI and Pet Island.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Jun 6, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

If you read the rest of thread, he’s arguing that a substantial part of the current housing bubble has been driven by homeowners holding on to multiple properties and taking out additional loans on the equity to make payments, under the assumption that equity will continue to increase. It’s not clear to me exactly how much this is the case, as at least where I am the bubble is also driven by single-home new-tech-money buyers getting in bidding wars over a relatively limited supply. I guess we will see…

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the housing crisis of 08 led to mostly flat prices in high demand areas but crashes everywhere else. i imagine places like portland, bozeman, and austin will continue to stay elevated or maybe dip a little bit. phoenix will probably eat major poo poo again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

anime was right posted:

the housing crisis of 08 led to mostly flat prices in high demand areas but crashes everywhere else. i imagine places like portland, bozeman, and austin will continue to stay elevated or maybe dip a little bit. phoenix will probably eat major poo poo again.

Phoenix also has the whole 'no water' thing staring it in the face

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i think the data shows for 2008 crash:

Seattle went down
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS42644Q

Austin stayed flat
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS12420Q

Portland went down
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS38900Q

San Francisco went down
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS41884Q

LA went down
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS31084Q

Denver stayed flat
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS19740Q

Ornery and Hornery has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Jun 6, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

her home was 112k in 1979, which is like 475k today, which is still a lot of money, but obviously well below the median for her city

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

anime was right posted:

Sacramentos houses went to complete poo poo, all the 600k listings now were sold back then for 128-250k. IF a crash happens again here (it won't, the state government will immediately step in to maintain house prices) it wont be the same as 08, as we didnt have a third of the bay area crawling up our asses with remote work options.

not to mention a loving ton of cash rich investor businesses will immediately hoover up the now highly cheap properties

fellow millenials and those younger do not trust to hope. we have been absolutely ratfucked and the best you can get is a barely affordable shithole in a place no one wants to live OR learn to code

Ammanas has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jun 6, 2022

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The thing I'm noticing is a huge uptick in listings, not necessarily rock bottom prices or anything. That could take awhile.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

only things above 800,000 are sticking around here.

don’t have to bid 150,000 over anymore though and don’t have to waive everything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Demilich posted:

I've decided my only option is to buy 5 acres and tent it until I can scrape enough material to build a cabin.

absolutely do not buy a place to live that lacks a pipe to carry your turds far far away from you, esp if you're interested in growing your own food lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the old can live in retirement communities or whatever. Take their homes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The thing I'm noticing is a huge uptick in listings, not necessarily rock bottom prices or anything. That could take awhile.

theres bound to be a micro cycle involved where prices drop a little to meet the upper echelon of the desperate or economically secure.....until people start losing their jobs and/or private equity loses a fuckton of their money printer funds

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
My gfs parents sold this week and had to accept under asking and held 3 open houses. This is 45 minutes from Seattle.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who tf is buying a house for these prices and w these interets rates

i checked to see how much it would be if i got a loan today and its $800/month more lol :whitewater:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

actionjackson posted:

her home was 112k in 1979, which is like 475k today, which is still a lot of money, but obviously well below the median for her city

lol with such a cheap bungalow she shouldn't have any right to demand anything

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

who tf is buying a house for these prices and w these interets rates

i checked to see how much it would be if i got a loan today and its $800/month more lol :whitewater:

I don’t know because 400k at 5.5% is like $12k more a year in interest than 400k at 3%

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

err posted:

My gfs parents sold this week and had to accept under asking and held 3 open houses. This is 45 minutes from Seattle.

45 minutes from Seattle is no longer Seattle

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

The Demilich posted:

I have a buddy who did this. He bought a 5 acre share of a 40 acre land co-op financed by another coop member.. His first kid was born in a dwelling with walls made of sheet plastic stapled to an A frame of 2x4s. A year later he had finished a proper cabin to move into where they lived for 12 years before he decided that his kids spending their teenage years in the woods may not be the best developmentally and moved to a nearby town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

there are nearly 4,000 comments to this NY Times article, which I've never seen before, so it must have struck a nerve. despite being NY Times readers, there are some great dunks on NIMBYs such as:

quote:

The woman is frankly just a Karen masquerading as some progressive liberal because she protested against Vietnam when she was young and has always lived in progressive places like Portland, California, whatever. "Small is beautiful" - with that logic we'd all still be bacteria, swimming mindlessly in the primordial soup. Housing has become such a crisis because of the tit for tat relationship between government (big and local) and people like Ms. Kirsch for generations. And we all know she is the prototype for so much of what is wrong with America: small minded White people who don't want to be near anyone who doesn't look or think like them. She rather a PARK BENCH be on Kite Hill than Mr. Richardson's condo- because the bench is better for people to sleep on as opposed to an actual dwelling? She's 76, how long does she think she'll matter? The sun sets on all of us and our terrible ideas.

quote:

> “From my backyard I see the hillside,” Ms. Kirsch wrote from her Hotmail account. “Explain how my property value is not deflated if open space is replace(d) with view-blocking, dense, unsightly buildings.”

Ah, there we go. Protesting and speaking up more generally about inequality is easier than engendering tangible change. Doing the former while actively working to exacerbate inequality makes all that “activism” look like a self-serving hobby. A lot of people see themselves as progressives until they realize they might be inconvenienced; then they pick up the same rhetoric as their so-called adversaries.

quote:

What if someone like Ms Kirsch had been active decades earlier and tried to block the construction of her own home, on the grounds of preserving the status quo and open space near the hillside?

As in so many other places, NIMBYs believe the appropriate level of development in their community is the level when they moved there.