Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, it looks like the new traditions are culture gated like the Norse ones (though I have to imagine Metropolitan will be changed/made available to Merchant Republics, whenever we get those again). My next game will be trying to get Holidaying in Iberia, will see if I can get a Norse/Iberian hybrid with every tradition set in the game.

The wiki says the head of dynasty needs to be involved in the struggle, does that mean he has to have his capital in the struggle region, and to belong to a culture and faith involved in the struggle? That would be really restrictive. Or is having your capital in Iberia enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

The wiki says the head of dynasty needs to be involved in the struggle, does that mean he has to have his capital in the struggle region, and to belong to a culture and faith involved in the struggle? That would be really restrictive. Or is having your capital in Iberia enough?

I think it is that restrictive. Looking at the tooltip for Struggle involvement, there's criteria for location of capital, culture, and religion. 1/3 is uninvolved, 2/3 is interloper, you need all 3 to be involved.

I finally got End of an Era yesterday waiting for the "Iberian Foothold" decision to become available. 80% of the peninsula had de jure drifted into my empire at that point, and I personally held the remaining Kingdom titles, I think it's currently bugged.

Also, more Struggle zones ASAP please Paradox, the mechanics are really fun and add a ton of regional character. I'm sure something big for the Levant/Anatolia will come in a later Crusade-focused expansion, but it would be nice to see India get some more love. And maybe, in 3-5 years, a Struggle for the Mandate of Heaven...

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 4, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It is really annoying that Roma keeps generating new hybrid cultures that I have to then convert back to Roman even though I have held this county for centuries and control everything in it but a single barony myself.

edit: Also I am constantly puzzled by the decisions the AI makes. My vassals keep changing culture from Roman which is nearly done with Late Medieval innovations, to their local culture like Norse that's still stuck back in Early Medieval.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 5, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Access to those new dynasty legacy perks goes away when the struggle ends, which I find silly.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It is really annoying that Roma keeps generating new hybrid cultures that I have to then convert back to Roman even though I have held this county for centuries and control everything in it but a single barony myself.

edit: Also I am constantly puzzled by the decisions the AI makes. My vassals keep changing culture from Roman which is nearly done with Late Medieval innovations, to their local culture like Norse that's still stuck back in Early Medieval.

the AI generally takes the threat of peasant revolt way more seriously than the player does, so they'll prefer to convert to stay safe rather than risk having to fight 30 farmers every decade

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What’s up with wandering spouses? I thought they fixed that crap a year ago? Constantly having to pay to ransom my grandkids in succession or worse, having them be out of diplo range is some paradox bullshit.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How do you get Roman culture in the first place in CK3? I haven't seen a decision to revive it after forming Rome like in CK2.

SlothBear posted:

Access to those new dynasty legacy perks goes away when the struggle ends, which I find silly.

You keep access if you dip into them before the Struggle ends (same with Norse exclusive ones if you remove Norse heritage in a hybridization). It's really silly because these perks feel less "regional" than, say, unlocking the decision to send your son to the Varangian Guard

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I could at least buy “we’re no longer Vikings we don’t do that anymore” but I can’t make “well now that the struggle is over family and cities don’t matter make sense.” Hell neither should have been tied to the struggle in the first place.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think it is that restrictive. Looking at the tooltip for Struggle involvement, there's criteria for location of capital, culture, and religion. 1/3 is uninvolved, 2/3 is interloper, you need all 3 to be involved.

I finally got End of an Era yesterday waiting for the "Iberian Foothold" decision to become available. 80% of the peninsula had de jure drifted into my empire at that point, and I personally held the remaining Kingdom titles, I think it's currently bugged.

Also, more Struggle zones ASAP please Paradox, the mechanics are really fun and add a ton of regional character. I'm sure something big for the Levant/Anatolia will come in a later Crusade-focused expansion, but it would be nice to see India get some more love. And maybe, in 3-5 years, a Struggle for the Mandate of Heaven...

The condition that you hold an adjacent empire is checking that you hold an adjacent kingdom. Try making Aquitane

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

scaterry posted:

The condition that you hold an adjacent empire is checking that you hold an adjacent kingdom. Try making Aquitane

Oh thanks, that's good to know.

Re: Traditions, I understand the desire not to paralyze the player with choice, but there should be at least 1 or two more available to non-DLC nations, unless the endgame is 5 years later every culture having 2 DLC-exclusive tradition sets.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

SlothBear posted:

Just found this out, wish I had read this thread before resuming my playthrough today! Was excited to spend some of that 10k for ending the struggle on Coterie (Already had Inner Circle - free Court Positions is pretty good). Would be nice if it works the same as the Norse ones where it lets you continue the tree if you've started it. TBF I only wanted the second one because 10% extra skills is nice.

I tend to skip Blood unless I'm specifically trying to do a uberman run because there are better picks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

God Innovations feels so broken. I have everything possible for my era, but I need to wait 30 years to unlock the next one. I guess my 50 intelligence guy is just going to sit there doing nothing. I get it’s probably so the player doesn’t completely run away from the AI, but it’s dumb.

Also, one thing I’ve learned from playing in India is War Elephants are supreme. You have access to them even in the 9th century, and are more powerful than anything else. They cost a ton, but if you have Lord of the Elephants, it really knocks that cost down. Literally stomping my way through Asia.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I can't tell if playing African characters in this is worth it or not. It certainly doesn't have the "All the Institutions spawn in Europe and won't make it down to you" problem of EUIV, and neither does it have them "Hey we put in bugged rain events that make it nearly unplayable" problem like CK2.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Looking at Coterie, is that final perk worth it at all if it isn't your first set of Legacies? You'd spend the equivalent of dozens of disinherits to be able to do it for tyranny/prestige.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fivemarks posted:

I can't tell if playing African characters in this is worth it or not. It certainly doesn't have the "All the Institutions spawn in Europe and won't make it down to you" problem of EUIV, and neither does it have them "Hey we put in bugged rain events that make it nearly unplayable" problem like CK2.

worth it in that you can have a normal fun game of ck3 there, not in that it's not substantially different from a game in europe which is silly

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fivemarks posted:

What kind of question is this. It is worth playing an African character if you enjoy playing an African character.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mister Olympus posted:

worth it in that you can have a normal fun game of ck3 there, not in that it's not substantially different from a game in europe which is silly

Yeah I liked my Daurama mother of us all run, would be substantially more fun now that you can hybridize cultures as you migrate around Africa.

But yea it's not much different than being anywhere else on the map.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally Im waiting for at least some flavor packs to play with anyone not european or norse

I feel the next should probably be about Islam

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I've never done a Haesteinn start, but here's what I just did. I think I messed up not selecting Iberian Heritage though because I'm not a part of the struggle.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Blimpkin posted:

I've never done a Haesteinn start, but here's what I just did. I think I messed up not selecting Iberian Heritage though because I'm not a part of the struggle.

I don't think that's your problem. I saw a video yesterday where I guy did the Haesteinn start and was part of the struggle without changing culture at all.
Here's the video, if you have time maybe check it out and see what he did differently from you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlLXfT6DnY

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Blimpkin posted:

You need an involved religion too. I'm also currently doing Haesteinn->Andalusia, and I didn't become involved until I converted to Muwalladi. Norse vs. Iberian heritage doesn't matter, I think you just need most/all of your culture's provinces to be in Iberia, which your hybrid should have.

Unrelatedly, I'm with the people saying dissolution wars might need another pass. Andalusia and "Arabia's" historical dissolutions aren't a bad match, but Byzantium and the HRE keep getting exploded within a century. I want my boss fights lol.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 5, 2022

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
It’s the religion for sure. I thought maybe it was realm capital too but no, my hybrid culture is most of Valencia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't think that's your problem. I saw a video yesterday where I guy did the Haesteinn start and was part of the struggle without changing culture at all.
Here's the video, if you have time maybe check it out and see what he did differently from you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNlLXfT6DnY

This guy's Haersteinn remains an interloper all through. You can end the struggle as an interloper, but you can't take the dynasty legacy unless you're involved. To be involved, both your religion and your culture must either be one of the historically involved religions/cultures, or have at least 80% of all it's counties in Iberia. Hybridizing with an Iberian culture while all your holdings are in the struggle region will make your new culture fulfill that requirement automatically, but reforming religion is another matter.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Torrannor posted:

This guy's Haersteinn remains an interloper all through. You can end the struggle as an interloper, but you can't take the dynasty legacy unless you're involved. To be involved, both your religion and your culture must either be one of the historically involved religions/cultures, or have at least 80% of all it's counties in Iberia. Hybridizing with an Iberian culture while all your holdings are in the struggle region will make your new culture fulfill that requirement automatically, but reforming religion is another matter.

This is true:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blimpkin posted:

This is true:

Ah, I didn't watch the video to the end. But it reinforces my point, that character created an Andalusion/Norse hybrid culture, and also conquered just three Norse holy sites outside of Iberia to reform into a new religion, which existed to over 80% in Iberia, thus becoming involved.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Torrannor posted:

Thanks for the clarification.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm wondering if I set up a dynasty member to solve the Iberian crisis, will they do it themselves? If the AI is given the proper conditions, will they take the decision on their own?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Wow Haesteinn is a ton of fun, dude is 92 with cancer and truckin along.

e: I can't believe it!

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 6, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So Iberian cultures can't hybridize with each other, gotta be an interloper like a norse or a frenchman.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I get a claim on a duchy, go to war with the current Duke and win. He’s now my vassal and we have a truce. I ask him to convert, he refuses. I attempt to imprison him, he rebels. I crush the rebellion and arrest him. I now cannot revoke his titles because we have a truce.

This seems borked? My dude rose up, that should invalidate the truce no?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm not seeing the uhhh which-gender-can-fight setting on my culture anymore, where'd it go?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Trevor Hale posted:

I get a claim on a duchy, go to war with the current Duke and win. He’s now my vassal and we have a truce. I ask him to convert, he refuses. I attempt to imprison him, he rebels. I crush the rebellion and arrest him. I now cannot revoke his titles because we have a truce.

This seems borked? My dude rose up, that should invalidate the truce no?

It would be annoying, but can you just hold him until the truce ends?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Is there a way to reveal my own secret so someone will no longer have a strong blackmail hook on me? I don't care if people know I'm a witch anymore because I made it legal.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What’s the deal with Haestinn? I feel like there’s a long running joke in the ck3 community that I don’t understand.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What’s the deal with Haestinn? I feel like there’s a long running joke in the ck3 community that I don’t understand.

He's been a good character to basically go anywhere in the world with because of his viking CBs, location, and special troops and has been since like CK2

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also they gave him huge bonuses in CK3, particularly to his health, so he frequently lives to be 110 while conquering huge chunks of Europe.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Buschmaki posted:

He's been a good character to basically go anywhere in the world with because of his viking CBs, location, and special troops and has been since like CK2
Not to mention having enough health to regularly live till 100 (before current nerf/change), and enough Prestige to go straight for a Kingdom etc.

He's a good easy mode character if you wanna be/start Norse, especially after the DLC, but not start in Scandinavia.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dr. Clockwork posted:

In real life he infiltrated a town by pretending to be seriously ill, had his men drag him to the city gates to be given last rites, then while in the church leapt up and sacked the town.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

TjyvTompa posted:

What kind of question is this. It is worth playing an African character if you enjoy playing an African character.

I mean how Africa is kinda unplayable in CK2 after the Rain events were added for a meme joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I didn't play CK2 so I am inferring that there was a playfully-named event about the "Rains in Aaaafricaaa~" that was poorly tuned and somehow ruined playing in Africa at all?