Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

tildes posted:

I am once again asking for your advice. I’m at 83/91/99/80, and am trying to figure out what to do. I’ve unlocked whispering creek and the large island just recently, so it seems like my routines should change a bit.

Q1: what upgrades should I spend silver on? Right now I was thinking upgrading pets to level 6 in prep for later help requests.
For context, I have a maxed out orchard, sawmill, quarry, ironworks, and hay field already. I’ve already gotten the 1B storehouse upgrade and the 100M farm size upgrade. My vineyard is a decent enough size that I can get 4 grape juice/day plus a little wine. Right now I have a lot of the pets to level ~4, but only have the frog at level 6.

Q2: what farm supply perks would you recommend?
I have most of the S tier farm supply stuff in the library like negotiator, as well as most livestock, farming, exploring, and crafting upgrades, except for the +XP ones. I have all the orchard upgrades I can use (it’ll be awhile until I can use the +500 trees one). I have none of the banking or cellar upgrades. I also have most of the QoL and bulk actions ones. Inventory costs 105 gold for +50, which seems a bit steep given the storehouse gets me that in less than a week, but not sure what else to buy.

Q3: where should I prioritize for exploring? In terms of doing help needed requests it’s sort of obvious what to do, but unsure what to do when I don’t have an active request. It seems like exploring in the forest gets me the most money/explore via large net fishing in the large island, but I’m not sure if I’m just not crafting well. I’m usually making a mix of lanterns/guitars/whatever other random stuff like sturdy shields or fancy pipes I can make with leftovers.

Q4: for farming, I’m just working myself out of corn jail (or whatever other help needed requests pop up), and then using my grape juice on either sunflowers or cotton since they are the longest growing plants I can have. Does this make sense?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Q1: Next big purchase would likely be the 1B Farming Row, but you'll want to wait for an event to come around for that so you get an extra 200M XP from purchasing it. Other pets you can get to Level 6 would be Macaw, Snake, Squirrel, Husky, and Armadillo (in that order), but you also have the Green and Red Dragon once you you hit 85 Farming/Exploring, so you'll want to make sure you have 2.1B saved up to immediately get Green Dragon to Lvl 6 once it unlocks (Red Dragon slots in between Squirrel and Husky in the previous list).

Q2: Do you have the important Wheel/Wish upgrades (Everything besides Wheel Grease)? Those might be where you want to head next. Hold off on spending any more gold on Inventory Cap now, as you surmised. Also, might be worth getting your Mailbox space up to at least 25, if you haven't already.

Q3: Getting Exploring to 85 ASAP to unlock the Dragons is your main priority now, which means you should explore in Whispering Creek almost exclusively, as the XP gains there are much better than any other zone. This also will help net you Raptor Eggs to get your passive Antlers (and therefore Nets) up and running.

Q4: Makes sense to me. Once you get out of Corn Jail, the crop you want to try and grow as much as possible is Mushrooms (to convert to Mushroom Paste to use in crafting or to trade for OJ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

DRINK ME posted:

As a plus your Macaw also brings Large Chest 02 which you should bank for later quests that require hundreds of small screws each.

I am on Tower Investment XII which requires 700 small screws plus 100 flywheels (which are made with 7 screws each) and have given up trying to farm those chests from BRC.

buddy.farm has them at 1 in 14,677 - which matches about what I was seeing.
Each chest contains 8 screws.
So for 1,400 small screws it’d be about 2,568,475 stamina - if you were to do it just by exploration.

So now I am just waiting on the bird to bring enough chests for me to deal with this request - with a small assist from the armadillo, who brings screws one at a time.

Thank you for this -- I"m working on tower quests now and realized I have a full inventory of screws and no flywheels, so I was able to craft my 100 in time to replenish my screw stash by the time I get there.

I'm still parked at II while I wait for 100 more honey :(

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Does tower require 99/99/99/99?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Koryk posted:

4 x 92 I think.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Koryk posted:

Tower technically requires 4x92, but you are very unlikely to be able to actually complete it until you are 4x99.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks. Also, after 10 days of spamming stamina into WC I finally got my first raptor egg!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It only took me 9 Corn Quandries to get the Corn Rune! Now I'm temporarily in hops jail because I want to finish this questline. I'm at the point where my upgrades are in the $1B range but I definitely don't have the infrastructure for that yet. I'm just slowly building out my orchard/straw/quarry/vineyard while I pump out Lanterns for now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

It only took me 9 Corn Quandries to get the Corn Rune! Now I'm temporarily in hops jail because I want to finish this questline. I'm at the point where my upgrades are in the $1B range but I definitely don't have the infrastructure for that yet. I'm just slowly building out my orchard/straw/quarry/vineyard while I pump out Lanterns for now.

Just fyi, you can’t actually finish Hops Jail until farming 99.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Kalman posted:

Just fyi, you can’t actually finish Hops Jail until farming 99.

I know, but I figure I'll do as much as I can while I hunt for this rune. I'm farming 80 and I'm on 67 at the moment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hops jail isn't that big a deal because they grow fast.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Klungar posted:

Q1: Next big purchase would likely be the 1B Farming Row, but you'll want to wait for an event to come around for that so you get an extra 200M XP from purchasing it. Other pets you can get to Level 6 would be Macaw, Snake, Squirrel, Husky, and Armadillo (in that order), but you also have the Green and Red Dragon once you you hit 85 Farming/Exploring, so you'll want to make sure you have 2.1B saved up to immediately get Green Dragon to Lvl 6 once it unlocks (Red Dragon slots in between Squirrel and Husky in the previous list).

Q2: Do you have the important Wheel/Wish upgrades (Everything besides Wheel Grease)? Those might be where you want to head next. Hold off on spending any more gold on Inventory Cap now, as you surmised. Also, might be worth getting your Mailbox space up to at least 25, if you haven't already.

Q3: Getting Exploring to 85 ASAP to unlock the Dragons is your main priority now, which means you should explore in Whispering Creek almost exclusively, as the XP gains there are much better than any other zone. This also will help net you Raptor Eggs to get your passive Antlers (and therefore Nets) up and running.

Q4: Makes sense to me. Once you get out of Corn Jail, the crop you want to try and grow as much as possible is Mushrooms (to convert to Mushroom Paste to use in crafting or to trade for OJ).

thank you, this is super helpful!

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
How often do they do special events? Do we have a time frame for the next one coming up?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
One more question: anglerfish and sharks teeth? It seems like I can’t get these from fishing and buddy.farm not showing exactly what’s up.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

tildes posted:

One more question: anglerfish and sharks teeth? It seems like I can’t get these from fishing and buddy.farm not showing exactly what’s up.

anglerfish is a level 6 macaw drop, shark teeth show up in the exchange center every other day

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tildes posted:

Shark's Teeth are only available through the Exchange Center on some days. (The devs explained the goal is to slow down high-level players' rate of rampaging through new quests.)

I believe Anglerfish are only available from a Lv6 pet right now, but will be in the new fishing zone, maybe.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’m guessing Fourth of July for the next event.

Exchange center for the shark teeth and anglerfish

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Is apple cider bugged as of tonight or is it one of the perks I bought earlier? I had to get to 1300ish stam before it would let me use it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
You need 1250 instead of 1000 I think if you have a certain perk.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yep. Cinnamon Sticks makes it so you need 1250 to use it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Man, getting your sawmill online after you first buy it is rough. Pretty much every quest ever wants 200 boards, 200 wood, and tons of items that require wood to make, and only once in a while do they even give a small handful of 5-10 OJ to go exploring in the forest for more.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Is there a way to jumpstart new players? Something expensive that you can mail to get their sawmills online?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Once I got shields going out of my sawmill I was no longer hurting for silver, so it's really just that one hump that you need to get over to kickstart everything I think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Koryk posted:

Is there a way to jumpstart new players? Something expensive that you can mail to get their sawmills online?

Maybe those chests full of stamina or nets

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Man, I unlocked lanterns and was like ‘oh cool.’

Then I sold a stack of like 300 of them.

:stare:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My first billion should go to Frog? I’m not close to 85 so no dragons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I spent mine on frog so I could open up the fishing/exploration zones easier. I'm back up to 400m in only a couple days so it's not like the second billion will take that long.

As an aside, is there a particular long-grow-time crop that I'll need in the future for quests? Cotton or something maybe? I don't have any quests that currently need anything and I have some grape juice to use.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

My first billion should go to Frog? I’m not close to 85 so no dragons.

Your first Billion should go to Storehouse upgrade. There are [[1 Billion]] and [[10 Billion]] guides in the Library that you might find useful.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Agent355 posted:

I spent mine on frog so I could open up the fishing/exploration zones easier. I'm back up to 400m in only a couple days so it's not like the second billion will take that long.

As an aside, is there a particular long-grow-time crop that I'll need in the future for quests? Cotton or something maybe? I don't have any quests that currently need anything and I have some grape juice to use.

Most of em you'll need for quests later, I'd just throw all your grape juice at your highest available crop and keep a ton of them on hand as you'll get a boatload of XP for it too.

https://buddy.farm/ is a good resource for figuring out what you'll need in the future.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Got my first raptor egg way on my second day in whispering creek 👍🏻👍🏻

It seems like, based on the calculators and a 150k explore drop rate, I will get one every 4-5 days on average given my inventory and orchard. Do y’all just void all the oak you get, or are you also doing a bit of exploring elsewhere? I was thinking about the forest since then I get antlers + mushroom paste, which lets me make fancy drums which use up oak super quickly. But not sure what balance makes sense here.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
finally got my first billion. level 6 frog and Macaw calling me...

I'd look at the storehouse but then I wouldn't level Inv by 10 each time. OCD demands pretty numbers

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tildes posted:

It seems like, based on the calculators and a 150k explore drop rate, I will get one every 4-5 days on average given my inventory and orchard. Do y’all just void all the oak you get, or are you also doing a bit of exploring elsewhere? I was thinking about the forest since then I get antlers + mushroom paste, which lets me make fancy drums which use up oak super quickly. But not sure what balance makes sense here.

I void so much oak (a little better with Crossbow, but still). The exploring XP for WC is so much better that as I try to get through the godawful 90-99 exploring stretch I minimize how much stamina I spend anywhere else, and it’s just not worth extending the grind for the extra money.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Plus, any raptor eggs you get with the stamina you would have otherwise spent in the forest will eventually return far more antlers than you’d get by exploring in the forest.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

tildes posted:

I sell the oak or make fancy drums if I can be arsed. Might try crossbows now as well

I got obsessed with raptor eggs but now I have that many they can bring >5000 antlers a day and my inventory is 2070. Now that’s a waste for you, and I can do nothing about it lol.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

tuyop posted:

Maybe those chests full of stamina or nets

God I would love a chest of stamina items, Right now the only way I can get them at more than a snail's pace is what seems to be actual scam prices on the flea market lol

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Umbreon posted:

God I would love a chest of stamina items, Right now the only way I can get them at more than a snail's pace is what seems to be actual scam prices on the flea market lol

Under no circumstances buy items on the flea market unless it is literally the only way, the prices are *terrible*.

You’ll get more stam items as time goes on and your inventory and orchard expand. Spend your money on that, not flea marketing.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kalman posted:

Under no circumstances buy items on the flea market unless it is literally the only way, the prices are *terrible*.

You’ll get more stam items as time goes on and your inventory and orchard expand. Spend your money on that, not flea marketing.

Yep, I'm desperate but I'm not THAT desperate lol. Every single penny of mine is being dumped into my sawmill right now but it's making it difficult to progress anywhere else because of that. Stam is the biggest limiter, I need it to get more woods and boards to make more sturdy shields.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The game is pretty clever about that for a while. Right now you need to explore for wood, but as soon as you get the sawmill going wood will stop being a constraint and instead you’ll be constantly clicking to the town for nails and iron. And then you’ll buy the perk for restocking iron and nails and immediately be up against a new constraint, stone. Once you get the quarry going, stone stops being an issue and instead it’s glass orbs. And then it becomes twine/coal, which is where I’m at. I’m assuming there’s something later, once I get to a new thing to sell after lanterns. It’s a great sense of progression.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Arcturas posted:

The game is pretty clever about that for a while. Right now you need to explore for wood, but as soon as you get the sawmill going wood will stop being a constraint and instead you’ll be constantly clicking to the town for nails and iron. And then you’ll buy the perk for restocking iron and nails and immediately be up against a new constraint, stone. Once you get the quarry going, stone stops being an issue and instead it’s glass orbs. And then it becomes twine/coal, which is where I’m at. I’m assuming there’s something later, once I get to a new thing to sell after lanterns. It’s a great sense of progression.

Mushroom paste becomes the big limiter for a long time especially if you are still in corn jail. Once you break out of corn jail and can grow mushrooms, it just becomes a prioritization call. Do you want to prioritize stamina usage on Whispering Creek only or do you want to split some to get coal or glass to finish grand mastering lanterns.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Arcturas posted:

I assure you, wood is still a problem even with my sawmill being active and me dumping everything into it. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Up to 2,800 corn now and no rune. Someday