Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I put 408 miles on the Goldwing yesterday, up in Door County, Wisconsin. For those not familiar, if you imagine Wisconsin as a hand, door county is the "thumb". I spent most of the day oscillating between frigid temperatures by the lake, and warm temperatures inland. The route I had in my GPS took me mostly along the shore of Lake Michigan, up the East side of Door County, but as the roads moved in and out from the lake, the temperature swung wildly from mid-50's to mid-70's. The lake is still really drat cold this time of year.

I did manage to see some gorgeous views of the lake, and ride through some amazing forest and lakeside towns. I brought my drone with, and grabbed some aerial photos of lighthouses and such things. Here is the Cana Island Light which is sometimes an island, and sometimes connected to the mainland, depending on the lake water height

Right now the island and the mainland are just barely connected

I stopped in a town called Gills Rock, which I thought was the northernmost point in the peninsula, but a check of my phone revealed its actually not, which I should have guessed by the land to the north of me. I was already there though, so why not take a picture.

Then I made it to the actual northernmost point of Door County, a park called Wisconsin Bay Park. I would have shot a pic actually by the lake, but the park is on a bluff and its about a 50 foot sheer drop to the water.

Oh well, it was a beautiful, if tiny little park, whos only purpose seems to be to mark the pinnacle of "ahp nort" in door county

The entire way, there was absolutely crazy wind, like huge 40-50 mph gusts that would crop up and absolutely blow the bike and myself all over the place, which was real fun while going over the Leo Frigo Bridge, which is 120 feet up in the air and doesnt have a huge barrier on the side. I went into a full tuck which I'm sure looks ridiculous on the goldwing, and manhandled the bike through it.

My thought was to head west on the way home as opposed to staying on the lake, in an attempt to escape the wind, but it didnt work. It was just as windy by Lake Winnebago as by Lake Michigan, resulting in some decent (for Winnebago, a smaller inland lake) waves on the lake.

I stopped on one of the many public access roads to take a break from the wind and ogle the goldwing :allears:

All in all a good day of riding, and the wing took it in stride

Ogling the goldwing, goggling at the oldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For those not familiar, if you imagine Wisconsin as a hand, door county is the "thumb".

The whole post owns, but this part has me wondering if you are from Michigan? The only people I have ever heard use a hand to describe where they are in a state are lower peninsula folks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am from the UP originally, so very used to the hand analogy, in Michigan it’s “the mitten” though if I recall

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Attended a free local motorcycle event in my neighborhood, around 400-500 bikes. Saw some neat bikes, and it great to hang out and chat with riders in general. Totally different and much cooler vibe than a sponsored event like a "motorcycle show" where there are dollar signs attached to manufacturers exhibiting, advertisers everywhere, tickets to enter, food vendors charging $18 for a sandwich and $4 for a bottle of water, etc.

I really liked that beemer, I chatted up the owner, it's a 1986 with 50k miles so he was "just finishing the break-in period" :buddy:, and was proud to show me a few neato gadgets like when you pull in the clutch it automatically retracts the side stand. It was so quiet/smooth you could hardly tell it was running when he fired it up.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That CRF with the turquoise body work :kiss:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This triggered me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

This triggered me.

Quickly, chum, to the Ant-Cycle!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That chopper is terrible but that seems like a good event. I see a bunch of bikes that people actually ride.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
So like my friend with the Ninja 250. We cleaned the carb out. Was gross. The jets barely came out. Super tight and kinda corroded. 10 year old bike that sat. Reasonable.
He wanted to ride.
I'm like it might start up now but please don't ride.

It starts up now.

He's fighting me on replacing the jets we took out and are stripped. Doesn't wanna get bigger jets for his yoshimura.
I am trying to not stress about someone else's project bike.

Some of the fuel lines are rotten but not a big deal to cut and place some new ones.

But it's like if he doesn't want to listen to me...kinda just wants to send it...fine...like a local store even has jets for less than 10 each. And the bike is apart. C'mon man. C'mon.

I just wanna ride with him and not have to worry about the bike dying or the carb rattling apart at an intersection.

If it was my bike I'd consider putting in a k&n air filter(just to make it easier to work on), jetting, carb bowl screws should be replaced. Possibly fuel petcock. Oil change. Since it's apart might as well check the valves too. I kinda want an older 250 now, I like how the bike is built after seeing it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 3, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol you don't need to rejet for a can on a ninja 250, just put an extra half a turn on the pilots, mayyybe shim the needles half a step. Or do nothing and it will be fine because your friend almost certainly sucks at riding and won't be able to tell the difference.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

This triggered me.

Was is the sprotor? Or the lack of shielding on both exhaust and chain?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Was is the sprotor? Or the lack of shielding on both exhaust and chain?

It's the extremely painful owner verbally masturbating just out of frame.

The bike itself is honestly one of the better ones I've seen, I believe it's a Texas Big Dog? Or possibly a big bear; it's the wrong style for a west coast outfit and it's far too well built to be a redneck engineering (yes, this is a brand) or similar low-tier bike. It's all quite clean and tidy and even has a sprung seat which I've never seen on a chopper personally.

Having said that, I've ridden one with bars that small and they just don't work at all. The sprotor honestly doesn't bug me as much as the exposed belt primary it almost certainly has on the other side, or the rear wheel that almost certainly has a bunch of loose spokes, or whatever the gently caress is happening with the air filter, or the fuel filter just casually resting on the cylinder head, or the flogged out springer bushes. The lack of shielding on pipes clearly designed to accommodate it is annoying. Oh and the buttons on the switch blocks fail all the time, can't be had independently and are sometimes permanently joined to the housing, I recognize those stupid little round buttons anywhere. Still, one of the better ones I've seen.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 3, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

After riding to Calgary by myself over a couple of days, and planning a multi day trip in Europe in a couple of weeks, I've come to realize that I really, really like multi-day moto touring. It's something I never really had (or made) the time for when I lived in England, despite all the moto journos banging on about riding down to the alps all the time. I kind of regret that. When I get back from Europe I have to bring my bike back from Calgary and I'm really looking forward to it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Right on. Are you renting a bike in Europe?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Right on. Are you renting a bike in Europe?

Yeah, initially the plan was to do a one way rental and ride from Paris to Milan, but the one way drop off fees are exorbitant (€450 each). It's far cheaper to fly or take a train to Milan and pick up bikes there and do a loop. The motorcycle rental options are better in southern Europe so far as I've seen. I'm still working out the details though.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I stopped on one of the many public access roads to take a break from the wind and ogle the goldwing :allears:

All in all a good day of riding, and the wing took it in stride
I really appreciate this loop, nicely done.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

It's the extremely painful owner verbally masturbating just out of frame.

The bike itself is honestly one of the better ones I've seen, I believe it's a Texas Big Dog? Or possibly a big bear; it's the wrong style for a west coast outfit and it's far too well built to be a redneck engineering (yes, this is a brand) or similar low-tier bike. It's all quite clean and tidy and even has a sprung seat which I've never seen on a chopper personally.

Having said that, I've ridden one with bars that small and they just don't work at all. The sprotor honestly doesn't bug me as much as the exposed belt primary it almost certainly has on the other side, or the rear wheel that almost certainly has a bunch of loose spokes, or whatever the gently caress is happening with the air filter, or the fuel filter just casually resting on the cylinder head, or the flogged out springer bushes. The lack of shielding on pipes clearly designed to accommodate it is annoying. Oh and the buttons on the switch blocks fail all the time, can't be had independently and are sometimes permanently joined to the housing, I recognize those stupid little round buttons anywhere. Still, one of the better ones I've seen.

The bars didn't bother me so much, cause I've ridden high rise Z bars that were about 10" wide at the grips. That was horrible. Those grips do bother me, even though I know they're not exactly rare. They feel like poo poo and often come loose in my experience. I have no idea why anyone wants those. Because of the looks? Grips are designed to grab onto though, they're not designed to look at.

He does actually have a front brake, I guess he deserves credit for that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He does actually have a front brake, I guess he deserves credit for that.

This is always the first place I look. It's a really easy initial pass/fail test.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When i was filtering through the line at a bridge that was open, in my mirrors i heard someone bip their horn, and do all kinds of stuff in their car, but i couldn't really see what. Too much sun glare, no idea if it was directed at me. So i ignored it.

couple of kilometer later that car was behind me at a traffic light, and then proceded to crawl up next to me. The passenger window opened, turns out there was a little girl in the seat, perhaps 11 years old, making the 'rev engine' gesture. Of course i did, and i did a somewhat hard launch when the light turned green.
Rock on, little girl!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LimaBiker posted:

When i was filtering through the line at a bridge that was open, in my mirrors i heard someone bip their horn, and do all kinds of stuff in their car, but i couldn't really see what. Too much sun glare, no idea if it was directed at me. So i ignored it.

couple of kilometer later that car was behind me at a traffic light, and then proceded to crawl up next to me. The passenger window opened, turns out there was a little girl in the seat, perhaps 11 years old, making the 'rev engine' gesture. Of course i did, and i did a somewhat hard launch when the light turned green.
Rock on, little girl!

:3:

My four year old daughter just climbed up onto my bike all on her own for the first time ever today. Couple more years and she'll get her own lil baby bike. :getin:

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i have a canary yellow vespa out on the city street that my three year old loves and she sits on it all the time and beeps the horn.

she’ll be ready for it eventually. no doubt about that.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm curious about the current generation of the Suzuki SV650. There's a 2011 SFV650 Gladius available locally to rent for the day, and pretty cheap too. Are those two bikes similar enough that going on a good long ride on the Gladius would give me a decent idea of what a modern SV is actually like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

I'm curious about the current generation of the Suzuki SV650. There's a 2011 SFV650 Gladius available locally to rent for the day, and pretty cheap too. Are those two bikes similar enough that going on a good long ride on the Gladius would give me a decent idea of what a modern SV is actually like?

Mostly yeah, the ergos are a bit different (gladys puts your rear end closer to the ground and the seat sucks) but the engine is the same, chassis parts very very similar but slightly improved on the current bike, efi fueling is improved on the newer bikes.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Very informative answer, just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The newer SVs are pretty good, but they feel quite tiny to me. Really narrow. Supremely flickable and light.

No idea how the Gladius is. Never rode one. Only have my 1999 sv650s which feels quite a bit different than the newer SV.
The engine on the new one is still great though. It is a bit less aggressive than mine (not that any SV is super aggressive), but very rev happy while retaining the buttery smooth low RPM performance.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 5, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mostly aesthetic changes (all for the good):

Looks like the same frame to me right down to the passenger peg mounts I just know are hiding under the plastic cowl of the Gladius. Different bodywork, tank headlight, rearsets (:barf:), and exhaust. The Gladius could in be de-uglified by removing the silver cover over the frame and replacing the rearsets.

e: better brakes on the new one

Gorson fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 5, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Welp, lost my riding wallet, so my drivers license, vehicle document, fuel card and ATM card are all gone. It either exited my open zipper jacket pocket or I did a stupid and put it on the pillion seat when I was pushing the bike around at a gas station. However, it wasn't found at the gas station and I traced the entire route in both directions with no luck. So I get to replace everything now, at least I can keep driving/riding for 4 and riding MY bike for 1 week. vehicle document is a free replacement, drivers license is gonna be 50 bucks. I really was wanting to just shower after a decent ride, instead I got to scan a majority of the route twice which was even more exhausting... At least the police report was easy enough.

The worst part was, that while tracing the route, just after an intersection where i went left there was a black rectangle EXACTLY the size of my ID wallet in the roadside pebbles/dirt. After returning and checking it out it was one of those rubber shred mats, probably (unsuccessfully) used to secure a load.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Gorson posted:

mostly aesthetic changes (all for the good):

Yeah but

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
wow that dude is rockin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001