Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless posted:

18v LXT Impact Driver (XDT13Z) -- I don't know how to operate tools and I immediately put in the wrong type of bit and then got it stuck in the chuck, terribly. I think I need to disassemble this now, the vice grips have done nothing. I give this one a don't loan me your tools out of five stars.

Just an update on this: After literally spending loving hours on this dumb thing, employing a blowtorch, trying to mill out the bit (and giving up almost immediately) using every sort of vice grip I could find in the house and then going out and buying two more pairs of vice grips and failing, and then trying to remove the chuck and also failing (the BB got stuck on the edge of the sleeve) I finally hosed the thing down with WD-40 and then took a metal file to the bithead. After ten minutes of shaving metal I was finally able to get a good grip with the needlenose vicegrips; One real mighty tug later, I finally got the bastard loose:

Now I just gotta find the spring I rocketed into the ceiling and off to a random corner while trying to disassemble it

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mirthless posted:

Just an update on this: After literally spending loving hours on this dumb thing, employing a blowtorch, trying to mill out the bit (and giving up almost immediately) using every sort of vice grip I could find in the house and then going out and buying two more pairs of vice grips and failing, and then trying to remove the chuck and also failing (the BB got stuck on the edge of the sleeve) I finally hosed the thing down with WD-40 and then took a metal file to the bithead. After ten minutes of shaving metal I was finally able to get a good grip with the needlenose vicegrips; One real mighty tug later, I finally got the bastard loose:

Now I just gotta find the spring I rocketed into the ceiling and off to a random corner while trying to disassemble it

:sigh:

Did your wife buy the excuse for purchasing two more sets of vice grips? If so, well played, Sir.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
a good tweet for the tool thread
https://twitter.com/ClareCoffey/status/1532764883913166848

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
explain.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
@dril is a funny Weird Twitter celebrity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

withak fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 3, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/15827026
Corded DeWalt 12in Miter saw and free tool for $200. YMMV based on location but worked for me and shipped free

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DoubleT2172 posted:

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/15827026
Corded DeWalt 12in Miter saw and free tool for $200. YMMV based on location but worked for me and shipped free

Ordered one for in store pickup with the stand. My Ryobi slider is too big for most work, heavy, and the brake is dying. I'll be able to relegate that to aluminium cutting duty with a dedicated blade. Thanks!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

sharkytm posted:

Ordered one for in store pickup with the stand. My Ryobi slider is too big for most work, heavy, and the brake is dying. I'll be able to relegate that to aluminium cutting duty with a dedicated blade. Thanks!

Might want to incorporate speed control into that if you're planning on cutting aluminium, the wood cut speeds are way faster

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

McSpergin posted:

Might want to incorporate speed control into that if you're planning on cutting aluminium, the wood cut speeds are way faster

They make alu blades for woodworking miter saws (same tooth profile as plastic funnily enough). As long as he's not trying to use a blade for a dry cut saw he'll be OK.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

McSpergin posted:

It works fine. I cut a lot of aluminum this way. I've cut 4'x8' 1/4" AL plate in my table saw. It makes a hell of a noise but with the right blade it works great.

deimos posted:

They make alu blades for woodworking miter saws (same tooth profile as plastic funnily enough). As long as he's not trying to use a blade for a dry cut saw he'll be OK.

Yeah, it's not a dry cut saw. Not even in the same league, but it works well for aluminum

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's the preferred 'basic but good' laser measuring device?

E: I'm seeing indoor and outdoor ones-will and outdoor one work indoor? An indoor work outdoor, just not as well?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 4, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's the preferred 'basic but good' laser measuring device?

E: I'm seeing indoor and outdoor ones-will and outdoor one work indoor? An indoor work outdoor, just not as well?

The Bosch one. It's a little spender than you expect but it's the one you want.

I believe outdoor just means easier to see in full sun.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Isn't he a goon?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Idk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

He was, dunno if he actively posts anymore

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Think he likes bandsaws???

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

he hasn't posted here in like 10 years

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

sharkytm posted:

It works fine. I cut a lot of aluminum this way. I've cut 4'x8' 1/4" AL plate in my table saw. It makes a hell of a noise but with the right blade it works great.

Yeah, it's not a dry cut saw. Not even in the same league, but it works well for aluminum

Ah right, I stand corrected. Neat, if I used a lot of aluminium I'd definitely have to consider this option but I picked up a cheap metal cutting bandsaw on marketplace a while back that I'm modifying to have downfeed control and coolant feed

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

McSpergin posted:

Ah right, I stand corrected. Neat, if I used a lot of aluminium I'd definitely have to consider this option but I picked up a cheap metal cutting bandsaw on marketplace a while back that I'm modifying to have downfeed control and coolant feed

A bandsaw would be great. I've just got a portaband.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

the bosch is quite good, ive seen people use them for crown moulding

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't he a goon?

dril made a few posts in fyad inclduing a few legendary flags and was chased off by docevil. now he makes $$$ to shitpost on twitter

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Metabo sliding 10" miter saw. Any issues with it? I may find myself building a deck and my current saw (Hitachi non slider) cannot cut decking.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

tater_salad posted:

Metabo sliding 10" miter saw. Any issues with it? I may find myself building a deck and my current saw (Hitachi non slider) cannot cut decking.

Have it, some people report accuracy and flex issues but I have neither with it. For the price and the zero clearance, it’s pretty good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo that Ryobi HP angle grinder from a couple weeks ago is like a goddamn light saber. This poo poo rules.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yo that Ryobi HP angle grinder from a couple weeks ago is like a goddamn light saber. This poo poo rules.

cordless angle grinder is like a real life cheat code .. they can cut anything

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a particular Bosch one or just any Bosch one?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

Think he likes bandsaws???

Whoever doesn't like bandsaws should be permaband.

Did you saw what I did there

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My father in law, who is very impressed with my tool collection, says my next workshop piece needs to be a bandsaw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FISHMANPET posted:

My father in law, who is very impressed with my tool collection, says my next workshop piece needs to be a bandsaw.

Dear God, having a bandsaw with a bi-metal blade in my shop is the greatest addition ever. Just every time I need to cut this or that little thing it saves me so much time and effort. Especially with fiddly little metal working shits like rod and even some soft sheet metals. It is my friend.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It is now what I would consider to be my SHOP SAW

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:hellyeah:

An angle grinder really opens up doors on what you can do. Just a crazy powerful and versatile tool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know the specific models, but literally every contractor I have dealt with in the last 6 years used exclusively that brand. Other tools varied in make and type, but every single one uses the Bosch laser measurement things.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There’s a 65footer for $50 and 165footer for $80. The 165er does some extra calculations for you like area, volume, stuff like that. I have the 165er and like it although if I were to get it again I’d get the $100 one that has a rounding feature. It’s kinda mentally fatiguing to process measurements ending in 64ths

The app is pretty sweet too, don’t miss out

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know the specific models, but literally every contractor I have dealt with in the last 6 years used exclusively that brand. Other tools varied in make and type, but every single one uses the Bosch laser measurement things.

Yeah even my laser measure and laser level are both Bosch, it doesn't matter what color team you're on, they make the best ones for the price. The next step up however would be a Leica Disto.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:stare:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

corgski posted:

Yeah even my laser measure and laser level are both Bosch, it doesn't matter what color team you're on, they make the best ones for the price. The next step up however would be a Leica Disto.

$130 just to flex, you say?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone have a recommendation for the following? Got a lot of prop finish work to do.

- A bench belt+disc sander
- A sanding attachment for my Makita oscillating multi tool

Deviant fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 6, 2022

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Thanks to all the goons who recommended the WEN 2305 in here; I picked one up a while back and got some actual Dremel accessories, and the combined ~$50 in tools just saved me paying a plumber something like ~$600 to remove a stubborn shower handle and put in a new one. Why do that when I can just cut it in half myself?

The knob was one of those push/pull deals, but it was probably the original cartridge from fuckin' 1970 or something, so I was the only one in the house that could pull it open, and it took the wife and kid both pushing on it to close it. Normally, a cartridge is just an easy part swap, all you need is a screwdriver, but the screw holding the knob on and everything in was so rusted and lovely that when I tried to unscrew it, it stripped before I even tried power tools. So I just cut the fucker off. (Not pictured; the metal inner ring I also cut off.) Once I did that, I could just pull the thing out with a vice grip.

Definitely get some non-Wen bits, though. The ones that came with felt wobbly and lovely, and the one Wen cutting disc I tried shattered in seconds.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Let's talk about hammers for a second. When I bought my house I decided to upgrade from my "part of a tool kit I got for free when I opened a checking account 20 years ago" hammer, for general purpose hammer stuff, so I bought this nice looking 16oz Stanely with a fiberglass handle. I'm not super coordinated, and the studs in my house are all ancient, so I always had a hell of a time actually nailing anything, which I just wrote off as a combination of my lack of coordination to land a good blow and the hardness of my old wood. Cut to last week I'm rebuilding my fence with my father law and pounding in some brackets, and not having a great time of it, even though the wood is much softer, but again wrote it off as my general lack of coordination. Then I happened to not have my hammer in reach but his was, which was also a 16 oz but with a bit heavier handle, and holy poo poo what a world of difference. Suddenly I was a pro at driving nails. So on the next trip to Home Depot we looked at the hammers and found another basic hammer but one with a heavier handle that the balance felt more like his (I think I ended up with this one).

The moral of the story, if you're like me and you thought you just sucked at pounding in nails, maybe you've got the wrong hammer. Too bad they don't have a nail-pounding station for hammers the way they have a screw driving station like they do for cordless drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Let's talk about hammers for a second. When I bought my house I decided to upgrade from my "part of a tool kit I got for free when I opened a checking account 20 years ago" hammer, for general purpose hammer stuff, so I bought this nice looking 16oz Stanely with a fiberglass handle. I'm not super coordinated, and the studs in my house are all ancient, so I always had a hell of a time actually nailing anything, which I just wrote off as a combination of my lack of coordination to land a good blow and the hardness of my old wood. Cut to last week I'm rebuilding my fence with my father law and pounding in some brackets, and not having a great time of it, even though the wood is much softer, but again wrote it off as my general lack of coordination. Then I happened to not have my hammer in reach but his was, which was also a 16 oz but with a bit heavier handle, and holy poo poo what a world of difference. Suddenly I was a pro at driving nails. So on the next trip to Home Depot we looked at the hammers and found another basic hammer but one with a heavier handle that the balance felt more like his (I think I ended up with this one).

The moral of the story, if you're like me and you thought you just sucked at pounding in nails, maybe you've got the wrong hammer. Too bad they don't have a nail-pounding station for hammers the way they have a screw driving station like they do for cordless drills.

Of course they do. It's in the lumber section. Find the cart of culls and a box of nails and go to town.