Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Does the cop outside radio the cop inside to let them know that Larry wants to come in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there is an official brick that is used to make sure the door doesn't close tight if everyone has to leave and the brick is also temporarily PM during any such evacuation

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

there is an official brick that is used to make sure the door doesn't close tight if everyone has to leave and the brick is also temporarily PM during any such evacuation

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

By backing Boris, things will be very good.

Furthermore...

Profit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

So what you're saying is that we just need to repeatedly pull the fire alarm and we'll have the best leadership we've had in decades

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just remembered the march down Whitehall for Andrea Leadsom. Tory leadership contests are always entertaining at least.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it always gets worse, so presumably we'll get patel or JRM next

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
or desmond swayne

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

Does the back door have a lock or do they have to jimmy it with a credit card?
They use the national credit card we've heard so much about.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

it always gets worse, so presumably we'll get patel or JRM next

Here is a full list for those keeping score.

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1533441926363504640?t=zjGddriBLSxrHb4MfQySUg&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Time for some good news amidst the sea of pessimism

https://twitter.com/ththighland/status/1533750963860799494?s=20&t=kwHuHq9gwUXx816taUuSfQ

For you sassenachs, can get BBC Alba if you have satellite TV or Virgin. If not, it'll be on the iPlayer. Might go along to watch the MacTavish Cup Final live myself.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 6, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/ththighland/status/1533750963860799494?s=20&t=kwHuHq9gwUXx816taUuSfQ

For you sassenachs, can get BBC Alba if you have satellite TV or Virgin. If not, it'll be on the iPlayer. Might go along to watch the MacTavish Cup Final live myself.

I've been to one shinty match in my life, it was between Newtonmore and Kingussie. I think it was a cup match, or at least the final of some tournament. Newtonmore won, but then I heard later they got disqualified because they'd brought on an illegal player or something.

In any case, I'd highly recommend watching shinty, it's like hockey with golf swings, and I've no idea how field hockey survives as a sport in the face of such a clear improvement on the format.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can get it on Freesat anywhere in Britain and Ireland and Manx and presumably anywhere in the vicinity that you can put a dish pointing up but you may be doing a crime if you are in e.g. Norway and will be investigated by one of those worn down Scandinavian TV detectives.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looking forward to that shower of bastards to vote to keep the top oval office in charge.

Who knows, maybe they heard the booing and the writing on the wall.

IF Labour wasn't a barrel of useless tossers they'd have plastered Brenda by her lonesome at Phil's funeral on ConservativeHome rather than an NHS doctor.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Struggling to give a poo poo if Boris gets da boot today. Like, what does it even change?

I don't even have the energy for schadenfreude (the covid may have a hand in that, though, I suppose)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah you're just struck with a mild case of despair.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's like a toned down version of Hurling. :shrug:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm hoping Boris scrapes through with a win, as the longer he stays, the more damage and division he does to the party.

I'm not in any huge rush to be excited about PM Truss or Raab... lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Barry Foster posted:

Struggling to give a poo poo if Boris gets da boot today. Like, what does it even change?

I don't even have the energy for schadenfreude (the covid may have a hand in that, though, I suppose)

I read this as "emergency schadenfreude" and am now picturing you next to a box reading "in case of It Happening, break glass" and going "meh..."

Skarsnik posted:

#bojonoco

My favourite Womble

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

But what would happen if Boris simply ignored the rules, refused to step down, leave No.10 or call a GE? Because that's what I think he's going to do.

This, specifically, wouldn't help him. We are not America, we do not directly elect our head of government, if Boris is no longer leader of the Tory party he can not get an electoral mandate to become prime minister. No, not even with a thumping majority from the people of Uxbridge and South Ruislip, because they are not the UK.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
dumbest possible outcome is always a safe bet so i'd say:

boris wins but very narrowly and both sides claim victory. boris retreats to a no.10 bunker to wait out his term until 2025; rebels claim partial victory as his mandate is shattered but lack any levers to actually move things forward. in the meantime, everything continues to fall apart.

closely followed by:

loses the vonc, calls an immediate GE to force the motion to be dropped and then pulls out of the GE somehow via process fuckery, so sorry no further vonc for another year. i think this is technically possible but would be unreal levels of quasi-legal process machinations even for this gov

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Ah you're just struck with a mild case of despair.

Ehh, maybe. I'm actually in a better place than I have been for awhile, I think because I've come to peace with the fact that collapse is inevitable and unarrestable, and so I'm content to just try and carve out a bit of local happiness and contentment while it's possible.

I guess it's more that this all just feels like a sideshow in the face of the crushing material forces of history. It's just palace intrigue, soap opera stuff. Grist for the newspapers, but that's about it.

Bobstar posted:

I read this as "emergency schadenfreude" and am now picturing you next to a box reading "in case of It Happening, break glass" and going "meh..."

lol

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. Can’t really get enthusiastic about Johnson being replaced with someone who has the same politics but is just a bit more liked by liberals. Which is surely much worse

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

dumbest possible outcome is always a safe bet so i'd say:

boris wins but very narrowly and both sides claim victory. boris retreats to a no.10 bunker to wait out his term until 2025; rebels claim partial victory as his mandate is shattered but lack any levers to actually move things forward. in the meantime, everything continues to fall apart.

closely followed by:

loses the vonc, calls an immediate GE to force the motion to be dropped and then pulls out of the GE somehow via process fuckery, so sorry no further vonc for another year. i think this is technically possible but would be unreal levels of quasi-legal process machinations even for this gov

Dumbest possible option is he loses the vote by 1 vote and it later transpired that Dominic Raab accidentally voted no because thought it meant "no don't fire him"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's like a toned down version of Hurling. :shrug:

Hurling doesn't happen a handful of miles from my house & shinty does. And if the BBC (or other council TV channels) shows hurling then I've not heard about it, whereas I have heard about shinty being shown.

Not really much point comparing them despite common interests, the standard of play is much higher in hurling for pretty obvious reasons when you look at where they are played. Shinty's big game is at Bught Park, which isn't exactly Croke Park.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/IrishMirror/status/1533737210805108739

The bad flag will be edited out on iPlayer so as to not cause undue distress to the English.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that would be pretty funny

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
double decker skirting boards

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Have we heard from Kieth yet?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wururwuurghgwughghgh

LOL just on the TV right now "Labour are now claiming to be the party of patriotism - are they?!?!"

:cripes:

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 6, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I watched a match once between the Scottish Shinty team and Irish hurling team. That was some weird poo poo.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Hurling doesn't happen a handful of miles from my house & shinty does.

It's the other way round for me so no worries. :tipshat:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The :woof: was the only good bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

I've been to one shinty match in my life, it was between Newtonmore and Kingussie. I think it was a cup match, or at least the final of some tournament. Newtonmore won, but then I heard later they got disqualified because they'd brought on an illegal player or something.

In any case, I'd highly recommend watching shinty, it's like hockey with golf swings, and I've no idea how field hockey survives as a sport in the face of such a clear improvement on the format.

My mother says that she once watched a shinty match on TV and the response to one player clouting another over the head with his shinty stick was a very mild-mannered "Aye, his play has always been a wee bit robust".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

wururwuurghgwughghgh

LOL just on the TV right now "Labour are now claiming to be the party of patriotism - are they?!?!"

:cripes:

Yeah, they said it a couple of days ago

https://twitter.com/Rand0mB1tsUK/status/1533248781344456704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

hello yes this is dog

Great news that we might get a PM who can’t even hold a phone correctly.