Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Paracosms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I skimmed the wikipedia page and I still don't know what that is.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
I only started to get into paracosms recently, whats your favorite?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wouldn't a paracosm be made out of paramatter? And wouldn't that mean they're all shitholes?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I remember being eight years old and spending many happy hours drawing population density maps and alphabets and currency systems for a series of imaginary planets.
Would any of you like to guess how successful my career has been and exactly how many days it took me to crash out of university?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

suspicious donkey! posted:

I only started to get into paracosms recently, whats your favorite?

My own honestly but one of the fun parts of trawling around on Deviantart is finding accounts dedicated to people's paracosms that are just so bizarre but have thousands of words/images detailing every single aspect of them. I used to think people were being dorks putting that stuff out as if anyone would care, but now that i grew out of my edgy 'having fun is cringe' phase I realized sometimes people just post stuff for themselves as an archive and its kinda neat to peek at.

Tree Bucket posted:

I remember being eight years old and spending many happy hours drawing population density maps and alphabets and currency systems for a series of imaginary planets.
Would any of you like to guess how successful my career has been and exactly how many days it took me to crash out of university?
Same but I graduated before crashing and burning :cool:

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
how does paracosm make you feel?

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
with all the recent events it has been hard to find enough time to paracosm

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

suspicious donkey! posted:

with all the recent events it has been hard to find enough time to paracosm

Lmao if the state of real life hasnt driven you deeper and deeper into your inner fantasy world

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
When I was going through puberty I had a paracosm where everyone had MASSIVE primary and secondary sex characteristics. Like of physically impossible size. Dicks the length and girth of steel girders. Balls in need of a pig cart. Breasts with their own zipcode. Vulvas like a mountain cave; vaginas you could drive a car into (to accommodate the massive dongs, natch).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Our famil was poor, all we could afford was a second hand semicosm

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I never wrote mine down, they just lived in my head.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the limitless potential of the imagination leads to awesome paracosms but it also leads to Gor and I don't think we should ever forget that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the limitless potential of the imagination leads to awesome paracosms but it also leads to Gor and I don't think we should ever forget that.

This is a very salient point that I will explore in my book Goons of Gor

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

Bismuth posted:

Lmao if the state of real life hasnt driven you deeper and deeper into your inner fantasy world

i dont see how that is related to paracosm

i may not actually now how to paracosm

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
i just hope all you paracosmers itt follow safety protocol and regularly check your patacosming equipment, otherwise its an accident waiting to happen

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm in a paracosm rn

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I am the moon emperor, who holds his midnight court atop the split mountain.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm in a paracosm rn

What if *gestures vaguely* all this is a shared paracosm and all of our individual fantasy worlds are actually unique realities?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Over my life I’ve had many dreams that take place in the same fictitious version of my hometown. I can almost map out the major landmarks and areas.

However, I feel no relationship or connection to this fictitious place because I know it only exists in my dreams. I dream about it maybe once a year, and when I wake up my reaction doesn’t really go beyond, “Oh I guess I dreamed about that place again.”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have run several decades-long RPGs and I've got to say the world building part is one of the best parts

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beartaco posted:

I skimmed the wikipedia page and I still don't know what that is.

It's about the power of imagination.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Bloop posted:

I have run several decades-long RPGs and I've got to say the world building part is one of the best parts

How many of them include some kind of cataclysmic event that occurred in the past

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How many of them include some kind of cataclysmic event that occurred in the past

I mean I suppose all of them (as is true of real life) but I think only about half had that as a major plot device

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

The Bloop posted:

Please share the most shameful place ever created.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

somethingawful.com

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cubone posted:

somethingawful.com

lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dare we enter Bloops magical realm?!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cosms of peril

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Everyone's always talking about microcosms and macrocosms and now the paracosm but how come no one gives a poo poo about the regular cosm

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

because we live there and it's poo poo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I had to look up what this topic was and I recall an extremely vivid dream I had several years ago where I lived an entire separate life. I was born, I grew up, I fell in love, I got married, we bought a house, had a kid, etc. I lived an entire life in this one dream and I woke up feeling more hollow than I had ever felt before. I practically lived through a mundane version of The Inner Light from Star Trek TNG, to give you an idea of what it felt like. But although some of you might think this is weird, I never felt resentful that I now had to live in the real world after experiencing that. Instead, I felt glad that a version of me, even if he only existed for a few hours in one dream in one night in one time of my life, got to live a fulfilled life.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
You're posting in a parocosm.

We're probably all dead.

Over a third of the population seriously doesn't believe in facts. Like, they don't think facts exist and don't recognize or live by the reality some things "are", and some things "aren't", and that a great deal of these things are well documented.

There is no way I'm going to believe such a massive portion of humanity is dumber than most dogs I've met.

Like, Trump was President. LMFAO if you think we exist in this world.

Gologle posted:

I had to look up what this topic was and I recall an extremely vivid dream I had several years ago where I lived an entire separate life. I was born, I grew up, I fell in love, I got married, we bought a house, had a kid, etc. I lived an entire life in this one dream and I woke up feeling more hollow than I had ever felt before. I practically lived through a mundane version of The Inner Light from Star Trek TNG, to give you an idea of what it felt like. But although some of you might think this is weird, I never felt resentful that I now had to live in the real world after experiencing that. Instead, I felt glad that a version of me, even if he only existed for a few hours in one dream in one night in one time of my life, got to live a fulfilled life.

Maybe when that happens you're peeking into another reality you exist in.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jelly posted:

You're posting in a parocosm.

We're probably all dead.

Over a third of the population seriously doesn't believe in facts. Like, they don't think facts exist and don't recognize or live by the reality some things "are", and some things "aren't", and that a great deal of these things are well documented.

There is no way I'm going to believe such a massive portion of humanity is dumber than most dogs I've met.

Like, Trump was President. LMFAO if you think we exist in this world.

this post is coming from INSIDE the paracosm

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Over my life I’ve had many dreams that take place in the same fictitious version of my hometown. I can almost map out the major landmarks and areas.

However, I feel no relationship or connection to this fictitious place because I know it only exists in my dreams. I dream about it maybe once a year, and when I wake up my reaction doesn’t really go beyond, “Oh I guess I dreamed about that place again.”

Gologle posted:

I have something like this, ever since I was a kid I've had extremely vivid dreams that take place in a shared world that while I'm there feels completely real but when I wake up I realize obviously I cant actually fly or shapeshift or do magic. There seems to be like, continuity across nights and even months +, and recurring places, characters, and events. Sometimes when I've been really low in life I've spent a ton of time sleeping or eagerly awaiting my next chance to sleep just so I could go back to that place, even though I experience bad emotions (fear, grief) there, the opportunity for excitement and freedom was a lot greater than real life.

Obviously spending most of your life asleep to escape reality isnt like, great, so I dont do that any more but I still eagerly hop into bed every night hoping I get some kind of adventure. Some of the deaths/disasters I've experienced in my dreams have bled into sleep paralysis though and boy howdy I hate that.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this post is coming from INSIDE the paracosm
Is it a big warehouse full of bodies like the Matrix type simulation, or something more social driven like the Truman Show or Severance?

Is that the same thing, is a simulation technically a paracosm?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Bloop posted:

It has to be really hard to say goodbye to a paracosm that you’ve built over decades

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

It has to be really hard to say goodbye to a paracosm that you’ve built over decades

It's more like, farewell for now

Usually because life moves on and gaming groups break up, not by choice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I'm not ashamed of any of my games, actually

Certainly the ones from the 90s and 00s would be different if I were running them now but even so they were fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's about the power of imagination.

I choose to imagine we're on page 6 where someone picked a better topic.