Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Those people were nameless randoms, though. Jirou is a person with a name and her own character design.

Juuuust barely.

Scholtz posted:

Of course she has a design! She's even got a little ECG meter wave thingy in her hair, to go with her heartbeat based power.

It'll also be really sad when she's killed and it goes flat!

This gag would honestly be worth it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Of course she has a design! She's even got a little ECG meter wave thingy in her hair, to go with her heartbeat based power.

It'll also be really sad when she's killed and it goes flat!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This chapter is pro-union propaganda. All For One has dealt with quirk ghosts yelling at him before, but it is only when they band together they effect real change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shigaraki will go back to his gamer roots when his quirk evolves to let him manipulate parallel universes and then he'll backwards long jump out of AFO's control.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The worst villain in the history of the planet is going to die because of the punk rocker girl who sang at the school festival. This rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AFO ultimately going down at the hands of a side character would be fun, yeah (besides, Jirou is cool)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If MHA actually does the equivalent of letting Gai kill Madara, I'll forgive a few of its sins.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

The worst villain in the history of the planet is going to die because of the punk rocker girl who sang at the school festival. This rules.

Look. There's no exception for Demon Kings when they say nothing stands the pressure of the clash city rockers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Villain Punks gently caress Off

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
God, I hate that quirk ghosts are just a thing that happens constantly now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Humans didn't have souls until quirks developed

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea that some of these kids really aren't going to go on to be Pro Heroes after the story's over. That these last arcs were so traumatic they realize they aren't really cut out for this kind of work when push comes to shove, and do something relatively quieter with their lives to help rebuild society. This may be setting that up for Jirou.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

God, I hate that quirk ghosts are just a thing that happens constantly now.

There have been a grand total of 0 good moments with them and yet they keep popping up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There have been a grand total of 0 good moments with them and yet they keep popping up.

Seriously, this scene would have been enormously better if it was just Jirou surprising AFO and owning him despite being an "extra" without having the howling souls of the damned appear out of nowhere to randomly hold AFO back at a critical juncture.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kanos posted:

Seriously, this scene would have been enormously better if it was just Jirou surprising AFO and owning him despite being an "extra" without having the howling souls of the damned appear out of nowhere to randomly hold AFO back at a critical juncture.

A villain with a powerful quirk who thinks that only a country's strongest hero, like OfA or Star Might, is capable of standing against him, surprised by hero rank #2053 getting a good hit in? No, it must be ghosts! After all, hero rank #2053 could never save the day, she sucks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All For One stole Steve Job's quirk and will not rest until 3.5mm headphone jacks are destroyed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

A villain with a powerful quirk who thinks that only a country's strongest hero, like OfA or Star Might, is capable of standing against him, surprised by hero rank #2053 getting a good hit in? No, it must be ghosts! After all, hero rank #2053 could never save the day, she sucks.

Like I know it's a spinoff not written by Horikoshi, it's find of funny to have this right after Vigilantes finished, since it has AfO acknowledging how experience and willpower caused a complete nobody like Koichi to become way stronger than would be expected

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Zerilan posted:

Like I know it's a spinoff not written by Horikoshi, it's find of funny to have this right after Vigilantes finished, since it has AfO acknowledging how experience and willpower caused a complete nobody like Koichi to become way stronger than would be expected

I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm genuinely curious: did AfO acknowledge Koichi becoming stronger, or did he acknowledge Koichi's quirk becoming stronger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scholtz posted:

I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm genuinely curious: did AfO acknowledge Koichi becoming stronger, or did he acknowledge Koichi's quirk becoming stronger?

He largely seemed focused on how his Quirk became stronger. AfO basically went "drat, if pushed even lovely Quirks can become amazing" instead of "Wow, this nobody was able to push himself to insane limits because he was unwilling to give up" which is perfectly in character for him.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I mean the ghosts are being summoned by how loving determined she is, I think it's perfectly fair to say that still is her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the ghosts are being summoned by how loving determined she is, I think it's perfectly fair to say that still is her.

A shame all the other people who fought AfO until they literally died, including the previous OfA holders, weren't determined enough, I guess.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Still feel like All For One should have died at Kamino.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kanos posted:

A shame all the other people who fought AfO until they literally died, including the previous OfA holders, weren't determined enough, I guess.

It is very funny that according to the logic presented, Jirou is more determined to take down AfO than even All Might was. Repeatedly. Maybe Stain was wrong abut him being the only true hero (until Deku) after all :v:

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Could it not be that the situation as a whole has called the ghosts forward? Not just Jirou doing stuff, but the whole mobilisation of Hero Society to take this guy down as a unit rather than leaving it to One For All and its successors, with her as a representation of that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GruntMountain posted:

Could it not be that the situation as a whole has called the ghosts forward? Not just Jirou doing stuff, but the whole mobilisation of Hero Society to take this guy down as a unit rather than leaving it to One For All and its successors, with her as a representation of that?
Yeah if you want a mechanical reason you could say New Order woke them up or something. Also, in terms of what happened in the physical world, it looks like AFO just -- got stunned for like one second. It was just a very critical one second.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've completely forgotten the plot of this manga, didn't Nana and All Might not know about the Quirk ghosts at all and Deku's the first one to bring them up and start waking and conversing with them?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jirou being the real hero all along is what we wanted deep down.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Jirou: FINAL WAVE!
AFO: Aww how cute she named it- OH poo poo!

But yeah would've been better if he underestimated how strong Jirou's desperate attack was which let Hawks get the drop on him, none of this force ghost nonsense. It only worked with New Order because of the metaphysical rules of that quirk. But here it's just quiet loud girl saying you made my friends cry!!!, which I'm sure he's heard thousands of times before.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This would have been cool if it was Mineta instead defeating AfO

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mineta should just show up in a list of casualties somewhere in the epilogue.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe AFO is just imagining the quirk ghosts as a subconscious coping mechanism because he's getting owned by a punk rocker riding around on a dude with a bird head doing the Superman flying pose

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

“And this is the story about how Jirou Kyoka became the world’s greatest hero”

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well if AFO is lampshading cliches he should know how much trouble he is in now that he only managed to maim Jirou. She's got a feature defining scar now- you're not gonna be able to just immediately follow up and kill her, that's not good story flow.

You failed to achieve the "big bad off-screens the jobbers" cut, you're screwed bud.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, getting a serious but not life threatening injury is how you win fights, especially in this manga where deku won every fight he was in for the longest time by getting compound fractures in every limb.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe if All Might had shouted "wake up" really loud this would have happened sooner.

Sorry that Jirou is just an all around better and smarter hero than you, All Might.

more like Small Slight

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They didn't call him Lotsa Smarts

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
There were force ghosts in the series years and years ago, it makes just as much sense for AFO to have them as Deku does

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tampa Bae posted:

There were force ghosts in the series years and years ago, it makes just as much sense for AFO to have them as Deku does

A) Yeah the plot around deku sucks too
B) No it doesn't. The whole point of OFA is that it's storing power and passing it on. It's not too logical a jump that that takes a little bit of the user with it. This is just a bunch of rando ghosts of people AFO's stolen ghosts from and the last time something like this happened to anyone not using OFA it was the direct cause of an attack causing it to happen. There's no logical step to this happening to OFA now and just kind of cheapens what little push they're giving Jirou.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All For One has mentioned being occasionally heckled by ghosts before.

Of course this implies that there is a ghost of the Doctor in his quirkscape that sometimes shows up to worship the ground he walks on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I feel like All For One having Quirk Ghosts as well could've worked okay as a reveal right at the end - like, Deku self-sacrificing and passing One For All to AFO, only so they can awaken the spirits of all the people AFO had stolen quirks from. The problem was kinda blowing that reveal for no effect with Star and then just kinda casually throwing it in here.

It's the sort of thing you can see happening to Palpetine at the end of a Star Wars movie, being dragged down by the Force Ghosts of people he wronged. It just doesn't work as well if those Force Ghosts have been taking potshots at him intermittently up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is where I realize that of course quirk ghosts are another Star Wars reference