Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Total War Warhammer 3 has some good ideas but it's incredibly unfinished and their tiny secondary "DLC Team" is left holding the bag. I have no loving idea why they they're treating their main breadwinner game like that.

Although if I had to bet, Creative Assembly is probably not at fault here, it's probably publisher meddling because the suits don't understand poo poo beyond what they gotta do to refill their cocaine buckets short-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's always best to wait on TW games for like a year before diving into a new one. Old DLC's almost always have pretty deep cut sales and it takes time to iron the bugs out/increase functionality/integrate the older games.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

Total War Warhammer 3 has some good ideas but it's incredibly unfinished and their tiny secondary "DLC Team" is left holding the bag. I have no loving idea why they they're treating their main breadwinner game like that.

Although if I had to bet, Creative Assembly is probably not at fault here, it's probably publisher meddling because the suits don't understand poo poo beyond what they gotta do to refill their cocaine buckets short-term.

this is still the same company that released a game centred around guns, with an AI that would wheel its troops around 180 degrees so you could shoot them in the rear end and take no casualties. i think the issues go deeper than bad money men made them do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why didn't they call it Total Warhammer

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Creative Assembly is one of those companies like :dice: where I can't understand why nobody competes with them, because they're absolutely awful at game design, technical work, and monetization, so it'd be relatively easy to just be better than them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Trying to make a viable big budget strategy game without the Total War or Warhammer brands would be pretty tough I reckon

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the reason no one competes with Dice is because it's hard to make a game with that many players in a match and games like COD sell more with small player counts anyway.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tons of games have that many players in a match, they're just battle royales instead of battlefield-alikes

Battlefields whole shtick feels dated at this point, 32v32/64v64 sounds epic on paper but in practice it's just structureless mush where your performance has almost zero impact on the outcome of the game because it's diluted so much

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, i think it's very much an outdated paradigm from the late 90's early 00's where it was just amazing on its face that you could be playing a game with that many people at once through the power of this new form of magic called "the internet". after ~10 years of the internet being commonplace most people realized it's not conducive to really interesting or fun games though, which led to the return/rise of small game stuff like mobas and counterstrikes and whatnot.

then it came back in 2016 with battle royales i guess? i don't know

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Battle royals taught that you can have players make their own fun by giving them nothing but very, very lose rules.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

Tons of games have that many players in a match, they're just battle royales instead of battlefield-alikes

Battlefields whole shtick feels dated at this point, 32v32/64v64 sounds epic on paper but in practice it's just structureless mush where your performance has almost zero impact on the outcome of the game because it's diluted so much
Yeah, but in battle royals, the combat isn't literally 32v32, it's small battles on a huge map. Battlefield's whole thing is huge battles with vehicles and infantry all in the same sector. It's not even close to the same thing. Battlefield is closer to Hell Let Loose and Squad than it is to Battle Royals. I don't think it's dated at all, it's just a different type of game.

If anything, I feel like BRs hit a peak a year ago and we're not seeing any more innovation, things seem to be moving to Tarkov like games with small player counts. I do think Conquest mode is pretty outdated but I love the larger battles in games like BF.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 6, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m still waiting for somebody to make a classic arena shooter a la Unreal Tournament and brand it as a battle royale :v:
It’s just deathmatch after all

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ubisofts Hyperscape was an arena-shooter-ish BR and it failed miserably and shut down, as is tradition for arena shooter revivals

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boomers and BRs don't mix.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
64v64 is definitely idiotic, but you can have a combined arms game with 20-30 players per side and it's absolutely possible to have what you do matter. Hell even in Battlefield you can carry if you're good, even as infantry. DICE deliberately shifted Battlefield into meaningless clusterfucks over the course of the series by making it increasingly "everyone zergs a single point via three corridors" which is absolutely degenerate gameplay. The unique thing that large scale gameplay can bring is that it can combine both direct combat skill and tactical planning/vision. It is more difficult to do a truly great job than designing something simpler, but DICE's games have sold well despite them being completely trash at it, so clearly there's money to be made.

There have been successful "competitors" for DICE, but they've all been more "simulator" focused games like Squad etc, and hyper low TTK games are totally boring to me. I think they do contribute significant evidence that there is a market, though.

Arena shooters I think could be partially revived, but it would require significantly more effort, because they are extremely pure individual skill comparisons with very little luck and no teammates to carry you to wins and blame for your losses. I think starting a game off as 1v1 is dead because of that, but you could probably build a team arena shooter that could succeed, but you'd have to do everything just about perfect. If you found success there, then maybe people would be interested in a 1v1 mode.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

repiv posted:

Ubisofts Hyperscape was an arena-shooter-ish BR and it failed miserably and shut down, as is tradition for arena shooter revivals

Is UBISoft still working on that arena shooter of Rainbow Six Siege?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

K8.0 posted:

Creative Assembly is one of those companies like :dice: where I can't understand why nobody competes with them, because they're absolutely awful at game design, technical work, and monetization, so it'd be relatively easy to just be better than them.

bizarrely they made Alien Isolation which was amazing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was bored yesterday so I spent an hour listening to Nrom Macdonald bits and putting trading cards for sale on Steam.

Now I have .28 Euros thanks to money laundering bots. Thanks Valve! :haw:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

K8.0 posted:

Neocore did the King Arthur games, the first was a worthy game in the genre at the time, but the second sucked and flopped and they switched lanes since.

Game Labs' Ultimate General/Admiral series is another challenger that has found a niche audience and the studio founder is a famous Total War modder. That said, the theatres have a smaller scope than most Total War games and the presentation is of a notably lower standard than CA's titles. I also personally don't care much for the settings they have, but they're there.

Total War games are pretty complex monsters at every step of the design, they are also enormous in terms of content. So I am honestly not surprised that CA doesn't have more serious competitors, though I wish they'd have. A smaller studio's best shot to enter the genre would probably be to deliver a product with much lower graphical/audio fidelity and smaller scope, which is what Game Labs is doing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Aren’t the Knights of Honor games kinda similar? Those at least have major publisher backing.

Whenever anyone asks this question I usually just assume it’s because whatever kind of game in question is actually incredibly difficult to make and trying involves massive amounts of risk. And in this case people haven’t even disliked recent Total War games, really. TWW1/2 and 3K are among the best Total War games ever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao

This means nothing to anyone but me but back in the days of the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade there was a micro machines style racer called Mad Tracks. The company died after making a full disc game that was basically the same thing, but apparently before it did they threw Mad Tracks up on Steam. It's on sale for 2.50

It's probably not worth checking out unless you really want to or have some spare cash (no online, but it has split screen), but it's a nice little hit of nostalgia for me

e: Totally unrelated to that, but is Shortest Trip to Earth any good? I heard it's kind of like FTL? It's on sale too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 6, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Boomers and BRs don't mix.

A lot of boomers play(ed) PUBG (not literal boomers, but people who were around in the arena shooter days).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Diephoon posted:

Yeah Dwarfs aren't the most exciting race but sometimes I just want to listen to a bunch of short hairy muscle men grumble and yell

Turn on you're monitor

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Battle royals taught that you can have players make their own fun by giving them nothing but very, very lose rules.

Which is, hilariously, a lesson we learned in single player games a long time ago with things like Deus Ex, Daggerfall and Wing Commander: Privateer/Freelancer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

repiv posted:

structureless mush where your performance has relatively low impact on the outcome of the game and you just run around clicking badguys is the most fun way to play a shooter though. that's why servers with high player limits running maps like hightower were among the most popular in TF2

but battlefield sucks because it's all giant wide-open levels
and because it has vehicles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but battlefield sucks because it's all giant wide-open levels
and because it has vehicles

That's why it owns

I miss my tank crew dragging my team of shitties to victory despite their best efforts lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You motherfuckers are going to make me reinstall WTW2 again. Every time I think I'm out it sucks me back in!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just noticed TW1/2 DLC is on sale again as well. I already own all of it and just waiting for Immortal Empires before jumping into 3.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

saw a post on the twitters about it and babylon's fall bombed so hard stuff like battleborn and lawbreakers are laughing at it, right? what about it ended up being so awful?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

repiv posted:

K8.0 posted:

64v64 is definitely idiotic, but you can have a combined arms game with 20-30 players per side and it's absolutely possible to have what you do matter. Hell even in Battlefield you can carry if you're good, even as infantry. DICE deliberately shifted Battlefield into meaningless clusterfucks over the course of the series by making it increasingly "everyone zergs a single point via three corridors" which is absolutely degenerate gameplay. The unique thing that large scale gameplay can bring is that it can combine both direct combat skill and tactical planning/vision. It is more difficult to do a truly great job than designing something simpler, but DICE's games have sold well despite them being completely trash at it, so clearly there's money to be made.

I have to disagree here. it depends on how the game is made. I had an absolute TON of hours in MAG back in the day and played almost exclusively in 128 vs 128 maps.

4 people actually coordinating out of 128 could push your win rate noticeably. I had a Just under 60% win rate IIRC, if I wasn't elected to a command position.

IIRC, that game had 8 man squads all linked on voice chat where the squad leader could set objectives for the whole squad. 4 squads linked to a platoon with a commander that could voice chat and talk to everyone under him or just the 4 Squad leaders on a separate channel. 4 Platoons linked to the battlefield commander that could chat to the platoon commanders, all the leaders, or voice chat directly to their entire side, one way. The commanders had various long cooldown abilities like artillery or bunker busters or strafing runs. Most people used them for a few extra kills because most people were idiots.

When battle commander I had over an 80% win rate in a 256 player game. people are just idiots and no one makes the effort. People just blindly slush forward to kill people and 90% ignored the objectives. Even getting my own team to teamkill friendly snipers (which I heavily encouraged) won the objective based maps much faster. A chunk of the time whoever had the most snipers lost because snipers aren't ever touching the objective and respawning meant squat because it was time based no ticket based.

I miss MAG.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's so easy to make a game that nobody can seem to make is a hell of a gamer take.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see your new to games

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

64v64 is definitely idiotic

Then gently caress off from that Biolab and spread out over the rest of the lattice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only notable PC news to come out of the limited run games showcase is that Kenji Eno's D is getting a physical PC re-release, Frogun got a Summer release date, and the Battle Princess Madelyn dev announced a new game patterned after Sunsetriders called Death Wish Enforcers

they're a physical game re-release company so there wasn't really going to be anything special in the event. though there was a new trailer for LUNARK and i'll shill for that game for Flashback fans out there

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a new trailer for LUNARK and i'll shill for that game for Flashback fans out there

Compared to Flashback, Lunark looks like what Environmental Station Alpha is to Metroid. This is promising.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

saw a post on the twitters about it and babylon's fall bombed so hard stuff like battleborn and lawbreakers are laughing at it, right? what about it ended up being so awful?

It went hard into the Games As a Service thing with battlepasses and microtransactions for sale from day 1 (on top of still being a full priced game) which turned a lot of potential buyers off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FishMcCool posted:

Then gently caress off from that Biolab and spread out over the rest of the lattice.

:hmmyes:

Planetside 2 is going to blow that dude's mind

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BitBasher posted:

I miss MAG.
MAG was fun as hell, I really miss it too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Compared to Flashback, Lunark looks like what Environmental Station Alpha is to Metroid. This is promising.
yeah, it's lo-fi but it still has all the right vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cultist Simulator is on sale for $7 and I really want to play it. Is it still giving money to lovely people if I buy it though?