Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Not sure if I'm blanking or uh

Has Lucas ever done anything of plot importance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dmitri-9 posted:

One anachronism I notices was Eddie selling ketamine to the cheerleader. Barbiturates, valium, quaaludes maybe but no way does some hesher in Indiana sell ketamine.

It's 86 at the time the show is at now, it's not like it's 1970. Ketamine was 100 percent around at that point. Was it the most popular drug, hell no. Is it the sort of thing a for real drug dealer might have a small amount of for special occasions? Sure. He has a bunch of other stuff, he's not just "the weed guy". It's fine for him to have that. Especially considering he's the kind of big personality extrovert that is depressed and self-critical. Man was built for the k-hole.

Sockser posted:

Been Max's boyfriend.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mulva posted:

It's 86 at the time the show is at now, it's not like it's 1970. Ketamine was 100 percent around at that point. Was it the most popular drug, hell no. Is it the sort of thing a for real drug dealer might have a small amount of for special occasions? Sure. He has a bunch of other stuff, he's not just "the weed guy". It's fine for him to have that. Especially considering he's the kind of big personality extrovert that is depressed and self-critical. Man was built for the k-hole.

Been Max's boyfriend.

Also this is shown in the show when he can't remember where it is. It's like he got some for cheap and then realized no one in Hawkins wanted any so he forgot where he put it.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e7Does this retcon El opening a gate to the demogorgon, or? Is the gate in the rainbow room the same one as s1?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Different. Rainbow Room is in 1979. Season 1 is 83

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the gate just there for 4 years?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sockser posted:

cool hair

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

Token black character, though now that roles been diminished when they brought in his sister.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Miss Broccoli posted:

is the gate just there for 4 years?

I think when El pushes 01 into the Upside down it doesn't form an actual gate because there's nothing for El to psychically link to. When she touches a Demogorgon for the first time years later it opens the first ever gate between the two dimensions.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Dr Brenner is such a DILF. The actor would make a good Magneto.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

*PILF

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Papa, noooo

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sloth Life posted:

Yeah I could see that working out pretty well. People forget how good of an actor Modine is, he could definitely carry it.

IIRC Modine hinted back in a couple of places after season 1 became a hit that there was supposed to be a bigger emphasis on Brenner's background - I think he's meant to be an Operation Paperclip defector type. Which is probably still the case, and also how they're going to tie in the origin of Vecna's powers - my guess is that he was the baby in the burning house that his father was having visions of, got handed off to the Creel's to look after, and that's how the mom knew to call Brenner.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sockser posted:

He came off the bench and hit the winning shot to get the basketball team the championship!

If this were the right kind of story, that’d make him the main character.

He hasn’t been helped that most of his closest friends are in the California subplot, so he’s third wheel to everyone except maybe Max. He did warn them about the jocks coming for Eddie, although it’s hard to say that made any meaningful difference.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I could see that working out pretty well. People forget how good of an actor Modine is, he could definitely carry it.

IIRC Modine hinted back in a couple of places after season 1 became a hit that there was supposed to be a bigger emphasis on Brenner's background - I think he's meant to be an Operation Paperclip defector type. Which is probably still the case, and also how they're going to tie in the origin of Vecna's powers - my guess is that he was the baby in the burning house that his father was having visions of, got handed off to the Creel's to look after, and that's how the mom knew to call Brenner.

Forgot or don't even know because they're too young to remember it. Modine was a legitimate Hollywood star for a while.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

He came off the bench and hit the winning shot to get the basketball team the championship!

If this were the right kind of story, that’d make him the main character.

He hasn’t been helped that most of his closest friends are in the California subplot, so he’s third wheel to everyone except maybe Max. He did warn them about the jocks coming for Eddie, although it’s hard to say that made any meaningful difference.

It didn't. Lucas sent them on that wild goose chase for like 2 seconds but that's about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Forgot or don't even know because they're too young to remember it. Modine was a legitimate Hollywood star for a while.

Like many of the cast, he's someone who was arguably at their peak in the 1980s. Modine with Full Metal Jacket, Reiser with Aliens, Ryder with Beetlejuice and Heathers, Sean Astin with The Goonies. There are probably other examples, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

Him and the jocks isn't a thing for him to do. His choices and experiences with the jocks is part of the story.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jedit posted:

Like many of the cast, he's someone who was arguably at their peak in the 1980s. Modine with Full Metal Jacket, Reiser with Aliens, Ryder with Beetlejuice and Heathers, Sean Astin with The Goonies. There are probably other examples, but those are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

Yes. I've said it before but casting on this show was incredible. What a great mix of veteran actors that had become a little bit forgotten and young unknowns.

E: I also love your username/AV. That was one of my favorite cards in my UWG deck.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Carey Elwes!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jedit posted:

Wouldn’t Astin’s peak be Lord of the Rings?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Oasx posted:

:colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

While Rudy is fun, and Sam in LotR is the only good part, Goonies smashes both movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oasx posted:

As an adult, yes, but his adult career is pretty much defined by LOTR. He's had constant work, but nothing even close to feature movie leads. His child actor career is much more relevant, particularly given the parallels between the Hawkins kids and the Goonies (most notably that it's a group of four boys, the leader's older sibling and the sibling's romantic partner, and the leader of both gangs is called Michael W).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Modine is excellent in this. I hope he gets some attention and some juicy roles from this season, should he want them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I wouldn't argue that some of these actors peaked in the 80's -- Ryder IMO peaked in the 90's with Edward Scissorhands, Girl Interrupted and Little Women -- but they all had iconic roles during the 80's, in films that this series is drawing on.

(Again, in Ryder's case, that's probably her role in Beetlejuice rather than Heathers. You'd think they'd have referenced that film more heavily during the bullying this year, or during the mall plotline, but sadly not.)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Robert Englund looked so much like Redd Fox I was waiting him to scream Lamont! During his scene.

The rest of the Kate bush album that song is on is p good btw. Cloudbusting is probably the next best song on the whole album( which was used in handmaiden’s tale)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Him and the jocks isn't a thing for him to do. His choices and experiences with the jocks is part of the story.

Oh, I agree, and I don’t think he’s a token, but it seems accurate so far to say that while he does have a character arc and several good scenes (especially with Max), he could be removed from the story thus far and the plot wouldn’t be noticably altered. He wasn’t even as important as he should have been in episode 4.

I’m happy with some good character scenes that don’t drive the plot forward. It’ll be nice if they give him more to do, though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Somebody asked why Vecna was just doing things now, and it occurred to me that if the Soviets really have captured/subdued the Mind Flayer, maybe that's why Vecna can finally act.

Yeah, I was thinking about this. I do not think they're aligned because in S2 and S3, the MF was desperate to defend the gate and neutralized when it was closed. Vecna can apparently act on the world without a gate and open new ones at will.

It would also be an angle to tie the plots together. Maybe hopper and crew releasing the MF from the gulag back into the upside down is key to stopping vecna.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about this. I do not think they're aligned because in S2 and S3, the MF was desperate to defend the gate and neutralized when it was closed. Vecna can apparently act on the world without a gate and open new ones at will.

It would also be an angle to tie the plots together. Maybe hopper and crew releasing the MF from the gulag back into the upside down is key to stopping vecna.

MF was clearly in control of the Demogorgons but in several shots you can see the baby slugs crawling on Vecna. MF being captured may have created a power vacuum

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Just finished this and have been kicking around a few thoughts about the plot that are fun to speculate on: When 11 sends 001 into the upside down, the gate itself appears to be living, with tendrils etc, already, but the inside seems largely devoid of anything except the lightning storms—like the electrical activity inside a brain even. I think the whole thing is basically one living, conscious entity that 001 takes possession of and bends to his will. Hell, I think it even tried to kill 001 with that lightning but he used his powers to stop it from succeeding.

No one had to close the gate 11 opened by sending 001 through it because it closed on its own. It healed. They even look like open wounds, and the only reason the others don’t close is because they’re being held open. That’s why 001/vecna is hunting down people with past traumas to open these new gates—they’re people unable to let their old wounds heal.

So, as 001 tells 11, he wants a world of his own making. He’s taken control of the upside down and become a part of it. He’s molded it the way he wants it to be, including everything living inside it. The reason I think Hawkins (and other places) exist in the upside down is because those are the places that existed in 001’s mind. And Will’s mind, when he was possessed by him…and I’m sure various other instances where the creatures of the upside down have leaked into our world while psychically connected to Vecna.

That’s why Nancy’s house was stuck in 1983. But I don’t think that’s the only thing going on there. Vecna/001 is obsessed with time. Not only in his rant at the lab but his fixation on the grandfather clock. His victims’ minds are stuck in time, as they keep reliving their past. Music (especially a favorite song) is counteracting his possession because it can anchor your mind to a very specific place/time—drawing you out of his trap.

At first I thought that Vecna was doing all this to not only destroy the world he hates, while also taking a snapshot of it that can exist outside of time and space in the upside down. But now I’m also forced to consider an ending where he is actually trying to go back in time to his younger self—before he passes out and is captured by Brenner. Like at the end of the show nothing ever happens with Brenner’s program, 11 is raised by her mother without ever developing powers, none of it happens. There’s just a scene at the end of 001 as a kid leaving the house like the dog running away from the research station in The Thing.

Sorry I know that’s a lot of words but my brain just had to put it down in writing somewhere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spoilers because I guess there's goons who didn't watch the first half of this newest season?

One getting altered into Vecna while he was floating through the Upside Down reminded me of Megatron being changed into Galvatron by Unicron during the Transformers Movie.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sockser posted:

In season 1, when he's still pissed at Mike and goes off by himself to find Will, he spots the fake vans and gives them a heads up that they need to leave the house

That might be it

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

wuffles posted:

Just finished this and have been kicking around a few thoughts about the plot that are fun to speculate on: No one had to close the gate 11 opened by sending 001 through it because it closed on its own. It healed. They even look like open wounds, and the only reason the others don’t close is because they’re being held open. That’s why 001/vecna is hunting down people with past traumas to open these new gates—they’re people unable to let their old wounds heal.

I hadn't made that connection but I really like it. Good thoughts-ing.

Are we out of spoiler territory yet? I had a question about Vecna & Max that I've been considering.

In the Kate Bush scene in episode 4, is Vecna seeing Max in a pure dream sequence, or is it actually reflecting something that's happening in the Upside Down? That is, while Max is running away, is Vecna just chilling in the attic of his house suspended by tentacles? Or, is he actually outside walking around and seeing and interacting with... something?

We know the Upside Down is actually a physical place that humans can travel to and take up space in. But Max's body was in the graveyard. So, what was Vecna seeing? Did he create a physical double of her? Maybe something weirder, like her body is in the real world, but her mind actually traveled to the Upside Down and exists as something that can still be seen, like a shadowy echo?

Or, was it really just the simple answer, it was all pure illusion and Max never left the graveyard, even mentally? That answer just seems so boring to me. It takes a lot of tension out of the scene. And Vecna directly states "No, this isn't a dream, I really am here" to her and that could be just a total lie but... I don't have anything to justify this but it just didn't seem like he was lying. And he seemed like he was genuinely hurt when she ripped off a piece of his neck. Did that actually happen to his body, or was it just, like, mentally upsetting?

I like to think that it was a little more than just a vision, that some part of Max was really existing in the Upside Down world, which is a really trippy thing to think about. Would have big implications about what that realm really represents.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Squiggly posted:

In season 1, when he's still pissed at Mike and goes off by himself to find Will, he spots the fake vans and gives them a heads up that they need to leave the house

That might be it

IF we're going back to previous seasons, his firework idea is how they delayed the meat flayer long enough to save everyone.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I hadn't made that connection but I really like it. Good thoughts-ing.

Are we out of spoiler territory yet? I had a question about Vecna & Max that I've been considering.

In the Kate Bush scene in episode 4, is Vecna seeing Max in a pure dream sequence, or is it actually reflecting something that's happening in the Upside Down? That is, while Max is running away, is Vecna just chilling in the attic of his house suspended by tentacles? Or, is he actually outside walking around and seeing and interacting with... something?

We know the Upside Down is actually a physical place that humans can travel to and take up space in. But Max's body was in the graveyard. So, what was Vecna seeing? Did he create a physical double of her? Maybe something weirder, like her body is in the real world, but her mind actually traveled to the Upside Down and exists as something that can still be seen, like a shadowy echo?

Or, was it really just the simple answer, it was all pure illusion and Max never left the graveyard, even mentally? That answer just seems so boring to me. It takes a lot of tension out of the scene. And Vecna directly states "No, this isn't a dream, I really am here" to her and that could be just a total lie but... I don't have anything to justify this but it just didn't seem like he was lying. And he seemed like he was genuinely hurt when she ripped off a piece of his neck. Did that actually happen to his body, or was it just, like, mentally upsetting?

I like to think that it was a little more than just a vision, that some part of Max was really existing in the Upside Down world, which is a really trippy thing to think about. Would have big implications about what that realm really represents.

Best I can tell, he invaded her mind, like he did with the others. But because she had somewhat found closure to her grief over Billy, he couldn’t keep her completely trapped there in her own mind. The only other place for her to go, metaphorically, is into Vecna’s mind.

So once again he’s found himself in a psychic struggle with a young girl who bests him by remembering the people that care about her. As for neck, was that the same place that 11 pulled the control chip out of in episode 7? If so, could just be where he’s experiencing the feeling of weakness?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sockser posted:

He has the best line in the series when he tells Brenner to eat poo poo at the end of season one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wuffles posted:

Vecna/001 is obsessed with time. Not only in his rant at the lab but his fixation on the grandfather clock. His victims’ minds are stuck in time, as they keep reliving their past. Music (especially a favorite song) is counteracting his possession because it can anchor your mind to a very specific place/time—drawing you out of his trap.

There's another layer: music is music because it has a time signature.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

wuffles posted:

If so, could just be where he’s experiencing the feeling of weakness?

The chip thing was in his neck on his right side. She pulls out a chunk of the left side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

wuffles posted:

As for neck, was that the same place that 11 pulled the control chip out of in episode 7? If so, could just be where he’s experiencing the feeling of weakness?

The control chip was in the right side of One's neck. Max rips out a chunk from the left side.

Edit: Beaten like a Demobat.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 6, 2022