Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh well this is a rental, IDGAF if they do that

Maple saplings are really easy to spot and they take about a tenth of a second to pull out, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Holy poo poo, just got back from a 2 week vacation and my traps flowered :stare:

I'll get pics tomorrow, I need to pass out first.

Edit: or I'll just do it now I'm too excited.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 2, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...I actually had no idea Venus fly traps flowered.

It just looks so normal!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Brawnfire posted:

That makes two of us.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

It just looks so normal!

That’s what it wants you to think

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t stick your stamen in that.

You’ll get a venereal disease.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when would be a good time to have my zanzibar on my patio? It is normally in my bedroom, so it doesn't really grow at all in there. I think someone a while back in this thread said August? I am facing SW so I get plenty of sun.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BigFactory posted:

That’s what it wants you to think

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's glorious, His Divine Shadow. I like your tiny shed, too.

I've seen lots of plums where you have to plant a second variety for pollination, but never a "male plant" per se; wild plums (Prunus americana) are dioecious, meaning plants are either male or female, but not cultivated plums. Your plants don't look like wild plum, which is very shrubby.

Well that's how I understood it from the gardener we bought them from, I am no expert, but the other tree hardly flowers.

Our water barrels have attracted attention

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

It just looks so normal!

The vast majority of plants flower. Gymnosperms (conifers, ginkgos, cycads, some other poo poo) and pteridophytes (mostly ferns and various mosses/worts) are the main exceptions (unless I forgot some).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I guess I thought carnivorous plants were more specialized than that, like they spent their energy on making a death grin or death pitcher, but I guess those are just weird leaves and they still gotta present their floral genitals sometime

It does make sense, like I imagine having a flower would make the traps even more effective by attracting insects.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well that's how I understood it from the gardener we bought them from, I am no expert, but the other tree hardly flowers.
The other tree not flowering just means it's unhappy for some reason (or it's a slow maturer). If it were a male, it would flower just as copiously as the female. Ask your sinuses during any Spring: that stuff making them run is pollen, which comes from the fertilizing parent.

When you say "the gardener", was this a garden store or nursery, or another person who had a garden and sold plants on the side?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's called a "plant school" if I directly translate it and it's like a garden store, people buy plants and garden accessories from there. Nowadays there are big garden chainstores but we go to these places. Guy and his wife are both 80 plus, there are two plant schools near us and both the owners are 80 plus married couples now that I think about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I picked peaches yesterday and they’re almost the last of that variety.

BREAKING: I’m through the second variety and well into the third.

I didn’t plan their seasons of ripeness particularly well…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was going to build some bonsai/succulent benches on my back patio out of cinderblocks and wood planks today, like one does, but now I see that Target’s got 36”x36”x18” 3-level wire shelving for $20/each

and I know I can take two of those and make them into 108”x36”x18” with two rows of shelves and I’m debating whether I’d rather just do that and gain the benefits of relative movability at the expense of the shelves looking a bit jank and eventually rusting/etc

I know a lot of plant people use these outdoors as a cheap and easy way of getting their stuff off the ground. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger one way or the other? I’d like to get this done today.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Unless you got wood burning a hold in your pocket go with the wire shelves. Woods expensive nowadays, and if the shelves you were going to build are the ones I'm imagining the jank factor is the same either way

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was going to build some bonsai/succulent benches on my back patio out of cinderblocks and wood planks today, like one does, but now I see that Target’s got 36”x36”x18” 3-level wire shelving for $20/each

and I know I can take two of those and make them into 108”x36”x18” with two rows of shelves and I’m debating whether I’d rather just do that and gain the benefits of relative movability at the expense of the shelves looking a bit jank and eventually rusting/etc

I know a lot of plant people use these outdoors as a cheap and easy way of getting their stuff off the ground. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger one way or the other? I’d like to get this done today.

Wire shelving is gonna look like poo poo and might be easily knocked over. Do some simple benches, paint/stain the Cinderblocks and the wood and it’ll look like a million bucks for about the same price

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i used Shirley's Simple Shelving which is $$$ but you can do something similar w cinderblocks. i hit the lumber w a blowtorch to make the grain pop as kind of a lovely "Shou Sugi Ban" but no stain or anything like that. w some paint and creativity i think you can make a nice looking bench that will complement your plants and last as well

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
brutal triplepost but all this reminded me of my eventualdream setup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Wire shelving is gonna look like poo poo and might be easily knocked over. Do some simple benches, paint/stain the Cinderblocks and the wood and it’ll look like a million bucks for about the same price

fwiw it’s a rental and I don’t really wanna move 12-18 cinder blocks around

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

brutal triplepost but all this reminded me of my eventualdream setup

holy poo poo

Also, what kind of maple is that on the second row of your own collection?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Absolutely do the wire shelves then. Just make sure you put something heavy enough on the bottom to anchor so it doesn't fall over and ruin your plants. It won't be anywhere near as stable.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

it was your original suggestion!! :D

Solkanar512 posted:

holy poo poo

Also, what kind of maple is that on the second row of your own collection?

could it be a bloodgood? It mostly has red leaves although not as consistently red as most of the bloodgoods I've seen. It was a no-name Japanese maple that I bought for cheap and that sadly didn't make it through the winter. I live in zone5 and I don't think I'm gonna buy many more of the 'traditional' bonsai trees, they're just too finicky to deal with. Oddly enough my satsuki azalea did just fine

I'd like to get a willow leaf ficus and maaaybe an acacia/Brazilian raintree/mimosa this year, but idk how finicky they are to overwinter. Definitely a willow leaf ficus though, ficus and portulacarias are nice and easy for me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ugh all the shelves sold out over lunch

guess I’m doing cinderblocks :toot:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

ugh all the shelves sold out over lunch

guess I’m doing cinderblocks :toot:

:twisted:

Post a piccie of whatever you come up with!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:twisted:

Post a piccie of whatever you come up with!

I lied. Turns out they restocked overnight and I just pulled the trigger on what will hopefully become two staggered 36x108” black epoxy benches for the backyard, plus I got a couple units in chrome for storage in the pantry

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've just learned from the blisters on my arm that fig sap + sunlight can cause nasty burns! I had a rash on my forearms a few weeks ago after doing some pruning that looked like poison ivy but didn't itch and took a while to heal, did some more pruning over the weekend and have nasty blisters in one little spot on my forearm. I thought about it and realized the fig tree was the only thing I had pruned both weekends, and lo and behold, fig sap and sunlight will burn the heck out of you: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-11/fig-tree-sap-burns-leave-horrible-scars/100200176

Plants are wild.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Plants are wild.

Speaking of plants that try to kill us, my Opuntia that I try never to get within two feet of just started flowerin'. I got glochids in my hand taking pictures of it somehow even though I didn't even touch it.

Bonus photo of a cool (mostly dead) tree I found the other day.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

My gasteria are doing very well — I kind of can't believe how fast they are growing. Thank you for the advice back in April (count two new leaves on the little one! it must have taken root).

My next question is about the three in the white pot — my instinct is to separate them so they don't get their roots tangled. Is there any reason to keep them in the same pot? They already seem like they are kind of getting in each others' way.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I have a bit of a quandary here. I have a very small A. shirasawanum that I discovered with drooping leaves and whatnot. Figuring it was due to some watering issues I got down to investigate and instead found that bark under the graft (low grafted maple here) was missing, about an inch tall and up to 50% around. Likely I nicked it with a weedeater, as the other dozen maples (this should surprise no one here) in the area are just fine.

So first thing I did was overnight some Tree Wound compound to cover that wound up, but I'm wondering something here - do I just do that and wait for it to eventually come back, or is there more I can do here? It's low to the ground, so would it be possible or even advisable to air layer it at the wound location? I know a traditional air layering technique would essentially require ringing the whole tree, which seems like a terrible idea, so could I instead scrape off the wound compound, make cuts above and below the wound for a "partial" air layer instead?

I'm thinking here that it would be easy mound up dirt (or do a more traditional dirt secured in a bag) and go that route?

Am I missing anything fundamental here?

And yes, those exposed roots are already well covered and watered now.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
what's your goal, to return the tree to optimum health or to do a really low air layer? even the use of wound sealant is controversial, i dont know enough to opine one way or the other.

honestly i think your question might be better answered on this forum: https://www.bonsainut.com

great group of tree lovers over there, very helpful and well informed

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Speaking of Japanese maple damage, this happened the other day:

Went to go hang on the porch the other day and noticed this branch on our coral bark had snapped and was dangling by a thread of bark. Fell off completely as soon as I touched it. I'm thinking weather or maybe a neighborhood cat making a failed attempt to get at the bird nest in the tree (an adorable family of cardinals :3:). Either way, the branch was structurally unsound - looked like it had grown around the dead nub of an older branch. If I'd known it was so weak I might have tried wiring it or something. Mostly bummed because it contributed nicely to the visual balance of the foliage. There are new offshoots but they'll take a while to grow in.

In other news, finally having some success with this little rose bush I planted a year or two ago. It's a feat because so far I've been terrible at roses (also orchids but that's a whole other post).

Got some pruning advice from my Master Gardener mom and it seems to have worked. It's flowering more than it ever has and is putting out a lot of new growth, and generally seems healthier and happier.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

what's your goal, to return the tree to optimum health or to do a really low air layer? even the use of wound sealant is controversial, i dont know enough to opine one way or the other.

honestly i think your question might be better answered on this forum: https://www.bonsainut.com

great group of tree lovers over there, very helpful and well informed

The goal is optimum health. Thanks for the link!

EDIT: Just spoke with my dad, who works with an arborist. Turns out I did everything fine, I just need to baby it and understand that it's going to grow slower than normal.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 9, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Queen Victorian posted:

Got some pruning advice from my Master Gardener mom and it seems to have worked. It's flowering more than it ever has and is putting out a lot of new growth, and generally seems healthier and happier.

mind sharing? mine are doing terribly this year and i think it's because i didn't prune them enough.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

mind sharing? mine are doing terribly this year and i think it's because i didn't prune them enough.

yes please! share Moms wisdom w us :)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Is there any greater sound than hydrogen peroxide working its way into a pot of soil disintegrating fungus gnat eggs? Fuckers are out of control this spring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just spent an hour and a half wrangling a rental truck on Interstate 93 to get this 12’ 250lb beauty home:

(bald cypress)

there’s a strong vertical branch/secondary trunk about halfway up that you can’t really make out under the foliage in the picture.

The plan is to try air layering the top half above that branch this weekend and then separate the two halves come Aug/Sept. Then the aforementioned limb becomes the new leader on the old trunk and hopefully I end up with two lovely prebonsai to mature.

The trunk base on this thing is just :discourse:

there was a second, less developed (and less desired by me) one for sale too but after I spent the last like 4 weeks scoping them out and pretty comfortably certain that nobody was gonna buy them before the end of season 50% off liquidation, somebody swooped in with a truck last night and bought it.

so this morning I got active in order to ensure I didn’t lose out on this loving beauty. At minimum, if the air layering fails, I hope to get at least one seriously awesome, showpiece tree out of this.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a way to keep a plant marketed to me as a "bonsai" really tiny if I grow it from a seed? Or should I buy something and hope it comes with decent directions? I want to ensure that a "bonsai" Meyer lemon tree will remain under a specific size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

Is there a way to keep a plant marketed to me as a "bonsai" really tiny if I grow it from a seed? Or should I buy something and hope it comes with decent directions? I want to ensure that a "bonsai" Meyer lemon tree will remain under a specific size.

anything marketed as bonsai is marked up a gorillion percent in my experience, and often not worth it. The exception is maybe certain dwarf plants.

You keep a bonsai small by repotting, pruning branches, defoliating if necessary, and root pruning if necessary.

Sometimes that means restyling and replacing old branches with younger branches as the tree ages.