Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My wife and I watched Idiocracy for the first time last week. I know the movie from cultural osmosis, but never wanted to watch it because the people who are the loudest fans are not people whose opinions you should trust.

"Your problem isn't the fans. Your problem is the people who you know that like it are the very people it's mocking, and they don't get the joke."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol ehat we are experiencing is a reversal of the progress of the second half of the 20th century. We still have a long, long way to go to reach failed state levels.

Which isnt to say we wont get there - there are issues on the horizon that absolutely have the capacity to cripple the USA. But things are definitely going to get way worse before we reach a pre-civil war state of affairs

The US didn’t exist prior to 1990 so we don’t need to get into the absolutely incredible levels of misery and inequality the state has managed to survive through over the years.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

My wife and I watched Idiocracy for the first time last week. I know the movie from cultural osmosis, but never wanted to watch it because the people who are the loudest fans are not people whose opinions you should trust.

"Your problem isn't the fans. Your problem is the people who you know that like it are the very people it's mocking, and they don't get the joke."

So did you like it?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ehhh. Sometimes it's good to look in a mirror and laugh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think the US might be a uniquely fragile state despite it’s vast wealth.

Or maybe because it’s vast wealth? Like the high degree of concentration of wealth means that state security apparatus and those with influence will continue to be insulated while having the ability to prevent the rise of “legitimate” challenge to their power like unions or grassroots politics as well as illegal dual power structures like gangs or insurgent groups functioning as local governments in places with real failed states like Palestine, Brazilian slums or rural Mexico and India. That plus culturally and historically sets up America to be maybe pretty brittle when a significant number of people really start to feel it in stuff like food prices, like we got a quick mini taste of during the baby formula thing.

Bread prices to median wage is I think the number one predictor of violent civil unrest and because America is a weird combination of vast wealth yet relative inequality and oligarchic capture of institutions I think it’s prone to breaking much faster since it doesn’t have all the safety valves or sort of unofficial institutions states that are much worse off do. Like how quick the USSR folded.

What was that power point presentation where they concluded that the soviets were in much better position to weather a collapse than the US

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: goddamn idiocracy was a glimpse into the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk

The reality is somehow more dystopian than Idiocracy. Fast food/supermarket self-service kiosks at least usually have a real person physically around. Instead, you're going to be added to a queue and redirected to the next available person in a call center where they can undercut local wages. It's the experience of calling customer service that everyone loves, coming to a retail location near you.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8791036/freshii-percy-virtual-cashier-job-outsourcing/

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 6, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1533824953262407682?s=20&t=s0XYIDqYnmBWiCLhidI-6g

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I feel like if this were legit it would have come up long before now. This feels like someone trying to make paramount panic and pay without doing due diligence

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like if this were legit it would have come up long before now. This feels like someone trying to make paramount panic and pay without doing due diligence

No it sounds like they have a good case and Paramount may have dropped the ball:

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1533825964005801985?s=20&t=zjrddIvefttkeNB2FpdKOQ

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Im guessing bullshit lawsuit looking to get money. I’m sure Paramount Pictures got the blessing from the US Navy, which actually runs TOPGUN since like 1970. Some random rear end in a top hat copywriting or registering the term isn’t going to have the standing since it was already in popular culture since 1984.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Speaking of bullshit legal maneuvers

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1533814647152955392?t=qNsNTUAch9DvNRE086q52Q&s=19

Elon's going to pay $1b or get forced to buy Twitter and tank Tesla (though he claims he got outside financing) :toot:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

No it sounds like they have a good case and Paramount may have dropped the ball:

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1533825964005801985?s=20&t=zjrddIvefttkeNB2FpdKOQ

When was Top Gun 2 announced? Was it before or after Jan 2020?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

When was Top Gun 2 announced? Was it before or after Jan 2020?

They have to maintain that through the entirety of shooting, its the very sort of 'god of the gaps' that Lawyers love to run with.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's not bad but you could condense the jokes into five minutes and lose nothing, and has a strangely pro-eugenics viewpoint. Weak cast with Luke Wilson & Maya Rudolph as empty shells.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CommieGIR posted:

They have to maintain that through the entirety of shooting, its the very sort of 'god of the gaps' that Lawyers love to run with.

It's all Greek to me but doesn't the suit fully hinge on that magazine article being the only notable or valued inspiration for the 2nd movie? Wouldn't it be very easy to challenge that claim?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's all Greek to me but doesn't the suit fully hinge on that magazine article being the only notable or valued inspiration for the 2nd movie? Wouldn't it be very easy to challenge that claim?

I wouldn't be shocked if Paramount hasn't paid out to the rights holders based on the termination, hence the lawsuit. Disney has done this before as well, they get the rights termination notice, continue with production, and pocket what they normally would've paid the rights holders.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
BREAKING: COVID now detected in rats

https://twitter.com/KristenShamus/status/1533869567704936448?t=csXtXbf1Z1PC51Vkb_E9GQ&s=19

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Speaking of bullshit legal maneuvers

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1533814647152955392?t=qNsNTUAch9DvNRE086q52Q&s=19

Elon's going to pay $1b or get forced to buy Twitter and tank Tesla (though he claims he got outside financing) :toot:

Isn’t the 1 billion bailout part of a mutual agreement on the buyout not going through? I don’t think he can just declare he’s not buying and then only have to pay up.

I have to imagine there are a shitload of lawsuits headed his way if he does find a way to back out too.

I’m sure he’ll easily wriggle himself out of this jam but this seems like one where he might have really hosed up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think the US might be a uniquely fragile state despite it’s vast wealth.

I'd say the US has become the world's biggest banana republic. Our only successful exports are bombs and high-quality bullshit (all credit to Carlin for saying it first).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

Isn’t the 1 billion bailout part of a mutual agreement on the buyout not going through? I don’t think he can just declare he’s not buying and then only have to pay up.

I have to imagine there are a shitload of lawsuits headed his way if he does find a way to back out too.

I’m sure he’ll easily wriggle himself out of this jam but this seems like one where he might have really hosed up.

You have a very good point, per Fortune:

https://fortune.com/2022/05/18/elon-musk-twitter-deal-second-thoughts-termination-fee-spam/

quote:

If Musk did abandon his unsolicited Twitter takeover bid, the Tesla CEO would be on the hook for a $1 billion break-up fee written into the preliminary acquisition contract. If Musk really is having buyer's remorse, that break-up fee might look like a cheap way out. The $1 billion sum is far smaller than Musk's $44 billion offer to buy Twitter, and only a fraction of Musk's $230 billion net worth.

But that fee obscures how difficult it would be for Musk to walk away.

"A breakup fee is not an option to walk away," Professor Mitu Gulati told Axios. Break up clauses are normally only triggered under specified circumstances—and not just because the buyer thinks they've paid too much. In theory, Twitter could sue for damages if Musk just decides to walk away—although the deal both parties have signed caps potential damages at the value of the termination fee, or $1 billion.

Twitter does have another ace up its sleeve, however. Under the company’s sales agreement with Musk, Twitter can sue its potential suitor for “specific performance”, where a court orders the defendant to carry out a specific action—such as fulfil a contract they signed.

However, forcing Musk to carry out his purchase would be only one possible outcome of such a lawsuit. Twitter might settle with Musk, either agreeing to sell the company at a discount, or letting Musk pay a higher fee to call the deal off. Alternatively, the suit might fail entirely, and a judge could decide to let Musk walk away from the deal.

The social media platform might also decide pursuing a lawsuit is too risky and costly. Mergers and acquisitions often lead to job losses, as employees choose to leave rather than work under new management. That means a company in the middle of being bought is already “losing a lot of key employees already as if the new owner were already in charge,” James Woolery, founding partner in law firm Woolery & Co and expert in hostile takeovers, told Fortune. “So they’re willing to settle for a lower price, but not a huge discount.”

I'd more think Twitter would have better lawyers than Elon for this kind of thing, as the Twitter Board actually wants to gover their poo poo and Elon's lawyers are probably a flavor of legal Yes Men for his weirdo purchases and poo poo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say the US has become the world's biggest banana republic. Our only successful exports are bombs and high-quality bullshit (all credit to Carlin for saying it first).
Indeed, these are the only exports of known economic weakling, the United States of America.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

Indeed, these are the only exports of known economic weakling, the United States of America.

Oh hey, more evidence that facetiousness is an extinct concept. :rolleyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Twitter has the ability and the motivation to force the sale at the agreed-upon price so I guess we’ll see how well a billionaire can wriggle out of a jam at the expense of another billionaire (company).

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Love to see it, Enrique Tario and four of his lieutenants have been charged with Seditious Conspiracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/06/tarrio-proud-boys-seditious-conpiracy/

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I thought Idiocracy had its charm, it had some funny moments, but it was massively overhyped my mouth breathing conspiracy mongerists in the military and in college. I enjoyed it, but the idea that some people cling to that we are three days from it being a reality.

I did appreciate the military humor in it, and the premise that they just forgot him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bojo survived, but by a worse margin than Theresa May

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I thought Idiocracy had its charm, it had some funny moments, but it was massively overhyped my mouth breathing conspiracy mongerists in the military and in college. I enjoyed it, but the idea that some people cling to that we are three days from it being a reality.

I did appreciate the military humor in it, and the premise that they just forgot him.

Someone else said it earlier, but the people its making fun of, don't get that they're the people its making fun of.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

"This one goes in your mouth, this one goes in your butt. no wait, other way around" will always be funny.

Actually at work when a particularly stupid customer leaves we will often say that to each other as a joke about how dumb they were.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Love to see it, Enrique Tario and four of his lieutenants have been charged with Seditious Conspiracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/06/tarrio-proud-boys-seditious-conpiracy/

Lets see who will get thrown under the bus first!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

not caring here posted:

There's got to be a Vegas line on this by now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

not caring here posted:

It'll one hundred percent be the dude in a white supremacist nofap cult named Enrique.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

He’s going to get away for a fraction of that because five hundred million dollars in lawyering can stick Twitter in a quagmire for a long time.

At some point they figure out that that is costing them more money than they can extract from Musk.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Counterpoint, he’s asking twitter and Reddit to find him lawyers

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He picked a fight with other mega wealthy people, this is probably going to cost him.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

He’s going to get away for a fraction of that because five hundred million dollars in lawyering can stick Twitter in a quagmire for a long time.

At some point they figure out that that is costing them more money than they can extract from Musk.

nah at that point they sue to have the contract performed. The idea that musk is some kind of mercurial genius who is going to beat out a bunch of billionaires is nonsense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lol ehat we are experiencing is a reversal of the progress of the second half of the 20th century. We still have a long, long way to go to reach failed state levels.

Which isnt to say we wont get there - there are issues on the horizon that absolutely have the capacity to cripple the USA. But things are definitely going to get way worse before we reach a pre-civil war state of affairs

We were looking at some loving leaps forward in that direction prior to the last election.

And given how things are going right now, I think we've got a decent chance of jumping right back on the path. Maybe even moving a bit faster, depending on who wins the GOP primary going into '24.

Edit: One of the few reasons I'd like to just skip ahead a chapter or two in this timeline is to be able to see what evidence DOJ and the House actually have.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 7, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Musk is going to take a big hit and also his broke brain fanboys will do gofundme drives for him because everything is insanely stupid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nah at that point they sue to have the contract performed. The idea that musk is some kind of mercurial genius who is going to beat out a bunch of billionaires is nonsense.

And they would win.

The problem is that it will take years to get a court order, and all the while no one in finance will touch their company with a ten‐foot pole.

Taking the lawsuit to its conclusion would yield a Pyrrhic victory. What’s actually going to happen is that they start the proceedings, Musk grumbles, and they settle for Musk paying much less than Twitter is entitled to and loving off into the sunset.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

And they would win.

The problem is that it will take years to get a court order, and all the while no one in finance will touch their company with a ten‐foot pole.

Taking the lawsuit to its conclusion would yield a Pyrrhic victory. What’s actually going to happen is that they start the proceedings, Musk grumbles, and they settle for Musk paying much less than Twitter is entitled to and loving off into the sunset.

Wow are you Elon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Agreed the billionaires Elon is trying to frantically get out of a deal with will just give up on getting the full amount they're legally entitled to. He'll probably post a sick meme and that's that

He waived a due diligence clause that would have been his out from the deal and is using Tesla stock as collateral, with Tesla trading signicantly lower than when he offered to buy Twitter, and if it drops enough means liquidation to pay his margin loan but I'm sure he's just going to get out of this fine because ???

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2022