Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I don't have any expensive knives, but I do have some nice ones that I take care of and sharpen regularly because nothing is more irritating than trying to cut stuff up with a blunt knife.
I have to defend them constantly from family who will literally take them out to the garden to cut poo poo up, or use the tips of them to prise junk out of crevices.
I had a nice, medium-sized chef knife that I was very fond of that is now hosed because 'someone' used the tip to prise something and bent it slightly so now it can't be sharpened properly anymore.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will never understand the prying-with-a-knife people. All of them should experience a knife through the palm. CONGRATS, YOU GOT IT LOOSE

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

He really would have had to slam the knife into the cutting board as hard as possible to get it so deep that it couldn't be wiggled out. "Let me treat this special item in a way I wouldn't even treat my lovely knives at home, because I'm a complete rear end in a top hat".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't pay $2000 for a knife lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pookah posted:

I don't have any expensive knives, but I do have some nice ones that I take care of and sharpen regularly because nothing is more irritating than trying to cut stuff up with a blunt knife.
I have to defend them constantly from family who will literally take them out to the garden to cut poo poo up, or use the tips of them to prise junk out of crevices.
I had a nice, medium-sized chef knife that I was very fond of that is now hosed because 'someone' used the tip to prise something and bent it slightly so now it can't be sharpened properly anymore.

:(

what the gently caress. you should buy everyone in your family a bunch of cheap screwdrivers for christmas and nothing else. what the gently caress is up with your family

hawowanlawow posted:

don't pay $2000 for a knife lol

she didn't, her dad did, and its a critical tool for her livelihood, likely paying for itself over the year by working great

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Poster: I have an expensive thing, I warn people it's an expensive thing and tell them to leave my expensive thing alone, even going so far as to include leaving the expensive thing alone in a contract

Genius goon: lol don't have thing

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We have cheap screwdrivers, so many cheap screwdrivers, we even have some good ones!

We also have all types of chisel too!

We literally have multiple workshops with tools in all of them but no, gotta use the kitchen knives to cut back that hedge or prise crap out of that crevice.

It's pathological is what it is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Poster: I have an expensive thing, I warn people it's an expensive thing and tell them to leave my expensive thing alone, even going so far as to include leaving the expensive thing alone in a contract

I was talking about the people trying to justify paying that much for a knife in general, dumbass

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Looks like hawowanlawow longs for the halcyon days of cycle chat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pookah posted:

We have cheap screwdrivers, so many cheap screwdrivers, we even have some good ones!

We literally have multiple workshops with tools in all of them but no, gotta use the kitchen knives to cut back that hedge or prise crap out of that crevice.

this is as insane as anything posted in this thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pookah posted:

:sever:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Looks like hawowanlawow longs for the halcyon days of cycle chat.

only if it's about paying five figures for bike

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

I was talking about the people trying to justify paying that much for a knife in general, dumbass
You're still wrong

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I loving HATE specified purposes for tools. If something works smoothly, I consider it a personal insult. I WILL cut this tree down with a Shun Premier.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Jars are what butter knives are for. That's why you use maybe one a week but inexplicably have like, twelve of them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Rampant consumer culture has ingrained in people the idea that anything over X value is a dumb waste of money, like "lol just buy it from walmart for $5"

Realistically, if you want things made to the quality they were made 100+ years ago, intended to last forever with heavy use, you are paying hundreds of dollars minimum.

Le Creuset cast iron cookware starts around $150 for small pieces and up to $500 for large ones. The quality and craftsmanship of them blows anything comparable out of the water. Do you need a $500 dutch oven? Mostly likely not, but if you want one, and have the means, buying the best quality in the world isn't some dumb expense.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah tools that last forever is one of the few things you can almost always justify going all out for imo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah if they had bought a ps2 in 2000 with 20 games and 4 controllers that’s a much better use of $2k. It appreciates too, not like stupid knives you can’t even stab wood with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brawnfire posted:

...none of that sounds right, indeed. Bikes slow down pretty drat fast, they're usually going a lot slower, and if you "know this" about bikes why wouldn't you leave more distance?

Braking power is overwhelmingly dependant on point of contact with the ground. Road bikes have two extremely thin tires. Reduced mass and speed helps compared to a car, but not enough to overcome the massively reduced surface friction.

This is part of why electric bikes have slightly-to-significantly wider tires.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gettin defensive because of guilt

we've all heard the ~paying for quality~ pitch a million times, last time I heard it was for $200 sweat pants

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for being upset that my fiancé got me the ring I wanted?

What a strange scenario. Is he sorry that his fiancee didn't turn up her nose at a family heirloom? From a social perspective for her to not be happy with an heirloom ring there would have to be something outright wrong with it. A truly hideous stone or made out of metal she's allergic to or something. The fact it wasn't really an heirloom doesn't matter, he said it was and she received it as such.

I hope this girl is taking a good look at what her fiance thinks of her if his expectation was for her to be nakedly, offensively materialistic. This is a really important piece of information she's discovered, she should pay attention.

I don't see how there's a good explanation- he waited two weeks and then didn't even come clean. I don't see how this intent could be anything less than either malicious or harmfully inconsiderate.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've internalized a lot of knife guilt

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just buy the 12 pack of chef knives at the big bin discount store and throw one away if it gets dull.

Big Knife Makers aren't getting my hard earned dollars just for making something that cuts better.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

I just buy the 12 pack of chef knives at the big bin discount store and throw one away if it gets dull.

Big Knife Makers aren't getting my hard earned dollars just for making something that cuts better.

perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why would I even need to buy a knife? That's what my manservant is for

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for being upset that my fiancé got me the ring I wanted?

this one is particularly good bc the pranker thought the disappointment would be that she didn't get the ring she 'chose'

but instead her disappointment is because his lie to prank her actually made her so happy (which he didn't account for), that he basically had nowhere to go except disappointing her and revealing it was a lie

also, as others have pointed out that it says something that he assumed she'd be so upset at the heirloom ring she'd react, it also says something that his idea of making something memorable involves upsetting someone for his own delight. so not only was he like, oh the best way to make her upset is to fake her out with the ring bc clearly she cares a lot about it, he had to start at the equally horrible beginning point of 'how can I upset her?' and then it leads into this 'genius' plan

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 6, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

we've all heard the ~paying for quality~ pitch a million times, last time I heard it was for $200 sweat pants

this is paying for artistic tools

a really high end chef's knife is a piece of art as much as it is a fine tool

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
AITA for embarrassing my wife(29F) at the fertility clinic because I(28M) didn't want to give my sperm to the nurse?

r/donttakemycum posted:

My wife and I have been having some issues getting pregnant and we decided that we were going to try IUI because we both really want a child. We've been going through weeks of treatments and such and this last week, we were to knock her up.

So the way this had been described to us prior is that when we're ready to inseminate, I'll shoot off a sample into a cup then we'll take it over to the doctor prep it, and then give it to the doctor and he'll inseminate my wife. I'll assume the blame for not fully understanding this. I imagined that I'd make the sample, then walk it over to my wife and the doctor, the doctor would stick it in a syringe or turkey baster or whatever, and boom my wife is pregnant. When the day actually came, this is not what happened.

So after I made my sample and came out of the room, the nurse asked for it. I was kind of confused and said that I thought I just needed to bring it to the doctor. She said she'd take care of that for me and tried to take the vial. I did not let her. I know it sounds like I'm being crazy, but I once saw this documentary of this doctor who was switching out the dad's sperm for his and was inseminating his patients with that. This became my greatest fear going into this but my wife assured me that I was being ridiculous.

A combination of this and not having a clear enough understanding of what would happen led to me arguing with the nurse. The argument took place right in front of my wife's room where she was getting ready (honestly there was no reason for a sample to leave my hand) and she could hear. She poked her head out the door to see me arguing and sternly asked me what the gently caress I was doing. I told her that the nurse was trying to take the sample. She said that I was making a scene and to just "give her the loving sperm". So I did.

I then went to my wife's room where she berated me and told me that I was acting like a jackass and embarrassing her. I told her that I was just trying to make sure that we didn't get tricked and that she didn't get pregnant with a baby that wasn't mine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

AITA for embarrassing my wife(29F) at the fertility clinic because I(28M) didn't want to give my sperm to the nurse?

lmao

give her your cum!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
But what if I get SCIENCE CUCKED?!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

:lol:
I was expecting this to be about him not wanting to deal with a female nurse, but it went in a much more entertaining direction.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i would whisper in that man's ears at night 'the child isn't yours', every night for the rest of his life, simply to give him nightmares

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah, why spend a grand for a tailored suit that will last you forever when you could spend $100 at H&M for an outfit assembled by Bangladeshi orphans working in a sweatshop with no fire escape?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

"last week, we were to knock her up."

Classy !

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

limp_cheese posted:

She should start calling that dude "the bigot".
Hey sis are you bringing the bigot on by?
Hey bigot! Good to see you.

I know this is an old post but I need to comment on how effective this is. When I was around college age we had a person in our friend group that had sexually assaulted a drunk girl at a party, he and some of the other people in the group minimized it ("They were both drunk" "He just touched her, it wasn't like it was rape" and so on). So I gave him the nickname "rapist" and every time we'd see him or he'd show up someplace i made it a point to excitedly greet him with stuff like "AYyyyyy Rapist is here! How you doin' buddy!" He got upset with people over because no one would defend him, it only took like 3 or 4 events with me doing that before he stopped coming around

Public shaming works, folks!

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2022

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

NTA; she knew what she was getting into when she married a Law & Order: SVU superfan.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Not for nothing, but didn’t a story break recently about that? The doctor swapped out sperm for his own and sired a bunch of kids with unsuspecting women.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The big differences between an expensive knife and a cheap knife are usually this:
1) How sharp it will be out of the box. This is generally the aspect that tracks least directly to price and is also probably the least important aspect.
2) How long it will stay sharp in regular use.
3) How easy it will be to sharpen it once it does become dull. This is usually the most important thing with knives and usually tracks closely to expense.

A knife that you can resharpen easily will be invaluable and, given proper use and care, can last you decades.

For comparatively cheap knives, my go to recommendation is Victorinox's Fibrox or Swiss Classic lines. They're going to be significantly cheaper than most offerings from the big box competitors like Zwilling/Henckels or Calphalon and the steel is generally a much higher quality. These would probably run you somewhere in the $40-60 range for a chef's knife. They're still not of the "you can literally use these for decades" quality but for the average consumer and at their price point they're adequate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dazerbeams posted:

Not for nothing, but didn’t a story break recently about that? The doctor swapped out sperm for his own and sired a bunch of kids with unsuspecting women.

A story like that breaks about once a decade, and this has probably destroyed everyone's intuition about how frequently it actually happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The big differences between an expensive knife and a cheap knife are usually this:
1) How sharp it will be out of the box. This is generally the aspect that tracks least directly to price and is also probably the least important aspect.
2) How long it will stay sharp in regular use.
3) How easy it will be to sharpen it once it does become dull. This is usually the most important thing with knives and usually tracks closely to expense.

A knife that you can resharpen easily will be invaluable and, given proper use and care, can last you decades.

For comparatively cheap knives, my go to recommendation is Victorinox's Fibrox or Swiss Classic lines. They're going to be significantly cheaper than most offerings from the big box competitors like Zwilling/Henckels or Calphalon and the steel is generally a much higher quality. These would probably run you somewhere in the $40-60 range for a chef's knife. They're still not of the "you can literally use these for decades" quality but for the average consumer and at their price point they're adequate.

You're talking about the difference between a $20 and a $250 knife. Above ~$400 (less for a paring knife or something else small) you're paying for the artistry or the maker. Above ~$1000 you're paying for difficult techniques, highly skilled craftsmanship, and exotic materials.

Examples:
https://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=69&cat=Artisan+Made