Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Vittorio gets upset at his situation in life, or Chini gets upset at the U.S. Army, or 'We're bringing the band back together!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days January 26, 1961
This strip came out in '61, JFK's speech on going to the moon was a year later. Seven years later humans were landing on the moon.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck8rAmMJaSc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's nice of Olive Brinker to run this story when Cronenberg has a new movie out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days January 26, 1961

I get that it's the comic's shtick but "let's celebrate more ignorant days!" is still a hell of a gimmick for a comic strip.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I get that it's the comic's shtick but "let's celebrate more ignorant days!" is still a hell of a gimmick for a comic strip.

It's not celebrating more ignorant days.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sunni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/5/02

Brenda Starr 11/18-20/48

Smokey Stover 5/2/48

Everyday Movies 3/26/35

"Oh, yes, now that you put the glasses on him I can see the resemblance to Fred."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

Bugs Are Smart Except When They Aren't

Legit horrifying.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple – Brian's Insides will finish up this week

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Marjorie featured briefly in both The Silvery Moon and Secret Sentai. She’s a game old duck and very Cornish indeed.

Breaking Cat News

Also from yesterday's comic, here are some old pictures of Roscoe and Quilt Georgia Dunn posted on her instagram:

Georgia Dunn posted:

Here are some photos of real life Quilt and Roscoe! Nana Dee Dee did indeed know how to feed a cat lol (there is another legendary family story about a time the vet put Quilt on a diet. Maybe I will get a chance to share that one another day!) I have shared these photos before, some of you may recognize these sweet big boys. I will ask Mom if there are some more photos of Quilt hanging around. I know I have some more of Roscoe. These were two good boys, through and through. 💖

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tegnehanne

L-Innsikt

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 12, 1951)

Arf gets a peg leg! Also there were pirates. Alas, these are technically unconnected. :(

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's also not true; the spacecraft will decelerate as it climbs out to the moon, so it will take longer than that. Apollo 11 had approximately that departure speed from its parking orbit, and it took them a little over three days, rather than 9.75 hours.

That said, it's also 1961, there's no Wikipedia to hammer through orbital equations on, and it's nowhere near as ludicrous as Spider-Man hiring a crop duster so he can rescue a space capsule looping out of control in the upper atmosphere.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Bugs Are Smart Except When They Aren't

I don't know why this is making me so mad, but it is.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Saying that "the answer is either correct or it isn't" is no help at all for someone that struggles with math.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

It's the uncanny valley fan insert

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Saying that "the answer is either correct or it isn't" is no help at all for someone that struggles with math.

Amen to loving that.

I remember being out the day we did the first functions. f(x) poo poo. So for pretty much the rest of my middle school, I was flunking math because I just didn't get how the gently caress the equations worked out. My teachers knew I was a straight A student, but none of them really pressed into why I was so poo poo at math, only that I "didn't get it" or when pressed, I'd say I didn't understand.

Holbrook world though, legit scary. I mean hell, Zootopia just kinda brushed it away because too much thought into those worlds is Event Horizon.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 29, 1934)

By Godfrey, They Never Forget, Do They

I posted the date for this one maybe one time, but why even bother, I ask you...

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 5, 1939)

Out Our Way (January 5-7, 1939)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alhazred posted:

See, that's correct. Which means you just refuted yourself. :pseudo:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Feel Like Rachel Might Need To Speak To A Therapist Or Something

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Maybe it would be more of a pitter patter if you raised your children correctly so they wouldn't wear their shoes inside.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hel posted:

Maybe it would be more of a pitter patter if you raised your children correctly so they wouldn't wear their shoes inside.

the one correct method of child rearing

shoe manufacturers hate it

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

The most unrealistic thing about this is that the store manager didn't call mall security or the cops and is physically assaulting what she assumes are shoplifters. Pretty much any retail store is going to have a policy against direct confrontation. Also that this has never happened before since she's apparently perfectly willing to just manhandle someone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I Feel Like Rachel Might Need To Speak To A Therapist Or Something

I feel that I'm still not entirely clear about what she does in situations that are unfamiliar to her.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Man this reminds me of my wedding planning. Thankfully my wife is on the same wavelength as me and we did a Vegas wedding. Nice though, out in the Red Rocks park.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The simple edits are often the best.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hal Foster had inhuman restraint not making a cruel joke out of the "set foot on Britain" clause.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Green Intern posted:

The most unrealistic thing about this is that the store manager didn't call mall security or the cops and is physically assaulting what she assumes are shoplifters. Pretty much any retail store is going to have a policy against direct confrontation. Also that this has never happened before since she's apparently perfectly willing to just manhandle someone.

Yeah, most mall retail's take on shoplifting is do not accuse, don't even *hint* that you think the person is stealing and definitely do not touch them EVER.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mary Worth is on like day four of "Dawn goes dancing, Jared works with an abuse victim"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blam blam, she shot me down
Blam blam, I hit the ground
Blam blam, that awful sound
Blam, blam, my baby shot me down

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "260 - Jucika And The Parade"

"261 - Jucika And The First Sunbathing"

---

I was kind of hoping Rusty's cryptid side plot would somehow tie into the current nonsense plot in a pleasing way(i.e. he discovers one of the Bros up to no good while looking for the specter) but I guess that has been brought up and totally discarded three times now??? What keeps new Trail fascinating is how aggressively Jules works to not tell a story sometimes.

I dunno about the rest of you but I've grown to hate the Phantom because we're up to the 3rd or 4th retelling of the same story but now it is from the point of view of some 3rd tier side characters??? Kill me, or better yet this story.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The story-within-a-story is now slowly recapping events from earlier in the story-within-a-story. Even though this story is only being told to the Phantom himself, who already knows in detail what happened because you told him the first time, and he doesn't need it spelled out exactly what his hypothetical future self is finding out. He already KNOWS, Mozz. And so do we. Get on with it. :bang:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Great timing, as always.

Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

How many times are we gonna watch this dude die lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Why's Hill holding one of those driving wheel toys for babies?" for a few secs before my brain interpreted it correctly.