Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

John Murdoch posted:

And then of course if you flash forward a bit you have the peak of dubbing excellence, G Gundam.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

The big one they use is Steven Universe and I have to somewhat agree with the critics. It's not that the redemption happened but the show kinda rushed it and it took until the post timeskip episodes to show they earned that redemption at all.

It was just a bit sloppily handled compared to a lot of the show's themes. The show isn't fascist apologia or anything ridiculous like that, it just suffered from some rushed storytelling near the end (possibly due to CN giving them a hard episode count to wrap it up.)

iirc they spent their Goodwill Points keeping the gay space gem marriage in and couldn't negotiate for the amount of episodes they wanted, so one way or another the conclusion was abridged from what they originally intended

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saagonsa posted:

The Kaguya dub turns the narrator from a 100% genuine hypeman for what's going on into just some lame dude doing snarky quips. It's really bad.

Not quite; The Japanese narrator's conducting events like it' s a Japanese variety show, which is why he explains everything so enthusiastically and each vignette always ends with "Today's Result: X wins/loses", so it's just as absurd but in a way that wouldn't necessarily translate 1:1 in english because the win/lose aspect could come across a bit incel-ish if you played it straight. Coming from a sleazy burnout carries the intended subtext of "the results don't legitimately mean anything" better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; The Japanese narrator's conducting events like it' s a Japanese variety show, which is why he explains everything so enthusiastically and each vignette always ends with "Today's Result: X wins/loses", so it's just as absurd but in a way that wouldn't necessarily translate 1:1 in english because the win/lose aspect could come across a bit incel-ish if you played it straight. Coming from a sleazy burnout carries the intended subtext of "the results don't legitimately mean anything" better.

Bingo.

The absurdity and punched-up narration is the point, but they localized it in a way that made more sense in English.

Both are fantastic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Big O has an amazing dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVc_K8Syy2Q

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The chapters always end with X wins/loses because each one is titled "Battle [X]: [title of chapter]." They are the winners/losers of that battle in Kaguya and Shirogane's war of love, is the joke.

The original narrator taking everything so seriously even though its all so dumb is part of the joke, and that really gets undercut when they change him to be really sarcastic all the time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

The big one they use is Steven Universe and I have to somewhat agree with the critics. It's not that the redemption happened but the show kinda rushed it and it took until the post timeskip episodes to show they earned that redemption at all.

It was just a bit sloppily handled compared to a lot of the show's themes. The show isn't fascist apologia or anything ridiculous like that, it just suffered from some rushed storytelling near the end (possibly due to CN giving them a hard episode count to wrap it up.)

CYBEReris posted:

iirc they spent their Goodwill Points keeping the gay space gem marriage in and couldn't negotiate for the amount of episodes they wanted, so one way or another the conclusion was abridged from what they originally intended

Honestly I feel like a lot of the problem (in this and any other corporate show fandom) is that fans have unrealistic ideas of what a team would be realistically capable of delivering. Somehow, fans haven't figured out that everything is determined by old rich white men who break out in hives at the thought of trying something new, so any level of diversity, or unusual storytelling, or anything deviating from "safe" entertainment is a goddamn miracle resulting from show creators fighting tooth and nail for it.

Fans could get what they wanted, if they were willing to try independent fiction, but that doesn't come with a slick package and a giant like-minded fandom. Much easier to rant at creators (or voice actors) on twitter about how terrible they are for not being able to make the perfect show.

For all the savviness the internet has allowed, it feels like media literacy and knowledge of how shows and publishing work have lagged way behind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saagonsa posted:

The chapters always end with X wins/loses because each one is titled "Battle [X]: [title of chapter]." They are the winners/losers of that battle in Kaguya and Shirogane's war of love, is the joke.

The original narrator taking everything so seriously even though its all so dumb is part of the joke, and that really gets undercut when they change him to be really sarcastic all the time.

Yup and the format of having each chapter be a battle is derived from Japanese variety show teams. That's why the narrator goes so hard as MC for each event, as he explains mundane things as the rules for the immediate contest before they commence.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Kaguya dub should have John Madden style narration/commentary instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think a straight "Japanese game host" persona would work in English because we really don't have commentary like that in our own game shows. We'd be stuck with the kind of over the top obnoxious commentary you'd see on Ultimate Ninja Warrior or Wipeout and it wouldn't work. Changing the narrator to a washed up jaded dick mocking teenagers was a good choice.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I feel that this is framing those people as all bad actors who are twirling moustaches and cackling maniacally about the control they have over others (or I suppose painting their nails smugly for a more modern and feminine image), which is probably not the case for most of them.

The whole thing boils down to the fact that people who are afraid of bad things, and haven't learned appropriate coping strategies around those fears, can and will go absolutely apeshit in their efforts to avoid such bad things, because the human brain is optimized for survival first, rationality and nuance last, and it's extra hard to think clearly when you're already freaking out about things like "there are nazis taking over my country," or "the government is actively trying to make my existence illegal," or "the planet is burning and people in power don't give a poo poo," or "there is a deadly, highly communicable disease going on and people in power don't give a poo poo," or "there are multiple instances of people shooting a lot of children and people in power don't give a poo poo" or or or...

We're in a terrifying time, especially if you're some level of minority (as many fandom people are), so it's no surprise that people lose their poo poo.

And so you've got people who are on edge constantly over the myriad bad poo poo going on in the world, but they don't see a way to do anything about that bad poo poo, but over here someone just said something that sets off some kind of fear/threat reflex, and by drat, I can do something about that threat!

Under non-social-media circumstances, this would be a minor problem, where you run into an rear end in a top hat that lost their poo poo, whatever, it's scary but it's over now. Even in the times of forum invasions, it'd just be at worst maybe three digits of people for a few days and then they find something else to do.

In social media, things are set up so that something that generates "engagement" gets shown to more and more and more people, so there's a snowball effect when people get mad, so more people see what got them mad, then those people get mad, and more people see that and get mad, and then you have a sustained, weeks long assault where hundreds of individuals, not related to one another or working together at all, descend en masse to attack a perceived threat, each one acting when they see it, which could be the minute it was made, or even years later if they happen to fall victim to an actual bad actor trying to drum up an army.

And then, because twitter is the worst, the all-seeing algorithm goes, "Holy poo poo, you interacted a lot with that one thing! You must want a steady stream of it!"

https://twitter.com/Tercicatrix/status/1376210092492791809

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

On a slight tangent, is that why there was that trend of schoolkids loudly and proudly trashing bathrooms and posting it on tiktok was such a big thing this past year?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

This poo poo drives me nuts. It is entirely ok to say, "this character sucks and I love them," and not further justifying anything

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Framboise posted:

On a slight tangent, is that why there was that trend of schoolkids loudly and proudly trashing bathrooms and posting it on tiktok was such a big thing this past year?

You are thinking of the Devious Lick and subsequent Angelic Yield and no, there wasn't much thought put into it other than mere mischief and response to mischief, respectably.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

Honestly I feel like a lot of the problem (in this and any other corporate show fandom) is that fans have unrealistic ideas of what a team would be realistically capable of delivering. Somehow, fans haven't figured out that everything is determined by old rich white men who break out in hives at the thought of trying something new, so any level of diversity, or unusual storytelling, or anything deviating from "safe" entertainment is a goddamn miracle resulting from show creators fighting tooth and nail for it.

There's a through line here, I think, with how Korra (and even The Last Airbender before it to a lesser degree), Steven Universe, and even She-Ra and the Princesses of Power all have conclusions that end up feeling hasty and awkward. I remember there was this old interview with ND Stevenson where he said he was either on the verge of or had a full-on breakdown by the end of She-Ra with constant executive pressure. Like, it sucks that they couldn't even acknowledge Spinnerella and Netossa were married until the last season, and Netossa had more speaking lines in the one episode that season she featured in than the rest of the series combined. That and not actually being able to have Adora and Catra until right near the end all smacks of some fuckheads in power refusing to try anything better until the series was ending and the creative staff on the show didn't care about the repercussions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Framboise posted:

To a certain extent, TikTok vandalism and assault trends were literally part of a Facebook hiring a right-wing consulting firm to promote and highlight dangerous activity on the platform:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/

It's wild.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Arist posted:

To a certain extent, TikTok vandalism and assault trends were literally part of a Facebook hiring a right-wing consulting firm to promote and highlight dangerous activity on the platform:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/

It's wild.

Oh wow. Oh wow. I thought that TikTok and Facebook were in a race for the worst place, but with Facebook trying to make TikTok worse in order to make themselves look better just solidifies their place. Why is Zuckerberg still alive? He sucks so much and is weird.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's a through line here, I think, with how Korra (and even The Last Airbender before it to a lesser degree), Steven Universe, and even She-Ra and the Princesses of Power all have conclusions that end up feeling hasty and awkward. I remember there was this old interview with ND Stevenson where he said he was either on the verge of or had a full-on breakdown by the end of She-Ra with constant executive pressure. Like, it sucks that they couldn't even acknowledge Spinnerella and Netossa were married until the last season, and Netossa had more speaking lines in the one episode that season she featured in than the rest of the series combined. That and not actually being able to have Adora and Catra until right near the end all smacks of some fuckheads in power refusing to try anything better until the series was ending and the creative staff on the show didn't care about the repercussions.

Huh interesting. I thought She-Ra handled its ending pretty well all things considered.

Voltron on the other hand, man when you go back over it that was a real mess.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Literally how do you gently caress up a series about robots that turn into a bigger robot to fight stuff god I'm still mad about how much time I put into watching it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s almost important to note that redeeming oneself is a lengthy process that you probably won’t have sufficient seasons to cover in a kid’s show. So stuff like that will always come off as rushed or crimes easily forgiven because they’re not getting another season for the former villainess to prove she’s changed and rebuilding trust with the protagonist love interest, all while being (rightly) shunned by the greater community for enabling war crimes.

And maybe that sends across a really bad message to kids that redemption is easy if you feel really bad about it and offer to help with stuff. Because regardless of intent these more idealistic shows, with a message that everyone can be made to see see the light if you try hard enough, are still going to send that reading to children regardless of how badly the studio forced them to hack up their story after losing season 4 because two boys kissed one episode.

So I dunno.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

Huh interesting. I thought She-Ra handled its ending pretty well all things considered.

She-Ra landed alright. There were some things teased they didn’t get to address and some plots that read like they were hoping to have another season or two to play through them better. That last season did end up being pretty darn queer so maybe that was why got a better pass. Or maybe justifying the fascist dictator redemption arc by revealing he was a brainwashed clone of a worser fascist dictator who didn’t get redeemed helped more people distance themselves from that in a way that was harder with SU? Kipo was allowed a lot more leeway afterwards and it makes me wonder if a lot of the trouble came from Mattel rather than Dreamworks animation.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Danaru posted:

Literally how do you gently caress up a series about robots that turn into a bigger robot to fight stuff god I'm still mad about how much time I put into watching it

I think the downfall started when they Killed off the main villain halfway through the show's run and just sort of forgot to replace him with an equally significant or interesting threat?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

KingKalamari posted:

I think the downfall started when they Killed off the main villain halfway through the show's run and just sort of forgot to replace him with an equally significant or interesting threat?

That depends on which villain you are talking about.
Theoretically the way they handled the way the story escalated could work. But it feels like they spent less and less time on each arc (or way too much in case of the 7th season), until the final season just failed to deliver on anything.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

DeafNote posted:

That depends on which villain you are talking about.
Theoretically the way they handled the way the story escalated could work. But it feels like they spent less and less time on each arc (or way too much in case of the 7th season), until the final season just failed to deliver on anything.

Whoops, I got my seasons confused because of the shrimpy half-length seasons the show has. I was actually talking about when Lotor killed off Zarkon at the start of season 5. While the show definitely could have made that work as a permanent decision, They never really gave us a suitable replacement for Zarkon - Hagar could have been interesting but lacked the direct personal rivalry with any of the Paladins that Zarkon had with Shiro, Lotar could have also stepped up but they instead decided to just kind of shove him to the sidelines for a while before hastily declaring "Uh, actually he's still super evil I guess" and get rid of him..

It's actually part of a weird trend I noticed around that time of kids shows killing off their big bad midway through their run and then just failing to fill the void with anything interesting. The other big example that comes to mind is Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, which killed off original big bad Toffee at the start of the third season and then just sort of failed to adequately raise the stakes with the villains that followed. It was especially egregious in the last season of that show where the major villain that was hyped up as being this unstoppable force of destruction had been shown effortlessly dispatched the previous season by the then-current Big Bad.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I watched this video about what went wrong with Voltron a while ago and I remember it made some good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiFiVFxR_Q8

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 6, 2022

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

That and not actually being able to have Adora and Catra until right near the end all smacks of some fuckheads in power refusing to try anything better until the series was ending and the creative staff on the show didn't care about the repercussions.

I recall reading the showrunner talking about Adora and Catra and how they just kept it a secret from the suits in charge and seeded the entire show with a path to it, then used the narrative path to kind of cajole them into "See it makes sense! It's not just being woke it's part of the story!" Presumably with a lot of other pressure somehow.

Honestly, allowing stories to be controlled by bean counters and marketers is absolute poison to creativity. At least if it's, like, someone commissioning something you still get whatever interestingly weird poo poo they want to throw in. Execs hate creativity and want to file off every corner until everything is a bland gray rounded box with Funko Pop eyes.

ETA

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s almost important to note that redeeming oneself is a lengthy process that you probably won’t have sufficient seasons to cover in a kid’s show. So stuff like that will always come off as rushed or crimes easily forgiven because they’re not getting another season for the former villainess to prove she’s changed and rebuilding trust with the protagonist love interest, all while being (rightly) shunned by the greater community for enabling war crimes.

And maybe that sends across a really bad message to kids that redemption is easy if you feel really bad about it and offer to help with stuff. Because regardless of intent these more idealistic shows, with a message that everyone can be made to see see the light if you try hard enough, are still going to send that reading to children regardless of how badly the studio forced them to hack up their story after losing season 4 because two boys kissed one episode.

So I dunno.

I think the main issue is that there's not much mainstream media offering a more nuanced redemption narrative for older people. Like, yeah, a kids show isn't going to show all the details of anything because you are writing for children and they don't know what the gently caress, their brains literally are just starting to figure out, "Huh, so someone can have good traits... and bad traits? And the bad traits don't make them all bad? Holy poo poo how the hell does that even work?"

Unfortunately, the demographics that should be getting the more advanced concepts around redemption are being sold "Shoot the Bad Guy now the problem is over," "Bad Guy dies a hero now the problem is over," and/or "You can Change Him with your love and then the problem is over" because those sell better and are easier to write successfully.

And, looping back around to the broken bathrooms deal, it's hard to do something like that if you're independent because then you risk a swarm of twitter assholes screaming that you're saying it's OK for people to do The Bad Thing because you don't want them all to be tortured to death or something.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 6, 2022

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Little Kuriboh just uploaded a new Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. While the humour of his abridged series has relatively remained the same, it still gets some chuckles out of me, and I'm just glad he's committed to finishing it. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyytN5xAFo4

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That we both live in a renaissance for gay representation in cartoons and yet executives still fight tooth and nail to nuke away any attempts at said reputation with creatives having to engage in functional espionage to get it through is nothing short of depressing.

Like no matter how many excuses they throw out, it's 100% no coincidence that Owl House had its final season snipped down to a trio of specials after the show started including more than a few queer characters and relationships between such.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s entirely because of money. Can’t sell it to a market where being gay is largely shunned if not illegal, and while I heard Disney did ship censored episodes of Owl House to those markets, I have to imagine that’s a lot of editing.

That’s why Disney has had a love affair with background queer cameos as of late. It’s easy to slip in a gay kiss between extras or a minor piece of throwaway gay dialogue, then edit it out in post for other regions.

But this doesn’t work if they have an on-screen partner or are visibly trans/gender-nonconforming. Can’t risk other markets!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
All you have to do is dub over them and say they're actually cousins. Baddabing! Easy solve.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
You know how hidden Mickeys are a thing, animators should start doing hidden Winnie the Poohs

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I am extremely skeptical that China is anywhere never as homophobic as big companies in America tend to claim.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I am extremely skeptical that China is anywhere never as homophobic as big companies in America tend to claim.

Nor as scared of skeletons as people like to meme about.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Chinese Chuds exist too, and they're loud and hate the same things. There's genuinely a "lovely online person" and they're all the same rear end in a top hat in the same ways.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah, China's level of actual homophobia is irrelevant, the big companies are just using it as cover to hide their own.

Hel fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 6, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the whole skeletons thing was chinese censors deliberately leaning in to orientalist western stereotypes so they had an easy way to gently caress with foreign media and demand the more banal ideological cuts they actually wanted

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

China's state broadcast administration introduced a rule in 2015 against works depicting "unnormal sexual relationships" that is frequently used to ban the broadcast of media depicting LGBTQ topics. Also keep in mind that the edits made for the international market aren't just done to please China, but other countries with anti-LGBTQ legislature like Russia, Saudi Arabia, Hungary, Indonisia and several nations in North Africa and the Middle East.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc the whole skeletons thing was chinese censors deliberately leaning in to orientalist western stereotypes so they had an easy way to gently caress with foreign media and demand the more banal ideological cuts they actually wanted
It was a case of just deliberate abuse of petty power. Same as when American censors make someone change the color of blood to avoid an X rating.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb:

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1533902069953748992?t=zZRs2DleSXKLJS7KVIC6Fg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Genthil posted:

I haven't played WoW in like three years but in the latest expansion didn't Garrosh show up in one cutscene only to get permanently erased from existence?

A little more than that. He appears in a promo movie being tortured in a purgatory afterlife, and then appears as the centerpiece of a boss fight in the fortress at the center of Insescapable Turbo Hell. You fight the guy torturing him while dodging Garrosh’s outbursts of rage energy. When you beat the boss, Garrosh jumps down, declares he regrets nothing, and launches an attack on the boss that reduces them both to a pile of ash.

Shadowlands added not only another big evil being who manipulated previous ultimate evils from the shadows and is responsible for all the woes of the universe, it also added another, even more mysterious creator race who set the universe in motion before the Titans.