Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In the 4th Stimpire

E: drat bad way to start a new page.

So I saw an article on A.V. Club that I can’t link now but apparently Paramount Plus is going to start showing classic Beavis and Butthead with the videos intact? I mean I’m still skeptical but that’s what they’re promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

In the 4th Stimpire

E: drat bad way to start a new page.

So I saw an article on A.V. Club that I can’t link now but apparently Paramount Plus is going to start showing classic Beavis and Butthead with the videos intact? I mean I’m still skeptical but that’s what they’re promising.

maybe the music industry has finally realized that nothing matters and that it's really dumb to hold back all these shows because of music rights issues when all it can do is help drive up their spotify clicks

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought they cleared most of the videos for a recent-ish home media release?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

I thought they cleared most of the videos for a recent-ish home media release?

most but not all

they're claiming to be showing them all now

the recent-ish release didn't have some of the best ones like ethyl meatplow "devil's johnson"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3sY8IP8yVs

that was the first band i ever saw live btw, opening for front 242. man what a wild show

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Upsidads posted:

Got excited when stranger things season four spent two episodes moving at a good clip to have it poo poo the bed and just turn on the emergency break and pad the gently caress out of the rest.
It's the same poo poo as the last seasons but slower
It has very jarring edits for a action sequence they try and make look like one take but it for the lack of a better term looks like it has "frame drops" when it zooms in on some cg elements.

Just finished ep 3
I was ready to be interested in the show being without superpowers for once, and seeing El deal with trauma, and what happens when someone who has dealt with her problems exclusively with special powers and great violence suddenly has to face consequences for it... then Paul Reiser lols up a massive exposition dump and says, "Yeah don't worry about almost killing your bully, I'm going to get your powers back so you can save the world again."

I mean, maybe the show goes another way anyhow, but ugh.

One other thing. Did the show always make small things extremely loud? Like unlocking a door should not include a massive bass drop, and a microfiche reader should not sound like a passing train.

Liked most of what I've seen up to now, though. It's juggling a handful of plotlines and it's working for me.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 6, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It was working for me until the padding just hit and the two main plots just draaggggggg

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Upsidads posted:

It was working for me until the padding just hit and the two main plots just draaggggggg

Maybe it's where I'm at mentally, or maybe I haven't reached the saturation point yet, but letting a noisy fantasy world wash over me for 10 hours isn't the worst thing in the world right now. So let 'er drag for now, I guess :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Edit: looks like RRR was already mention but holy poo poo it was a blast

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 6, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Been steadily moving through Gamorra, which makes the Sopranos look like a frolic through the flowers by comparison. Def worth a watch if you can stomach an unflinching portrayal of mafia culture in the slums of Naples.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Been steadily moving through Gamorra, which makes the Sopranos look like a frolic through the flowers by comparison. Def worth a watch if you can stomach an unflinching portrayal of mafia culture in the slums of Naples.

I hated pretty much every character in Sopranos save the kids and that one woman.

Who got whacked in her gabagool.

I prefer ZeroZeroZero for my Italy fix.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

doctorfrog posted:

Just finished ep 3
I was ready to be interested in the show being without superpowers for once, and seeing El deal with trauma, and what happens when someone who has dealt with her problems exclusively with special powers and great violence suddenly has to face consequences for it... then Paul Reiser lols up a massive exposition dump and says, "Yeah don't worry about almost killing your bully, I'm going to get your powers back so you can save the world again."

I mean, maybe the show goes another way anyhow, but ugh.

One other thing. Did the show always make small things extremely loud? Like unlocking a door should not include a massive bass drop, and a microfiche reader should not sound like a passing train.

Liked most of what I've seen up to now, though. It's juggling a handful of plotlines and it's working for me.

EP 4 is when it really starts to come together, you're going to wish you waited until that one to write down your reactions.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Glottis posted:

EP 4 is when it really starts to come together, you're going to wish you waited until that one to write down your reactions.

Will be happy to eat my words, I like being wrong sometimes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Wait, the first 4 episodes of Stranger Things S4 are the ones WITHOUT unnecessary padding? Oof, I am not going to like the rest of this season, then...

I think the biggest issue is that they saddled themselves with some boring characters that they have no idea what to do with (Nancy, Jonathan, Mike) so every time they cut from fun times with Dustin and Steve to the whiny charisma-vacuum that is Finn Wolfhard, I immediately tune out.

Sure, Hopper is in a Russian prison, but let's spend more time on how Nancy is gonna get that HOT SCOOP for the loving HIGH SCHOOL NEWSPAPER.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I just don't like the format of jumping to each character for five minutes of story progression per episode. I'd rather they shove all the Russia stuff into one boring episode, all the Eleven stuff in another boring episode, and then have the rest of the show focusing on the interesting Hawkins stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I hated pretty much every character in Sopranos save the kids and that one woman.

Who got whacked in her gabagool.

I prefer ZeroZeroZero for my Italy fix.

Gamorrah is very comparable to ZeroZeroZero, so much so that I almost mentioned it in my post but didn't think many people have seen it. They are both extremely bleak, but I like that about both shows.

(I'm also a huge Sopranos fan too, but it's practically a different genre despite the purported subject matter)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Gamorrah is very comparable to ZeroZeroZero, so much so that I almost mentioned it in my post but didn't think many people have seen it. They are both extremely bleak, but I like that about both shows.

(I'm also a huge Sopranos fan too, but it's practically a different genre despite the purported subject matter)

Well they are the same showrunner so that’s probably why haha

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gomorrah is extremely legit, I’ll have to check out ZeroZeroZero

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I like the therapist angle but hate every aspect of it.

T is such a piece of poo poo, and I understand where he's coming from and I hate it. His arc is tragic and passionate and die in a dumpster. Thankfully the show runner was like yeah he got capped.

Thoughts and prayers for the NJPD, biggest gang. Rhode Island mafia 4 lyfe.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

Well they are the same showrunner so that’s probably why haha

drat, I was 100% unaware but holy poo poo does that make sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
15 minutes in to Pachinko, I love it.

Apple TV+ is killing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

15 minutes in to Pachinko, I love it.

Apple TV+ is killing it.

make sure you check out Todd Haynes' excellent Velvet Underground documentary. great interviews and some old demos i've never heard, like the original "Venus in Furs" which sounded like "Are You Going to Scarborough Fair?" lmao

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bananaquiter posted:

I just don't like the format of jumping to each character for five minutes of story progression per episode. I'd rather they shove all the Russia stuff into one boring episode, all the Eleven stuff in another boring episode, and then have the rest of the show focusing on the interesting Hawkins stuff.

yeppers

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Whoa, look like the Northman is already on peacock, which I get for free with comcast. The vvitch is one of my favorite movies, so I’d wanna check out what the director does, but is it any good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Whoa, look like the Northman is already on peacock, which I get for free with comcast. The vvitch is one of my favorite movies, so I’d wanna check out what the director does, but is it any good.

Yeah, I saw it in the theater and I liked it.

Fun fact, there were a couple of nude scenes where the actors wore thongs, so they cg'd in glimpses of balls.

It's sad that it didn't do better at the box office, the director considers it a failure and has said he will have to reconsider his future strategy. But I also never considered him a mainstream director, and he should focus on doing his auteur thing.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Northman owns.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's the best successor to Gladiator ever made

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Class Warcraft posted:

Northman owns.

There's a scene where a bunch of sweaty jacked bros scream at each other around a fire getting all amped up to to do berserker poo poo.

The movie is Gladiator, just Norse.

That's the movie. If that sounds good you'll like it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Class Warcraft posted:

Northman owns.

Counterpoint - there's very little in Northman that Conan the Barbarian didn't do better 40 years ago and it's easily the least interesting of Eggers' movies.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Memnaelar posted:

Counterpoint - there's very little in Northman that Conan the Barbarian didn't do better 40 years ago and it's easily the least interesting of Eggers' movies.

Making two similar movies in 40 years in a world where the same superhero film has been released over 20 times in the last decade seems like an asinine criticism lol

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Wolfsheim posted:

Making two similar movies in 40 years in a world where the same superhero film has been released over 20 times in the last decade seems like an asinine criticism lol

Wolfsheim's a nice band but that response is fairly weak. You're right. Northman has as much right to exist as Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World. You got me.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Same author as well.

Gamorrah is a bit strange in that it comes from a bit of investigative reporting that is relentlessly bleak (the author didn't see any way for Naples to fix itself) that was made into a lightly fictionalised film, also bleak. Then a gangster series, that you could accuse of glamourizing that which the previous installments have condemned but everyone ends up badly and miserable.

Romano Criminale is also good. I bounced off Suburra but might return to it - too many whiny teen actors interrupting an interesting plot about corruption in the Vatican.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tried that Interceptor movie that Netflix threw at me and... bleh. The actual action is generally competently done, but in a lot of ways it feels like babbies' first action movie. There are no fewer than three separate dramatic countdowns that are stopped just in the nick of time, and a whole host of dramatic one-liners that just don't land. It tries to go for a feminist theme with the protagonist struggling against the deeply ingrained sexist culture in the armed forces, but that ends up feeling a little limp as in the end the moral seems to boil down to "just buckle down and Do Your Job in spite of everything they throw at you and eventually people will recognize your worth (if and when you literally prevent a genocide)".

Oh, it also does the thing where the villain is 100% correct about everything in his motivations, but he also inexplicably wants to do a genocide so the audience can safely disregard what he says.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I saw I had a Target Circle offer for 4 months of Apple TV+ and redeemed that, but also had a 3 month offer in my iPhone Apple TV app, and redeeming both stacked the duration lmao. I now have 7 months of free Apple TV+. What should I watch first?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 7, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Severance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

teagone posted:

I saw I had a Target Circle offer for 4 months of Apple TV+ and redeemed that, but also had a 3 month offer in my iPhone Apple TV app, and redeeming both stacked the duration lmao. I now have 7 months of free Apple TV+. What should I watch first?

Severance

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

teagone posted:

For All Mankind season 3 starts this week

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teagone posted:

Severance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Severance owns
For All Mankind very much owns, i just finished S2
The Velvet Underground documentary owns

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Prehistoric Planet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

teagone posted:

I would hold off on severance. It has a vicious cliffhanger so you'd want to watch it as close as possible to the next season. Watch Pachinko and For All Mankind. Even the dumb CGI dinosaur show is pretty fun.