Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Down already.

Disney: "stop being excited about our movie!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Will be this movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s harder to find now bc a bunch of white ugly men are mad at it for obvious reasons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm hopeful Prey is good or at least better than The Predator. I'm really looking forward to it.

Is that Alien tv series still happening? Did production ever even begin?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s starting soon I think. But yeah. Alien show and Alien movie are both in the works now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i wish the predator and the native americans were friends

I want to see them play in a 2 on 2 basketball tournament

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I want to see them play in a 2 on 2 basketball tournament

What about a dance-off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOw47NC_sxI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s starting soon I think. But yeah. Alien show and Alien movie are both in the works now.

Oh poo poo I didn't know a new movie was happening too! Cautiously optimistic about that.

I read a few issues of the recent-ish Marvel comics where the guy is having nightmares about an alien queen with boobs and hips and it wasn't very good, hopefully that's not where they're going lol

Wait this is actually going to be an R rated Alien movie and not like a Aliens are found on some planet by Starlord and Rocket or whatever right? :tinfoil:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This will always be canon to me and is the traditional hunting culture of the Predators that you defeat one of them in single combat they show ultimate respect to your kind by doing a victory dance based on one of your planet's songs instead of theirs. This happens right before they hand him the gun and fly off.

I have this movie on a list of movies we stream to friends that are good people but somehow missed out on all the rad 70s/80s/90s movies, I might actually edit this into the file to make an ultimate cut of Predator 2 since the dance footage being in the actual movie would make it a 10/10 instead of a 9/10.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

Wait this is actually going to be an R rated Alien movie and not like a Aliens are found on some planet by Starlord and Rocket or whatever right? :tinfoil:

It’s being directed by Fede Alvarez of don’t breathe and the evil dead remake fame. Ridley is producing it and liked his idea for it. I think it’s going straight to Hulu so I’m sure it’ll be R.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want the now standard "cinematic universe post credits tie in teaser" but it's not Predator it's something completely out of left field like Moontrap or something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

It’s being directed by Fede Alvarez of don’t breathe and the evil dead remake fame. Ridley is producing it and liked his idea for it. I think it’s going straight to Hulu so I’m sure it’ll be R.

Oh how the mighty have fallen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney sucks

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Splicer posted:

I want the now standard "cinematic universe post credits tie in teaser" but it's not Predator it's something completely out of left field like Moontrap or something.

David is flying through deep space, experimenting away and collides into a ship called Event Horizon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

brocked posted:

David is flying through deep space, experimenting away and collides into a ship called Event Horizon Dark Star

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

brocked posted:

David is flying through deep space, experimenting away and collides into a ship called Lexx

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hyperdyne Systems attempting to re-establish the failed colony on Sirius 6B

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Hyperdyne Systems attempting to re-establish the failed colony on Sirius 6B
Aliens vs. Predator vs. Terminator vs. Robocop

:rock:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Aliens vs. Predator vs. Terminator vs. Robocop

:rock:
Nonono see that's what everyone would be expecting. You see a teaser at the end with a terminator claw and you're like, well, of course, but I want an after credits in-universe promo spot for The Running Man special season 200 Xenostravaganza.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

brocked posted:

David is flying through deep space, experimenting away and collides into a ship called Serenity

You can’t take my creation from me

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Nonono see that's what everyone would be expecting. You see a teaser at the end with a terminator claw and you're like, well, of course, but I want an after credits in-universe promo spot for The Running Man special season 200 Xenostravaganza.

:hmmyes:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You can’t take my creation from me

On the one hand Adam Baldwin getting a nice paycheck would suck but on the other hand a movie about David and whatever the gently caress he's made this time brutally ripping Adam Baldwin apart would own.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

david_a posted:

Oh how the mighty have fallen

Lol who gives a poo poo about theaters’ “respectability” in a Covid world

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I do :colbert: I like seeing movies on the big screen with a huge surround sound system munching on a big honking bucket of delicious popcorn while surrounded by people who really get into the movie

Top Gun Maverick would have been nowhere near as engaging if I was relegated to watching it on, like, Hulu or some poo poo

I mean I’m going to take what I can get with Alien and Predator movies being on Hulu, but there’s something to be said for something being a theatrical “event”. When the entire multi-decade run of two franchises have been cinematic experiences and suddenly they get relegated to what feels like direct-to-TV, it loses something

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 7, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know a new movie was happening too! Cautiously optimistic about that.

Why would you do this to yourself

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The full trailer for Prey was p compelling. Might still be a poo poo movie, but its a decidedly more interesting premise than "more muscled gun guys get chewed up by the predator".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MrMojok posted:

Predator 1987 is like, the perfect riff on the action movies we saw in the early to mid 80s.

Dutch and his team are near-cartoon level actionmen, I mean it’s the gear, the wisecracks, their physical builds. And when they attack the guerrilla camp they lay a primo action-movie rear end-whipping on them, with all the classic types of poses and shots you’d expect.

Then things begin to change in the film, as they realize they are being hunted by something that’s a lot better at it than they are. The tables are totally turned, and as they get picked off one by one the actionmen are reduced to scared children. Kind of subverts the whole first half of the film.

I love it.

This is why I love the film, the beginning is just satire of what was so popular in the 80s (I also love Last Action Hero for this reason) and the back half is just a horror film. It's a great mix and wonderful commentary. My favorite part of the film is the middle section when the two genres are blurring and you start realizing that bullshit is afoot.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The full trailer for Prey was p compelling. Might still be a poo poo movie, but its a decidedly more interesting premise than "more muscled gun guys get chewed up by the predator".

The trailer just looks like the last 20 minutes of Predator, as a whole film and I'm worried it's going to just be the same bullshit of people getting torn up by Predator the whole film. I'm curious what they're going to do to change up the formula with this one, if at all. I just saw that the director did 10 Cloverfield Lane and I really enjoyed that so I'm strangely optimistic now.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

sigher posted:

I'm worried it's going to just be the same bullshit of people getting torn up by Predator the whole film.

:nallears:

What else do you want in a Predator movie lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Realizing that Prometheus came out 10 years ago today is strange because it feels like it hasn't been that long and also somehow feels like it's been 100 years.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Yeah it feels like only a year ago I saw Alien Covenant in theaters, but it’s really been 5 years. drat, time flies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

Even the look of the Predator seems different.

TRACHTENBERG: For the look of the creature, I really wanted to get out of the bodybuilder/wrestler thing. The first thing to go was the mesh netting that he, or it, has worn previously. I wanted to have this thing feel much more creature-like and way more visceral.

No mesh net? loving trash movie. Interest plummeted. Will not watch.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It hit me that Ridley Scott is 84 years old. He could just, like, drop dead for no reason at any moment. The guy's had a rich fulfilling life (I hope) but the thought still makes me a bit sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It hit me that Ridley Scott is 84 years old. He could just, like, drop dead for no reason at any moment. The guy's had a rich fulfilling life (I hope) but the thought still makes me a bit sad.

We've been pretty lucky as it is that he has even wanted to continue working this long. A lot of directors go into at least a semi-retirement by age 70, let alone 80. Not that every single one of his recent films has been great but he did just make one of my favorites of last year, The Last Duel. So he's clearly still got it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He’s 4 years younger than my grandma. :corsair:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MLSM posted:

:nallears:

What else do you want in a Predator movie lol

Give me a Predator film after Alien: Covenant with David traveling to the Predator homeworld and experimenting on them making really hosed up Predators that just go around killing all of the Predator race. I want David vs Predator. Go for loving broke. Predator hunting people with the same boring gadgets we've seen for 6 films or whatever stopped being fun or interesting after the first film, I want absurdity.

Basebf555 posted:

Not that every single one of his recent films has been great but he did just make one of my favorites of last year, The Last Duel.

Gonna have to check this out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm apparently in the minority but I'm not feeling that trailer for Prey at all and don't get the optimism.

I like the idea of a time shift and a period piece but most of what I saw looked pretty hokey.

I always thought that a more primitive setting like they're going for here would have worked really well for the Terminator series and think it CAN work with Predator but, man, that was a lot of cheese I smelled in that trailer.

Sending Arnold back to the old west, WW2 or something similar seemed like the logical extension of going further back into time to further prevent the future, which was at the heart of the loving franchise and the central element of the whole god damned story, but then they just did...whatever that was they did.

And I'm afraid that Prey is going to lean too hard into a lot of tropes, stereotypes and goofy poo poo - but not in a good way. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think if we're doing a period piece, that I'd rather see Perdator hunting a bunch of rich African safari big game trophy hunters and make them the hunted so that I can root for the alien.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
predator has always been hokey

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sigher posted:

Give me a Predator film after Alien: Covenant with David traveling to the Predator homeworld and experimenting on them making really hosed up Predators that just go around killing all of the Predator race. I want David vs Predator. Go for loving broke. Predator hunting people with the same boring gadgets we've seen for 6 films or whatever stopped being fun or interesting after the first film, I want absurdity.

Gonna have to check this out.
Give me a Predator film after Covenant where David gets robot diarrhea and shits himself to death like the wet fart of a character he is.

e: then the Predators from P2 come by and go "Wow he's even lamer than the guy who got killed in New York" and then David's pants fall down and they all laugh at him even harder.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm apparently in the minority but I'm not feeling that trailer for Prey at all and don't get the optimism.

I like the idea of a time shift and a period piece but most of what I saw looked pretty hokey.

I always thought that a more primitive setting like they're going for here would have worked really well for the Terminator series and think it CAN work with Predator but, man, that was a lot of cheese I smelled in that trailer.

Sending Arnold back to the old west, WW2 or something similar seemed like the logical extension of going further back into time to further prevent the future, which was at the heart of the loving franchise and the central element of the whole god damned story, but then they just did...whatever that was they did.

And I'm afraid that Prey is going to lean too hard into a lot of tropes, stereotypes and goofy poo poo - but not in a good way. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think if we're doing a period piece, that I'd rather see Perdator hunting a bunch of rich African safari big game trophy hunters and make them the hunted so that I can root for the alien.

It's the clean digital cinematography, the noticeable CGI, and the modern accents in English. I don't think it looks bad at all in an objective sense, but it doesn't have enough verisimilitude for us to take it as seriously as the trailer seems to want us to. It's probably not fair to expect a direct-to-Hulu franchise sequel to go full-on Passion of the Christ, but that's more or less what you'd have to do if you want to really do justice to the concept they went with.