Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Here i was, all ready to jump into the Ubiquiti ecosystem so I can have a reliable network throughout my house/backyard office. All I wanted was an ethernet connection throughout so I could have wired desktop PCs and NAS, with most other devices connecting over wifi.

The goal being, a single named wireless network (at the moment the random routers I use as access points have different names so your connection drops in and out as you walk through the house on a laptop) and being able to watch high bitrate Plex content on my two TVs via my NAS.

Usually you could do what you’re hoping to do even with a bunch of mismatched wireless routers if you know what you’re doing. A short version that ignores some of the finer points:

-Set SSIDs to be the same but on different (non-overlapping) channels.
-Disable DHCP servers on all routers aside from your “main” router, and disable routing (if disabling routing isn’t an option, then do not use the WAN port on the other wireless routers).
-Make sure all routers and devices are plugged into the LAN ports on your main router.

Your devices should figure out which wireless router gives the best signal and roam as needed without dropping internet.

I mean, I have a big fancy UniFi setup at home to do this too, but I hate money. UniFi just gives you a sleek interface to make a bunch of APs work together, functionally you could likely make what you have work.

smax fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

-Make sure all routers and devices are plugged into the LAN ports on your main router.

Thanks for your help.

I think this is the sticking point for a temporary solution. If I'm using three routers throughout the house as access points (including the "main" router). It's not going to be possible to plug the two secondary routers directly into the LAN port on the "main" router. At the moment I have a main router plugged into the wall socket, then cables running inside my walls/roof to the other two spots.

Different, but somewhat related question. Can I have my main router be the last point in the chain and other routers/switches/access points earlier on in the chain?

To expand on my setup above, I have:
Internet antenna on roof -> wall port in living room -> main router plugging into wall port -> cables from back of wall port through roof to lounge room -> secondary router acting as access point -> cables continuing through roof out to my backyard office that terminates at a wall port -> another secondary router in the office acting as a switch/access point in the office.

I would like my eventual setup to basically be in reverse with the main router starting in the office and the other two devices just being access points (with the addition of a switch in the loungeroom for LAN connections). Is that possible?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 3, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, whatever is taking the actual Internet connection handoff directly from your ISP will generally need to be capable of doing NAT - which means a router or a firewall, generally. An unmanaged switch won't give you the desired results, as the ISP only provides one global IP address at a time in residential setups and NAT is used to translate between this 'outside' address and all of the private 'inside' (usually 192.168.x.y) addresses on your devices. If you plug in a switch to the modem with a bunch of other stuff that pulls IP addresses from DHCP, whatever pulls the one public address will use it directly and nothing else is likely to work at the same time.

Your ISP might have provided a 'modem' which is actually a combo unit and also capable of routing, in which case you could set it up to do NAT. If it's actually just a modem, it won't. One of your secondary routers might also be able to serve in this role - you'd just hook the modem to its WAN port instead of your primary router's, set up NAT on that device instead of on the primary, and change over DHCP as well if you want to. It's fine to have a different device be DHCP server if you want, but it's another point of failure for anything that needs dynamic addressing.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 3, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Looten Plunder posted:

Thanks for your help.

I think this is the sticking point for a temporary solution. If I'm using three routers throughout the house as access points (including the "main" router). It's not going to be possible to plug the two secondary routers directly into the LAN port on the "main" router. At the moment I have a main router plugged into the wall socket, then cables running inside my walls/roof to the other two spots.

Different, but somewhat related question. Can I have my main router be the last point in the chain and other routers/switches/access points earlier on in the chain?

To expand on my setup above, I have:
Internet antenna on roof -> wall port in living room -> main router plugging into wall port -> cables from back of wall port through roof to lounge room -> secondary router acting as access point -> cables continuing through roof out to my backyard office that terminates at a wall port -> another secondary router in the office acting as a switch/access point in the office.

I would like my eventual setup to basically be in reverse with the main router starting in the office and the other two devices just being access points (with the addition of a switch in the loungeroom for LAN connections). Is that possible?

Your router is the gateway out to the internet, so everything has to go through it before getting kicked out to the internet. So no, it's not possible (unless you do some needlessly complicated rewiring that honestly isn't worth it), your router needs to be the first thing plugged into the antenna. At that point it'll be easier just to call your ISP and see if they can just move the antenna.

It's a bit easier to understand if you just think about your non-main routers as just glorified access points. Routers do some very specific jobs and being the gateway between your home network is arguably the most important one. It's just not possible to control everything going in and out unless you're the first hop.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 3, 2022

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I don't really know where to share this but I just have to get it off my chest. Have a story about me being a home network hardware idiot.

So a few months ago I decided to go ahead and PiHole my network. Have Pi, will PiHole. I don't really gently caress with networks, was a fun little afternoon project, enjoyed learning just a little bit more about setting up my own DNS server on my home network. Didn't do anything about Hulu ads on the Playstation which was really the only functional purpose it could have, but what the hey. Here's the thing though... I can be kind of a lazy rear end in a top hat. I hadn't used my Pi for anything in a while. I knew I had the wallwart power supply in ONE of my big-box-o-cables but was deep in ADHD fueled tinkerbrain and didn't want to dig it out in at that exact moment in time. Last time I was loving around with the Pi I was just running it off the 5V from my computers USB. Even then I knew it wasn't best practice, but it didn't NOT work. So as I'm elbow deep in the shelf I keep my networking hardware on, I just grab the little 6-inch USB cable I've got sitting there and find... oh hey, a USB port on my router!

"Well poo poo, running off a USB powered by my computer motherboard is one thing, but running it off this dinky little ASUS routers power supply is almost certainly inadvisable." I thought as I looked backwards at the big-boxes-o-cables. "But it doesn't hurt to at least try..."

And would you look at that. PiHole is running just fine! If the Pi is pulling enough current to run, and the network is still up, I guess this ill advised idea is all well and good. Now my fiancée started complaining almost immediately that the internet was "fucky" but she's not so tech savvy so I wrote her off like an idiot. Queue 2 or 3 months of kind of wierd, but never completely unusable network behavior. It wasn't until today that we started having some REAL problems with some VPN networks that my fiancée got salty enough to spend hours reading reddit threads and run a packet loss test, and discovered we're dropping something like 15-20% of our packets. Ran a speed test and saw we were pulling barely over 15Mbps. Now I don't REALLY know what could cause that but my spidey senses tingled and I thought back with dread to that rather lazy install job I did on the router.

Did a bit of digging in the big-boxes-o-cables, found the appropriate wallwart, set everything up as I should. Bingo.

So yeah, you can mock me now.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 3, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm impressed that the current draw from the Pi was enough to cause issues with the router. Most routers come with very cheap wall warts that are just enough to begin with, so I guess it makes sense. At least if you start having router issues in the future you can check with a replacement power supply first.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Rexxed posted:

I'm impressed that the current draw from the Pi was enough to cause issues with the router. Most routers come with very cheap wall warts that are just enough to begin with, so I guess it makes sense. At least if you start having router issues in the future you can check with a replacement power supply first.

Back around 2007 my family started having issues with our internet being slow and having intermittent issues for weeks until I took our router (might have been the modem) to our ISP’s support site, which back then it was basically a kiosk in the mall telling them the device was failing. The employee was willing to replace it but pointed out that I brought the wrong power adapter. It was at that point I realized I hosed up trying to do some cable management weeks ago and plugged in the wrong and underpowered power adapter which is what was causing the issues.

I didn’t admit to it and just said I grabbed the wrong one on my way out the door to save face and they allowed me to just bring the correct one up later. So instead of being embarrassed I made a second trip.

I have fixed a couple issues for others throughout my career by checking the output voltage and amps of the power adapters they were using so it was a good lesson.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DrHammond posted:

So yeah, you can mock me now.

I wouldn't say it's best practice to do that, but I feel like you can blame the hardware for the result you got more than yourself. The router should be designed to have enough headroom on the power supply to drive the port at least to USB 2.0 spec (0.5A/2.5W) if not higher, and should shut the port off if a load is trying to draw more than it can comfortably provide. It shouldn't put itself under a perpetual brownout without so much as a complaint.

My first experiments with a Raspberry Pi used a Samsung tablet charger as the supply. I figured it had a 1.8A limit, that's plenty for a Pi 2 without any load on the USB ports right? A few corrupted SD cards later, I concluded that even if a tablet charger can push plenty of current it might not be designed to stick closely enough to 5V for devices which are directly running off that power instead of charging a battery.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 3, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hi. I just spent the past three hours fighting with my apps, my vpn, and my phone trying to figure out why poo poo was hosed.

Turns out My Unifi-AP-AC-LR is dying, and a factory reset combined with a firmware update seems to have mostly restored it but I still got a burnt out status LED, so that's cool I guess.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
my worst network story is that when I moved, charter was ADAMANT that I not use my trusty DPC3008 (they said I could but they'd charge me more for install/support/etc) so whatever. Cue months of random internet dropouts - usually at night, only for a few minutes, but certainly long enough to bounce me out of my vidya and angrily call support. They could never find anything wrong, modem said it'd been connected for days with no drops in the logs, signal strength at the wall looked ideal, etc. Of course if you reset it then it was fine for another few minutes (it could still drop later that same night) but at that point they would give me the "everything looks good here" line.

finally I got lucky and it dropped while I was on the phone with support and they tried to run their little diagnostics on it and they just couldn't talk to the modem at all. modem thought it was still up, just hanging internally I guess?

they sent someone out and he swapped my modem (probably for another modem pulled from someone else lol) and bingo, no more problems.

The original one was actually Charter branded and the new one is a Cisco or something, my gut feel is firmware glitch.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 4, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think I posted about it in the thread before, but I spent ages troubleshooting my modem and router trying to figure out why my Internet speeds weren't matching what I was paying for, and all my speedtests kept capping at 100mbps. Finally I got annoyed enough to get to the awkward spot they are located and connect a laptop directly to the modem, and the speeds were STILL capped at 100mbps. Then, finally, it occurred to me to try a different ethernet cable. And everything jumped up to what it should be.

I'd spent weeks, if not months, grumbling about getting shortchanged by Comcast but really it was just due to the conveniently short but woefully inadequate ethernet cable between my modem and router.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is there a network card/chip with SFP+ ports that can negotiate at 2.5Gbps?

Explanation: I live in Canada and I have Bell FTTH with their HomeHub 3000 modem. I pay for a 1Gbps plan. I would like to get the 1.5Gbps plan, however, to make use of it I'd have to use the HomeHub as the actual router as well and that's not acceptable. Currently I have a normal PC as the gateway and I bypass the modem with plain and simple ppoe, while being plugged into one of the network ports of that modem. The optical cable from outside goes into that modem via a SFP+ transceiver that apparently can be removed and plugged into whatever SFP+ port you like.

Therefore, I'd like to buy a 2 port SFP+ network card, a switch with one (or more) SFP+ ports and improve the overall internet speed in my house. If the switch would have 2 SFP+ ports I could even connect one to the downloads machine for instant linux isos. But, from what I could gather from the internet is seems that:

- The HomeHub 3000 optical port negotiates at 2.5Gbps. Not 10 like normal chips.
- All SFP+ ports cards that I can find can only negotiate at 1 and 10 Gbps
- There are cards (like https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/details/ethernet/700-network-adapters/x710-network-adapters.html) that can do 2.5 but apparently only for RJ45 port not SFP+.
- There seem to be adapters out there that convert from optical cable to RJ45 but none of them seem to say if they negotiate the optical port at 2.5Gbps or not
- There are threads on dslreports that have patched Broadcom drivers for FreeBSD (well, pfsense) that apparently allow a card with that chip to connect at 2.5Gbps, but I'm not sure yet if I wanna trust those. Plus I run OpenBSD on my gateway, but I guess I could downgrade to FreeBSD if I had to.

What am I missing here? Is this the state of FTTH and there's nothing I can do until Bell does whatever it is they do on the other end and can negotiate at 10Gbps? If that's all there is ... well, it sucks.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I spent an inhuman amount of time trying to get 1.5GBps FTTH from Bell to negotiate at 2.5G with a ton of devices starting with a UDM Pro and trying BSD with some cards but gave up and just stuck with 1GBps from them. Godspeed fellow Bell user.

Also their new 3GBps service only supports the HH4000 apparently which you can't remove the SFP card from.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

I spent an inhuman amount of time trying to get 1.5GBps FTTH from Bell to negotiate at 2.5G with a ton of devices starting with a UDM Pro and trying BSD with some cards but gave up and just stuck with 1GBps from them. Godspeed fellow Bell user.

Also their new 3GBps service only supports the HH4000 apparently which you can't remove the SFP card from.

Ooooh, really? Unless their "switch" accepts 10G (doubt it), you basically have to use their modem as a router to get the 3Gbps. And that's just a sad state of affairs.

Edit: Just saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRSUdiOlBZM (skip to 10m in) which says that the HH4000 has a 10GB network port in the back that then you can basically connect to and just pppoe the poo poo out of it. So HH4000 would be then worth it. Yes, would not be able to get rid of it, but still, you could get 1.5 or 3Gbps and still use your equipment and let the modem be just a modem.

Edit2: And I saw on Bell's site that I could order 3Gbps at home that would come with HH4000 (for about $40/month more) and now I'm just ... pondering. I'd need to get my house in order first (10G - 2 port card for my gateway, 10G switch, those can be expensive for over 16 ports), but that looks mighty tempting.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 6, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Volguus posted:

Is there a network card/chip with SFP+ ports that can negotiate at 2.5Gbps?

Explanation: I live in Canada and I have Bell FTTH with their HomeHub 3000 modem. I pay for a 1Gbps plan. I would like to get the 1.5Gbps plan, however, to make use of it I'd have to use the HomeHub as the actual router as well and that's not acceptable. Currently I have a normal PC as the gateway and I bypass the modem with plain and simple ppoe, while being plugged into one of the network ports of that modem. The optical cable from outside goes into that modem via a SFP+ transceiver that apparently can be removed and plugged into whatever SFP+ port you like.

Therefore, I'd like to buy a 2 port SFP+ network card, a switch with one (or more) SFP+ ports and improve the overall internet speed in my house. If the switch would have 2 SFP+ ports I could even connect one to the downloads machine for instant linux isos. But, from what I could gather from the internet is seems that:

- The HomeHub 3000 optical port negotiates at 2.5Gbps. Not 10 like normal chips.
- All SFP+ ports cards that I can find can only negotiate at 1 and 10 Gbps
- There are cards (like https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/details/ethernet/700-network-adapters/x710-network-adapters.html) that can do 2.5 but apparently only for RJ45 port not SFP+.
- There seem to be adapters out there that convert from optical cable to RJ45 but none of them seem to say if they negotiate the optical port at 2.5Gbps or not
- There are threads on dslreports that have patched Broadcom drivers for FreeBSD (well, pfsense) that apparently allow a card with that chip to connect at 2.5Gbps, but I'm not sure yet if I wanna trust those. Plus I run OpenBSD on my gateway, but I guess I could downgrade to FreeBSD if I had to.

What am I missing here? Is this the state of FTTH and there's nothing I can do until Bell does whatever it is they do on the other end and can negotiate at 10Gbps? If that's all there is ... well, it sucks.
2.5G Ethernet over RJ45 is an intermediary technology, to repurpose existing copper, rather than having to pull new cable which would make sense to do as fiber which can do 10G+ - so it doesn't make sense that it'd be part of SFP+ (and I sure don't remember it being part of the specs, from the two decades working as a network admin).

I would also be entirely unsurprised to learn that Broadcom makes these available to ISPs to help with vendor lock-invendors offer customers the best solution.

If you go the SFP+-to-RJ45 route, please remember that you still benefit from having fiber around the home if you're doing iSCSI or any form of very latency-sensitive network stuff, since SFP+ has an order of magnitude smaller latency than RJ45.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've read the OP but, well, thread title. Looks like my modem router combo is dying so I need a new one and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the options and things to consider. I'm using a TP-Link TD-W9970 which has been fine if a little underpowered, requiring a booster at the top of the stairs. I have no advanced needs, just streaming 1440p, gaming online (I use an ethernet cable for that), Teams calls and the like so no need to go nuts on features. I'm on Plusnet FTTC in the UK. A modem router combo is preferable because of space but if there's a much better option with separate devices that's fine. I just need something that'll do the job.

e: Turns out the last time my router died the TP-Link Archer VR600 was recommended to me in here as the next step up from what I actually bought, is that still current or have things changed a lot in 3 and a half years? I'll just go with that if it'll do the job.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 8, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The TP-Link Archer AX55 is today's Amazon Treasure Truck deal for $90. My current router is a TP-Link Archer A7 in the coat closet of my 2 bedroom apartment and it's adequate for my 200mbps FIOS, though I may eventually upgrade to faster internet. I have a million devices that are a mix of 2.4GHz and 5GHz but typically only use 2 simultaneously (phone + desktop, TV + laptop, etc).

The one situation where faster WiFi might be useful (though I'm not sure it's necessary) is Plex streaming from my desktop (Intel AC9260) to my living room TV (FireTV 4k Max). From what I can tell, my desktop supports MU-MIMO and the FireTV Max is WiFi 6 which also supports MU-MIMO, but my router does not.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Comcast doubled the Gigabit Pro fiber speeds from 3 Gbps to 6 Gbps! Wooooo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: nevermind, I am a giant dunderhead dunce idiot hell fucker.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 15, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

gently caress yeah, saw EdgeRouter 4s in stock at Ubiquiti, I ordered that sucker right away!

Drtveless Dream Machine Pros and SEs appear to be in stock too (at the time of this posting) but I expect them to be sold out later today (as also what I just ordered)

So my EdgeRouter X will be put into switch mode once I get the EdgeRouter 4 set up.

Edit: Dream Routers appear to have been removed from the Ubiquiti site for some reason, maybe its off Early Access

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 16, 2022

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

gently caress yeah, saw EdgeRouter 4s in stock at Ubiquiti, I ordered that sucker right away!

Drtveless Dream Machine Pros and SEs appear to be in stock too (at the time of this posting) but I expect them to be sold out later today (as also what I just ordered)

So my EdgeRouter X will be put into switch mode once I get the EdgeRouter 4 set up.

Edit: Dream Routers appear to have been removed from the Ubiquiti site for some reason, maybe its off Early Access

I got the EdgeRouter 4 during COVID from some guy at less than retail price and was ecstatic. Seeing they they’re still charging 199.99 for it makes that seem like even more of a deal. I love that I never have to touch it. Mine has been up for half a year and the only reason I rebooted it was to troubleshoot an AP issue I was having.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Is this the thread where I can ask whats the best VPN service? I don't really need anything fancy, I just need it to use a foreign website that has blocked US users.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you just need regular website access and not something that involves streaming, the SoftEther VPN Project from a bunch of folks across multiple years at University of Tsukuba, Japan is completely free.

If you need to stream content, please pay for any number of semi-shady companies that specialize in avoiding streaming blocks that do logging despite claiming not to, because that takes up a large portion of bandwidth of free and legitimately useful VPN services and will eventually get the hosts blocked by the streaming companies anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

god this blows posted:

I got the EdgeRouter 4 during COVID from some guy at less than retail price and was ecstatic. Seeing they they’re still charging 199.99 for it makes that seem like even more of a deal. I love that I never have to touch it. Mine has been up for half a year and the only reason I rebooted it was to troubleshoot an AP issue I was having.

You have incoming gigabit?

There's two assholes trying to sell the ER4 on Amazon for $319 and $373, beware.. it's still in stock for $199 at Ubiquiti.

Oh yeah, EdgeRouter X is back in stock ($59) at UI, Dream Machine SE and Pro, Switch Flex Mini still in stock, but the new hotness Dream Router is sold out.

WTF, UI took my money but it's still not shipped yet? Is there like one person fulfilling orders this week?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 17, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you just need regular website access and not something that involves streaming, the SoftEther VPN Project from a bunch of folks across multiple years at University of Tsukuba, Japan is completely free.

If you need to stream content, please pay for any number of semi-shady companies that specialize in avoiding streaming blocks that do logging despite claiming not to, because that takes up a large portion of bandwidth of free and legitimately useful VPN services and will eventually get the hosts blocked by the streaming companies anyway.

Have we lost all faith in the Proton folks now?

edit: Ah, so we have. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/protonmail-scandal-tarnishes-swiss-privacy-reputation-/46952640

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

There's two assholes trying to sell the ER4 on Amazon for $319 and $373, beware.. it's still in stock for $199 at Ubiquiti.

Oh yeah, EdgeRouter X is back in stock ($59) at UI, Dream Machine SE and Pro, Switch Flex Mini still in stock, but the new hotness Dream Router is sold out.

WTF, UI took my money but it's still not shipped yet? Is there like one person fulfilling orders this week?

I have incoming municipal GPON, Wired speeds I see about 950-980 but it is hard to find sites that I can max out. I'm just happy its a set it and forget it device. I've used plenty of other devices that had to be rebooted every once and a while.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Binary Badger posted:

Is there a guess on when the rest of the AP lineup gets 6e updates?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nope, and the $249 6E Access Point Enterprise isn't even out of Early Access yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

is there anybody better though? It doesn't sound like they got actual content, just de-anonymized an activist, which sucks but could be worse, and I'm not sure there are many better ones. At the end of the day unless you're hosted in like, somalia, a warrant is going to get you at least a little bit of personal info.

I was looking to ditch Google at some point (get a custom domain and point it to a third party provider, and pull down mail to a self-hosted dovecot) so I'm looking around, glad to hear any other suggestions.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 17, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The Ars article I read about it seems to say they're now forced to collect IPs due to Swiss Law. It's not clear whether this is for everyone or only requested users, but they did remove the "we don't track IPs by default" verbiage from their promotion/policy material. They also put up info on how to access their services via Tor in response to the policy change. Unfortunate but also I'm not really looking for pure anonymous email and Proton is a big step up from Google imo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there anybody better though? It doesn't sound like they got actual content, just de-anonymized an activist, which sucks but could be worse, and I'm not sure there are many better ones. At the end of the day unless you're hosted in like, somalia, a warrant is going to get you at least a little bit of personal info.

I was looking to ditch Google at some point (get a custom domain and point it to a third party provider, and pull down mail to a self-hosted dovecot) so I'm looking around, glad to hear any other suggestions.

I brought them up in the context of VPNs, not email, but even I am working on moving to a protonmail address since people with (First Initial)(Lastname) that coincidentally matches my email from Australia to New England are increasingly just using my email that I've had since 2004 to sign up for spam things left and right.

Even cancelling the appointments and things of repeat offenders when they get sent to my email aren't enough to get them to stop.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 18, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

School of How posted:

Is this the thread where I can ask whats the best VPN service? I don't really need anything fancy, I just need it to use a foreign website that has blocked US users.

Is there anything wrong with NordVPN? I've been using that on and off, because of the availability of endpoints in lots of different countries. It's only so my wife can watch the couple foreign shows that she likes without waiting a year for them to hit US Hulu or Netflix

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Been using PIA for a long time and love it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

PitViper posted:

Is there anything wrong with NordVPN? I've been using that on and off, because of the availability of endpoints in lots of different countries. It's only so my wife can watch the couple foreign shows that she likes without waiting a year for them to hit US Hulu or Netflix

Slower download speeds than alternatives and an insane amount of affiliate marketing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been a big fan of mullvad. Much faster than any others I've tried, just a bit more expensive. Also you don't need to give any info at all to make an account

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Azhais posted:

I've been a big fan of mullvad. Much faster than any others I've tried, just a bit more expensive. Also you don't need to give any info at all to make an account

I agree. This the best and only VPN service people should use.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i want my VPN provider to be tinfoil hat paranoid, and that's mullivad to a T. they don't offer any kind of deals, just a flat rate which keeps them sustainable.

they're a little more expensive but imo you get what you pay for. 5 euro a month isn't that bad.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was going to buy a new Ubiquiti AP (to replace my out of support UAP) and a managed switch to power some POE devices. However it’s been like 3+ months and the APs are still out of stock everywhere.

I’m thinking I’ll go TP Link Omada instead. A bit cheaper and all in stock. I know I’ll have to rebuild the controller/settings for the Wi-Fi but should everything else work as expected?

I run an ER-X from my fibre connection.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VelociBacon posted:

Been using PIA for a long time and love it.

My sibling in Christ, I got some bad news for you.

https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-owns-expressvpn-cyberghost-pia-zenmate-vpn-review-sites/

TL;DR: The owner is shady and spent time in jail for insider trading, the holding company is shady and has roots in Israeli state cybersecurity, and it does shady things like buy out sites that show up when you google VPN reviews only to list their own results at the top with a nod given to Proton and Nord as a half-assed attempt at preserving the appearance of legitimacy.

Now, I know you're probably just using the VPN for bypassing geolocks and avoiding piracy letters from your ISP and not using it for any sooper sekrit things like whistleblowing corrupt government actors or hacking infrastructure on behalf of hostile nation-states, but if you can't smell this for the honeypot that it probably is? You might need to find a different line of work.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My sibling in Christ, I got some bad news for you.

https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-owns-expressvpn-cyberghost-pia-zenmate-vpn-review-sites/

TL;DR: The owner is shady and spent time in jail for insider trading, the holding company is shady and has roots in Israeli state cybersecurity, and it does shady things like buy out sites that show up when you google VPN reviews only to list their own results at the top with a nod given to Proton and Nord as a half-assed attempt at preserving the appearance of legitimacy.

Now, I know you're probably just using the VPN for bypassing geolocks and avoiding piracy letters from your ISP and not using it for any sooper sekrit things like whistleblowing corrupt government actors or hacking infrastructure on behalf of hostile nation-states, but if you can't smell this for the honeypot that it probably is? You might need to find a different line of work.

Yeah I've heard bad stuff about them (mostly just that they don't really keep no logs man! but I guess I don't really care because the price is fine, it works great across different platforms, the speed is acceptable, you get a ton of installs per license, and like you say I'm just using it to avoid letters. To be honest when I hear people get REALLY uptight about whether or not their real identity is recorded by the VPN company they use I assume they're doing disgusting poo poo that I would find loathsome, or they have a heightened interest in cybersecurity/data privacy that extends beyond what they actually need to worry about. For me I just consider it a yearly fee to be able to access the content I want. I know I could set up my own server boxes on the other side of the planet and hop through three different ones in various countries and everything else to serve the same purpose but for my needs it's pointless.

If someone did want to do 100% fully remote infrastructure penetration and had some 0-days I'd expect they would use a port scanning tool to find vulnerable/unpatched personal/commercial routers and would just execute their payloads from that IP, I dunno how many people are sitting at their home/business and trying to be malicious while relying on a consumer VPN. It's good info for other people in the thread who want to be extra careful though.

e: my line of work is clinical informatics I'm not sure if you're confusing me with another goon