Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
148(8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Y'all are like little babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISuBAGxw4w

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TACD posted:

lol he's not going to care. when he first got in didn't he lose something like 8 votes in a row and set a new record in the process?

Looks like someone's digging up the Magic Money Tree TM again

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TACD posted:

lol he's not going to care. when he first got in didn't he lose something like 8 votes in a row and set a new record in the process?

That was when he had a minority though and Corbyn and the other parties just kept dunking on him over and over again, the Tory party discipline is strong.

The rebels will still vote for party policy as a matter of course, they'll just be recruiting and scheming all the time behind a few figures who want to be PM.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Well part of the issue now is that the MPs who voted against him are seemingly the ones most at risk of losing their seats in a snap GE. Unless Boris calls one just out of spite, in which case lmao, they're never going to do anything that puts themselves at risk.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Amazing.

:allears:

It's a win-win. He's a neutered PM, unable to guarantee a majority in parliament anymore, and he's stopped any of the sycophantic wankers from filling his shoes. He's untouchable for at least a year now, and all the time, he's destroying the party.

I prefer this timeline than that one that leads to PM Truss.

Just on the year's stay of execution thing, IIRC it only needs a simple majority of the Tory parliamentary party to change the rules so that another VONC can be held earlier. That's what Brady is rumoured to have threatened May with happening before she resigned

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Amazing.

:allears:

It's a win-win. He's a neutered PM, unable to guarantee a majority in parliament anymore, and he's stopped any of the sycophantic wankers from filling his shoes. He's untouchable for at least a year now, and all the time, he's destroying the party.

I prefer this timeline than that one that leads to PM Truss.

You are wildly optimistic if you think that Boris cannot guarantee a majority in parliament. Very few of the 148 will be willing to go so far as to vote against the government on a whipped vote, never mind on an issue of confidence or supply

It's one thing to vote against the leader of the party in an anonymous ballot, quite another to do so in parliament with the whips threatening to out how many kids you've fiddled. The backbench MP can rarely be called brave.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 6, 2022

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Niric posted:

Just on the year's stay of execution thing, IIRC it only needs a simple majority of the Tory parliamentary party to change the rules so that another VONC can be held earlier. That's what Brady is rumoured to have threatened May with happening before she resigned

Yeah, if Brady can basically prove to him that he'd lose a VONC, it's pretty much jump or be pushed.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Tories want to keep Boris around to soak up the blame for the cost of living crisis, and anything else this hellworld has in store for us. They’ll ditch him with just enough time before the next election to install someone new they can ludicrously claim represents a fresh start.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Tories want to keep Boris around to soak up the blame for the cost of living crisis, and anything else this hellworld has in store for us. They’ll ditch him with just enough time before the next election to install someone new they can ludicrously claim represents a fresh start.

well quite a lot of them dont seemingly want this

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Will this diminish Boris’ authority to reshuffle cabinet, like when May tried to sack someone (Hunt?) and ended up giving them a promotion instead?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

Will this diminish Boris’ authority to reshuffle cabinet, like when May tried to sack someone (Hunt?) and ended up giving them a promotion instead?

that was spiderman

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Halisnacks posted:

I think we'll see some minor positions gifted out to win some favour back but Boris has his biggest supporters in the top jobs anyway so they're not going to change.

May had people she loving hated in the top jobs as she had no real power.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

To some degree, yes, though it's different to May's situation because he still has a huge parliamentary majority and the current policy headache, cost of living, won't have the same factional splits or totemic significance as Brexit votes. Johnson does need to be very careful not to piss more MPs off though, so if he's reshuffling he'll need to make sure he's buying loyalty in return and not hacking off any faction that could turn further against him

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Niric posted:

If 50% of the Tory parliamentary party were willing to do that, the VONC would have passed. Maybe another 31 of them will change their minds if they lose the upcoming by-elections, but don't hold your breath.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just tabulating this here for ease of reference.

Theresa May VONC
Dec 2018: 200 to 117 survived 63%:37%
resigned 7 months later

DePfeffel VONC
June 2022: 211 to 148 survived 58.8%:41.2%

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can see quite a few defections happening to Keiths 'Tory-Light' Labour, especially in the so called red wall seats and other marginal constituencies. Many MP's are more focused on their own personal career than any loyalty to a party.

While Boris might have won 59% of his MP's support, I'll guess that figure is going to be a lot lower among Tory party members. He was successively booed by crowds of Royalists at the Jubilee. Do you think we'll ever see any polling of party memebrs?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

You are wildly optimistic if you think that Boris cannot guarantee a majority in parliament. Very few of the 148 will be willing to go so far as to vote against the government on a whipped vote, never mind on an issue of confidence or supply

It's one thing to vote against the leader of the party in an anonymous ballot, quite another to do so in parliament with the whips threatening to out how many kids you've fiddled. The backbench MP can rarely be called brave.

I'm not so sure about that, Johnson and Sunak's economic policies have been very unpopular among some of the more swivel eyed backbenchers. If the cost of living crisis continues to worsen the government is going to end up under some real popular pressure to do something, anything, while the more militant MPs are going to be opposed even to fig-leaves that give credence to the notion that the filthy scroungers deserve anything at all. The question in my mind is only whether the government will break first under pressure from its backbenchers or the polling companies.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just tabulating this here for ease of reference.

Theresa May VONC
Dec 2018: 200 to 117 survived 63%:37%
resigned 7 months later

DePfeffel VONC
June 2022: 211 to 148 survived 58.8%:41.2%

Yes, but he's a rampaging narcissist who gives zero fucks about the optics of clinging on by his fingernails. A week ago we were talking about the f word and it was 50/50 if he would even go if he lost a VONC.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reveilled posted:

I'm not so sure about that, Johnson and Sunak's economic policies have been very unpopular among some of the more swivel eyed backbenchers. If the cost of living crisis continues to worsen the government is going to end up under some real popular pressure to do something, anything, while the more militant MPs are going to be opposed even to fig-leaves that give credence to the notion that the filthy scroungers deserve anything at all. The question in my mind is only whether the government will break first under pressure from its backbenchers or the polling companies.

The swivel eyed loons want massive tax cuts. It's not like Boris or Rishi are opposed to them. We hosed

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Yes, but he's a rampaging narcissist who gives zero fucks about the optics of clinging on by his fingernails. A week ago we were talking about the f word and it was 50/50 if he would even go if he lost a VONC.

I agree! Just put the numbers there for comparison as I had to keep looking them up (age related defects :corsair: )
I think the so-called 'red wall' MPs who might have voted against him will probably be quaking in their boots right now because Johnson is a vicious, vindictive git.
Even if the vote was anonymous, I reckon those newbies who voted against him would crumble if asked directly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Boris will never resign power willingly. Anything less than being forcibly removed won't work. He doesn't care about decorum or procedure, he'll absolutely push his luck to the maximum that is allowed by the law.

fuctifino posted:

I can see quite a few defections happening to Keiths 'Tory-Light' Labour, especially in the so called red wall seats and other marginal constituencies. Many MP's are more focused on their own personal career than any loyalty to a party.

While Boris might have won 59% of his MP's support, I'll guess that figure is going to be a lot lower among Tory party members. He was successively booed by crowds of Royalists at the Jubilee. Do you think we'll ever see any polling of party memebrs?

I heard a poll was taken recently and 55% of party members wanted him gone. And it was one of those fairly strict polls that requires that you prove membership.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nephthys posted:

he'll absolutely push his luck to the maximum that is allowed by the law.

This is already not true.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he doesn't care about the allowed by the law bit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Its because of the English you see

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Its because of the English you see

that we're a successful nation? yes

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

that we're a successful nation? yes

Delusional comment, go in peace

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you're supposed to write a post, not just have a sig

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure England is a nation, it's somewhere between an empire and a state in most 19th and 20th century conceptions of what a nation is, having neither a common economic life nor psychological make-up manifested in a common culture beyond arguing with itself about what system of weights and measures to use and whether the government (which doesn't match the territory, nor has exclusive governance of the territory it does match) should bother doing anything.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
At best this will encourage ambitious cabinet members to do a bit more briefing against the PM to the tory rags

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's more boris in the music video for psychosocial.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jesus loving christ. What a thing to see before bed.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

The swivel eyed loons want massive tax cuts. It's not like Boris or Rishi are opposed to them. We hosed

During their tenure National Insurance has gone up and they're now imposing a windfall tax on energy companies. If they only thing they cared about was cutting taxes they wouldn't have done either of those things, they have other concerns that drove them to make those decisions, and if they are motivated to make similar decisions in future, it's far more likely the backbenchers who are opposed to those policies will rebel now.

Yes we're hosed, but we're probably hosed even worse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

great

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1533904725782953984?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Reveilled posted:

During their tenure National Insurance has gone up and they're now imposing a windfall tax on energy companies. If they only thing they cared about was cutting taxes they wouldn't have done either of those things, they have other concerns that drove them to make those decisions, and if they are motivated to make similar decisions in future, it's far more likely the backbenchers who are opposed to those policies will rebel now.

Yes we're hosed, but we're probably hosed even worse.

They want tax cuts... for the rich. National insurance is regressive and the rises avoid having to increase taxes on the rich. The "windfall tax" isn't as straightforward as that - Sunak announced at the same time that companies investing in new fossil fuel production will receive a tax break of up to 90% of the windfall tax.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tomorrow's papers today
Daily Star does it again.
Daily Mail trying to get the "coalition of chaos" thing going again from 2017 when they were saying there would be a Labour / SNP coalition.
Even the Torygraph has a negative tone.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He wriggled his way out of this one as well I take it?

Will never stop being amazing to me how no democracy-on-paper has any defense against anybody who just tells everybody to gently caress off no matter what the majority of people want