Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, the store's down and with a lead to WWDC.. that's a kinda good sign something new could be coming..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a mega-thread for this event?

MacBook Air with M2 announced.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
PRAISE THE BLACK KEYCAPS AND BEZELS

I was so worried

e: lmao, the touch bar will never die

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 6, 2022

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Fedule posted:

PRAISE THE BLACK KEYCAPS AND BEZELS

I was so worried

e: lmao, the touch bar will never die

Absolutely heartbreaking - but my decision to upgrade the SSD in my 2015 MacBook Pro feels like a good one, guess I’ll get another year plus out of it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Sweet, looks like it's finally time to replace my 2013 Macbook Air!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ayeeeee, I’m struggling with the option of replacing my 2018 MBP now. It’s a 100% work computer, and I bought it to prophylactically replace my rock-solid 2012 MBP. My MBPs are all work computers, and I usually replace them every 5 years regardless. I’ve been sorely disappointed with my current 2018. Better than any PC option, yes, but below the standards I’ve come to expect from Apple. Anyhoo, I’m not due for a replacement for another year. Eeeeee, this sucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lincoln posted:

Ayeeeee, I’m struggling with the option of replacing my 2018 MBP now. It’s a 100% work computer, and I bought it to prophylactically replace my rock-solid 2012 MBP. My MBPs are all work computers, and I usually replace them every 5 years regardless. I’ve been sorely disappointed with my current 2018. Better than any PC option, yes, but below the standards I’ve come to expect from Apple. Anyhoo, I’m not due for a replacement for another year. Eeeeee, this sucks.

Then order one now? I don’t know what else to tell ya

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Lincoln posted:

For real, you can just cut your commitment a year short to get rid of a lemon that irritates you on a regular basis. You’ve done four years, that’s enough.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Think of it as parole; but for your computing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Should I cancel my 14" MBP order and get this new MBA instead? I work with a few containers using Docker, some local NodeJS development, and I do amateur music production with Logic. I would absolutely love to have the small form factor but I'm not sure how much I'd be giving up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A little disappointed the Mini didn't get a M2.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm vaguely interested in there now being a DLSS competitor for Mac games, which will - when properly supported - go a huge way towards having an acceptable broad performance for users who take gaming seriously. It's also notable that instead of getting whatever random apple arcade kart racer had a free afternoon they decided to hawk Resident Evil and No Man's Sky, games which people have actually heard of. Unfortunately I doubt much of this will help the image of Mac gaming overall (and I gather Metal has other problems among developers but I don't understand any of them). But hey, it's all still nice to see.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why doesn't Apple make a computer with a line-in anymore?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

A little disappointed the Mini didn't get a M2.

Better luck next event?

So here's what we got:

M2 MacBook Pro

M2 MacBook Air

TouchBar? Why are you still here?

And of course, only one external display even with the freed up TBolt/USB-C port.

The Air will fast charge if you use a 67W USB-C charger over its packaged 35W USB-C charger.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 6, 2022

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Love the timing of this announcement. My M1 Max is supposed to be available for pick up on Wednesday and now I'm wondering if I should cancel it and wait for the M2 Max to be announced later this year.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

I'm vaguely interested in there now being a DLSS competitor for Mac games, which will - when properly supported - go a huge way towards having an acceptable broad performance for users who take gaming seriously. It's also notable that instead of getting whatever random apple arcade kart racer had a free afternoon they decided to hawk Resident Evil and No Man's Sky, games which people have actually heard of. Unfortunately I doubt much of this will help the image of Mac gaming overall (and I gather Metal has other problems among developers but I don't understand any of them). But hey, it's all still nice to see.

I'm interested in how this will work it's way into capabilities like Blender cycles rendering and such and other metal real-time usage. Gaming would be nice but I don't know that just the tech capabilities will change the landscape even if it's great.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

Why doesn't Apple make a computer with a line-in anymore?

Doesn't the 3.5mm jack have that capability? I thought it did but I've never used it as such.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

keevo posted:

Love the timing of this announcement. My M1 Max is supposed to be available for pick up on Wednesday and now I'm wondering if I should cancel it and wait for the M2 Max to be announced later this year.

I wouldn’t assume the entire lineup will get a replacement in short order - remember the lag time between the M1 and the Pro/Max. I would be genuinely surprised if Apple manages a full transition to M2 everything by the end of the year given supply chain issues affecting everyone, and the fact that the 14” and 16”MacBook Pros are well short of a year old. Hell, the Studio just dropped in March.

All of that said, I wanted an M2 mini with 24GB RAM and a few more ports. That would have been perfect.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

squirrelzipper posted:

Doesn't the 3.5mm jack have that capability? I thought it did but I've never used it as such.

any macbook made in the last decade has 3,5 TRRS capability (mic+headphones).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

I wouldn’t assume the entire lineup will get a replacement in short order - remember the lag time between the M1 and the Pro/Max. I would be genuinely surprised if Apple manages a full transition to M2 everything by the end of the year given supply chain issues affecting everyone, and the fact that the 14” and 16”MacBook Pros are well short of a year old. Hell, the Studio just dropped in March.

All of that said, I wanted an M2 mini with 24GB RAM and a few more ports. That would have been perfect.

Yeah, the M2 Pro / Max proabably won't be here until next year if the timing holds. Noted that they didn't compare against M1 P/M, only the older plain M1 machines.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get an M2 Air and either sell it / trade it in when the M2 P/M do show up..

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

keevo posted:

It could be a full year from now before we get M2 Pro/Max chips announced. It's possible they'll be announced earlier, I just wouldn't count on it if you're in need of a new computer. I believe the M3s are projected to be a more significant generation jump than the M2s, so maybe just get the M1 Max now and in 3 years or so you can upgrade to the M3 Max if the M1 isn't cutting it for you.

My question is are the M2 Airs still 4p + 4e cores, or were they upped to 6p + 2e? I'm guessing it's still 4+4, but it'd be nice to see the base M_ chips get 6 performance cores sooner rather than later (at least in the Mini / iMac where they have active cooling).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah... I was debating on getting the Studio simply because of more RAM. I don't even need more ports really, but I'd love to have a second Thunderbolt controller so that each port can reach max speeds simultaneously. I wonder if that's just not possible with an M1/M2

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Splinter posted:

It could be a full year from now before we get M2 Pro/Max chips announced. It's possible they'll be announced earlier, I just wouldn't count on it if you're in need of a new computer. I believe the M3s are projected to be a more significant generation jump than the M2s, so maybe just get the M1 Max now and in 3 years or so you can upgrade to the M3 Max if the M1 isn't cutting it for you.

My question is are the M2 Airs still 4p + 4e cores, or were they upped to 6p + 2e? I'm guessing it's still 4+4, but it'd be nice to see the base M_ chips get 6 performance cores sooner rather than later (at least in the Mini / iMac where they have active cooling).

It's absolutely still 4+4. I'd be shocked if they advance past 4 performance cores on the M3,4,5, given that they're thin and light chips for iPads and Airs first, and the efficiency cores are much more power efficient.

The trend is towards more efficiency cores, this year's Intel desktop and laptop chips are shipping 8 performance + 16E cores, and I'd bet that Apple follows that and ends up with 4+8 or 4+12 in the future.

Pure speculation, I could be wrong!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

keevo posted:

There's always something.

Some leaks from a while back suggested the M3 will be a much bigger improvement over the M2/M1 than the M2 is over the M1.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
One thing of note is the base M2s still only support 1 external monitor without having to resort to DisplayLink

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, I was really expecting to have to accept some compromises but the new Air looks like everything I was hoping for.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

any macbook made in the last decade has 3,5 TRRS capability (mic+headphones).

Line-in and mic-in aren't the same thing as far as I know. I have a "late 2014" mini and a "late 2018" mini. The 2014 has line-in, while the 2018 does not. It's not clear to me if you have a TRS (or TRRS) jack why you wouldn't have line-in support for it. It's just a feature on the chipset, right? I can ostensibly understand not including it on the $600 page-cheap computer, but it's not there on a $4,000 Mac Studio or $6,000 Mac Pro, either. How do you record sound on a Mac from not-a-microphone?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can the M2 Air charge over USB-C/Thunderbolt or will it only go through the MagSafe port?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Splinter posted:

Nope, still 4p + 4e cores. Choice of 8-core or 10-core GPU. With the 13-inch MBP, you get the 10-core GPU only.

Also:

Johny Srouji is telling you the M2 has:

• A 18% faster CPU (over the base M1)

• A 35% faster GPU (over the base M1)

• A 40% faster Neural Engine

• 50% faster memory bandwidth (100 GB/sec, M1 Pro has 200 GB/sec, and the Max 400 GB/sec)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 6, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

buglord posted:

Can the M2 Air charge over USB-C/Thunderbolt or will it only go through the MagSafe port?

The Pros do dont see why the airs wouldn't

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I like the look of the new Air. Glad they didn't ugly it up like some of the "leaked" designs. I think I still prefer the old wedge shape, but the smaller bezels on the new one are long overdue. Kinda disappointed that 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage aren't the new baseline with this refresh. 8 / 256 GB feels really tight these days, and it's an extra $400 to upgrade to 16 / 512 :argh:

At that point, you might be better off just jumping up to a 14" M1 pro.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Binary Badger posted:

Nope, still 4p + 4e cores. Choice of 8-core or 10-core GPU. With the 13-inch MBP, you get the 10-core GPU only.

Also:

Johny Srouji is telling you the M2 has:

• A 18% faster CPU (over the base M1)

• A 35% faster GPU (over the base M1)

• A 40% faster Neural Engine

• 50% faster memory bandwidth (100 GB/sec, M1 Pro has 200 GB/sec, and the Max 400 GB/sec)

how do all those compare to the m1 max then?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

how do all those compare to the m1 max then?

According to that, the base M2 per-core is in theory 18% faster than the M1 Max cores (since CPU core counts in the base M2 are the same as the base M1), but the M1 Max has 8 performance cores and 2 efficiency cores instead of 4+4 in the Air. So if you have workloads that can make use of the additional cores, the Max will still be faster in those cases.

On the GPU side I think it's harder to judge, as the 35% increase there I believe includes an additional GPU core in the base model (8 in the M2 vs 7 in the M1), so the per-core performance increase isn't 35%. Regardless, the Max will still be significantly faster for GPU workloads, as the Max has 24-32 GPU cores while the base M2 only has 8-10.

As listed, the Max also has way more memory bandwidth, which generally applies more in GPU workloads though there are some CPU workloads where that comes in handy as well.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 6, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple did quietly list the compatible Macs for macOS Ventura, and it looks like they finally dropped support for the Trash Can and everything before 2017.

See if your Mac can run macOS Ventura.

iMac 2017 and later

Mac Pro 2019 and later

iMac Pro 2017

Mac mini 2018 and later

MacBook Air 2018 and later

MacBook 2017 and later

MacBook Pro 2017 and later

So the venerable 15-inch 2015 MacBook Pro is finally off the supported list, too.. sigh

Also with that, we've likely seen the last Security Update (2022-004) for Catalina.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I was planning on finally getting a macbook to replace my early 2015 MBP so neat.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Toe Rag posted:

Line-in and mic-in aren't the same thing as far as I know. I have a "late 2014" mini and a "late 2018" mini. The 2014 has line-in, while the 2018 does not. It's not clear to me if you have a TRS (or TRRS) jack why you wouldn't have line-in support for it. It's just a feature on the chipset, right? I can ostensibly understand not including it on the $600 page-cheap computer, but it's not there on a $4,000 Mac Studio or $6,000 Mac Pro, either. How do you record sound on a Mac from not-a-microphone?

The TRRS connector is a desperation option, if you care hard enough for line in input, you can source a usb sound card. Line in and mic in will require on a good number of chipsets different connector path with different caps and so on, it's not just a amp on/off toggle.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've been looking forward to replacing my 2015 MBA so this is great.

I like the bit of active cooling in the MBP but touchbar, ew.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
REALLY like the look of the Midnight MacBook Air, am bummed they lost the wedge shape though. Am interested to see if the 14” Air has significantly larger dimensions than the 13”. If the footprint is largely the same that’d be nice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not the same as feeling it, but the compare page is up: https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBook-Air-M1,MacBook-Air-M2,MacBook-Pro-14 Curious to see how much the non-wedge affects the feel. The 14" M1 pros feel chonky to me, but they also weigh a good bit more.

Definitely interested. Been wanting to upgrade my M1 air, but I the configuration I'd be interested in (16gb / 1TB) is within a couple hundred bucks of a used 14" pro with similar specs but the 10C M1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

frogbs posted:

REALLY like the look of the Midnight MacBook Air, am bummed they lost the wedge shape though. Am interested to see if the 14” Air has significantly larger dimensions than the 13”. If the footprint is largely the same that’d be nice.

M1 Air:
- Height: 0.16–0.63 inch (0.41–1.61 cm)
- Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
- Depth: 8.36 inches (21.24 cm)
- Weight: 2.8 pounds (1.29 kg)3

M2 Air:
- Height: 0.44 inch (1.13 cm)
- Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
- Depth: 8.46 inches (21.5 cm)
- Weight: 2.7 pounds (1.24 kg)4

So slightly taller and deeper, but a bit lighter. I doubt it'll feel much larger, but it would depend on how cramped off spaces you're used to using it in.