Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Weird that they would do that, because the encounter rate was never that high. I feel like people complained about the encounter rate early on, especially about the Ice Cavern, because they apparently didn't realize that walking into the blowing wind caused automatic encounters.

It's almost certainly at least partially a reaction to folks misunderstanding the ice cavern. I can even recall folks trying the game for the first time in a much earlier iteration of this thread complaining of the encounter rate due to ice cave fuckery. In the past it wasn't an uncommon complaint elsewhere either.

Might also be due to the fact that IIRC the current port of FF9 was released on mobile devices only before being releases on anything else. They might have lowered the encounter rate in order to make moving around a bit more forgiving since it can be no doubt be awkward with touch controls.

The end result is kind of a mixed blessing, not sure if it's good or not.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have now officially made my peace with FFXVI probably not having any party members and now my status has returned to "hyped." I look forward to stringing together wild-looking combos where I cycle between channeling different Eikons to make the big numbers show up.

thank you for reading my FFXVI opinion status update

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Playing as all the different characters in 7R was really fun so hopefully even if you just play as Clive the whole game they can at least have different playstyles between different weapon and Eikon sets kinda like how Cloud, Barret, Yuffie, etc. all play totally differently.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, given that there are at least 7 Eikons they’ve shown, and you can only have three available at once, I bet there’ll be some character building choices around which three you slot at any given time. The Eikons are kinda your party members here.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

is there some etymological thing with eikon and summoning/is it just a play on icon or is it a secret FFIX Eiko reference

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like "eidolon"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

is there some etymological thing with eikon and summoning/is it just a play on icon or is it a secret FFIX Eiko reference

the bad guys in ff14 call summoned monsters eikons because they learned about them from ye olde evil magitek empire so ff16 is reusing that word because its cool

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Help Im Alive posted:

So weird.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why not combine them into Eikolon?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Espokon Force

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's not so much a play as the origin - Eikon is greek word meaning "likeness" that we derive icon from

As for why they went with that uhhhh you'd have to ask Koji Fox I guess

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Blockhouse posted:

It's not so much a play as the origin - Eikon is greek word meaning "likeness" that we derive icon from

As for why they went with that uhhhh you'd have to ask Koji Fox I guess

Some FFXIV spoilers, around HW: There is the fact that the Primals fought in FFXIV aren't actually the gods themselves, just representations of the summoning party's beliefs of those gods.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Eikon is fine, after all every FF has their own term for summons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Help Im Alive posted:

Eikon sounds like Icon, the thing you worship yes. Puns are king.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mega64 posted:

Eikon is fine, after all every FF has their own term for summons.

This is only true in localizations, really. Like sometimes the Japanese name changes (I think it X they were literally "summoned beasts"), but the many many different English attempts are largely a result of no translation of Genju ("phantom beast") sounding good. Eidolon is probably the closest they ever got to something that both matches the intent of the original term and also sounds cool.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Should have been back to Guardian Forces. :colbert:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mordiceius posted:

We have told you before that, no, those lead to memory loss. We can't use them anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zil posted:

We have told you before that, no, those lead to memory loss. We can't use them anymore.

Sure as hell seems like the most recent FFXIV trailer has acted like these divine forces slowly destroy their host. So the name would fit. :colbert:

Then I could just talk about how Clive has 3 GFs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Weird that they would do that, because the encounter rate was never that high. I feel like people complained about the encounter rate early on, especially about the Ice Cavern, because they apparently didn't realize that walking into the blowing wind caused automatic encounters.

For me personally it was always less the encounter rate and more the loading times to get into encounters so after emulators and the modern port it has always been a non-issue for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
EIKON. It's supposed to make you think of this:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

This is only true in localizations, really. Like sometimes the Japanese name changes (I think it X they were literally "summoned beasts"), but the many many different English attempts are largely a result of no translation of Genju ("phantom beast") sounding good. Eidolon is probably the closest they ever got to something that both matches the intent of the original term and also sounds cool.

In the Japanese script of FFXIV, do the Garleans have a different term for the primals/presumably "phantom beasts" like in the English script? I've been curious about that for a while since I knew most of the time it's "phantom beast" in Japanese in FF games.

Eidolon's my favorite term for them in the English text.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Harrow posted:

In the Japanese script of FFXIV, do the Garleans have a different term for the primals/presumably "phantom beasts" like in the English script? I've been curious about that for a while since I knew most of the time it's "phantom beast" in Japanese in FF games.

eikon, the allagan/garlean term, is rendered as-is, but "primal" is the normal ff-style gloss for a japanese-language term, in this case meaning "barbarian god"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

There are two terms.

One is Barbarian Gods which is what Primals are. Effectively savage/beastly gods. It is a lovely term but intentionally so.

One is Toshin or 'Gods of Fighting/Fighting Gods' which is what became Eikons.

They actually dont use Phantom Beasts

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

There are two terms.

One is Barbarian Gods which is what Primals are. Effectively savage/beastly gods. It is a lovely term but intentionally so.

One is Toshin or 'Gods of Fighting/Fighting Gods' which is what became Eikons.

They actually dont use Phantom Beasts

what about items like Eikon Fiber?

e: on further examination, the related "primal" items here are also "primal" rather than the japanese term either

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I could still find it in on youtube in what is arguably the purest form of Japanese meme video experience, completely covered in floating Niconico comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2O6ghFn5k

Nintendo level move taking that poo poo down. great vid

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking forward to the camera summon. The Nikon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bentacos posted:

I'm looking forward to the camera summon. The Nikon.

“They say when someone takes your picture they take a part of your soul. I say, why stop at a part?” *draws 4 gunblades*

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stev posted:

It's a bummer too because if they built off of what Lost Odyssey did right they'd probably be one of the best JRPG studios around today.

I remember trying Terra Battle 2 and just... what the hell was that game? :psyduck:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Eikon" is the root of the word "icon;" "eidolon" is the root of the word "idol." The thing about knowing a few Greek speakers IRL is I can't not look at those and want to pronounce them "eekon" and "eedólon."

The funny thing about the term "Genjuu" is that JMDict gives "cryptid" as one of the definitions. So yeah, Mothman and the Jersey Devil are overdue for a turn as an Esper.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

esper is actually the goofiest word once I learned it isnt just entirely made-up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

all words are made up :tinfoil:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Esper was a weird pick because in Japanese it just means "a psychic"

which is...not what those are in FFVI!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Esper is derived from ESP (extra-sensory perception) and comes from English science fiction in the 50s or whatever. It's been largely replaced by the word "psychic" in English, but it's had more staying power in Japan. Still, it is actually a real if somewhat out-of-fashion English word and it bugs me when people act like it's not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clarste posted:

Esper is derived from ESP (extra-sensory perception) and comes from English science fiction in the 50s or whatever. It's been largely replaced by the word "psychic" in English, but it's had more staying power in Japan. Still, it is actually an pseudo-archaic English word and it bugs me when people act like it's not.

I wasn't acting like it was not, I legitimately did not know because I don't think I've ever encountered it in English media.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordiceius posted:

GFs give us strength. The more powerful the GF, the more powerful we become.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
why the sam hill are the stranger of paradise models so pixelated

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Chaos.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Oxxidation posted:

why the sam hill are the stranger of paradise models so pixelated

They are horrendously unoptimized and are made of like five million polygons each.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I wasn't acting like it was not, I legitimately did not know because I don't think I've ever encountered it in English media.

yeah afaik it has only survived as japanese-english. and barely resembles its origin anyway since the capitalization doesnt translate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I knew the memes but was not prepared for what a tilt-a-whirl this first hour would be