Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Oops, poor typing there. I mean Multistrada V4. So I reassert my question: why bad?

Incredibly heavy, garbage suspension for both on and off road, terrible tire sizes, basically the whole bike works incredibly poorly both on and off road. Source: had a mate who worked at a Honda dealer and he got to use the demonstrators for fun. We went on like six rides together and neither of us could find anything redeeming about it. Honda made them bring in five of the things and a year later they were all still there. Easily the worst big adv as far as riding characteristics go imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man I kinda want a concours now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you mean Goldwasaki

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Olympic Mathlete posted:

He recently pulled it out of storage to give it a check and a run. Absolutely insane thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KIxKP0Wlw

its like one of those bikes they sell that has a vette engine in it jesus christ.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

UCS Hellmaker posted:

its like one of those bikes they sell that has a vette engine in it jesus christ.

lol we come back to the start

Gorson posted:

Amazonas 1600 and Boss Hoss owners, we want to hear from you.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Read about the Amazonas it's an interesting story. It's either about a guy who wanted to build a motorcycle and grifted the gov't to do it, or a guy who wanted to grift the gov't and then was forced to build a motorcycle. Either way the product is incredible, it weights over 1000 lbs and has a motor (plus other bits) from an ACVW.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also the government didn't remotely get what they paid for, or alternatively, they got exactly what they paid for.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

friends :3:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Day was pretty good, but I gave up after getting stung three separate times.
Also had an extended ride along/interview that they even paid me for, so I'm hoping to get a call back!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I need to head out this weekend and get some good pics of the Valkyrie. She's amazing, I've put almost 1k on her just putting around so far. Smoothest ride I've ever had on a bike and just purrs.

Everyone that knows about them flat out says they last forever, and basically just need regular maintenance. And I've gotten so many people that love the bike, she's just so different then a normal cruiser or sports bike. She's big, intimidating, the paint job is perfect, and she's not obnoxious loud like most big bikes.

Sidenote a guy in the complex has like 4 bikes, and a classic car. And just got a huybushi for a steal and god that thing looks insane.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yesterday I had a nice solo ride to what I guess will be my Triumph mechanic going forward, 3 hours round trip with some beautiful countryside along the way. I removed the PO's bar risers last week and can now confirm the stock bar setup works just fine for me and feels closer to the controls on my first bike.

But today the T120 did what she was born to do: collected crafting materials from the nearby town of Carpinteria.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's going on in that picture? It looks like some sort of bulbous, misshapen parasite has affixed itself to the tail of that nice motorcycle

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That's the utility blister. Did you spot the leather clutch I got out the purse pile at salvation army? Literally 99 cents, it's got my tire pressure gauge and a bit driver I dremeled into a shiv preload adjuster because the triumph "tool" for that is poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now you need to do every cosmetic improvement possible while still keeping the hideous top box

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was gonna put some chrome V-Max mirrors on it but they didn't fit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The extreme dislike here for fixing the one bad thing about motorcycles baffles me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ATBATT

All of the bags all of the time

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The panniers are a pain point for me. If I had my aesthetic druthers there would be locking matte black hard bags up there to go with the stylish top case and tank pads, but they'd be useless for me at this particular point in my life. So in reality I'm staying at 1 of 2 brown leather saddlebag from the PO; it's incongruous, doesn't lock, it's on the "wrong side" for regular use as it prevents Mrs. Marathe from climbing on the bike, and heavy enough when empty to subtly imbalance the ride I think.

But I can't quite ditch the fastening points, because the hangars are sometimes helpful for the cargo net and in the really, really rare event that I want to haul my underused camera gear on a solo ride that left leather bag will be the safest place I have to stuff some gear inserts.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

What's going on in that picture? It looks like some sort of bulbous, misshapen parasite has affixed itself to the tail of that nice motorcycle

:emptyquote:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

How do you feel about the modern triumphs btw? Obviously can’t be as bad as ktm since you called this one a nice motorcycle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

How do you feel about the modern triumphs btw? Obviously can’t be as bad as ktm since you called this one a nice motorcycle

Firstly, 'is it bad like a ktm' is not a meaningful metric for anything. I would literally have an Enfield over a ktm but that's got nothing to do with whether I like Enfields (I do) or whether they're any good (they aren't), there's a massive gulf between good bikes and KTMs and there are whole brands living in that void.

Secondly, only japanese bikes meet my standards for 'good bike' in that they're the only ones that are 100% fit for purpose and don't randomly break down for no reason, ever. Harley are 90% there but I suspect bringing them the rest of the way would excise all the character.

Triumph seem to be on an upward trajectory in most areas, I have not have any serious contact with the latest crop but I do know the fake carbs are the last realistic and most annoying they have ever been, I'm pretty sure the designer has never actually seen a carburetor IRL and just went off of grainy photos cause they're like twice as big as they're meant to be and only resemble a carb from twenty meters away, whereas the older fake mikunis could fool you point blank.

In general triumphs get worse the further back you go, the early nineties were just dismal. I don't think they've become actually good bikes yet, imo the older ones definitely aren't despite what the owners will try to tell you. They don't have the rock solid dependability of a japanese bike, nor do they have the predictability of a Ducati, they just tend to have random bullshit problems in a way that's symptomatic of immature designs and imperfect QC, like they're still learning to build bikes. Which they are, they're having to catch up on nearly a century of continual refinement and only now, entering their fourth decade, is it even possible to contemplate them being on a par with Japanese bikes.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Lmao thanks for that. I’ve been curious and on an off wanting one of the reincarnated ‘bonnevilles’ for like 10 years now.

What is the most good bike to you that’s currently produced, or produced in the last couple years? SV650? MT07?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good is a bar to clear not a title to be won, there is no most good bike because there's no 'better' way to not break down, you either do or you don't. Just pick your favorite yamazuki.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you can look at a part of your bike that isn’t a sticker and ask “why was this built the way it’s built?”, and your answer isn’t “because it performs or helps perform XYZ function”, then chances are high you’re looking at a not good bike ™️

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you can look at a part of your bike that isn’t a sticker and ask “why was this built the way it’s built?”, and your answer isn’t “because it performs or helps perform XYZ function”, then chances are high you’re looking at a not good bike ™️

There is so much wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start.
E- actually, it's much easier to say that I include looking cool and good as an XYZ function, and then we can agree.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Bonneville T120's turn signal was designed in a triangular shape and will begin sticking in the left position within the first 2k miles in order to remind you that Suzuki motorcycles rule.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The decline of Honda can be directly correlated to their use of black plastic triangles and fake vent texture. I am dead serious.

Finger Prince posted:

E- actually, it's much easier to say that I include looking cool and good as an XYZ function, and then we can agree.

No, he's right. The best bikes are the ones where they build a thing that does a thing, then afterwards figure out how to make that thing good looking. The best example of this I'm aware of is the 916. Literally everything on that bike does something, literally nothing is cosmetic, yet literally everything, like right down to the seat latch you never see, is gorgeous and carefully thought out. Form and function unified. I cannot, cannot stand designs that add bulk and weight to the bike for looks alone; it's why I'm against fairings cause on the majority of bikes they do nothing except impress people at the pub.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Things designed perfectly for a function automatically look awesome. My statement stands imo

Being engineered well to do a thing well does not preclude good looks at all

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

Ticks are pretty bad in some parts of the US

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Things designed perfectly for a function automatically look awesome. My statement stands imo

Being engineered well to do a thing well does not preclude good looks at all

This exhaust functions and does not look awesome.

This exhaust functions and looks awesome.

Honda didn't have to make it look good. They could have gone the Yamaha route. But by your definition, I look at the Honda exhaust and ask if the reason it looks like that is strictly because of function, and the answer is no. So it isn't a good bike. Unless you concede that a bike can be good while also taking aesthetics into consideration. Then the exhaust looks that way for the function of aesthetics, which is good, while also performing the function of removing and catalyzing waste gasses from the engine, which is also good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I’d argue the Yamaha isn’t designed perfectly for its function, whereas the Honda is, or is at least closer and therefore looks better.

Japanese bikes are not automatically exempt from sub-optimal design. It does exactly what it should, but it’s not designed well enough to look good doing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Unless you concede that a bike can be good while also taking aesthetics into consideration. Then the exhaust looks that way for the function of aesthetics, which is good, while also performing the function of removing and catalyzing waste gasses from the engine, which is also good.

I don’t think I ever didn’t concede that. What I’m talking about is fake carburetors, fake air cooling fins on water cooled bikes, vents and things that don’t serve a function, 350mm rear tires from the factory

Stuff like that. Both of those exhausts do their job and one of them looks better than the other doing it.

Things engineered to the utmost degree to work with everything else and perform their function flawlessly automatically look good, like slavvys 916 example and unlike that Yamaha example.

My original question was “does this help accomplish xyz” which the Yamaha exhaust does. Is it perfectly engineered and therefore automatically beautiful? No it is not. But it’s not a bad bike either because of that. It still is there to accomplish a task and is not in the realm of pretend carburetors

If you like the look of pretend carburetors, that’s fine. Triumph made that bike for you. It does not make it good though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 7, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t think I ever didn’t concede that. What I’m talking about is fake carburetors, fake air cooling fins on water cooled bikes, vents and things that don’t serve a function.

Stuff like that. Both of those exhausts do their job and one of them looks better than the other doing it.

Things engineered to the utmost degree to work with everything else and perform their function flawlessly automatically look good, like slavvys 916 example and unlike that Yamaha example.

My original question was “does this help accomplish xyz” which the Yamaha exhaust does. Is it perfectly engineered and therefore automatically beautiful? No it is not. But it’s not a bad bike either because of that. It still is there to accomplish a task and is not in the realm of pretend carburetors.

I know what you mean now that you've expanded on it, but your OP does make it sound like you're saying aesthetics stand in opposition to good engineering, and if a company puts thought and care and effort into design, they probably don't care about building a good bike. Both the Honda and the Yamaha are good bikes, but Honda took the extra step of making their functional bits look good. So you can't just look at some bike bits that are there for the purpose of looking good in the process of performing their function and say "well it must not be a good bike then".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If they just painted the exhaust black it would be fine on the Yamaha.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They could have tried just a little. This is Euro5 compliant as far as I can tell! It’s not beautiful, but it’s not hideous either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

If they just painted the exhaust black it would be fine on the Yamaha.

They ran out of black paint trying to hide the ugly on the rest of the bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

They've made some subtle design changes since it was the FZ09, in the very same areas that we've been picking on for years. The whole center area of the bike is much less busy, the swingarm doesn't look like a dog's leg, the rearsets weren't designed in a microdosed fever dream. However then they made the exhaust uglier, found a very prominent place to display the reg/rec, and why does that seat fitment look like a Buell?

And what is going on here???

Overall I think the CB300R is Honda's best current design. It all works together.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lmao I just noticed how long the curb feelers peg scrapers are on the CB300R, which appear to be one solid piece? Nothing an angle grinder can't fix.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The second pic I think is the SP model and I believe that extra lump is an oil cooler.

I think mt07 and 09 are phenomenally ugly, poorly proportioned bikes and focusing on random details like the exhaust is missing the woods for the trees. They are gently caress ugly and awkward as gently caress. Same thing with the ninja 650. No amount of styling can fix this because all the major elements of bike are the wrong size, in the wrong place, and can't result in something good looking.

This doesn't mean the cb650 or SV look amazing, they're just not ugly as gently caress.

And in a larger context, modern bikes that aren't ugly are kind of like Adele: she seems like an amazing singer because most singers nowadays suck poo poo, but by the standards of yesteryear she's ordinary. The cb650 is no Whitney Houston!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The cb300r is tiiiny. I really wanted one but it felt too small when I sat on it lol. Ended up with the vfr a real big boy bike :clint:

Actually it’s pretty cramped in the knees after about an hour. I’m jealous of the adv bikes they look more comfy