Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The setup was a little much but the swapped envelope payoff with the pictures of the frisbee guy saved it imo. I actually let out an audible "OH NOOOOO" when that happened because you actually see Howard's ego crumble in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I saw somewhere, I think it was this thread, where somebody suggested a drug that could credibly be what they were using, all I remember is that it causes people to taste garlic when they absorb it through the skin. Cant do research right now because I'm phone posting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should've used ricin

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I saw somewhere, I think it was this thread, where somebody suggested a drug that could credibly be what they were using, all I remember is that it causes people to taste garlic when they absorb it through the skin. Cant do research right now because I'm phone posting.

I don't know if that's what DMSO (dimethyl sulphoxide) does, but that's essentially a delivery method for other substances to be ingested topically.

Dead Kennedys have a song about it, loving with cops:

I do my part
Behind the lines
Swabbing door handles of cop cars
With DMSO mixed with LSD

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How quickly people forgive. Howard is an absolute arsehole. His crimes are too long to list but his slavish sidekickery to Chuck puts him way past the pale. He was actively screwing Jimmy over and did it knowingly and willingly. Other people (Ernesto) try to be a circuit breaker. Not Howard. Ernie gets the sack for being an unwitting pawn in Chuck's poo poo fuckery. Howard doesn't adjust his stance on that (or reemploy Ernie).

This is speculation, but who says that Howard's death wasn't the only thing that ended a plan that may have had several more steps involved. I think Kim's continued insistance on him leaving (pre Lalo) was possibly a setup for a tresspassing charge. The whole incident may have been recorded or secretly filmed. We don't know that yet. Criminal trespass (which Howard, upon being asked to leave is definitely guilty) is only a misdemeanor but there may have been some twist to the plan to make it amount to a felony. From context I think that getting Howard (even temporarily) disbarred would have been seen as a real quid pro quo for what Howard had assisted Chuck to achieve.

For those sceptical about tying the whole thing up in six episodes. Go back and watch the last two eps of BB (S05 E14 · Ozymandias and S05 E15 · Granite State). An amazing amount of ground was covered without any appearance of it being rushed or the pay off being discounted.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Ernesto coulda kept his job if he didn’t snitch to jimmy about the tape recording, chuck’s slippin game puts Howard’s to shame

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Atropine sulfate is a drug which causes increased heart rate and pupil dilation, among other things, and a veterinarian would have easy and legitimate access to it. It also wouldn't show up on regular drug screenings, like the vet said, since it's not a controlled or abused substance.

That was my guess for the drug, anyway, but it could be unicorn dust. It's a plot contrivance at the end of the day :v: .

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cartoon posted:

How quickly people forgive. Howard is an absolute arsehole. His crimes are too long to list but his slavish sidekickery to Chuck puts him way past the pale. He was actively screwing Jimmy over and did it knowingly and willingly. Other people (Ernesto) try to be a circuit breaker. Not Howard. Ernie gets the sack for being an unwitting pawn in Chuck's poo poo fuckery. Howard doesn't adjust his stance on that (or reemploy Ernie).

This is speculation, but who says that Howard's death wasn't the only thing that ended a plan that may have had several more steps involved. I think Kim's continued insistance on him leaving (pre Lalo) was possibly a setup for a tresspassing charge. The whole incident may have been recorded or secretly filmed. We don't know that yet. Criminal trespass (which Howard, upon being asked to leave is definitely guilty) is only a misdemeanor but there may have been some twist to the plan to make it amount to a felony. From context I think that getting Howard (even temporarily) disbarred would have been seen as a real quid pro quo for what Howard had assisted Chuck to achieve.

For those sceptical about tying the whole thing up in six episodes. Go back and watch the last two eps of BB (S05 E14 · Ozymandias and S05 E15 · Granite State). An amazing amount of ground was covered without any appearance of it being rushed or the pay off being discounted.

The impetus for THE PLAN™ was get the money sooner. They got the money sooner. Why would there be another step?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you can drug him by handing him a damp piece of paper then the rest of the scheme is pointless. Just give him drugs and he'll act weird at the hearing, why bother with the country club and fake bribe? They didn't play on his character flaws like with Chuck or the Mesa Verde guy, they just drugged him so he freaked out. It's a court room super weapon but I predict it will never come up again.

It's not the worst plot point ever, but after 6 episodes of build up it felt like a let down.
The drug on its own would not have done anything significant, they just applied a bit more pressure and provided some supporting evidence by dilating his pupils. The other scams were necessary to make Howard call a detective in the first place, to make sure he knew that Kim and Saul were working against him so he'd accuse them and be seen as a paranoid mess, and also to plant doubts in the mind of his partner.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Howard figuring out, correctly, every single stop of the entire plot against him exactly one nanosecond after the plot has successfully worked and done its damage is the best part imho.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I never realized it til typing the previous post but imagine the frustration of having figured everything out, but had it been figured out 45 seconds sooner (at any point before "go bring me the photos") the plan fails and the meeting resumes mostly as though nothing happened.

Imagine realizing you've been played that bad, you were this close to not loving up your entire career, and that to even gently caress up your career like that in that way, your every single move- shortcomings and ego alike, were perfectly anticipated and predicted :cripes:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 7, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's funny how everyone knows "big pupils = uppers" but hardly anyone ever says "did you see that guy he barely had any pupils, he must be on smack" haha

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Imagine being Howard in that scene and having to be all like "drat, Jimmy Mcgill, you fuckin' bribed that judge, all sneaky with your lose skin and horrific aged monster face. I would totally be conned by you, both my lawyer persona and the real me." when all he really wants to do is respectfully satisfy his wife while not in the guesthouse. And then your cocounsel calls for a settlement, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the office security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're loving Howie. You're not going to jeopardize your clients' wellbeing over this. So you ust bear it. Hide your face and bear it

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 7, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

no idea what anything the post above is going on about but anyway i just imagined Lalo having a snag in his plan, not showing up at kimmy's that night and episode 6x08 is just 45 minutes of howard yelling at them and getting progressively more and more drunk and it's our "The Fly"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

lurker2006 posted:

Imagine being Howard in that scene and having to be all like "drat, Jimmy Mcgill, you fuckin' bribed that judge, all sneaky with your lose skin and horrific aged monster face. I would totally be conned by you, both my lawyer persona and the real me." when all he really wants to do is respectfully satisfy his wife while not in the guesthouse. And then your cocounsel calls for a settlement, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the office security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're loving Howie. You're not going to jeopardize your clients' wellbeing over this. So you ust bear it. Hide your face and bear it

I'm imagining it, and I'm loving every minute of it

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

100% agreed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
can i just say how much i love Ed Begley on this tho

he is so good at acting like he isn't an actor

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The setup was a little much but the swapped envelope payoff with the pictures of the frisbee guy saved it imo. I actually let out an audible "OH NOOOOO" when that happened because you actually see Howard's ego crumble in real time.
Yeah that swapped photo is basically the battery that was slipped into Chuck's pocket. It wasn't so much that he freaked out over a phone without a battery in it, it's that he had a battery on him the whole time. It wasn't so much that Howard accused the judge of taking money, it's that his proof was a joke.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You should watch Oz. Slight spoilers, but I mean... c'mon, show is ancient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtduRh4b7ho

Kinda slides into a Colombo impression there a few times...

"Ah Gus, hey, sorry to bother you I know you have a lot going on, ah, there's just one more thing... *ding*

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you can drug him by handing him a damp piece of paper then the rest of the scheme is pointless. Just give him drugs and he'll act weird at the hearing, why bother with the country club and fake bribe? They didn't play on his character flaws like with Chuck or the Mesa Verde guy, they just drugged him so he freaked out. It's a court room super weapon but I predict it will never come up again.

It's not the worst plot point ever, but after 6 episodes of build up it felt like a let down.

The drug didn't change his behavior, it just made him flush and dilated his pupils. His actions were driven by the belief he had just see photos of the judge sitting in front of him right then accepting a cash bribe from the guy who'd been loving with him for months and who had a vested interest in torpedoing the settlement for an early payout. All of that is what took half a season to set up.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Urhh you know there was one more episode right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
drat imagine ending with Granite State though. That’d be just cruel

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I’m really hoping they got a torrent with the last episode missing or something. *squinting at that last scene when he runs out the bar with the theme tune playing trying to imagine it as the ending

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doesn't ketamine basically do the exact opposite of what they want, apart from making pupils dilate? Caffeine-sensitivity makes a lot more sense as something that modifies the effect of the drug if the drug is caffeine, or something similar.

If he was on any appreciable amount of ketamine then he'd be somewhere between "drunk" and "slumped and drooling", so yeah, it wouldn't be much use. Also it's not one of the more easily administered drugs, they'd have to find a way to make him snort some random powder or liquid or IM him (maybe a tranq dart? lol)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cartoon posted:

What.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Cartoon posted:

How quickly people forgive. Howard is an absolute arsehole. His crimes are too long to list

They really aren't.

1. Pretended it was he, and not Chuck, who didn't want to hire Jimmy.

2. Banished Kim to doc review twice for poo poo that wasn't really her fault either time.

I can't think of anything Howard does that's actually immoral outside these two; by the end of his life, he's acknowledged his regret for both and he's tried to make amends. The first one is such a messy interpersonal problem that I can empathize with him telling a white lie to stabilize Chuck and Jimmy's insane dynamic.

Howard might be an unpleasant person to know in real life, and one can understand Kim trying to wreck his career like he almost wrecked hers, but he didn't deserve the scam or the gunshot.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Howard’s crimes are of his appalling taste in everything except suits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Howard is a lovely boss but a decent human being

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Kim drugging Howard without his consent is objectively worse than him sending her to doc review

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

don’t forget that Howard killed Chuck

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I’ve never worked at a high powered law firm but I would assume nearly everyone at every firm higher up on the org chart than “person who does the filing” is worse than Howard is.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

christmas boots posted:

Kim drugging Howard without his consent is objectively worse than him sending her to doc review
objectively funnier

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ram dass in hell posted:

objectively funnier

Both can be true

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

don’t forget that Howard killed Chuck

chuck was killed by his own hubris

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

Howard is a lovely boss but a decent human being

He's a very wealthy corporate lawyer who put his firm's long term finances ahead of his client's wellbeing so nope. Also he has a NAMAST3 licence plate.

He didn't deserve either of the things that happened to him though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Huell killed Chuck

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Howard did things in the name of HHM that essentially any partner at a large, successful firm would have to do. He was a smarmy but good dude

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Is wanting to get the most money for his clients really such an unforgivable sin? The whole "they're old and need it now" bit is tinged with a looot of Kim rationalizing her own actions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nonexistence posted:

Is wanting to get the most money for his clients really such an unforgivable sin? The whole "they're old and need it now" bit is tinged with a looot of Kim rationalizing her own actions.

I think there is absolutely some truth to it, but it's also a case of rationalization

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I feel like Howard's job seriously colours people's opinions of him, which is pretty funny given almost everyone else is the show is tied up in cartel violence. The guy's a pompous rear end but Jimmy and Kim are the bad guys even before he gets shot and if he was anything other than a high powered lawyer people would see it.

Howard isn't perfect but him and Nacho are the only characters I'd go for a beer with. Maybe Mike if he promises not to be a Debbie Downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
sucks to be you cause me and badger would discuss Babylon 5 for hours