Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 49 - Do You? Should You?

Turns out this fight is a lot easier when you actually use Kimahri :v:

Even the game designers knew that nobody would actually use Kimahri, so Biran and Yenke's stats are adjusted based on his. It's possible to win this fight even if you haven't touched Kimahri before.

That said, there are so many good things to get from this battle. You can steal Key Spheres, and I think there are 5 or 6 different Ronso Rage abilities to copy. So it definitely helps to have Kimahri's survivability built up (and to have him learn Steal in advance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Are... are all the episodes going to end this way now?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

pointlessone posted:

Are... are all the episodes going to end this way now?

God, I hope so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of withyunabymyside

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/true-tales-from-localization-hell

quote:

Alexander O. Smith: Well, nobody really knew what they were doing, even on the Japanese side, and that led to one key miscommunication in the lead-up to the project. And, the miscommunication that happened was [voice director] Jack [Fletcher] had asked several months before the project began whether there was going to be ADR recording—to lip flaps, basically. And he was told by somebody—not at Square Japan but at Square Hawaii—who had been working as a go-between, that there would not be syncing to lips. And, the video that he had received at that point, a few months before we actually began recording, was indeed rough cut and didn’t have lip-flaps, or where it did they were garbage flaps that had nothing to do what was being said—the mouths were just moving randomly.

Essentially, it came down to having to rewrite the script to fit not just the lips, but also very, very strict length considerations. We had been aware of that when we were working on the original translation, but we didn’t realize how serious they were about not having the English voices go over the length of the Japanese voices at any point. Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash

On the topic of having to read lines insanely fast

quote:

[With] a ten-frame [line of dialogue], you can’t even say "yes" in ten frames. It’s thirty frames a second, so ten frames is a third of a second, and you can’t say the English word "yes." You can say the Japanese word hai in twelve frames, but you can’t say "yes" in twelve frames, because the "s" sound drags out. No matter what you do, you end up around 25 frames or something

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yes, Wakka definitely got sack-tapped at the end of Kelk's speech.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I did find the "horn on head" plan for Yuna's statue funny. As FF summoners traditionally have horns.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Let's Play Final Fantasy X: This Is Kimhari's Story

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Me and my big old grussy

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of having to read lines insanely fast
In addition to having the VAs read fast, some lines also got sped up in post production in order to fit into the available time, then autotuned back out of chipmunk voices

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 50 - Braska. BRASKA.

Just to be clear I don't want to be like, the alcoholic abusive narcissist and all that, I just want to be like post-Spira Jecht

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never knew about those two hidden chests.

Also if you wanna kill Bombs in my experience you want max Focus on Lulu or max Cheer. Auron with 5x Cheer can kill them fast enough.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The trick to killing Grenades easily is to use Mental Break. Once you do that an appropriately leveled Lulu can one-shot them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Small note about Wakka's Attack Reels - in case it was hard to tell, if you match all three reels, the number of attacks performed is doubled. So, if you get three x1 reels, you get 6 attacks instead of 3, and three x2 reels gets 12 attacks.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 50 - Braska. BRASKA.

Just to be clear I don't want to be like, the alcoholic abusive narcissist and all that, I just want to be like post-Spira Jecht

So, Sin?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I mean, I wouldn't say no

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 51 - Not The Best Showing

So loving sick of this guy

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh. This fight.

I rushed through the leadup area because I hated fighting those big dudes with too much HP. It ended badly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If I remember right I just filled out my summons overdrive gauges and had Yuna spam them. Sure he instantly gibs then after the overdrive, but it also takes his turn to do that so....it basically stun locked him while getting some big and free hits in.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

FoolyCharged posted:

If I remember right I just filled out my summons overdrive gauges and had Yuna spam them. Sure he instantly gibs then after the overdrive, but it also takes his turn to do that so....it basically stun locked him while getting some big and free hits in.

This is how you cheese most main story bosses in this game (assuming you have Yuna available for them). It takes a while to set up, but if you find yourself stuck then it's a viable method.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

On my current playthrough, I went in with some super-overpowered weapon abilities via the Monster Arena, and Seymour Flux was still a pain in the rear end.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

And the only item that adds true immunity to Zombie isn't available to steal until after you pass him. (Though maybe you might be able to get some from a Monster Hunting zone? A lot of spots are locked out, but the one that gives Candles of Life might be available.)

e: but I do kinda like that his whole thing is Death Will Release You, and then his weapon is use a life spell.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 8, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tomorrow's our last episode in the backlog, and I'm considering doing some grinding off screen before we record on Friday because the random encounters are getting difficult enough to piss me off. I'll likely do the bulk of the sphere gridding on screen, but don't be surprised if everyone has a bunch of AP suddenly

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

And the only item that adds true immunity to Zombie isn't available to steal until after you pass him. (Though maybe you might be able to get some from a Monster Hunting zone? A lot of spots are locked out, but the one that gives Candles of Life might be available.)

Really, the Zombie gimmick is the least threatening. If you stock up on Remedies or Holy Waters, you can usually cure it before the Full-Life hits.

The Dispel before the two-swords attack is, as seen in the video, is the real killer.

Danaru posted:

Tomorrow's our last episode in the backlog, and I'm considering doing some grinding off screen before we record on Friday because the random encounters are getting difficult enough to piss me off. I'll likely do the bulk of the sphere gridding on screen, but don't be surprised if everyone has a bunch of AP suddenly

This is going to sound unpleasant, but I'd suggest Monster Catching the Thunder Plains (which aren't that hard to get back to, though you do have to go all the way back down Gagazet) as well as the Calm Lands (which you have to do in order to catch all areas). The initial reward for doing so (99 Chocobo Wings, 80 of which can be used to give Auto-Haste to a piece of armor) is really, really good and will make things much easier.

The Calm Lands reward (which can put Deathstrike on a weapon, allowing you to chew through a high percentage of random encounters with great ease) is also very good, though not much help against bosses.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't know if I'll get to do that much grinding, Grace is on Trails of Cold Steel 3 and might bite me if I try to keep him away from his children

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I've seen that pre-boss cutscene more times than any other cutscene in any game. This boss is infamous for its difficulty and I have been on the receiving end of a good thrashing from it many times. Nowadays I know all the tricks to make it a cakewalk but man does Seymour Flux put out some damage. You've already discovered that he's weak to poison, which was absolutely loving mindblowing to me when I found that out. Like come on, all bosses are immune to status effects, why would you even try? But he's vulnerable to silence too which stops him from doing some things too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 52 - Oops All Dreams

I love this game

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

As you can see, poison and silence are the key here, and good job with the Mighty Guard, Shell reduces Total Annihilation's damage by half, making it survivable for your underlevelled/weirdly levelled party.

Poison did like 80% of the DPS in this fight for you. Sometimes I wreck this fight and I'm like "Was it ever really hard at all?" but no, watching this I'm reminded that if you don't know all the tricks, if you don't know to poison it you have to turn out a pretty crazy amount of damage, especially when he gets to lower health and starts spamming Total Annihilation. The silence lets you outright skip a lot of the fight's nastier mechanics too.

And by the way, Kimahri being your team's ace rules. He has been disrespected for too long. Love the crit Kimahri got to overkill Flux and really emphasise that point.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I realize I might be too late for the next recording, but just a really nasty gently caress You in the remastered version if you want to get the Celestial Weapons:

After you fight Yunalesca, you have to go down the back stairs, get teleported to the front, and then go back to them again to find a treasure chest with the Sun Crest before you leave. If you come back later, an ultra-hard super boss that they added will block the way, and good loving luck beating it without having all the Celestial Weapons. It's honestly complete bullshit the way they scattered the new challenge bosses around.

Also, well done beating Seymour! It's honestly been fun to see what it looks like to make actual use of Kimahri. Some game designer somewhere who came up with the idea for his flexible grid pathing is feeling warm and fuzzy.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And here's the big twist, which I really like. It's neat! It uses elements that have been established about the world so far, extrapolates them out into something bigger, and also turns some assumptions and expectations about the world on their head. It also cuts out the suggestions of time travel going on, thank gently caress.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I like how Tidus is basically an aeon. Maybe that's why you get to name him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You did it Dan, you defeated the roadblock of your childhood! Does it feel cathartic?
I liked how at the beginning of the episode you were basically discussion how silence never does anything useful.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

He really handles being told that he doesn't actually exist surprisingly well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gnoman posted:

He really handles being told that he doesn't actually exist surprisingly well.

Poor guy has so many problems he doesn't know how to react to a new one being dumped in his lap.

He climbed a whole mountain and still hasn't thought up a way to save his girlfriend from her imminent demise (to be fair, Rikku is way smarter than him and she also hadn't thought of anything)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will also point out, Kimahri's basic attack damage did get a ginormous boost in this fight due to that Talk increasing his strength. His strength goes up by 10 for the duration of the fight after that talk... and every point of strength makes a very visible difference in this game. Getting one of the 4 Strength Spheres on the grid is typically a huge boost to a character's damage. Kimahri got two and a half of those just for screaming "gently caress YOU" at Seymour.

But yeah, I would argue that while you really effectively neutered the worst of Seymour's stuff with all the Silence spam, I would argue against calling it cheese. Cheese tends to refer to some underhanded loophole workaround that strips all the difficulty out of something.

While silence-spam certainly fits most of that description, I wouldn't call it underhanded or unintended. If the devs hadn't wanted you to be able to Silence him out of all those spells, they would have slapped Silence onto his mile-long list of immunities. So as far as I'm concerned, they want you to silence him.

Also, a thought... if you hadn't silenced him... could you dispel his Reflect once he casts it, and get him to Flare himself?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Also, a thought... if you hadn't silenced him... could you dispel his Reflect once he casts it, and get him to Flare himself?

You absolutely can and it's very funny

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

BlazetheInferno posted:

But yeah, I would argue that while you really effectively neutered the worst of Seymour's stuff with all the Silence spam, I would argue against calling it cheese. Cheese tends to refer to some underhanded loophole workaround that strips all the difficulty out of something.

Seconded! Using the enemy's weakness against him isn't cheese, it's tactics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, Silence is fine. Cheese tactics would be Rikku's Trio of 9999 or getting every aeon's overdrive full so you just trot them out one after another. That latter strategy is how many people beat Seymour here.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

aeon spam was absolutely how i got through it in my teens yeah

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

The last time I played this back in the PS2 days I used the keyspheres you get for stealing from Biran and Yenke to get Yuna to Holy. It always did 9999 damage against Seymour.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 53 - A Big Fella

Why are all the fish immune to slow what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

"Fish" starts with F, "Fast" starts with F, you do the math. :byoscience: