Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is the Spotify app in Tesla cars designed by Tesla? I assumed it was maintained by Spotify.

I assume it is an internally developed test app that they intend to extract a framework from to eventually be used with other services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
In case anyone was wondering how insane the EV market is, I've been checking the usual suspects, Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc every once in awhile to see the value of my i3 for whenever my Mach-E is delivered.

I just had an offer for more than I paid for it. 4 years ago.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Three Olives posted:

In case anyone was wondering how insane the EV market is, I've been checking the usual suspects, Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc every once in awhile to see the value of my i3 for whenever my Mach-E is delivered.

I just had an offer for more than I paid for it. 4 years ago.

Thanks... Biden?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Qwijib0 posted:

96kbps ogg is going to be nigh indistinguishable from higher bitrates in a car. In a controlled listening test, it's only just perceptible to some of the population, ambient noise in a car will likely mask any differences.

This isn't a cracked fraunhofer mp3 codec from '98.

Fair point! I saw the low # and assumed it must be lovely, but compression has come a long way since the early 00’s

Eyes Only posted:

I don't use Tidal but I believe the 96kbps thing is an intentional choice to save on LTE bandwidth, so I suspect you wouldn't get high bitrate audio unless you download the music in advance while connected to wifi, or you wifi tether the car to your phone (which, to be fair, is an option).

I didn’t realize tethering via wifi was an option, so that likely negates the BT streaming anyway!

I don’t have one yet but preemptive

Eyes Only posted:

Elon stop being an edge lord loser and patch my car u fucker.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really am curious what Tesla will be like after musk explodes in a mars rocket. Will it implode because it doesn’t have their con artist figurehead, or will it be taken over by people who actually know how to run a car company.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really am curious what Tesla will be like after musk explodes in a mars rocket. Will it implode because it doesn’t have their con artist figurehead, or will it be taken over by people who actually know how to run a car company.

I hope the latter. I like my car, and I’d like to see where software updates and new models go when they’re driven by things like customer satisfaction and market research.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I personally don't want Google or Apple anywhere near my car.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sonic Dude posted:

I hope the latter. I like my car, and I’d like to see where software updates and new models go when they’re driven by things like customer satisfaction and market research.

Yeah a part of me thinks that there is a good chance some level heads will actually try and make it work instead of just vulture capitalists picking the bones because regardless of what a lot of people (including me) think of it’s shitlord head, it IS a really recognizable and positive brand in the minds of millions of people. I’d actually like to see what happens if it tightens up, actually has union representation, and less erratic decision making.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing about Apple after the Steve Jobs cult wound down was that they controlled a massive, probably at least 30% share of the cell phone market and were still pretty strong on laptops and music distribution, so they had more room to lose market share without going under in profitability.

And also the stock price itself was bouyed more by stellar product sales than by celebrity CEO cult.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Speleothing posted:

The thing about Apple after the Steve Jobs cult wound down was that they controlled a massive, probably at least 30% share of the cell phone market and were still pretty strong on laptops and music distribution, so they had more room to lose market share without going under in profitability.

And also the stock price itself was bouyed more by stellar product sales than by celebrity CEO cult.

gobbledygook post

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Once Tesla's share price returns to reality it seems extremely likely it'll be bought by an established car company.. Probably kept as its own brand under the umbrella of the parent corp but a lot of cross pollination.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

priznat posted:

Once Tesla's share price returns to reality it seems extremely likely it'll be bought by an established car company.. Probably kept as its own brand under the umbrella of the parent corp but a lot of cross pollination.

M3 will now refer to 2 BMW cars :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

M3 will now refer to 2 BMW cars :getin:

BMW will add an extra M, should it be the MM3 or the M3M??

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ford will own Tesla 100%.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Chrysler will buy Tesla and use them as their EV division so they can keep snorting coke and shoving hellcat engines into minivans

Real talk though: It’ll be like Geely or some other Chinese manufacturer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OldSenileGuy posted:

They also mentioned that this updated CarPlay was going to start rolling out late next year, which is kind of a downer.

Don't show me cool poo poo and then tell me I can't have it for two years!

Well by then my car will be paid off and I can start shopping again.

Also, Hi OSG! I haven't seen you around in ages.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The alternative is Ford and Chevrolet writing your software; I'd much rather have Apple or Google writing my software than loving Ford

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The alternative is Ford and Chevrolet writing your software; I'd much rather have Apple or Google writing my software than loving Ford

it speaks volumes that the best thing Ford ever did on the Infotainment front pre-CarPlay/Android Auto was SYNC, which was made by Microsoft and is basically A Windows.

And as you might imagine, running Windows on your car sucks dog poo poo through a paper straw, but it’s also better than everybody else’s attempt to make infotainment do more than the barest minimum.

the best systems of the past decade have been the ones that tried to do as little as possible and look pretty/work fast. Anything more than that (iDrive, etc) and it goes downhill fast

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think Tesla Spotify streams at low bitrates anymore, but perhaps you need both the premium subscription thing plus being logged in with your own Spotify account. It sounds ok to me, I use either that or bandcamp FLACs on USB. The app itself is very barebones though. No links from songs to artist, UI doesn't refresh properly etc.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

incidentally, i didn't spot hyundai and kia in the list of carplay partners

https://twitter.com/technosucks/status/1533866878887673856

wonder what that's about - maybe because they're already partners and these are just newcomers?

These are the brands which will support the new iteration of carplay with dash and console projection, anybody not in here will stick on console only carplay unless stated otherwise.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kliras posted:

incidentally, i didn't spot hyundai and kia in the list of carplay partners

https://twitter.com/technosucks/status/1533866878887673856

wonder what that's about - maybe because they're already partners and these are just newcomers?

So Audi made the cut but not VW or Skoda?

Eyes Only posted:

Physically the model Y is almost perfect.

Hahaha.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Makes sense since Audi runs their own infotainment system and not the same as the other MEBs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Eyes Only posted:

Physically the model Y is almost perfect.

I love my curvy hydrocephalic Model 3

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

The id.x series and the skoda/cupra variants use their dedicated infotainment deck which is buggy as hell on its own, i think they don't want to add more potential issues on top of it. I'm expecting EV users to be the core clientele of this new carplay iteration.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I mean I hope you don’t have an Android or iPhone in that case

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

It's easier to list which car conglomerates are not going to use android automotive. BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes and KIA-Hyundai.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
mercedes' logo is in the image - again, as you say, apple presented the partners in a stupid way when they should just have listed the partners alphabetically in text

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it speaks volumes that the best thing Ford ever did on the Infotainment front pre-CarPlay/Android Auto was SYNC, which was made by Microsoft and is basically A Windows.

And as you might imagine, running Windows on your car sucks dog poo poo through a paper straw, but it’s also better than everybody else’s attempt to make infotainment do more than the barest minimum.

the best systems of the past decade have been the ones that tried to do as little as possible and look pretty/work fast. Anything more than that (iDrive, etc) and it goes downhill fast

Ford hasn't used Windows Embedded for years because it is such dogshit, it's been QNX since Sync 3. And while the first few versions of iDrive were poo poo, it's been one of the best for about a decade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Polestar 3 announced!

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2022/06/2023-polestar-3-electric-suv-will-debut-this-october.html

Small hatchback crossover seems very similar to existing models. Has LiDAR sensors!

I may put down a deposit in October when it launches just to get in the line..

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Polestar 3 announced!

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2022/06/2023-polestar-3-electric-suv-will-debut-this-october.html

Small hatchback crossover seems very similar to existing models. Has LiDAR sensors!

if you squint real hard at it, it's almost maybe a wagon-ish thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

if you squint real hard at it, it's almost maybe a wagon-ish thing.

Yeah! Definitely slots right in alongside the iD.4, ioniq5, ev6, mach e and model Y. If it can hit the similar roominess of the model Y I think it’ll be a really strong contender.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't hate it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

mercedes' logo is in the image - again, as you say, apple presented the partners in a stupid way when they should just have listed the partners alphabetically in text

I posted brands without android automotive(the android as canbus level integration), not without carplay.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

These are the brands which will support the new iteration of carplay with dash and console projection, anybody not in here will stick on console only carplay unless stated otherwise.

Welp, I guess I know where I'll be looking for my next car

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The first small car on the MEB platform! Or is it an Alienware EV? :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzfdmpQz9w

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Polestar 3 announced!

Seems dope. I’ve been very happy with my 2 though I feel bad for the people who bought the 2021 model and had to wait nearly 2 years for the software to get up to par. My wife will kill me if I trade in the car again though so I’ll be keeping the 2 for a while longer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seems dope. I’ve been very happy with my 2 though I feel bad for the people who bought the 2021 model and had to wait nearly 2 years for the software to get up to par. My wife will kill me if I trade in the car again though so I’ll be keeping the 2 for a while longer.

I've been seeing a lot of Polestar2s around lately and they are really neat lookin' cars. If I was in the market for a sedan I definitely would have that at the top of my list.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I get waved down several times a week by people asking about my P*2. People really like the look of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've only been stopped to talk about my car once and it was a nice old couple who just really liked Kias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ola posted:

The first small car on the MEB platform! Or is it an Alienware EV? :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xzfdmpQz9w

This car should come with a 12 pack of Bawls in the back.

edit: I hadn't actually gotten to the end of the video where they show an "energy drink" in the cupholder :lmao:

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 8, 2022