Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

He'd almost certainly be sent out on loan for a year or three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The good news for Chicago is that they literally could not get any worse.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

trem_two posted:

He'd almost certainly be sent out on loan for a year or three

So you're saying they're Slo-playing his career

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's the appeal of being transferred to a high tier club in Eyrope if you're never going to play in regular matches?

I guess you get paid more to just exist?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

we should have a rule that if you lose to toronto fc you don't get to go to real madrid for at least 6 months

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Two thoughts:

1. Self-fulfilling prophecy with the quote that gave us the thread title?
2. What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFC/status/1531615657564962818

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP to a real one

Lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That is definitely A Choice, and they were really looking like having turned a corner too.

Honestly I can't think of who has a hot seat right now. Maybe Savarese or Vermes but they've both been around so long they must have a lot of rope. Sartini and Pineda have been utterly cursed by injuries, Neville seems to have figured out that Higuain was the problem, Losada and Almeyda have already been fired, Toronto and Seattle are clearly just Waiting for Summer...who else?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Two thoughts:

1. Self-fulfilling prophecy with the quote that gave us the thread title?
2. What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFC/status/1531615657564962818

That's crazy, especially since they are only 2 points out of a playoff spot, and the season isn't even halfway through.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's a :wtf: from me as well.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Star Man posted:

What's the appeal of being transferred to a high tier club in Eyrope if you're never going to play in regular matches?

I guess you get paid more to just exist?

If you're still young I'd wager there's also a thought that better coaching and higher level competition/squad in practice/peers can help ingrain better habits early.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/JohnHayesOnAir/status/1531739373875740675?s=19

I guess karol swiderski runs a mls team now

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hasn't even played a full season and didn't have to pay any expansion fees. David Beckham must be pissed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

I guess karol swiderski runs a mls team now

Following in the footsteps of Josef Martinez and, somehow, Chris Seitz?

I don't know why insane disciplinarian coaches seem to get fired based on player complaints more often in MLS than anywhere else but I guess the union has something to do with it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...and the Campeones Cup between NYCFC and 2021 Apertura/2022 Clausura LigaMX Winner (Atlas vs. TBD) in probably September.

Atlas won both the Apertura and the Clausura, so this match will be NYCFC hosting Atlas at Yankee Stadium on September 14, 7:20PM EST, with broadcasts on ESPN2 and Univision.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ya know, there hasn't been any recent chatter about the upcoming TV deals.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Edward Mass posted:

Are we screwed?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

MLS in the mud

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

There's been speculation but it's mostly been in podcast or substack form (this is the most recent I've seen). I don't think MLS is going to get the one-stop shop they (or maybe just some fans) dreamed of when they told all the teams to ensure their local deals expired this year, but it seems like some combination of ESPN/FOX/Apple TV are still in the mix somehow.

I still struggle to believe they're going to get the hoped-for massive increase in revenue but dude seems optimistic and I've seen TV execs do dumber things in my life.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/1534150836334600194?s=20&t=Ky8C79EZfJAT7kop_e__WA

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Guess Marsch doesn't have any hard feelings about Armas torpedoing the team he left him.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't think MLS is going to get the one-stop shop they (or maybe just some fans) dreamed of when they told all the teams to ensure their local deals expired this year, but it seems like some combination of ESPN/FOX/Apple TV are still in the mix somehow.

While I'd like a one-stop shop, I'm walking to give up that dream if it means I don't have to give any money to loving Apple.

e: Revs getting paid :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1533916666018537479

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 7, 2022

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

whypick1 posted:

While I'd like a one-stop shop, I'm walking to give up that dream if it means I don't have to give any money to loving Apple.

The Apple TV MLB broadcasts are beautiful though. Their cameras are something else.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

RIP Adam you were not very good at first but then became very good, I'll miss you.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Atlas bought DC United’s biggest DP bust of all time- Edison Flores. Morons, but thanks.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lol that the revs had legit Pretty Good attackers for a bit there and the Krafts couldn't wait to get rid of them before they could ask for decent wages

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Huh, I thought LAFC was trying to not be a retirement home team like the Galaxy.

https://twitter.com/chiellini/status/1536317598392061952

e: NYCFC keeps up their proud tradition of not keeping a manager for very long, Ronny Delia goes to Standard Liege in Belgium.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 13, 2022

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I don’t know if this was news already but I just went on the MLS website and apparently the new streaming partnership is a 10 year deal with Apple TV+ which includes league cup matches as well and some of the MLS next development league stuff. Apparently if you have season tickets to a team you get it as part of that. No blackouts at all.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cool, guess I'm resorting to piracy because I'm not giving any money to loving Apple.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Apparently they're still negotiating with TV stations but there won't be any ESPN/FOX/whatever exclusives, the Apple service will have Every Game, Everywhere, etc.

Some highlights from an industry news article:

quote:

MLS still is negotiating with linear TV networks, including ESPN and Fox. However, those games would not be exclusive to the broadcasters; they would simulcast with Apple. MLS execs said that Apple is not paying a straight rights fee for the package of rights. Rather, Apple is paying a minimum guarantee that sources say is worth $250M per year starting in ‘23. MLS will start to bring in more revenue as Apple sell subscriptions for a newly launched MLS subscription offering.

(...)

The main component of this deal, though, is a subscription service that will have every MLS game with no blackouts. The yet-to-be-named streaming service will live within the Apple TV app and will include every game, including ones that previously were part of national TV packages on ESPN, Fox and Univision and those that aired locally under individual club deals. The newly expanded Leagues Cup featuring every MLS and Liga MX club will also be included in the service, as will select MLS NEXT Pro and MLS NEXT matches. MLS and Apple execs said that they have not yet developed a price point for the service, but all MLS season-ticket holders will receive access to the package at no additional charge. MLS will produce all of its matches, something Garber said will require a “significant” investment, but will ensure consistency across the league and allow for more technological innovation.

(...)

Apple’s MLS deal will start next season, coinciding with a restructuring of the MLS schedule that will see most regular-season matches played on Saturday nights. Having a series of matches on Saturday nights with staggered start times will allow the league to offer a whip-around show akin to NFL Red Zone through its new streaming service and Apple TV+. There will still be some mid-week games, primarily on Wednesday nights. Some matches could be played in other time slots based on stadium conflicts or linear TV scheduling.

There's a lot of good things here, though I selfishly hope TSN will at least keep broadcasting the Canadian teams so I don't have to rejigger my subscriptions AGAIN. Guess that's it for my DAZN sub if they're losing both the PL and MLS in one year.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 14, 2022

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What an absolutely robbery from Big Donny Garber here, really benefitting from the streaming wars.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

10 years is way too long, they are getting screwed by the end of that deal. Glad we're getting the free access again for season ticket holders, that was nice with MLS Live.

Most games being on Saturdays will be really good, although that means either the season is going to be extended yet again, or they'll play through the international breaks, since there is no way they are reducing the number of games.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

binge crotching posted:

10 years is way too long, they are getting screwed by the end of that deal. Glad we're getting the free access again for season ticket holders, that was nice with MLS Live.

Most games being on Saturdays will be really good, although that means either the season is going to be extended yet again, or they'll play through the international breaks, since there is no way they are reducing the number of games.

Based on that article that Dallan posted it sounds like the amount they’re getting paid is going to scale based on subscriptions sold and the $250 quoted is a guaranteed minimum apple will pay, so in theory if MLS can scale this they do better too.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What an absolutely robbery from Big Donny Garber here, really benefitting from the streaming wars.

I LIKE MLS and I cannot believe they pulled a 250m+/year streaming deal, what in the world

quote:

I am once again asking for Decision Day first Saturday of November and run the playoffs entirely after the November international break.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 14, 2022

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

binge crotching posted:

That's under the assumption MLS viewership grows over 10 years, which uh, isn't really guaranteed considering the needle hasn't moved much in the previous 10 years.

Getting more money than La Liga, for a product that gets less eyeballs, that's incredible work from big Donny

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Sounds like a solid deal for MLS, but as someone who exclusively used Android products, gently caress

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The share of revenue over 250m actually makes that a really good deal then, especially it's a reasonable percentage. I of course didn't bother reading the article, I just saw 250m/10 years.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Curious how this will effect negotiations with ESPN and FOX. Surely they're gonna pull back a lot of the money offered if Apple is gonna stream the games regardless.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TwoStepBoog posted:

Sounds like a solid deal for MLS, but as someone who exclusively used Android products, gently caress

Apple TV is now on the Chromecast, if you didn't know that yet, if you don't have the new Chromecast, I can't recommend it enough

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Apple TV is now on the Chromecast, if you didn't know that yet, if you don't have the new Chromecast, I can't recommend it enough

Yeah the Chromecast with Google TV Apple app is quite good and the whole thing in general would be a steal at double the cost it currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TwoStepBoog posted:

Curious how this will effect negotiations with ESPN and FOX. Surely they're gonna pull back a lot of the money offered if Apple is gonna stream the games regardless.

I could see Fox Sports signing on, as they don't care about streaming cutting into their broadcasts. See: CanPL coverage.