Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brought To You By posted:

I honestly just think it's incredibly well written for manga and very much enjoy re-reading it. I can honestly say I occasionally learn new things when I come back to the story as well, especially the current arc.

I did when I learned about Shoot's ability because of the similarity in taking parts off a person but not automatically creating a wound. But the indoor fish guy is an absolute sadist, you aren't getting anything the fish eat and you're going to stay alive and aware as they feed since you don't feel any pain. The fish don't seem like Barracudas where they are fast and darting around. It seems like a pretty leisurely ability that would be used much like Chrollo did, against someone restrained or crippled. Makes me wonder if the reason they only exist in a sealed room is the same reason why Chrollo used it in an elevator. A kind of thrill knowing the simplest action will cause all that damage to instantly manifest if there's anything of the person not eaten by that time. And I do wonder if there couldn't be a clause to have the stuff the fish eat leave with them, like Shizuku's vacuum cleaner. Maybe the guy likes the mess, maybe that was also part of his torture, constantly having his fish eat bits of a guy then he sends them away. Lets the person feel and see what's gone before closing the window and starting again.

I can imagine that guy trying it on one of the spiders and Chrollo taking it purposefully to reuse it on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can imagine that guy trying it on one of the spiders and Chrollo taking it purposefully to reuse it on him

drat, being crippled permanently by your own power.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat, being crippled permanently by your own power.

I mean that's a great power to steal based on Chrollo's conditions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've said it before but I'll always love that Chrollo's power is essentially just, "If you explain your power to me, it's my power now," and because he lives in a shounen setting you just inherently appreciate how useful that is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Genthru from the Greed Island arc also had "if you listen to me explain my power, you're dead."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hunter X Hunter is one of the only series I remember where they realize telling someone your special power is a really loving stupid thing to do and so it’s used as either a trick (Gentru, Knuckle) or implicitly as a power boost with Chrollo making “my opponent has to know my nen abilities for my bookmark to work” as a feature.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Hunter X Hunter is one of the only series I remember where they realize telling someone your special power is a really loving stupid thing to do and so it’s used as either a trick (Gentru, Knuckle) or implicitly as a power boost with Chrollo making “my opponent has to know my nen abilities for my bookmark to work” as a feature.

Jujutsu Kaisen takes this from HxH and uses it for how cursed techniques work. if someone bothers to explain their power in-universe it makes that technique stronger against that opponent. Plus a couple of characters mislead their opponent by leaving out key nuances to their power so their opponent focuses on the wrong aspect.

Another series that does this is 'Battle in 5 seconds after Meeting' which is another series where information warfare is pretty heavily present as a concept. The Main character is given the power to have any power his target thinks he has and he really has to work that angle without having his trick revealed usually by playing off people's expectations or analysis of him or having a willing partner to smooth things over. But in addition to him there are dozens of characters that fudge the understanding of their powers and give out faulty explanations because again, the goal is to get someone to make the wrong assumption and eat poo poo because of it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
JJK especially with the newest arc is really feeling like a HxH match with how crazy and interesting powers can be and how they can be used and countered in fun ways. The newest guy who just turned up has been in maybe four chapters tops but his power is just a slam-dunk the same way Knuckle's was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
said JJK character’s power is also based on pachinko, whose rule sets are infamously convoluted, so when he activates his ability its explanation is forced into his opponent’s head all at once and leaves them disoriented

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Last Celebration posted:

RIP forever that Gin in Bleach ate poo poo

only character to come up with the tactic of "lie about what my power is so my opponent focuses on the wrong thing"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I've said it before but I'll always love that Chrollo's power is essentially just, "If you explain your power to me, it's my power now," and because he lives in a shounen setting you just inherently appreciate how useful that is.

Clarste posted:

Genthru from the Greed Island arc also had "if you listen to me explain my power, you're dead."

Yeah, that's Hxh in a nutshell. It's shonen, but Togashi also likes to playfully re-examine or reinterpret shonen concepts; or even famous shonen moments (Goku turnning to SSJ, Gon doing the same but with more consequences and in a more dramatic, impactful arc).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m sure there’s probably at least one other instance of it, but I still think Gon-san is the one instance I can recall of the protagonist’s powered up state capturing the tone of Super Saiyan; that is to say the mindset of Goku just snapping completely when his childhood friend got brutally murdered basically for shits and giggles and becoming a much different person too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1533283644227260416

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Clearly this means chapter 19 and not page 19

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Volume 19 done :rms:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

The real question is, are the chapters scribbles he drew on a napkin that have to be cleaned up in the volume release like he's done previously or is he actually drawing them properly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't care. i'll take scribbles at this point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

The real question is, are the chapters scribbles he drew on a napkin that have to be cleaned up in the volume release like he's done previously or is he actually drawing them properly.
It looks like he inked part or a panel for the June 3rd tweet. So looks like we won't be getting the CA treatment of Napkin scribbles. Or that one festival at the end of GI.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1533646413623529474

Maeda from Rokudenashi Blues, Sakuragi from Slam Dunk, Hyuga from Captain Tsubasa and Yusuke from YYH.

That's cool

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
All the sketches we get a glimpse of really do make it seem like Togashi can hardly even hold a pen these days. Like there’s no way he’s just making GBS threads it out with low effort to get a paycheck, because the poo poo that’s going on DOES have a lot of thought put into it.

These sketches are so rough but still look great.

Also I’m not sure if that tweet means three chapters or three volumes. Only time will tell.

I’ll say it again though, I’d be fine if Togashi just finished it up as a light novel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just have Murata spend his time illustrating HxH instead of redrawing the phoenix man fight for the third time

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
They could ask the other authors in Jump to draw chapters in a rotating schedule, make it like a magazine event. This week Horikoshi draws it, then Matsui, then the JJK mangaka (you'd have to phisycally restrain him to make him stop drawing HxH).

I don't think anybody would even say no, 1 week of talking to Togashi probably makes you a better mangaka than a lifetime of listening to Jump editors.

(Though his main advices would be not to draw a weekly manga, or to get a good contract, so Jump would never do this idea).

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
make it like soccer regulations, worst chapter of the week doesn’t get to take a break until it gets canceled

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1533646413623529474

Maeda from Rokudenashi Blues, Sakuragi from Slam Dunk, Hyuga from Captain Tsubasa and Yusuke from YYH.

That's cool

There's a story behind this image btw

https://twitter.com/HxHSource/status/1533657595810021377?s=20&t=WKY1ICir_OJAJNoMT3XVXw

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also to the people saying let someone else draw/write HxH, it's pretrty obvious that Togashi has a lot of pride as an artist, and he doesn't want to let anyone tell the story but him, at least while he's still alive and kicking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Julias posted:

Also to the people saying let someone else draw/write HxH, it's pretrty obvious that Togashi has a lot of pride as an artist, and he doesn't want to let anyone tell the story but him, at least while he's still alive and kicking.

Yeah this is clearly the thing. Togashi also clearly enjoys it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Julias posted:

I think one of his old assistants made a strip about his time working under Togashi and he straight up asked the man why he doesn't allow anyone to ink the characters. Togashi's response was that he'd cease to be a mangaka if he did. I'll find the relevant page later but yeah, the man has a lot of pride in doing his own work.

edit: Here's the pages. This was back when Togashi was working on YYH and not much seems to have changed on this front.

Manga is called Sensei Hakusho

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 6, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I think one of his old assistants made a strip about his time working under Togashi and he straight up asked the man why he doesn't allow anyone to ink the characters. Togashi's response was that he'd cease to be a mangaka if he did. I'll find the relevant page later but yeah, the man has a lot of pride in doing his own work.

edit: Here's the pages. This was back when Togashi was working on YYH and not much seems to have changed on this front.

Manga is called Sensei Hakusho

It's pretty enjoyable so far.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is it just me or does the way togashi's drawn look a lot like franky in spy x family

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He is scruffy.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

that office furniture is not particularly ergonomic :colbert:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

bees x1000 posted:

that office furniture is not particularly ergonomic :colbert:

It's more the workload. Humans just aren't really suited to spending multiple hours sitting down and sitting still. Just getting up every hour for a few minutes is a big improvement.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't care. i'll take scribbles at this point.

Yeah I don't even notice when he goes full page text scroll because honestly Nen is getting complex to the point where it's kind of necessary

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

skipmyseashells posted:

I never knew togashi wanted to do a gay cross dressing sports series before level E

I'm sure this isn't new, but I'm happy to see validation from Togashi that all of the queer-rear end characters in HxH probably are queer.

I figured as much after how explicit he was with Alluka, but still, it's nice to know.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a G

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This was amusing to find on the Internets.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Another title for the Chimera Ant arc is just "Ses Amis en Vacances."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Weren't the Royal Guards all named after characters from another children's book?

EDIT: From that children's book exactly, it turns out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know who Youpi and Pouf are but who the hell is Pilton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh.

Wait.

It's Pitou.