Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, they're just calling it Web3.0 to make it sound like this huge revolution that you won't want to miss out on, ultimately it's all meant to pump the value of crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There are no examples because it's a completely dumb idea. The core ideal behind 'Web3.0' is a return to a mythical decentralised internet, like 'Web 1.0' was where individuals had "ownership" of their own web presence by either being an enthusiast who ran a webserver at home or had a Myspace or Geocities site; except now it'll all use blockchains for some reason (the reason is because otherwise there's no use for cryptocurrency in it) and no companies will be able to exert their influence because cryptocurrency is immune to the mechanics of capitalism despite being pure distilled capitalism.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So, the president of El Salvador invested heavily in Bitcoin and now the country might have to default. Think they will parade his corpse through the streets?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Sounds like someone doesn't believe in the volcano cryptocurrency city.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lammasu posted:

So, the president of El Salvador invested heavily in Bitcoin and now the country might have to default. Think they will parade his corpse through the streets?

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1526029996787216387

He invited banking authorities from every tax haven and sketchy economy to a big gala about why they should adopt bitcoin as legal tender a few days ago :kiddo:

e: the "benefits in his country" he mentioned include things like less than 2% of the country ever logging in to or interacting with their state-sanctioned wallets and him stealing millions, lmao.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 20, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Finally, Microsofts next acquisition target, countries

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A momentous day in the world of NFT gaming.

https://twitter.com/brycent_/status/1533740494299217920?s=20&t=l4iPyPQadM0s_UR6naO43A

Gameplay!

https://twitter.com/brycent_/status/1533761444986200064?s=20&t=rc06guwJb5C4KJyvXDng2Q

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You meaning to tell me that all these people slobbering about NFTs have no clue about how to make a game?! Gasp!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Now that I think about it, dropping all the cryptobros on an island and forcing them to fight to the death is a good idea.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Samovar posted:

You meaning to tell me that all these people slobbering about NFTs have no clue about how to make a game?! Gasp!

They know how to dress up an old game in the Emperor's New Clothes and try to asset-flip their way to success.
https://twitter.com/lizaledwards/status/1533852224064851968?t=V8JX06lvZZoEdq9N1UpSgw&s=19

We've come full circle with the real money Horse Armor saga that Oblivion started

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The "gameplay" video is a static character and a guy going "Now imagine playing Fortnite"

Web3 can't come quick enough!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Popete posted:

The "gameplay" video is a static character and a guy going "Now imagine playing Fortnite"

I'm imagining it

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Oh God, it's at a NFT gaming convention.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hey Anyone at Stadia, turn my Video games into NFTs its already a digital asset posted:

or at least on a secondary market, if the platform is going to just to be in limbo, give some people the option to turn their game into NFTs, it's not like its not possible its doable with ERC-721 token (smart contract) might as well give people the options.

OP posted:

oh jee thanks, and i see the internet shows a bunch of kdis who have no clue what NFTs are thanks for showing ignrance, stadia a dying platform with games i barely play so it makes sense to turn the digital games into NFTs and they let us sell it back to them to recoup a loss.

OP posted:

NFTs aren j.pegs kid , theyre State ID and social secuirty forms, dont worry ill make sure google looks at my ERC-721 contracts.

OP posted:

you should go to school and learn financial literacy, seriously.

OP posted:

seeing the amount of ignorance here, i'm going to work on a smart contract using solidity, i'm going to turn stadia games into NFTs i want my money for half of the games on the platform and i know for a fact its possible. You, people, are weird and need to stop cherry-picking thinking NFTs are just stupid monkey pics, stadia games are digital assets, theyre living in the google ecosystem and we can get our money if they turn the entire game into NFT. God bless all of you.

OP posted:

sir look into blockchain and NFTs specifically ERC-721 smh im turning my games into NFTs youre just jabbering nonse, its 2022 the internet has changed, NFTs arent just stupid j.peg photos they arent scams, they are fungible / nonefungle tokens aka you can turn airplane seats into NFTs, you can turn state IDs and even digital games, Stadia platform has no upcoming games its a dying platform, and im going to show how i can get refund back by turning my games into NFTs, stop hating and grow up.

OP posted:

no sir not sketchy at all, i even work with a company creating NFTs, its not just a j.peg its digital objects, gee idk like stadia games. educate yourself before talking crap sir

OP posted:

give me a week, im going to show the community and every gamer here using Python and solidity to create an ERC-721 contract, im going to turn the games into NFTs grow up this is the future, especially for digital games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Oh God, it's at a NFT gaming convention.

lol

Are all the key note presentations just Unity store assets being spun around in a model viewer asking the audience to imagine every other game ever all combined into one?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I looked up this convention and :lol:

Galaverse posted:

The Details
  • There will not be daily tickets, one ticket for the entire event (hotel included)
  • Only 800 tickets will be available
  • Cost is $8000 for a single or $14,800 for a couple (with shared room)
  • Limited to 2 tickets
  • There will be no companion tickets
  • Air travel is not included.

But you have to meet the criteria to be selected to this exclusive event!

quote:

Applications will be reviewed and accepted in the following order:
  • Prior Galaverse attendees
  • Gala Founder’s Node Owners
  • Gala Gold Members
  • Gala Town Node Owners or Gala Music Node Owners
  • Gala NFT owners

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Popete posted:

So I looked up this convention and :lol:

But you have to meet the criteria to be selected to this exclusive event!

For something that's supposed to empower the gaming masses it sure seems picky on who gets to see it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lammasu posted:

For something that's supposed to empower the gaming masses it sure seems picky on who gets to see it.

Wouldn't want any dissenting voices getting into the echo chamber.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Classic confidence scam - it costs a lot of money but you're only allowed to buy it because you're special (for having already spent a lot of money)

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

'nfts scam' + 'if we only got 1% of fortnites market share' = that dumb cowboy game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Philman posted:

'nfts scam' + 'if we only got 1% of fortnites market share' = that dumb cowboy game.

That's the funny part about NFT scam games, the game part is a complete after thought. They pitch it as "It's like game X and Y and whatever else is popular currently all combined into one" but they never explain why I would want to play their shittier version of Fortnite over just playing actual Fortnite.

I've always said the one thing holding back Fortnite is the lack of cowboy hats with unique serial numbers stamped into the leather.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another solid laugh. Like I kinda get the appeal of what's being dreamed about here in a weird way, just there's no reason it has to be done in this dumb loving way.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Jesus, that sounds loving horrifying.

"Hey, want to play this space game? You need to grind for stuff in this fantasy game. Oh, you want to actually get anywhere in this fantasy game? You need to grind this match-3 game so your buddy who spent two loving years grinding can make you something (unless you need it for this other stupid bullshit in a completely unrelated game), and also it'll take an hour for him to do, and also there's a lot of waiting because shut up."

This sounds like some crypto-huffing fucknozzle who hasn't played an actual video game since the early 2000s.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's honestly one of the strongest arguments against crypto games I've ever read.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Every cryptoturd's idea for a web3 blockchain game now means that every game is pay-to-win. And theoretically you could take your $1000 you invested in the first game, sell all your poo poo after a year of playing, and put it all in to another game until you get bored of that one too. Once game companies realize they won't be making any revenue except transaction fees they're gonna reverse course quickly lol

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://twitter.com/CharlesWriteNow/status/1533931449895768064?s=20&t=a2PKFIWb350dgsUSoqLcsA

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
A man that suggests in game crafting taking hours is broken on the inside.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the "only" thing holding back cross-game inventories or whatever is the fact that exactly zero devs or companies want to do it

for all kinds of reasons

but when I really, truly, think about it? Imagine a dev balancing something slightly in their own game (nerf, buff, it don't matter) and then causing cascading drama across an arbitrary number of gambling investment communities for devaluing their item because of knock on effects in who knows how many other games

it'd be the purest comedy

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't think any of that is supposed to be "fun" because the point is to make money by gambling on crypto poo poo. They're basically describing all the fancy animations and flashing lights on the screen of a slot machine.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Anno posted:

Another solid laugh. Like I kinda get the appeal of what's being dreamed about here in a weird way, just there's no reason it has to be done in this dumb loving way.

the litrpg threads are in the book barn

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's nothing I love more about playing video games than logging in to check a real time cooldown then immediately exiting to do something else.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

There's nothing I love more about playing video games than logging in to check a real time cooldown then immediately exiting to do something else.

Isn't that EVE Online?

Elder Scrolls Online is bad enough with how you learn crafted equipment traits (inherent stat bonuses). The first trait takes six real life hours to learn per item category (one-handed swords, daggers, helmets, belts, etc.) and then doubles for each trait after that. So six, 12, 24, 48, 96, 192 hours, up to 30+ real life days for the final trait. There are 21 armor categories (three armor "weights" with seven pieces each), 12 weapons types, and two jewelry types with nine traits each so researching them all could take over a real life year year. So of course you can buy "Instant Research" scrolls in the cash shop to speed things up. Luckily you can max out all crafting professions on a single character and then ignore crafting on your alts.

Same goes for leveling up the three stats of your character's mount/riding "skill": Speed, Inventory, and Stamina. Each stat has a maximum of sixty and you start at zero. You can level up one skill a day by a single point with a small amount of in-game currency so getting a single character fully leveled will take about six real life months. And again there are "Skill Books" in the cash shop that speed this way up. This is one of the reason I have not created a new character in while as mounts feel bad unless you stats have been leveled enough.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Forcing you to check in every day for "daily quests" and whatnot is a pretty standard way of forcing engagement. The idea being that even if you find it unpleasant, it still ensures that you remember the game exists.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That’s what I want, as a company: a failure Cascade with someone hacks the currency in one game, and then can spend it elsewhere, requiring full rollbacks of every game connected. Meanwhile, i’ve created a used game market for my own catalog for no reason, so instead of selling discounted games or bundling them for sales on steam, I get 0% of new sales.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh, here's some other concerns that, of course, no crypto dipshit thought of.

There were games for the XBox 360 that people would buy and play just because they gave easy gamerscore, one example being Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth, which I am just assuming was mediocre at best but that's not the point, the point is that you could get a perfect score on the game within a few minutes. Now imagine an ecosystem where people had a direct financial incentive to create and sell these games.

It talks about "you can play these other games to get stuff in other games," and it was touched upon, but something like it has already happened. Remember when Blizzard offered people Overwatch skins for playing Heroes of the Storm? Remember how people played just enough Heroes of the Storm to get their skins and then bailed forever because they didn't want to play a loving MOBA? I am sure that the people there to actually play a MOBA were also not thrilled with the rush of people who neither knew nor cared how to actually play and were basically dragging down the experience for the people actually there to play.

Hell, I don't even need to leave Blizzard for examples of this and you can find an example without having to go to other games. Blizzard had a seasonal event called "Children's Day," and getting all of the shinies required doing stuff in PVP, things like "capture the flag" or "pick up a dropped flag," and the people who were there just to get those achievements were not doing things like "try to actually win." It was, needless to say, incredibly disruptive and unpopular due to the PVPers resenting the achievement hunters loving up the game and all the achievement hunters resenting the incredibly difficult to get achievements that required doing poo poo that makes winning less likely, since one of the achievements you needed was "return a captured flag," and you can't return a flag that doesn't get captured, so you'd let people take the flag, and then everyone would race to kill that guy, and then race to click the flag (one person would get it and be done with this horseshit). They recently removed the PVP achievements after twelve years of people talking about how lovely it is.

And these are just a few examples off the top of my head about how "do this other thing you don't want to do so you can do the thing you can" is horrible and disruptive, and doesn't get into the fact that the ability to do this kind of poo poo already exists, since the recent crop of Pokemon games can share Pokemon with each other. And there's the often brought up "TF2 hats" thing.

And even then, this is all making the incredibly generous assumption that these games just talk to the blockchain, rather than being run on the blockchain, which is immutable and unpatchable and surely that can't have any problems.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Anno posted:

I mean, who doesn't dream of having to grind their MMO crafting materials in Candy Crush?

And in classic cryptobro fashion, there's still no explanation for why those mechanics require the use of a blockchain. Or why gaming companies would want to incentivise you to play the competition's games instead of theirs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

5% is not a low drop rate; an uncountable number of such things would exist before the closing of the first day and crash any market they would be entered into.

Also lol at the idea of geometrically increasing the amount of busywork a dedicated player would need to do to stay competitive.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The end game of that scenario is a select few super "clans" would dominate all of gaming by having a bunch of members online grinding 24/7 meaning that any individual player would never achieve anything as far as item progression goes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
These people have no loving clue how loving goddamn crazy they sound. Nothing. Not ONE thing in that sounded fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The more I read it the more it looks like a veiled approximation of what Axie Infinity had going on: a cabal of patrons staked the entrance cost of players in exchange for a cut of the proceeds, recreating from scratch an employee-employer relationship.