Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.

So uuuh, how about that Fable huh? There's apparently a live action movie too, anyone watch it?

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The Fable continues to be so good. I think the resolution to the previous build up was unexpected for me and I love adding 2 more assassins into the mundane world, Azami's reactions have been great.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Jerkface posted:

2 more assassins into the mundane world, Azami's reactions have been great.
well, its to be expected from a pro

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Ringo Roadagain posted:

heres some stuff, not all of which has come out in the past decade, but have all been fully translated since then

bakuon rettoun https://mangadex.org/title/a6c80411-273d-42ac-adf3-84b468304817/bakuon-rettou
a serious manga about the bosozoku biker gangs in early 80s japan

Amazing, beautiful manga.

quote:

RED: Living on the Edge https://mangadex.org/title/26c2e38a-8660-41a9-ab4f-a3ebdc7fdc1c/red-living-on-the-edge
action manga set in post civil war america about a native american on a quest for revenge against the men who wiped out his tribe. a lot of real badass pages

I kinda bounced off this. Felt real cartoony to me. R18 Shounen rather than Seinen. Just my opinion.

Already mentioned Alice in Hell earlier, but just read Ichigeki, and it's crazy that this was written by the same person. It's more grounded, coherent, the art is much cleaner. It really felt like a period piece, a vignette of that part of Japan's history, but also crude and violent. All the characters were great.

Checking out the rest of the stuff on the list as well.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 28, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Me reading Fable:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1534023574574747648?t=L44M1r74n8EILuXBo_zOUA&s=19

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1534023887411118085?t=L44M1r74n8EILuXBo_zOUA&s=19

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1534023434174627840?s=21&t=aD11A3Hm38iuIJTF46_w-A

Berserk is back

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

holy poo poo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
What. :staredog:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What i the actual? I don't know how I feel about this.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i think it rules

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Woah, I am cautiously optimistic.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its sounds like a heartfelt attempt by his friends to finish the work he started, so I'm hopeful about this turning out good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Did the author leave behind info information so they can continue properly? On one hand I wouldnt mind seeing where this goes but it also kinda makes sense to let this series rest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mindblast posted:

Did the author leave behind info information so they can continue properly? On one hand I wouldnt mind seeing where this goes but it also kinda makes sense to let this series rest.

Maybe read the twitter post and you'll have your answer!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The answer is no to save some time

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Says he shared a bunch of ideas and stories with his artist friend so that's all still in his head. He left it in one piece.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 8, 2022

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RatHat posted:

Maybe read the twitter post and you'll have your answer!

Yeah I didn't notice the tekst was readable. It was small on my screen and I should've looked better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man what a loving chapter for the new volume of the fable to end on

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

Man what a loving chapter for the new volume of the fable to end on

The chapter "Lonesome Man..." had it all the last words, wearing the cosplay, amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just finished reading Search and Destroy. Seems like this is the best place to discuss it, so might as well lay things out.

It's a version of Dororo set in a dystopian future rather than a dystopian past. Apparently, it started in 2019 for the same anniversary as the Mappa anime. It also has a female Hyakkumaru, which has a much less notable impact on the plot. (While Hyakkumaru's relationships with his parents, his family, and various strangers was important to the anime iteration released around the same time, this version has a protagonist who basically has no connections to the world other than Doro).

Right away, the change from demons to robots makes the central conflict messier. A deal with the devil is convenient narrative shorthand, and "why do demons want a kid's arm?" is easily answered with "They're assholes.", this has robots getting human parts because (???), with vague talk about only being able to feel real pain from human arms and similar, and the eventual explanation that it was to somehow force loyalty from them, which only makes less sense than the whole feelings initial response.

What's more, demons are demons. They can be killed without remorse, will do horrible things for kicks, and generally are simple. You can add in complications when the story benefits (like having one show empathy, or to show off a human being even worse than the embodiments of evil) but you don't have to. Robots in Search and Destroy, meanwhile, are really incoherent. They're programmed, but they seem to have complete free will. They're an oppressed underclass, but they're also the powerful overclass that can slaughter humans at will, they're inherently superior, but they're constantly breaking down... there's no clear angle for them. A protagonist is revealed to be a robot without ceasing to be a protagonist, but the robot underclass rises up to slaughter humanity with the implication they'll exterminate the human race in the pending war... there doesn't seem to be a clear idea what they're doing in the plot, beyond forming a background story that doesn't have much to do with the main story.

This builds up to one of the most confusing twists, where it turns out one of the parts removed from Hyakku was... her brain. Which was installed in a robot. And also it has a terminal brain tumor. It makes the whole story more confusing without adding any narrative or thematic depth. You think that moving a plot about cyborgs from the samurai era to the cyberpunk future would make it more coherent, but that's really didn't pan out.

Thematically, the afterward talked about how the story was meant to focus around the power of rage. But... it really didn't do anything with it, beyond vaguely being in favor. Generally, stories about rage go into benefits and drawbacks, that the same feelings that can keep someone alive can also kill them. Here, there's no real examination of rage, or what other drives can people going, or how rage can lead to positive changes, or what causes rage as opposed to despair, or any of it. It's just the protagonist being suggested to be too angry to die, but not angry enough to kill her father.

At least it's short. 18 chapters and out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Chapters 63 & 64 of Record of Ragnarok have dropped on Mangadex. Seventh fight is over. Holy poo poo, what a way to end it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mindblast posted:

tl:dr the guy taking over was Miura's best friend for 25+ years and Miura would constantly bounce ideas off him for how to progress/end the series.

They're in a tough spot between "finish Miura's dream" and "don't betray Miura's wishes" with the new writer promising not to do anything to the story he doesn't directly remember from talking with Miura.

Can't think of a good example of something similar being done well. The most famous one I know of are the Dune prequels, where Frank Herbert's exhaustive notes turned out to be a few scrawled pages or something like that.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I Am Fowl posted:

Chapters 63 & 64 of Record of Ragnarok have dropped on Mangadex. Seventh fight is over. Holy poo poo, what a way to end it.

Well, that's what happens when you just spam the same move.

What a conclusion though. Loved it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

tl:dr the guy taking over was Miura's best friend for 25+ years and Miura would constantly bounce ideas off him for how to progress/end the series.

They're in a tough spot between "finish Miura's dream" and "don't betray Miura's wishes" with the new writer promising not to do anything to the story he doesn't directly remember from talking with Miura.

Can't think of a good example of something similar being done well. The most famous one I know of are the Dune prequels, where Frank Herbert's exhaustive notes turned out to be a few scrawled pages or something like that.

Brandon Sanderson finishing the Wheel of Time probably? It was fairly well received overall

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

First time i've been a surprised by an outcome.

Great fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zore posted:

Brandon Sanderson finishing the Wheel of Time probably? It was fairly well received overall

Yeah but Sanderson had the fact that the original author knew it was going to happen so worked with him to prepare the series for the end. Even if most the details were Sanderson himself

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Is anyone aware if there's any discussion or articles written etc about the more recent history of the manga industry, or about manga that younger mangaka frequently cite as inspirational to them? I posted it here because seinen in particular is my favorite demographic. It's pretty easy to find discussion on the literary influences of any given author but I don't think it's the same case for manga. I'm thinking more recently ie from the 80s onwards, less about Osamu Tezuka or Golgo 13.

I mean Berserk is obviously on that list, just thinking about the flood of tributes to Miura after his death. I'm sure Urasawa and Takehiko Inoue could be there for their classics as well, but what about marginally less obvious stuff? Was Gunm hugely popular in the 90s? What about Trigun? How frequent is it that a manga does reasonably well in Japan but really explodes with its western audience?

I had never realized how popular the works of Yumi Tamura were until I saw the chart in this post and noticed Do Not Say Mystery was her latest. (although it was pretty obvious, Basara was huge and I haven't read 7 Seeds but I know it at least went on for many years)

I guess reading lists of past winners of major manga awards could give me some insight into this as well, maybe one day I'll try to do some research.

sidenote: pretty interesting that Basara and Gunm started in the same year and share their vision of the future as a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland, seems like a popular aesthetic in the 90s

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Post apocalypse was the isekai of the 90s. See also: Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star).

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Good example and from quite a few years earlier as well, Hokuto no Ken probably helped make it the isekai of the 90s, lol

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
mangabrog is dead, but if you haven’t read through it before, it’s well worth the trouble

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

I had never realized how popular the works of Yumi Tamura were until I saw the chart in this post and noticed Do Not Say Mystery was her latest. (although it was pretty obvious, Basara was huge and I haven't read 7 Seeds but I know it at least went on for many years)

7 Seeds is great, but I think it was in a shoujo magazine. Very different from anything else I've read; the whole "fantastical sci-fi plot, but told with a primary focus on the relationships within a very large cast of characters" thing it does is very compelling.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Coaaab posted:

mangabrog is dead, but if you haven’t read through it before, it’s well worth the trouble

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! Awesome find.

Ytlaya posted:

7 Seeds is great, but I think it was in a shoujo magazine. Very different from anything else I've read; the whole "fantastical sci-fi plot, but told with a primary focus on the relationships within a very large cast of characters" thing it does is very compelling.

I've read the first few chapters a couple times over the years and never got into it, but didn't dislike what little I saw. I knew it was shoujo though, didn't mean to imply Yumi Tamura was a seinen author.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tosk posted:

Another thing you could look at is naoki urasawa's manben, where urasawa profiles an active mangaka (from across the spectrum of genres) and details their process and then urasawa interviews the artist over the footage of them drawing. only exists as fansubs (no idea how they got that domain name) and they've not quite caught up (looking forward to the one profiling hideki arai)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

I've read the first few chapters a couple times over the years and never got into it, but didn't dislike what little I saw. I knew it was shoujo though, didn't mean to imply Yumi Tamura was a seinen author.

It takes a while to get into. I'd at least keep going until you reach the point where it introduces one of the other groups. The first PoV chatacter is kind of boring early on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nice to have some old man anime

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1538540459710156802?t=sqioGXUiEpW_d2lSG13e0Q&s=09

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it reminds me a lot of 24.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The seemingly rare manga where yakuza are apparently scumbags like in real life instead of cool guys

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

finally reading bokko and it loving rocks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am glad this thread already discovered :nws:Rosen Garten Saga:nws:. I just found it a few days ago courtesy of the panels thread and I was about to Kramer in here and drop a link.

It is so magically stupid and badass. It's not every day you see a manga totally nail "kickass" and "horny" separately and less common to see one nail them both together. Rosen Garten accomplishes the rare feat of nailing both AND having them compliment each other in a way that enhances both the story and the characters. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat, everyone is a sex pervert, everyone is lovable except Takeru so far, EVERYONE IS A BADASS. :hellyeah:

Seriously thinking about making a thread for this. It is too good not to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rosen Garten Saga is all anime, including and especially the bad anime