Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

racing sale on steam nothing majorly on sale that I don't already have.

Illegal race tuning is on sale for .49 tho so get that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I picked up WRC10 last night, and am really enjoying it. I appreciate that each country has the long Rally version where it's all courses together in one race.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've also been playing a ton of WRC10. Game is hard and I don't really think it does a good job of integrating the systems outside of the driving, but it's a blast and it does a great job with weather IMO.

Anyone else find the night stages are impossibly dark even with headlights on? Is there some other switch that isn't "headlights" that actually turns on the stage spec massive rally lights? I've been to night rallies IRL and those lights basically make it look like it's noon in front of the car so I dunno what's going on. I have all the display settings maxed and my black point etc is fine on the monitor.

Found a new use for the sim rig today:

https://i.imgur.com/beBU2Y0.mp4

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone else find the night stages are impossibly dark even with headlights on? Is there some other switch that isn't "headlights" that actually turns on the stage spec massive rally lights? I've been to night rallies IRL and those lights basically make it look like it's noon in front of the car so I dunno what's going on. I have all the display settings maxed and my black point etc is fine on the monitor.

WRC games tend to have broken in-car cameras at night. Switch to hoodcam, it's really your only option other than blowing out brightness in settings, which will look terrible.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Decided to snag WRC10 on the weekend sale as well. Had a lot of fun getting a chance to play it last night. Driving feels good, especially the tarmac compared to DR2. Outside the driving, things feel a tad clunky but oh well--especially the skill point screen bugging out (couldn't change selection) multiple times forcing me to back out and re-enter to work.

Also, I think I encountered a trap setting the rally length to realistic--which made my first one 10 stages which was super repetitive (including same stage, same direction multiple times). Maybe that's in part due to starting in Junior WRC which doesn't appear to have done longer stages mentioned.

Really hope that Codies getting the WRC license includes them looking at the competition so WRC 2023 or whatever they call it is a fantastic hodge podge of this (more detailed career, way better tarmac physics, better/more stages and rallies) and DR2 (VR, way better gravel physics, better graphics/sound).

shortspecialbus posted:

WRC games tend to have broken in-car cameras at night. Switch to hoodcam, it's really your only option other than blowing out brightness in settings, which will look terrible.

Thank you for this pro tip, even if it's super annoying to hop over to hood for every night stage--especially after I turned off all the HUD elements as distracting noise that slows me down (like in DR2) and can no longer see what gear I'm in.

In unrelated news, got a new job making a bunch more money which has me thinking of upgrading my Thrustmaster T-150. :retrogames: Looks like the CSL DD is very out of stock so that tempers things unless others have hopped aboard the affordable direct drive train. Was also thinking about a proper shifter/handbrake while doing rally last night since rotating paddles and push-button handbrake suck in rally--Fanatec shifter/handbrake seem crazy expensive for what it is.

bUm fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 1, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Besides iRacing, what is everyone's go to version of Circuit de la Sarthe? With the 24 Hours of Le Mans happening this month, I wanted to get in some VR racing on that track.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

bUm posted:

Looks like the CSL DD is very out of stock so that tempers things unless others have hopped aboard the affordable direct drive train.

Gran Turismo branded version is in stock (for now), otherwise it's just the very new to the scene Moza DD which is apparently the equal of Fanatec, but is its own ecosystem and doesn't have the track record. But they do have stock!

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 1, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Besides iRacing, what is everyone's go to version of Circuit de la Sarthe? With the 24 Hours of Le Mans happening this month, I wanted to get in some VR racing on that track.

Sorry I'm dumb, is that the actual track that Le Mans is raced on? I thought the circuit itself was called Le Mans.

I actually have been trying to learn that track now because it just seems such a perfect fit and thematically correct for the lmp2 I love driving.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I said come in! posted:

Gran Turismo.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I finally got my G29 set up on a stand and this is so much drat fun. I played some Assetto Corsa and marvelled at how poo poo I am at racing games when I'm not using a controller, but I think I'm getting used to it pretty quickly. I completely understand now how someone can end up spending a shitload of money improving their setups.

Is there a trick to making AC's UI usable from the on-wheel controls? I hate having to hunch over to my mouse whenever I want to adjust something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry I'm dumb, is that the actual track that Le Mans is raced on? I thought the circuit itself was called Le Mans.

I actually have been trying to learn that track now because it just seems such a perfect fit and thematically correct for the lmp2 I love driving.

Circuit Le Mans is the main permanent facility I believe, the one that has the Bugatti Circuit that MotoGP uses and no-one likes. The full track with public roads added that the 24h happens on is Circuit de la Sarthe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bentai posted:

Gran Turismo.

The GT7 version has a multiplayer track day variation too, so you can just start driving on it and other players can randomly join you.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My ability to spin during a race on a corner that's never given me a hint of trouble in practice is amazing.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
“I’ve literally never spun there before in hours of practice” is heard at least once every single race with the discord crew.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

"loving tire model"

"loving curb model"

I gotta start using "loving CSL LC brake pedal with a 0.02% variation in recorded force sometimes"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

What's with the tube?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

What's with the tube?

He does endurance races... Never ask a gamer about his tube.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

GutBomb posted:

What's with the tube?

It’s the dryer vent,

VelociBacon posted:

He does endurance races... Never ask a gamer about his tube.

or is it?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Finally got around to setting up my CSL load cell pedals.

I learned a few things right away:
- I need to hard mount the pedals and my seat. Not sure how I'm going to do this yet. I use this computer and desk for everything so whatever I do needs to fit underneath and also be movable so I can go back to my normal chair. The desk is very solid and the wheel doesn't cause any issues.

- Even assuming I get a solid seat-pedal connection, the brake elastomers are still absurdly stiff. I can put practically my whole bodyweight into it and it only moves ~10-15mm. With the brake force set to even 50% I'd wear out my braking leg in a couple laps. I've read they soften with use but I'm already looking at alternatives.

welcome to do not hurt your foot mode. I'm slightly different since i basically took what was meant for chairs and just replaced the connector with a bike tube mount for my playseat but this thing is supposed to be for computer chairs. Really you just have to dial in the distance/angle over time to find out what is comfortable, its annoying af but since every leg is different you just have to find that sweetspot. Also wear shoes on your braking foot. the brake crap definitely comes off as overhype but I do like the pressure based more than the floating lever mode. You get used to the change from travel to pressure pretty quick, just do a map with a lot of straights-> sharp turns. I ended up just getting an actual puma motorsport shoes because my wide foot is hell with pedals since regular shoes tend to keep it wider going downward whereas motorsport shoes are basically lil evil goblin shoes. suffice to say I'm glad nobody can see me putting those shoes on for the computer because it'd land a critical hit to my self respect. i comfort myself by thinking that i Haven't debased myself by using gloves at least

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gloves allow you to hold the wheel not as tight, giving you finer control and quicker response to feedback IMO.

I never felt like I wanted to wear shoes with my CSL LCs, they feel really comfortable in socks to me with the rubber pedal cover on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its a factor of me being in a playseat imo, the angle is all wrong to my leg length and crap. so doing barefooted braking for hours on end made me pay the price afterward, I was on the V3's tho i imagine they're similar. See now my brain understands the gloves, but my heart won't allow it. so, naturally, I instead spent hundreds of dollars on a SRM emu+a big beautiful leather 350mm deep dish.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I should say that the best gloves for aimracing aren't the karting gloves but actually are mountain bike ones - specifically fox rangers (non gel).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am pretty new to his but found cycling gloves with just a hint of padding are great and indoor soccer shoes with those brownish soles are great because they don't rub off or lose material on the pedals that came with my T300 RS GT.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Regular finger-less driving gloves work great for me... I was using finger-less cycling gloves but they were giving my left hand weird calluses. These have held up really well for the last few months: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SFYFVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Essobie posted:

Regular finger-less driving gloves work great for me... I was using finger-less cycling gloves but they were giving my left hand weird calluses. These have held up really well for the last few months: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SFYFVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds like those gloves were the wrong size or they just suck! They're not all the same, it's like wheelbases, you can spend almost nothing or a lot.

The Fox rangers have little silicone patches on the first two fingertips and it makes it so pleasurable and easy to input shifts because you need almost no pressure to keep your fingers on the paddles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use these they are cheap and work well and are thin enough to feel the buttons and all that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMMNBHQ

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I use these they are cheap and work well and are thin enough to feel the buttons and all that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMMNBHQ

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-M...ps%2C123&sr=8-4

Real bike gloves aren't that much more expensive!

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i recently got iracing and i just did my first actual race against players (in any sim, actually) and i got 4th place and was the only one with 0 incidents and i already feel amazing and like i'm at my peak. it's all downhill from here

what a thrill lmao, i slept on this way too long. the first thing i did was spectate a couple races and i was blown away by just how many players are first timers still and how awful they all are which gave me a nice little kick in the rear end to finally try out the real thing. i guess i just assumed that in the last couple years everyone playing was already way into it and i would be outclassed, but i was really wrong. passing in a real race is definitely a whole game in itself i need to learn and get confident at eventually

thanks diary

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's always new people coming in and a lot of people who've been playing for years are still bad.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every game has people who play forever and are still bad and i just can't comprehend it. i can only pray they are stoned out of their minds

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

every game has people who play forever and are still bad and i just can't comprehend it. i can only pray they are stoned out of their minds

I'm being called out in this post. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I do it IRL and I'm still terrible

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Been playing CS for 20 years and I'm horrible. Been playing Starcraft for ~10 years and I'm terrible. I've been sim racing for 14 months, wonder how I'll be in 10 years? Oh no...

As long as my perspective is that I'm terrible I'm happy to know I'm improving. If I ever actually think I'm good at a game I know I'm even worse than I ever could imagine. Sim racing is unique in how quantifiably you can measure your skill or improvement, and how quickly you can process actionable information (ie changing braking points after seeing someone else's line vs trying to get a headshot after seeing someone get a headshot). I've taken a variety of games fairly seriously but this is the only one I'd consider actually paying a coach for a couple hours.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
No matter how good you get at sim racing, there’s always an alien who is way faster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also there are guys who perpetually make new accounts to stay in rookies forever and pub stomp, which is shameful as hell

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I literally don't understand the point of that since you don't even have a ranking in rookies and people are spending 99% of the time trying not to die instead of trying to get a faster time.

I didn't even pay attention to who placed what, just my safety rating.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Try looking at Twitch streamer Summit, who got into iRacing and loved it but once he got out of rookies he found he couldn’t reliably win races any more so months after starting iRacing he’s still exclusively racing rookie Mazdas when he could’ve easily been C class and running advanced by now if he could just handle not winning.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

I literally don't understand the point of that since you don't even have a ranking in rookies and people are spending 99% of the time trying not to die instead of trying to get a faster time.

I didn't even pay attention to who placed what, just my safety rating.

They want to absolutely murder the rest of the grid, and make themselves feel fast. You can do that in rookies pretty easily if you have experience. If you qualify pole and stay there through turn one, you're basically automatically faster than everyone else, and all you have to do is just stay out front. Its purely so they can feel like they're better and can win races, because they can't do it in D class

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
irating is calculated in rookies, it's just not shown. So the more you win in rookie Mazdas, the more you get stuck with other people that cheese rookie mazdas, which end up being some pretty good clean races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which is why they keep registering new accounts, so their IR is as low as the other newbies. if you just race rookies like normal you'll get matched against other people of your level (not rookies).

Its the people constantly making new accounts to kill rookies that are pretty shameful.