Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Overlord K posted:

No matter how meandering Reggie might be in wandering around, I appreciate his quickness in picking dialogue options most the time instead of sitting there mulling over them at each choice like some older LPs. :shobon:

Reggie keeps picking the Renegade options in convos and proceeded to get surprised everytime his Shepard does Renegade things, like murdering and/or threatening people is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I hate that aspect of Mass Effect. You don't actually roleplay ME. You don't pick what you want to say for every given situation. You either pick the renegade or paragon option, the whole game every time, or face the consequences of losing agency when the really big decisions happen. You'll just get straight up locked out. So you got a game with hundreds of choices and everyone just sees one or the other. Bleh.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Flubby posted:

I hate that aspect of Mass Effect. You don't actually roleplay ME. You don't pick what you want to say for every given situation. You either pick the renegade or paragon option, the whole game every time, or face the consequences of losing agency when the really big decisions happen. You'll just get straight up locked out. So you got a game with hundreds of choices and everyone just sees one or the other. Bleh.
It's why it baffles me that Woolie wants to do the whole trilogy in the drivers seat for the shittier last two. Why get invested when you know it will progressively get worse?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mass effect two and three are both good games with severe flaws throughout, but still worth playing if you enjoy the first game imo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does Paige stream full time? I vaguely remember her having some job that involved her traveling overseas with some regularity some years back.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Grouchio posted:

It's why it baffles me that Woolie wants to do the whole trilogy in the drivers seat for the shittier last two. Why get invested when you know it will progressively get worse?

He's never played 2 and 3 so we're in for a wild ride when he eventually reaches 3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
3 is not entirely bad. The ending is hot garbage the likes we've rarely seen, but there's tons of really good stuff in 3. And then the dlc, which is now packed in normally, has stuff like javik and the citadel dlc which is insanely good and some of the best stuff in the entire series (though admittedly because it builds off of everything that came before)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I've been replaying the series in the last few weeks. It certainly has a lot of slavery and genocide apologia.

ME3 has it bright spots, but overall it's not good. It's not bad, either. There aren't as many dialogue options. No Krogan squadmate. The beginning is pretty underwhelming, especially with them trying to get players to sympathize with the kid who dies at the beginning. Can't even move around your ship until after Mars. The overall story really pushes the "Humans are special" theme they want. The game assumes that the player cares about Earth even though we have no relation to it outside of living on it in the real world. We've got to go to Earth in the games before. And then the main goal for much of the game is getting all of the civilizations to come to Earth since it's being ravaged by the Reapers even though all of their homeworlds are being destroyed by the Reapers. For some reason, Earth is important because humans are supposedly special. And the Reapers park the Citadel in Earth's orbit for some reason. Literally no reason for that.

But there are some bright spots. Seeing the characters move around the ship after certain missions and interacting with each other is great and something that I wished was in the previous games. Having them be all over the Citadel when you dock is great, as well. And Citadel is the best dlc this series has and it's amazing. It's a great send off for these characters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Citadel is the best THING in the series and not coincidentally is A: low stakes and B: about the characters bullshitting around, aka the two things that people actually liked, not the reapers horseshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is ME2 where they go full in on ripping off Star Control 3, or is that ME3

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Mass Effect is fascinating in that half the time it talks about how Space Racism is bad. Then the other half the time it talks about how Vorcha are biologically incapable of being civilized and the games really, really want you to know it's okay to hate Batarians because everything about them is trash. It'll be interesting to see how Woolie and Reggie navigate that because I don't think those things crop up until ME 2 & 3.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mass Effect is fascinating in that half the time it talks about how Space Racism is bad. Then the other half the time it talks about how Vorcha are biologically incapable of being civilized and the games really, really want you to know it's okay to hate Batarians because everything about them is trash. It'll be interesting to see how Woolie and Reggie navigate that because I don't think those things crop up until ME 2 & 3.

You're forgetting the ME1 dlc where batarians try to destroy a major colony

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You're forgetting the ME1 dlc where batarians try to destroy a major colony

See, I couldn't remember if that was an ME1 DLC or if I was thinking of the ME2 DLC where you have to do that dumb Trolley Problem of warning the Batrians about dangers to their colonies or not. The one that sets up the start of ME3 where no matter what the Batarians are mad at you and have you put on trial for war crimes.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 4, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I didn't play the me3 dlcs because I played me3 on launch and dipped hard at the original ending, but iirc there is only one nice Batarian in the entire series and he's some unnamed NPC who you run into when recruiting Mordin in ME2 lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nuns with Guns posted:

See, I couldn't remember if that was an ME1 DLC or if I was thinking of the ME2 DLC where you have to do that dumb Trolley Problem of warning the Batrians about dangers to their colonies or not. The one that sets up the start of ME3 where no matter what the Batarians are mad at you and have you put on trail for war crimes.

Yeah ME2 is where you do what the batarians tried to do in 1.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah batarians are lovely from the jump but there are good natarians in 3 to try and balance it out. They aren't genetically predisposed towards evil or anything, it's just that the only batarians who leave the Terminus Systems are pirates and slavers because the actual government is full on isolationist.

also I'm playing through the trilogy again because of the LP and there's so much poo poo I forgot that I can't wait to see Reggie react to, like the whole Zhu's Hope sequence.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 4, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah batarians are lovely from the jump but there are good natarians in 3 to try and balance it out. They aren't genetically predisposed towards evil or anything, it's just that the only batarians who leave the Terminus Systems are pirates and slavers because the actual government is full on isolationist.

also I'm playing through the trilogy again because of the LP and there's so much poo poo I forgot that I can't wait to see Reggie react to, like the whole Zhu's Hope sequence.

Even if there are some nice ones, it's still a race Bioware designed where slavery is so integral to their rigid caste system that they consider anti-slavery laws to be specific discrimination against them. Someone on the writing staff thought they were being very clever.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I wish Bioware went with their original idea for the Batarians and made them humanoids with Bat heads.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even if there are some nice ones, it's still a race Bioware designed where slavery is so integral to their rigid caste system that they consider anti-slavery laws to be specific discrimination against them. Someone on the writing staff thought they were being very clever.

really all the batarians you meet should have deep south accents

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
ME3's dlc is also helpful that it's in there now because there is the Leviathan DLC which is very important but somehow wasn't in the game proper. Until I saw Alex play it on Giant Bomb, I had no idea how much it helps the lore and all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Good Listener posted:

ME3's dlc is also helpful that it's in there now because there is the Leviathan DLC which is very important but somehow wasn't in the game proper. Until I saw Alex play it on Giant Bomb, I had no idea how much it helps the lore and all.

Of the three ME DLC it definitely reads as the one that was supposed to just be in the game and got cut out (other than Javik who is equally wild to miss)

While Omega is a better piece of playable content and Citadel is the best loving thing in the franchise, Leviathan is the one that actually connects some dots.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still can't believe they stuck the party member from the race that was being built up as a big lore mystery thing for two games as a pre order/day 1 DLC or whatever it was, and insisted it wasn't that big of a deal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxyclean posted:

I still can't believe they stuck the party member from the race that was being built up as a big lore mystery thing for two games as a pre order/day 1 DLC or whatever it was, and insisted it wasn't that big of a deal.

And Javik's great, too! He's such a piece of poo poo!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Oxyclean posted:

That was 100% a thing that was carved out as DLC by EA to make a quick buck.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Javik is an incredible bit of writing. You go through this whole series idealizing the great lost precursors and their epic struggle, and then you unlock the last one and find out they were a whole empire of racist imperialist shitheads god I love Javik

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Woolie’s, and to a lesser extent Pat’s, ongoing saga of “shearing the edges off a square peg on a round hole” with OSs is both deeply entertaining and intensely annoying for me to listen to. I totally get their annoyances but good lord; if your pipeline workflows are that easily busted you should go yell at the software vendors whose products you are using. Heck, I recall them both using debloat scripts which can often cause all kinds of fun issues down the line.

I totally get and support just going “gently caress it” and letting a screwdriver shop deal with hardware issues, but just refusing to learn and deal with your operating system is some boomer tech.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

They are talking about learning about how to use the operating system though? Like their complaint is that the systems are often designed in the modern era to hide actual settings you might want to change behind more and more layers of obfuscation both to keep people who don't know what they're doing away and also to push the tablet-fication of desktops.

I don't think "God just learn to deal with it, boomer" is...a coherent response to "Hey I need to set these devices up so the audio isn't hosed for my stream and it's 8 sub-menus down when it used to be 2".

But yeah I'm sure pat and woolie complaining about it to Microsoft is going to get that addressed, lol.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Them taking their PCs to "their guy" was more of a business decision time = money thing. Like Pat says, if computer no worky, all worky stops. If getting your professional involved for a couple hundred dollars means getting back up and running in a day or two than losing several more days of streaming/podcasting trying to troubleshoot it yourself, you had better go with the first option.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm going through Woolie's FF6 LP and watching his brain melt when he realizes what Gogo's deal is amazing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've been watching some older SBFP stuff and my brain has completely forgotten: What was the origin of the ALL THE WARRIORS meme?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Warriors, I presume.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They are talking about learning about how to use the operating system though? Like their complaint is that the systems are often designed in the modern era to hide actual settings you might want to change behind more and more layers of obfuscation both to keep people who don't know what they're doing away and also to push the tablet-fication of desktops.

I don't think "God just learn to deal with it, boomer" is...a coherent response to "Hey I need to set these devices up so the audio isn't hosed for my stream and it's 8 sub-menus down when it used to be 2".

But yeah I'm sure pat and woolie complaining about it to Microsoft is going to get that addressed, lol.

Sorry, I may have communicated that poorly. The complaints about the UX design are valid and I frankly agree with them, but the fellow runs debloat scripts and does all he can to stop updates and so forth so some OS “fun” is to be expected.

I totally get their problems but they’re getting to the point where they should be looking into paying someone to set up something closer to a business/enterprise OS setup that’s just security patches or something. Their approach for hardware repair makes a ton of sense for their jobs should be examined for software.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The gently caress is a debloat script

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The funnier thing to me is it's not actually that hard to get to control panel unless you're refusing to type. You click start, you're control panel, and then click on it, or you can do WinKey+R, type control, and hit enter.

Then again I've been doing this kinda poo poo since 7 at least to bring up regedit, services, etc.

I've only used 11 a few times so far, it's not as bad as people act like it is, but it's still got enough issues and limitations/restrictions that I plan on avoiding if at all possible. I kinda feel like Microsoft might force the issue, EoL 10 before 12, but hopefully 11 will be enough service packs deep to be better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

The gently caress is a debloat script

Lacking some context: I assume it's a script you run on your computer after a fresh install that removes a bunch of bloat, ie: it uninstalls/disables/hides a bunch of pre-installed stuff that some people don't want to use like cortana and edge.

I've never bothered with a script or app to really do it for me, but fresh installs I'll grab classic shell and fiddle with settings so I don't have to deal with crap cluttering my taskbar.

Jumping through hoops to disable updates is a little bit funny because people who constantly press "update later" are probably the entire reason why Windows started instituting "gently caress you, we're updating" behavior, but it's fully understandable that the guys do it when random windows updates would gently caress up their software and ruin recording days.

Personally I don't really remember the last time Windows forced me to update by restarting in the middle of the night or something, or the last time a windows update broke something serious, though it swear it's gotten pretty cheeky with deciding to do an restart-and-update when I swear I pressed "shut down"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’ve pretty much got it, yeah. Tron used to be a pretty popular one and I want to say they may have mentioned it in the podcast. It also does stuff like disable auto updates and all kinds of registry tweaks which can have some dire consequences down the line as the OS isn’t really designed for that and you should be taking additional steps to account for those changes over time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie is the guy who insists on playing FPS with half a controller and half a keyboard so I just assume any technical issues he experiences are his own fault

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Its half a controller and an MMO mouse, add it to "Things Woolie would rather do than use a keyboard for old PC games"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What I thought they were mostly complaining about is stuff like Windows 10 simultaneously having both "settings" and "control panel" which do different things as well as an "installed apps" and a "programs and features" as hosed up holdovers from previous versions etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've made two attempts to watch Woolie's first Mass Effect episode and I just can't get through it. It's not them, it's the game, it's shocking how loving boring it is right off the jump. Oh boy, the Americans are in space, everyone's racist and we respect the troops. gently caress off. Bioware was never good.