Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vaporware posted:

Ok I got the 6 pack of uv5Rs and they're awesome. Is there a quick GMRS training guide for me on how to properly use the airwaves before I give them to the scouts?
Edit: I already paid for my GMRS license, forgot to add that. I looked thru the rules but nothing jumped out at me.

Keep in mind that Bofeng got a fine for the U5R and the fact it's actually not FCC compliant for GMRS (I can't remember if that's resolved by using GMRS with a License). but they're so cheap and easy to use, and I doubt that FCC is gunna come down on a bunch of scouts yelling PENIS into their GRMS radios.

Edit: This has a decent best practice guide (And also goes deep into it with repeaters n stuff which you probably aren't doing with scouts. )
https://portlandprepares.org/net-resources/radio/frs-gmrs-radio/
But basically the guidelines are.. Speak after pressing button a short period of time. don't yell penis into the airwaves, and say your callsign occasionally (15 mins)
Oh and 100% try and lock the keypads etc for your radio so the scouts dont' dick around and start broadcasting on not the right frequency.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

depending on the baofeng it might be able to go over 5w, which is illegal for gmrs iirc. you might need to lock that down in addition to frequencies

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

depending on the baofeng it might be able to go over 5w, which is illegal for gmrs iirc. you might need to lock that down in addition to frequencies

GMRS allows up to 50W depending on the station type and channel combination. You can read all the rules here:
47 C.F.R. Part 95 Subpart E

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bofengs are also pretty noisey which is another reason I thought fcc didn't licence them on gmrs frequencies? Aside from them not power limiting on the respective channels.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Vaporware posted:

Ok I got the 6 pack of uv5Rs and they're awesome. Is there a quick GMRS training guide for me on how to properly use the airwaves before I give them to the scouts?
Edit: I already paid for my GMRS license, forgot to add that. I looked thru the rules but nothing jumped out at me.

The license only covers you and your family , not people you hand radios out to

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

JointHorse posted:

Speaking of Baofengs, what's the latest good version to buy? Anything newer/better than UV-82, that's not a rebadged UV-5R with a fancy name?

Get a UV-5R III or a BF-F8HP. As far as I know anything else (aside from dmr stuff) is just a regular UV-5R.

If I'm wrong please tell me!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Partycat posted:

The license only covers you and your family , not people you hand radios out to

Yeah, I know all the other scout parents and I'm working on getting them to pay the $35 for the license. The only hard part of that is figuring how to pay.

Achmed Jones posted:

I went thru the chirp options and a set low power for all the <5w stations. I'll probably just lock them to the channel mode and give them a limited preset list.

tater_salad posted:

Keep in mind that Bofeng got a fine for the U5R and the fact it's actually not FCC compliant for GMRS (I can't remember if that's resolved by using GMRS with a License). but they're so cheap and easy to use, and I doubt that FCC is gunna come down on a bunch of scouts yelling PENIS into their GRMS radios.

Edit: This has a decent best practice guide (And also goes deep into it with repeaters n stuff which you probably aren't doing with scouts. )
https://portlandprepares.org/net-resources/radio/frs-gmrs-radio/
But basically the guidelines are.. Speak after pressing button a short period of time. don't yell penis into the airwaves, and say your callsign occasionally (15 mins)
Oh and 100% try and lock the keypads etc for your radio so the scouts dont' dick around and start broadcasting on not the right frequency.

Yeah haven't figured out repeaters yet, but that's all good info. The scouts are aiming for HAM badges so I don't think they're out to harass anyone. Last time they played with an FRS radio at camp they thought they were talking to truckers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does that ham badge include getting in the battered troop xxx bus and going to the ham test?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey thread! So the genuine RTL-SDR is perpetually out of stock so I need a recommendation on what to get to dip my toe into SDR stuff.

I’m in the US (texas) and kinda interested in:
Identifying planes since we see lots of them overhead
Scanning fire/police stuff for fun
Other infrastructure stuff, it’s just super interesting to me
LORA seems neat, I have an ESP32 that does it
The satellite slow scan stuff seems cool
Numbers stations seem cool (shortwave, right?)

Mainly receiving, not really interested in transmitting or getting a license yet but I could if it mattered

Is there something that fits the bill for all of this? Or at least the first couple of items?

Is there a clone that’s confirmed to work well? I’d like compatibility above all else. I dont want to buy something that’ll be useless if I want to go further into the space

<= $100 Unless there’s a compelling reason/value to spend more

Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm showing the rtl sdr blog units (the best cheapies imo) in stock here
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=sr_1_2

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

namlosh posted:

Hey thread! So the genuine RTL-SDR is perpetually out of stock so I need a recommendation on what to get to dip my toe into SDR stuff.

I’m in the US (texas) and kinda interested in:
Identifying planes since we see lots of them overhead
Scanning fire/police stuff for fun
Other infrastructure stuff, it’s just super interesting to me
LORA seems neat, I have an ESP32 that does it
The satellite slow scan stuff seems cool
Numbers stations seem cool (shortwave, right?)

Mainly receiving, not really interested in transmitting or getting a license yet but I could if it mattered

Is there something that fits the bill for all of this? Or at least the first couple of items?

Is there a clone that’s confirmed to work well? I’d like compatibility above all else. I dont want to buy something that’ll be useless if I want to go further into the space

<= $100 Unless there’s a compelling reason/value to spend more

Thanks!

For watching planes I just use https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ so I don't have to spend one of my SDRs on it.

Most of TX is on trunked P25 systems with some counties being completely encrypted. Check out https://www.radioreference.com/db/browse/stid/48 to get an idea of what exists in your area.

I have a few of the RTLs that Jonny linked and they work just fine for most of the stuff you've listed.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm showing the rtl sdr blog units (the best cheapies imo) in stock here
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=sr_1_2

Omg, ordered…

I swear I went here at the bottom and it showed no availability yesterday before I posted

And I’m sure I could use flight aware or another site to listen to/identify the planes l. But this was a way to get into radio

Thx to both of you!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A big reason why baofeng & co are not approved for any transmitting use by multiple countries, is that the spectral purity of multiple models is abysmal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjEl6dciLS0

40dB is barely passable (though still illegal), 34dB is really bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this isnt strictly the thread for this, but what is the state of CB radio in 2022? I'm about to buy a Honda Goldwing from the early 2000's, which comes with a built in CB radio that it will pipe right into your helmet. That seems like a cool option to have, but have truckers and other highway traffic moved on to some form of digital CB, or do they use some sort of internet connected thing now? Or is it still just plain old analog CB out there?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this isnt strictly the thread for this, but what is the state of CB radio in 2022? I'm about to buy a Honda Goldwing from the early 2000's, which comes with a built in CB radio that it will pipe right into your helmet. That seems like a cool option to have, but have truckers and other highway traffic moved on to some form of digital CB, or do they use some sort of internet connected thing now? Or is it still just plain old analog CB out there?

I think the FCC just approved FM on CB. Otherwise it's probably mostly AM and SSB still.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pretty much just dump trucks and asphalt companies in town here, but on the open road i heard a bunch of chatter on 19. Went to Santa Fe, took back roads and got a surprise blizzard. I was the #2 car in the train behind a semi, and we stayed in touch and he called when he would slow down etc.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Anyone have any experience with these flagpole antennas? I live in the middle of HOA land and I really do not have the spoons to argue with old people about my antenna giving them the 5g coronavirus or whatever. But my CC&Rs say I'm allowed to put up a flagpole up to 20' tall without any issues. :ninja:

If there's someone out there making them better or cheaper, please, enlighten me.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've heard good things about the flagpole antennas, get one of the ATUs they suggest though, the SWR is way higher than you'd think. There is a reason they suggest fairly high end remote tuners.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Will be fine or even good on 40 through 10 meters at the ~20 ft height. Absolutely ignore any and all claims of working on 80 or 160. they're just too short to be effective there.

And yeah you will want an autotuner at the feed point and a good radial field, but they do work. God thats pricey though, my DIY reflexes are firing, but i suppose it's not that bad for a one-and-done thing that you don't want to have to Engineer.

16 radials the same length as the pole (ignore the 1/4 wave radial myth, it doesn't matter for buried ones) would be a pretty solid counterpoise.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Will be fine or even good on 40 through 10 meters at the ~20 ft height. Absolutely ignore any and all claims of working on 80 or 160. they're just too short to be effective there.

And yeah you will want an autotuner at the feed point and a good radial field, but they do work. God thats pricey though, my DIY reflexes are firing, but i suppose it's not that bad for a one-and-done thing that you don't want to have to Engineer.

16 radials the same length as the pole (ignore the 1/4 wave radial myth, it doesn't matter for buried ones) would be a pretty solid counterpoise.

I don't need a counterpoise if I can ground it, right? That's the easiest part; it's going in my back yard, so I can dig whatever I want. It just can't look like an antenna when I'm done. :v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Two types of grounds in play:

* Lightning ground. This is the 8 foot stake that you're gonna whang down into the dirt. This is a great conductor of lightning, and a poor 'other half of the antenna'
* RF counterpoise. This is the aforementioned other half of the antenna, and a terrible lightning ground.

Both need to be in play for an effective and safe install.

Like, yeah, you may get acceptable performance with just the ground rod. But if you a/b tested it versus a setup with a ground rod and 8-16 radials, you'd see another 6-10 dB of performance, and it'd also tune up more easily and have a wider operating range.

Buried radials really are no big deal. You can cut a little slit in the soil and push 'em in (a burner linoleum knife is good for this), or just lay them on the ground and lock em down with lawn staples

If you get them in now, assuming you have a nominal grass yard, they would be like 1/4-1/2" below the soil surface by fall, and next year would be completely invisible. I had 12 radials stretching across the little grass patch in a freakin RV park and after a couple months they were pure stealth mode.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Two types of grounds in play:

* Lightning ground. This is the 8 foot stake that you're gonna whang down into the dirt. This is a great conductor of lightning, and a poor 'other half of the antenna'
* RF counterpoise. This is the aforementioned other half of the antenna, and a terrible lightning ground.

Both need to be in play for an effective and safe install.

Like, yeah, you may get acceptable performance with just the ground rod. But if you a/b tested it versus a setup with a ground rod and 8-16 radials, you'd see another 6-10 dB of performance, and it'd also tune up more easily and have a wider operating range.

Buried radials really are no big deal. You can cut a little slit in the soil and push 'em in (a burner linoleum knife is good for this), or just lay them on the ground and lock em down with lawn staples

If you get them in now, assuming you have a nominal grass yard, they would be like 1/4-1/2" below the soil surface by fall, and next year would be completely invisible. I had 12 radials stretching across the little grass patch in a freakin RV park and after a couple months they were pure stealth mode.

Yeah I may have to forgo that; I'm not sure I have a 40' radius area in my yard I can set this up without just plunking the antenna down right in the walkway to the carport or something- it's not that big, lol. On the upside, no one can raise my rent, so that's been nice.

There's a lot more out there on this topic than I expected; apparently the olds in the Villages have to beat their HOA too, so they made a guide to stealth antennas. It looks like some hams have made their own flagpole antennas, so I might consider doing that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jedi425 posted:

Anyone have any experience with these flagpole antennas? I live in the middle of HOA land and I really do not have the spoons to argue with old people about my antenna giving them the 5g coronavirus or whatever. But my CC&Rs say I'm allowed to put up a flagpole up to 20' tall without any issues. :ninja:

If there's someone out there making them better or cheaper, please, enlighten me.

Do some research on the company, I’ve heard some iffy things on one of those flagpole antenna vendors, but can’t remember who.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

blugu64 posted:

Do some research on the company, I’ve heard some iffy things on one of those flagpole antenna vendors, but can’t remember who.

It's this one. :v: Don't do business with the guys I linked, they have an F with the BBB, which I've never seen before.

On diving into the CC&Rs at my HOA some more, it just says that antennas require 'approval', so I may try my luck.

Or I found a few hams who rolled their own flagpole antennas, I may try one of their guides.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ran a Hustler 4BTV for a while, which is flagpole-shaped without the pretenses. 10/15/20/40m

It wasn’t very effectively be without any radials, but was a fair performer once I got the kids to paper-clip 100ft of wire into the grass. My antenna was at the corner of my driveway pad, so I had a 90 degree slice without radials, but I didn’t notice in practice.

Vertical antennas have a shallow takeoff angle, so I had kind of a donut of coverage of pskreporter. I usually hopped over nearby states.

I tried adding 80m but the bandwidth was laughably narrow. I could only tune up like 1/3 of the voice segment, and if I wanted to try 80m digital, I had to bring down the antenna and physically adjust.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah the best way to enjoy trapped verticals on the low bands is to just tune em up for the digital segment and call it good. You're not getting any solid ssb on 75m voice with a vertical and no amp, anyways.

At any rate - radial fields are basically a large capacitor with one plate being the radials and the other being ~~~ THE EARTH ITSELFFFFFF ~~~ <scifi noises> . They don't have to be in an even circle. I've done semicircular and 90 degree arc layouts (good for when you got it on the corner of a chain link fence etc) with good success. You'll have 1-2 db less performance in the directions that don't have radials, but it's not a dramatic nerf.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Well I know some folks think FT8 is cheating, but I’m sure having fun.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

blugu64 posted:

Anyone against digital modes is just an old mad that they don't have computers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

blugu64 posted:

Like a lot of hobbies, there is no right way to do amateur radio. There are of course some wrong ways, like transmitting where you're not supposed to or loving with other users of the spectrum, but as long as you're not doing those kinds of things then do what makes you happy. If you're enjoying yourself and maybe occasionally learning something you're probably doing pretty well.

Neito posted:

Anyone against digital modes is just an old mad that they don't have computers.
:hmmyes:

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

wolrah posted:

Like a lot of hobbies, there is no right way to do amateur radio. There are of course some wrong ways, like transmitting where you're not supposed to or loving with other users of the spectrum, but as long as you're not doing those kinds of things then do what makes you happy. If you're enjoying yourself and maybe occasionally learning something you're probably doing pretty well.

:hmmyes:

Ahem. Reminder, we use DMR to hold a net bi-weekly.

Axis of Entropy
Aug 4, 2007
"Entropy does not require maintenance."
What's the discord invite?
edit: found it https://discord.gg/R46wYGB

Axis of Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 26, 2022

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm taking my general exam next weekend and my plan is to get a G90 for my first HF radio. I'm a renter with a balcony available to me, but can't set up anything permanently outside. My radio is about 40' away from the balcony. I'm willing to spend up to, say $200-300 for antennas and coax. Seems like 20m would be the primary band I'll care about, but I'd be interested in getting on others as well. I'd prefer not to DIY my first antenna. Is my budget reasonable? What antennas should I be considering?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If you can't put up anything permanent just find a 20m whip antenna that you can clamp to the railing and get enough coax to make it back to your radio.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you can't put up anything permanent just find a 20m whip antenna that you can clamp to the railing and get enough coax to make it back to your radio.

I'm coming at this from total ignorance (though I can tell you that two yagis mounted horizontally have a 3db gain over a single vertical yagi because that's in the question pool), so... something like this? https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-2320t.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfgUZw40WpZZ8CcuhlYi3q_tLH50TojBMxBSSPD2R32J-6PaXN0d6OkaAg6FEALw_wcB

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 5, 2022

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Gigaparts guy has me getting a 44" 20m monoband Shark vertical and a separate mag mount so that I can swap in other monoband antennas when I want to switch bands. Seems reasonable? With R8GX to the radio?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Steely Dad posted:

I'm taking my general exam next weekend and my plan is to get a G90 for my first HF radio. I'm a renter with a balcony available to me, but can't set up anything permanently outside. My radio is about 40' away from the balcony. I'm willing to spend up to, say $200-300 for antennas and coax. Seems like 20m would be the primary band I'll care about, but I'd be interested in getting on others as well. I'd prefer not to DIY my first antenna. Is my budget reasonable? What antennas should I be considering?

You want the MFJ-2286 Big Stick.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-2286

It's an adjustable tapped coil with a ~17 foot whip on the end and a very generic clamp mount on the bottom side. It will run 40 meters if you tap the coil low, or 20-10 without the coil in play at all.

This is my portable HF antenna and I've got it clamped to a big telescope tripod for portable setups. Three 17' radials off of the base and we are rockin'.

Best deal on a high HF antenna hands down. You might have to replace it in a year if you let it stay up through 3-5 hurricanes, but other than that, it's good.

e: when i go camping and park the truck, i put the Big Stick whip on the mobile mount on my truck and use my autotuner. It does 75 through 6m there. Huge antenna. very good.

Buy a big stick, cock it out at a 45 or 90 degree angle off your balcony railing, lay out a couple of 20 foot radial wires, and you're yeeting 20m sstv as far as the eye can see.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Every antenna is a compromise, but that mobile whip is going to work so poorly you’re going to get frustrated and give up.

I have a g90 also. I like it, but I get the best results when I take it outside. I use a Wolf River Coils thing, which is a portable vertical with a tapped coil that you slide a contact along to adjust for different bands, 10m to 40m. It’s self-supported with little tripod legs.

Can you stretch a wire from your balcony to another high spot like a tree? An end-fed thing might be an option.

I’ve got that MFJ 2286 also, but the Wolf River is so much better built. I think clamping the Big Stick to a balcony rail is probably going to be disappointing and still need counterpoise wires stretched out. That’s why I tend to suggest the WRC with its legs that can set up anywhere.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 5, 2022

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Crap, now I'm in the position of being the least knowledgeable person here, trying to make decisions based on differing opinions between people who all know more than I do.

Would I be reasonable to start off with the 44" Shark 20m monoband (the Gigaparts guy, who had what looked like a stock photo of an Elmer as his chat avatar, said he worked all kinds of places with his) and then see if I'm ready to start packing big sticks and wolf rivers once I've at least gotten on the air? Or am I likely to find it too difficult to make contacts with it and only 20 watts, as someone new to HF?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s this balcony situation like? Tossing a wire dipole up in some trees should be your first step in HF, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

It's on the second floor directly above a concrete driveway. There are two trees within about 10' of the edge of the balcony, one that's about three stories high, and one that's maybe four or five stories.