Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i finally get to see my therapist in-person after years of zoom meetings, and the garden outside their office is full of birds that sit on the windowsill and listen intently to our discussions of ecological doom :3:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

one thing i've been doing that should be fairly safe for anybody to reproduce is stashing large pots (plastic lol) under dense undergrowth where they can't be seen from outside, and filling them to the top with native bark and leaf litter. i don't plant anything in them, just let the litter decompose and add invertebrates when i find them, as well as clean green compost from my kitchen on occasion. it provides a sanctuary for the invertebrates to breed, and the birds can harvest them off the top of the litter. inside the pot it ends up naturally and permanently damp due to the cycle of decomposition; if you have frogs around, they will find their way in and use it as a drought refuge. as the invertebrates munch away on the bark over time, the nutritious dampness will seep out the holes in the bottom of the pot and into the soil. i started doing this about a year ago and it's worked really well, if you can find some suitably dense plants to hide the pot in so nobody disturbs it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

obviously terracotta would be better if you have it. i'm going to start hoarding terracotta pots, i think they'll become a commodity once the microplastic problem becomes better-known. although ceramics are also environmentally hosed in their own special way :(

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This is basically what I assume the entirety of Britain looks like

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vox Nihili posted:

It was beautiful. Before the British happened to it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Vox Nihili posted:

this was most things before humanity tbh

before we became farmers most humans just loved setting poo poo on fire

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Vox Nihili posted:

Did it have much trees historically?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

err posted:

Did it have much trees historically?

Compared to today? Yeah, it had a hell of a lot more at one point. But we're talking millennia ago. Humans were well underway in stripping that island to the bones before the Romans even showed up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm fairly certain Britain was literally carpeted in forest before humans showed up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
And for an extremely long time afterwards.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I saw some thing about how Stonehenge was part of a very large complex of henges that required a lot of forest to construct -- that missing woodland was a key clue to its method of construction, and the various wood henges were as or more important than Stonehenge

Any surviving humans will have the kinds of monuments which can be made from terrestrial dead zones instead

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Plastic Bag Henge

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm fairly certain Britain was literally carpeted in forest before humans showed up.

it was supposedly something like 60% forested but that was over 2000 years ago, it's been largely barren for the entirety of recorded history

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's the story for pretty much everywhere. Once agriculture gets its claws in it's all down hill from there.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The temperate rainforests in the UK and Ireland are amazing and well worth a visit before we destroy them forever.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/habitats/temperate-rainforest/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1533895441841917952

we did it guys, good work. take a day to celebrate and then let’s get back to it, gotta beat those numbers again next year!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Trabisnikof posted:

We already have plastic rocks

quote:

https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/eyes-on-environment/plastic_rock_the_new_anthropogenic/

Now, new research1 in The Geological Society of America has revealed an entirely different marker of our existence: plastic rock. This new form of sediment, borne from the collision between our consumer culture and the natural world, could last for millennia in the geologic record until uncovered by some future society combing the ground for hints about its own history.

Searching 21 different locations along Kamilo Beach on the largest island of Hawaii (see map), Corcoran et al have identified this new type of rock formed from the unlikely union of heated plastic debris and surrounding sediment or volcanic rock. Many of these plastic-sediment hybrids, or 'plastiglomerates', were found in sheltered locations, clinging to rocky outcrops or filling the pores of volcanic rock. This suggests that they were formed from plastic debris heated to high temperatures in campfires and later discarded, where they combined with other sediment while still hot. In other cases, bits of basalt, coral, shells, or wood cemented into the plastic matrix of fragments of plastic containers, fishing nets, or other debris scattered along the coast.
The shores of Kamilo Beach are a perfect location to find such an unusual fusion of the anthropogenic and geologic. Trade winds blow strongly into the coast, continually upturning sand that buries plastics with other sediment to give them time to meld together. Since the beach is 12 kilometers from the nearest paved road, human visitors are rare, and those that do visit usually camp and build fires that produce more heated plastics to create the plastiglomerates. Such remote access also makes clean-up efforts fairly infrequent.

so Rimworld really does provide the most accurate view of the future. we'll just be building refugee camps out of the giant formations of synthetic material left over from the wars and environmental degradation that consumed our planet, trying to rediscover the secrets of making cocaine so that we can sell it to the neighbouring tribes of techno-cannibals and slavers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i guess rime didnt pay to unban this time lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Minera posted:

I wouldn't either at this point, what a load of crap

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1533895441841917952

we did it guys, good work. take a day to celebrate and then let’s get back to it, gotta beat those numbers again next year!

Thankfully this is not carbon so it is not a problem

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Methane is more than 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide at trapping heat in the atmosphere

That's the little footnote in the history books that archaeologists will laugh at and go hoooly poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/us/california-rural-groundwater-crisis-climate/index.html

quote:

As California's big cities fail to rein in their water use, rural communities are already tapped out

Gary Biggs' family hasn't had water coming out of their private well for over a decade, after a multi-year drought and overpumping by agriculture and industry.

Now, the eight-acre farm in West Goshen, California, which Biggs passed down to his son, Ryan, in the 1970s, is parched and fallow. His son and granddaughter carry in water from sources to drink and shower. They go to town to wash their clothes, Biggs says.
In recent years, the family has gone from relying on water from cisterns provided by government programs, which they say tastes terrible, to hauling water containers to and from neighbors' homes -- neighbors who are willing to share what they have left.

Biggs, 72, still remembers when the family property had a thriving orchard. When he was a teenager, he planted pecan and orange trees, while his father grew alfalfa and raised cows and sheep.
"Now, it's all dirt," Biggs, a lifelong California resident, told CNN. "Central California is dying. We're becoming a wasteland. A hot and dry wasteland."
"And God forbid, I don't know how long this drought is gonna go on," he added. "Believe it or not climate change is here, and California is a poster child for it."
As cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco struggle to cut their water use -- water that overwhelmingly comes from the state's reservoirs -- rural Californians that rely on groundwater are already tapped out. They live with the daily worry that they won't have enough water to bathe with or drink.

Gov. Gavin Newsom has pleaded with urban residents and businesses to reduce their water consumption by 15%, but water usage in March was up by 19% in cities compared to March 2020, the year the current drought began. With the state running out of water, unprecedented water cuts went into effect this week for city dwellers -- in parts of southern California, residents have been asked to cut consumption by 35% to avoid a full ban on watering later in the summer.
Scorching summer heat is also approaching. Water evaporates from the soil on hot days, which worsens the drought -- a key reason never-before-seen groundwater shortages are cropping up. Not only has there not been enough rain to fill reservoirs, the air is leeching water from what's left on the ground.
Then there's contamination from industry.
Ruth Martínez, who lives in the small, unincorporated town of Ducor in Tulare County, has been advocating for clean water for decades. In the town of roughly 600 people, mostly Latino residents, their drinking water had been contaminated with nitrate, which is typically caused by the fertilizer used in agriculture.
After several complaints from residents, Ducor received a state grant in 2015 allowing the community to drill a deeper well -- about 2,000 feet -- to access clean water. But it only operated for three years before Martínez says a new well set up shop across the street from their residential well, threatening their own water supply yet again.
"We didn't even know about it until we saw the the digging equipment, and when we saw it was drilled, and everything at the well site," Martínez told CNN. "The drought has really made it even worse, because we don't have the [water] pressure that we used to have. We've had problems with water quality and had to buy bottled water from the store and stuff like that."

Martínez, a member of Ducor's water board, says she's been fielding concerns from her neighbors who want to know what the government is going to do. She tells CNN that residents there blame agriculture and industry for exacerbating the crisis by pumping more groundwater, despite dwindling supply.
Biggs, whose family farm is in Tulare County, also points to nearby dairy farms that he says have been drilling deeper wells and pumping more water out of the ground, which leaves less water for residential use.
The groundwater under central California's rural communities hadn't recovered from the previous drought when it was hit again with the current one. And drought conditions in California have reemerged rapidly this spring. Not only did the state not get nearly enough rainfall this winter to put a dent in the drought, wintertime snowfall was painfully below average, leaving little to melt and runoff into rivers, reservoirs and groundwater.

Already, the San Joaquin Valley -- where Tulare County is located -- is in the US Drought Monitor's most severe category.
Kelsey Hinton, the communications director at the Community Water Center, a group advocating for affordable access to clean water, said the problem is complex and can be traced back to decades-old planning policies.
"The first thing that's important to understand is these communities have been historically disinvested in since the beginning," Hinton told CNN. "They weren't even included in general planning for the county, or considered viable communities that were going to continue to grow over time. But these are people's homes, it's their neighbors, they have decades of life and community, and they want to be growing and they want to have the infrastructure needed for that."

Water has long been considered a property right in California, meaning property owners can pump as much water as they like. That has become a problem in a changing climate. During droughts, water was pumped faster from the basin than it could be replenished.
The state's Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, passed in 2014, was intended to address excessive pumping -- particularly from agriculture -- and to balance out depleted aquifers. Nevertheless, well-drilling permits have proliferated "with little oversight," Hinton said.
In March, Newsom issued an executive order that strictly prohibits local agencies from granting well-drilling permits for agriculture and industry, consistent with the 2014 bill, unless they perform a comprehensive review of how the drilling would impact households around them. But Hinton says the order includes temporary measures that will only last until the drought ends. Water advocates are banking on a bill to pass through the state legislature that would permanently strengthen oversight of the permitting process.
Martínez, who worked alongside César Chávez and the farmworkers movement, is a leading voice in the effort to get that bill passed quickly, as climate change accelerates drought impacts.
"We need to get together with the legislators and the different communities impacted and find out, educate ourselves on what we can do to prevent certain things from happening," she said. "All the problems that have got to do with water frustrate me. What keeps me going is I've only seen little improvement."
Biggs said seeing how drastically different the Central Valley is today, compared to when he was a child planting trees on his family's farm, there is no doubt that the climate crisis is taking a toll.
"We're in this part of the state that is slowly dying, because no one's taking us seriously," Biggs said. "I tell my grandkids as soon as you get out, leave this area, go somewhere where there's water, because this place is dying."

Planets dyin cloud

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/us/california-rural-groundwater-crisis-climate/index.html

Ruth Martínez, who lives in the small, unincorporated town of Ducor in Tulare County, has been advocating for clean water for decades. In the town of roughly 600 people, mostly Latino residents, their drinking water had been contaminated with nitrate, which is typically caused by the fertilizer used in agriculture.

Yeah people might be surprised to discover their tap water likely has a fluctuating amount of nitrates in it, though maybe not given the vast amounts of fertilizer and animal waste run off there is from modern agriculture (not to mention sewage discharges).

I certainly was surprised when I started dabbling in keeping aquarium species extremely sensitive to nitrate levels and spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't reduce my nitrate levels beyond a certain point and it only occurred to me to test my tap water after a very frustrating few weeks :v: I am on a public supply and am not surrounded by farms, so I assumed there would only be trace levels if any.

It was quite awhile after planning how to set up a reverse osmosis system to keep crustaceans safe that I was finally hit with "wait a minute, water with nitrates in it is bad for mammals too wtf". Here I thought I was just drinking plastics!

The "safe" level is apparently 10mg/l but one of the biggest dangers from nitrate exposure in drinking water in it is an increased risk of colon cancer, soooooo

(nitrate contamination of water sources is almost certainly not the only (or even the main?) reason colon cancer is seeing such a drastic increase in younger people, but it's not great either given just how much agricultural runoff there is into basically every water source on the planet now)

Enfys has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Jun 7, 2022

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1533703301908291586?s=20&t=1j083zuEkSOVITWtD61AXw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how in the goddamn hell lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

Yeah people might be surprised to discover their tap water likely has a fluctuating amount of nitrates in it, though maybe not given the vast amounts of fertilizer and animal waste run off there is from modern agriculture (not to mention sewage discharges).

I certainly was surprised when I started dabbling in keeping aquarium species extremely sensitive to nitrate levels and spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't reduce my nitrate levels beyond a certain point and it only occurred to me to test my tap water after a very frustrating few weeks :v: I am on a public supply and am not surrounded by farms, so I assumed there would only be trace levels if any.

It was quite awhile after planning how to set up a reverse osmosis system to keep crustaceans safe that I was finally hit with "wait a minute, water with nitrates in it is bad for mammals too wtf". Here I thought I was just drinking plastics!

The "safe" level is apparently 10mg/l but one of the biggest dangers from nitrate exposure in drinking water in it is an increased risk of colon cancer, soooooo

(nitrate contamination of water sources is almost certainly not the only (or even the main?) reason colon cancer is seeing such a drastic increase in younger people, but it's not great either given just how much agricultural runoff there is into basically every water source on the planet now)

I went to visit a friend in a different part of my metro area (a different county entirely) and when i washed my face in their sink it looked like I had received a chemical peel. I assume they lived near a confluence of Arby's and Chipotles and the city needed some extra stopping power or something but they said it was no different than usual and that they drank it regularly.

Thankfully I get my hydration from Mountain Dew Baha Blast.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

how in the goddamn hell lol

capitalism

e: also, can we not link to fascists itt, thanks? Even when they come to the right conclusions through the wrong lines of argument, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Venomous has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Jun 7, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Venomous posted:

capitalism

e: also, can we not link to fascists itt, thanks? Even when they come to the right conclusions through the wrong lines of argument, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

who? George Monbiot?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

mawarannahr posted:

who? George Monbiot?

NYTimes

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

got 'em

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

who? George Monbiot?

James Melville, but tbh I don't care for Monbiot either lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Vote.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

T-Paine posted:

Destroy infrastructure (legally and peacefully :allears:)

:hmmyes:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Love that it's illegal to discuss doing the only thing that could have ever saved us from the hell of our own creation (and could still potentially mitigate it to a worthwhile degree)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Minera posted:

Apparently he didn't last time either, someone posted bail for him. Where is this mysterious benefactor now? :thunk:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

T-Paine posted:

Love that it's illegal to discuss doing the only thing that could have ever saved us from the hell of our own creation (and could still potentially mitigate it to a worthwhile degree)

please continue to consume

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

goochtit posted:

Apparently he didn't last time either, someone posted bail for him. Where is this mysterious benefactor now? :thunk:

Probably saving their money if any random post referencing his past is a qualification for a ban.

I was going to post a free Rime thread but I thought someone had already paid it. I guess I will

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-Paine posted:

[redacted] all the rich people and launching [redacted] weapons to destroy capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lol at all the idiots like 'individual choices don't matter just drive an expedition and burn your trash, who cares'. Self inflicted guilt is damaging to the psyche so if it bothers you don't do it. So simple. Pls take care dumb asses