Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I didn't know you could boil potato wedges before putting them in the oven. Man what an improvement, apparently this is a british thing, how chips are made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

His Divine Shadow posted:

I didn't know you could boil potato wedges before putting them in the oven. Man what an improvement, apparently this is a british thing, how chips are made?

Uh yeah. Do the same for roast potatoes too, boil/steam for around 10 mins then rough them up a bit before coating in whatever (preferably goose fat and salt) then into the oven.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Idk about chips, I don't trust myself with a deep fryer. Not in terms of kitchen safety, more that I would deep fry anything I find in the fridge

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, potatoes are best cooked in stages, with a chance to cool a bit between each one. You simmer them until they start to soften, fluff up the edges with a fork or very gentle tossing, then cook them properly. For the absolute best wedges you deep fry them at 130C after the first stage to get a light crispy coating, then deep fry at 170C after they've cooled down to finish them off. Otherwise just oil them up and oven cook them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Ah yes, the netflix model. Famously doing well in 2022 with a market full of bloodthirsty competitors with huge budgets. Totally not like the healthcare market at all.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/ne...US%20operation.

Well yeah, Netflix's problem is a lack of subscribers. The government's COVID policy will ensure NHS demand remains at record levels for years to come!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
For oven chips, always par boil in water (with some vinegar) for about 10 mins. Then brush with olive oil and stick them in the oven till they are crispy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, potatoes are best cooked in stages, with a chance to cool a bit between each one.
In the first stage, the mercantilist stage, the economic power seeks new land and resources to sustain productive capacity and returns with a potato.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

You have to par-boil 'em, or they'll be burnt to a crisp before they're cooked through in the deep-fat fryer.

I think though I have seen Heston Blumenthal or someone said cook them at a low temperature in oil for a while, to actually cook them, leave them in the fridge for a few hours, and then blast them really hot for a bit until crispy.

I think Heston might even cook chips three times or something silly like that.

And charge you 450 quid for it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Triple cooked chips are basically mash in a crispy coating, they are one of the highest forms of being that a potato can aspire to achieve.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dead Goon posted:

You have to par-boil 'em, or they'll be burnt to a crisp before they're cooked through in the deep-fat fryer.

I think though I have seen Heston Blumenthal or someone said cook them at a low temperature in oil for a while, to actually cook them, leave them in the fridge for a few hours, and then blast them really hot for a bit until crispy.

I think Heston might even cook chips three times or something silly like that.

And charge you 450 quid for it.

Yeah they’re triple cooked, once par-boiled until very soft, then cooled, then fried for a short time, then cooled again, then fried one more time. I’ve done it once and it makes great chips but is an incredible faff.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Noxville posted:

Yeah they’re triple cooked, once par-boiled until very soft, then cooled, then fried for a short time, then cooled again, then fried one more time. I’ve done it once and it makes great chips but is an incredible faff.

I have heard that when you're doing this method, that freezing them in between the first fry and the second makes them even crispier, in addition to letting you get the vast majority of the faff out of the way separately to when you want to actually eat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not sure which delusional fantasy world I prefer.

Daily Expresses Jimmy Johnson Boy Genius

Or the Telegraph's whatever the gently caress this is

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rude of the telly to get my hopes up

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

New pitch for a netflix show: An ironic brooker / iannuci style examination of the events that led to our current political situation. Beginning with the shot of Cameron walking away from the podium humming and ending with... Well, this. Led by a former labour leader the show would break down exactly what's wrong and exactly how it's not only the tories fault, but the fault of the individual members of parliament as well as the ideology they represent.

We could call it "Chaos, with Ed Milliband."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

very gentle tossing

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

one of the highest forms of being that a potato can aspire to achieve.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/1JacketRequired/status/1534143179800432644?t=iv0KR_0A7lBi3PwrKlYQ8Q&s=19

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1534181865703280647

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay can one of you English people confirm, did you actually have Blockbusters* back in the time of VHS and DVD rentals?

Like over in Ireland it was mostly small local stores with Xtra-vision being the only nationwide chain of video rental stores. I don't think we had Blockbusters here at all.

Did you have them over in the UK or was it a different chain. Since I thought that Blockbusters was more an American chain, and if so this whole analogy takes on a whole new meaning.

*= Not the gameshow on TV, since I remember that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah we had them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ah Blockbuster, long running institution that many people have fond memories and nostalgia for, and you could buy popcorn.

Netflix cheap subscription service with weak selection of films and extremely low tier original content.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 7, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they're going to do lovely business analogies then why not do walmart and undercut the competition with massive central planning and state backed procurement loopholes?

The Question IRL posted:

I preferred Catchphrase.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The Question IRL posted:

Okay can one of you English people confirm, did you actually have Blockbusters* back in the time of VHS and DVD rentals?

Like over in Ireland it was mostly small local stores with Xtra-vision being the only nationwide chain of video rental stores. I don't think we had Blockbusters here at all.

Did you have them over in the UK or was it a different chain. Since I thought that Blockbusters was more an American chain, and if so this whole analogy takes on a whole new meaning.

We had Ritz who Blockbuster bought then rebranded. I worked in a blockbuster for almost 8 years. Was one of the best jobs I ever had.

Pay was poo poo but I got free films and games and we used to barely do any work. Was great.

Blockbuster also bought Xtra-vision in ireland, but for what ever reason only rebranded a minority of them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 7, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

If we can devise a way to expose all TERFs to 3.6 Röntgen that would be great, not terrible

3.6 röntgender criticality incident.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Blockbuster was good, we then had Lovefilm for a while who sent you DVDs through the post(!) picked semi-randomly from your wishlist.

A weird time, for sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Or the Telegraph's whatever the gently caress this is

I think this is probably about a book that was written somewhat recently wherein there is a zombie apocalypse caused by testosterone that turns you into a mudermonster, so the only surviving people are cis women and some trans people who have managed to keep their T levels low enough. JK rowling is in it and there are terfs who are going around killing people and Rowling accidentally burns down her castle that she has locked her self in to escape the zombies while tweeting support like a normal billionaire activist at the end of the world.

It's a satire or something, too gory for my taste but the terves went loving mental about it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I used to rent dvds from blockbuster to watch on my tiny sd tv via a ps2 that sounded like a rocket taking off. A few movies would cost the same as a months worth of netflix. Definitely puts things in perspective in that respect.

e-

sebzilla posted:

Blockbuster was good, we then had Lovefilm for a while who sent you DVDs through the post(!) picked semi-randomly from your wishlist.

A weird time, for sure.

Do you remember those weird vending machine type things they would have outside supermarkets?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
My favourite outcome of VONCGATE is watching the Guardian editorialists tie themselves in knots as they struggle to actually have a relevant point of view without actually saying the quiet bit out loud. The flip-flopping over the last 48 hours has been a joy to behold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

My favourite outcome of VONCGATE is watching the Guardian editorialists tie themselves in knots as they struggle to actually have a relevant point of view without actually saying the quiet bit out loud. The flip-flopping over the last 48 hours has been a joy to behold.

What are they struggling with? He's an oik but enough of the tory party think he's useful to them that they won't get rid of him. Seems simple even from a liberal point of view you would hope.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

3.6 röntgender criticality incident.

A gender critical mass.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

A weird time, for sure.

I accidentally stole a disc of Star Trek DS9 from Lovefilm, and then they died before I found it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jedit posted:

A gender critical mass.

He has a name!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think this is probably about a book that was written somewhat recently wherein there is a zombie apocalypse caused by testosterone that turns you into a mudermonster, so the only surviving people are cis women and some trans people who have managed to keep their T levels low enough. JK rowling is in it and there are terfs who are going around killing people and Rowling accidentally burns down her castle that she has locked her self in to escape the zombies while tweeting support like a normal billionaire activist at the end of the world.

It's a satire or something, too gory for my taste but the terves went loving mental about it.
There's been a few books like that recently. This one is apparently about The Men by Sandra Newman, where everyone with XY chromosomes disappears and then crime and violence goes way down but then female supremacists start pogroms against trans guys or something, then there's Moths by Jane Hennigan (which I read last year) where a pandemic makes everyone with a 'male immune system' go psycho or die and it comes across very terfy at the start but then swings hard around to "no don't actually let these GC weirdos run your society even if male violence is a thing, medical science is better than ceding society to radfem-coded fascists", and then there's the one you mentioned.

I think in Moths at least Hennigan knows exactly what she's doing because there's a bit where all the surviving males are in prison camps and the enlightened GC leadership gives them JK Rowling books to keep them stupid and pliant lol.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

forkboy84 posted:

I accidentally stole a disc of Star Trek DS9 from Lovefilm, and then they died before I found it.

Same, but End of Days for me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1534182154216820737?s=19

Ook Ook you slag

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Should have been in the Jubilee parade instead of Pacman

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Donkey Kong engaging in the national pastime of colonialism too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He moved away because the queen kept comparing him to various foreign dignitaries.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

more like united kongdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
More like Donkey Bong.