Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: whatever

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

twistedmentat posted:

As i said, the Aftermath trilogy and a bunch of other books put out fill in all the story. That the Rebels fought the remnants of the Empire for 3 years until the battle of Jakku and defeated them yet again. Admerial Ray Sloan takes a big bunch of what was left after the battle and travels to the Unknown Regions. There they Met Snoke who transformed them from the Imperial Remnants to the First Order. When they came back they were small, only a handful of ships but they were powerful enough that the New Republic didn't want to risk starting a war with them because of this incredibly naive desire to not wanting to start a war again, so they just let them do whatever they wanted as long as they didn't just straight up attack the Republics major worlds. The First Order also had both sympathizers in the Senate and also just paid off a bunch as well to keep the Republic gridlocked in what to do with them.

There is zero of this communicated in the movie, the fact you have to go to novels to find this out was an incredibly stupid idea. A handful of people will read the books compared to those that will watch the films.

Imagine if Infinity War didn't exist and they had just gone with Endgame, and then marvel put out a graphic novel of what happened when Thanos won? It would be just as dumb.

Honestly the biggest issue with the Sequels is they thought they could get 3 directors who had very different levels of skill and skillsets involved with making films and not having any kind of over arching plan. All 3 should have at least been outlined and the directors said "you must do x y and z but you are free to do them however you want and also add whatever you want". It worked for marvel why not apply it to literally the biggest franchise they own after Mickey?
I think the idea of leaving a big enough gap that you could fill in a whole second prequel trilogy (and endless tv shows and novels and comics and whatnot) isn't really a bad one, but there was definitely a high level executive decision made to not communicate the new status quo for even a minute in the movies themselves and leave it all for the book nerds.

Also it means you have to be willing to recast actors and such when you do go and fill in the gaps and the current disney leadership that is all in on their digital ghoula technology doesn't seem suited for it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
oh my god shut the gently caress up about star wars

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking of which, I fundamentally do not understand that statement they put out saying "we're not going to be recasting actors based on time period anymore." Like, guys, you can't do that and simultaneously stripmine every facet of the movies (that take place across a diverse range of time periods) for further content. Even if I didn't find the way they turned Mark Hamill's likeness into a mannequin in Boba Fett right down to using a synthesized version of his voice creepy and gross, it's just nonsense.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

oh my god shut the gently caress up about star wars

Well MCU has kidna been mid recently and seems to have no direction. The shows have ranged from fine to whatever. Movies have been mostly forgettable except Spider-Man. There's only the social drama left.

On that topic I hated the forced insertion of Captian Marvel. Should've had the Black Widow film there. She hosed with the power scaling and they basically had to write her out of Endgame with stupid excuses. I don't really care about the other stuff. Who knows what the gently caress is going on with Black Panther. Just make M'Baku BP or cast a new man and call it day. No need to make it harder at this point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Let’s just tear the bandaid off and have the inevitable Star Wars/MCU crossover stunt, already.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Marsupial Ape posted:

Let’s just tear the bandaid off and have the inevitable Star Wars/MCU crossover stunt, already.

It's already been scripted and trial ballooned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY&t=45s

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RBX posted:

[Captain Marvel] hosed with the power scaling

funny how this always comes up but no one says anything about Wanda in MoM

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They are not comparable? One was pre endgame. The other is years(?) Later. You misunderstand the context.

If they introduced Captain Marvel after endgame she'd be much more well received.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Captain Marvel having to be off world for the infinity saga was better written than, say, Hulk gets whooped and then can't fight anymore

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RBX posted:

On that topic I hated the forced insertion of Captian Marvel. Should've had the Black Widow film there. She hosed with the power scaling and they basically had to write her out of Endgame with stupid excuses. I don't really care about the other stuff. Who knows what the gently caress is going on with Black Panther. Just make M'Baku BP or cast a new man and call it day. No need to make it harder at this point.

They wrote her into Endgame, not out. She filmed her Endgame stuff before her movie was even written because things got shuffled around a little and her movie was moved to before Endgame.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

kazil posted:

funny how this always comes up but no one says anything about Wanda in MoM

Because Wanda did nothing wrong (besides mind loving an entire town and trying to kill a teenager).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RBX posted:

power scaling

No two words make me check out of a conversation faster.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

ms marvel's comin out in like 2 days and i hope it's at least alright, cuz iman vellani is really endearing and as much of a huge nerd as her character

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

double negative posted:

ms marvel's comin out in like 2 days and i hope it's at least alright, cuz iman vellani is really endearing and as much of a huge nerd as her character

I'm fairly certain that I'm going to bruise my fingertips multiple times as I try to give her a hug through my computer screen.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The only problem with Captain Marvel as a movie is that she never kissed Maria even though the movie is like, a solid 40% lost husband coming home from the War in how it writes Carol and Maria and Monica’s situation.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

The only problem with Captain Marvel as a movie is that she never kissed Maria even though the movie is like, a solid 40% lost husband coming home from the War in how it writes Carol and Maria and Monica’s situation.

I forget, didn't WandaVision imply that Carol gave Maria cancer? Am I making up or did I read one of you goons suggest that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s a blank canvas for a non-comic book reader so it can only go up. I just hope it doesn’t spin it’s wheels which Moon Knight did IMO.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Marsupial Ape posted:

I forget, didn't WandaVision imply that Carol gave Maria cancer? Am I making up or did I read one of you goons suggest that?

It may have implied that Carol gave Maria cancer, but mostly Monica seems mad Carol abandoned them both again and Maria ended up dying whilst Carol was out being a space superhero.

Also maybe issues with Carol failing to stop Thanos from performing the Snap in the first place considering it's why Monica missed Maria's death maybe?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

It may have implied that Carol gave Maria cancer, but mostly Monica seems mad Carol abandoned them both again and Maria ended up dying whilst Carol was out being a space superhero.

Also maybe issues with Carol failing to stop Thanos from performing the Snap in the first place considering it's why Monica missed Maria's death maybe?

That was pretty much what I got. Also maybe a bit of if Carol had at least checked back every once in a while, she'd have learned that Maria had cancer and could've maybe taken Maria to some advanced civilization out in space and gotten it cured.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vintersorg posted:

It’s a blank canvas for a non-comic book reader so it can only go up. I just hope it doesn’t spin it’s wheels which Moon Knight did IMO.

An MCU show faffing about for half a season before delivering all its best ideas in the last couple of episodes? Impossible

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

kazil posted:

Captain Marvel having to be off world for the infinity saga was better written than, say, Hulk gets whooped and then can't fight anymore

The Hulk thing is a character beat that at least gets some justification, the Captain Marvel thing was bad because it was presented as the ace in the hole at the end of IW, but she spends 90% of Endgame doing sidequests instead of progressing the main story.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not seen the film in ages so I have no overall thesis to share, and I'm not invalid validation so I can't share their thesis, but I'd roughly agree with the sentiment that The Last Jedi did things differently.

It pokes fun or otherwise undermines a handful of sacred cows, which is IMO good -- Luke's a bit of a failed slob, the Han Solo archetype is problematised rather than lionised, etc. etc. -- and on a purely visual / aural level the space ship crash is unlike anything the series has ever produced before or since.

It also acknowledges that the Manichean values that underpin Star Wars are actually a bit simplistic (which echoes Chris Avellone's commentary about the entire Star Wars galaxy bending over backwards to accommodate a holy war between a handful of space wizards) when it suggests that the real villains to be the spectre of capitalist exploitation, and that Snoke et. al. are a distraction.

The final image suggests is also an empowering statement of a kind that the series doesn't really engage with; the anonymous slave kid, like Rey, isn't someone from some mystical lineage who's been born to great power / destiny / mystical goo gah wah woo whatever. He's not the hero with a thousand faces. But he can be a jedi -- a hero -- just like anyone else.

Of course Disney would never let something like stand though, so we got a deeply compromised film.

See, to me none of that is different though.

I liked grumpy Hermit Luke, but that's just also a retread of Old Ben Kenobi and Yoda.

I like that Rey doesn't have magic space blood, just like the kid at the end, but you know who else doesn't have magic space blood? Literally every other Jedi whose surname isn't Skywalker.

I wish they had undermined the rulebreaking rogue archetype but the movie, while trying to do so, just proves that Poe was correct in every single instance (apart from the end where he gets a bunch of people killed then changes his mind and the lesson we learn is uh)

The "capitalism bad" thing is some neoliberal "both sides" trash where somehow the rebels buying spaceships to blow up the fash spaceships means they're both as bad as each other somehow. There's probably a good point to be made exploring the subject, but a 20 second aside that is never touched upon again isn't particularly deep, even in films as shallow as these usually are. It's arguably just the Lando selling out to the Empire arc in ESB too.

Again, I'm fine with people liking the film. I personally think Rogue One is the best Star War, and some people think my fave is trash, it's a polarising franchise these days and that's been the case since Phantom Menace when suddenly we had to all factionalise into good vs. bad Star Wars.

Thanks for your input though. I kind of feel at this point that "doing something different" is almost a thing TLJ fans say to responsively defend the film they love, in the face of a whole lot of very bad faith criticism that film gets, as it's impossible to have an actual conversation about that movie these days as the well has been so poisoned by toxic nerds. I wish I could see TLJ as a noble failure, but I really can only see all the story beats from ESB, but with all the bad guy tech being bigger, and making less sense.

One more day until Ms. Marvel to rescue the thread, woo!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god no one cares

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rarity posted:

An MCU show faffing about for half a season before delivering all its best ideas in the last couple of episodes? Impossible

They should probably cut the first half and just release the good episodes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Parkingtigers posted:

it's a polarising franchise these days and that's been the case since Phantom Menace Return of the Jedi when suddenly we had to all factionalise into good vs. bad Star Wars.

Fixed that for you. Hell, I bet if you looked hard enough you can probably find some article from the early 80s about how Empire ruined the franchise.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

enki42 posted:

Fixed that for you. Hell, I bet if you looked hard enough you can probably find some article from the early 80s about how Empire ruined the franchise.

This literally happened and there's a good Movies With Mikey video that dives into it a bit. Lots of hardcore Star Wars fans hated Empire when it came out.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

idk why yall still talking about star wars itt when there’s a whole rear end thread for it elsewhere in this subforum, but the ms marvel review embargo is up, with pretty positive reactions, largely emphasizing the charm of the lead as expected.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Show better have an Embiggen scene or so help me god I'm taking this thread right back to Star Wars chat

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Infinitum posted:

Show better have an Embiggen scene or so help me god I'm taking this thread right back to Star Wars chat

Rumor is that they don't have an embiggen scene to keep her powers consistent with the new plot point of mirroring Captain Marvel, but they do have a perfectly cromulent scene with a reference to the comics powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They wrote her into Endgame, not out. She filmed her Endgame stuff before her movie was even written because things got shuffled around a little and her movie was moved to before Endgame.

Captain Marvel was always supposed to come out before Endgame; it was just that the scale of Endgame's production and the consequent scheduling meant that Larson's scenes for Endgame ended up being filmed first.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

best you’re gonna get is a pseudo-embiggen with her hard light power as you see at 0:16 here
https://twitter.com/Mcu_Master01/status/1534130572691288064?s=20&t=IPv7vawUQForXfdebLI7RA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spermando posted:

The Hulk thing is a character beat that at least gets some justification, the Captain Marvel thing was bad because it was presented as the ace in the hole at the end of IW, but she spends 90% of Endgame doing sidequests instead of progressing the main story.

Considering the way the story went in Endgame I think having Captain Marvel running around just off screen for long stretches of the movie was the right call. The Time Heist wasn't a punching problem, and was instead about the original Avengers coming to terms with whatever their particular issue was so they could face the final battle, more or less. Including Danvers in that doesn't really get you anything, she'd be like Rhodey, Scott or Rocket, just kind of there kibitzing about the old movies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

double negative posted:

best you’re gonna get is a pseudo-embiggen with her hard light power as you see at 0:16 here
https://twitter.com/Mcu_Master01/status/1534130572691288064?s=20&t=IPv7vawUQForXfdebLI7RA

Someone should really kill Mr Fantastic so we can have comic accurate Kamala

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was the right call because she could just effortlessly punk Thanos and his entire fleet at any time

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I still wonder what the real explanation for the Ms. Marvel powers change is; the only response I've seen from Marvel Studios creatives in interviews is some kind of vague PR-speak about "connecting to future stories in the MCU" or whatever, which is effectively meaningless

guessing it was some combination of her comics powers being too similar to Reed Richards', the stretching powers being difficult to pull off on a Disney+ budget (which is high by TV standards but a decent bit cheaper than the films), and a concern that she might seem underpowered in The Marvels in comparison to Carol Danvers

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Someone should really kill Mr Fantastic so we can have comic accurate Kamala

Listen here buddy...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

I still wonder what the real explanation for the Ms. Marvel powers change is; the only response I've seen from Marvel Studios creatives in interviews is some kind of vague PR-speak about "connecting to future stories in the MCU" or whatever, which is effectively meaningless

They want her powerset to fit in more with the other leads in The Marvels + the MCU Inhumans bombed + stretchy powers on TV are extremely offputting (I love Doom Patrol but they are already dabbling in an amount of body horror that would be out of place in a D+ series that they are aiming at younger audiences)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

stretchy powers on TV are extremely offputting

It's this. Also it's probably a lot more work to make CGI stretchy powers in extended fights compared to "shoots beams" or "is stronk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The (brief) stretchy stuff in Multiverse of Madness was super uncanny valley, and that was with a movie budget (like how disturbing the movie Hulk CG is if he's in human skin tones not green)