Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stux posted:

hey im just a simple man. looking for my daily lols. any links to especially epic fails?

Content locust, smh

https://i.imgur.com/ADGoeGy.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Asking questions on Spectrum? That's a paddlin'.

Funniest thing was, apart from a couple knights telling OP he shouldn't be flaming most answers were polite and infromative, oh well, can't have perceived dissent turning away potential suckers.

Also, it's nice how no one ever asks why the mods don't just delete whoever isn't behaving well in the comments rather than always locking the whole thread, weird uh?

This probably would have gone on for at least a few more hours before locking if he mentioned some of the key pieces:
1: Infinite love of Chris
2: how long he was a backer
3: how much money he donated
4: repeat of how much love and trust he has in Chris

And then instead of a whole list of questions, you can ask one. Then you wait a week and ask another using the same method of praise as above.

This tactic should eventually get you all your answers in a few months. Which in sc development time is literally almost negative time. So in reality you haven't asked your questions yet until you have built your first question asking company 5 years from the last question you ask.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Stux attempting to troll this thread and it falling totally flat because SC is indeed very dumb and funny to mock is just precious

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stux posted:

hey im just a simple man. looking for my daily lols. any links to especially epic fails?

https://www.starcitizen.com

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Spectrum user explains why Star Citizen development is industry standard.

quote:

It appears you do not have an understanding of the common software development lifecycle they've adopted. It makes sense, as unless you've worked in this space, you wouldn't have been exposed to it.

Quarterly releases as they're termed (once every 3 months; 4 times a year) are the most common release cycle in internal development , whether you follow the Agile development methodology (as CIG does), older Waterfall methodologies, it really doesn't matter.

:laffo: It's super important to understand that CIG is a professional company with extremely seasoned game development veterans. They fully understand what they are doing, and should be commended for how strictly they are adhering to proven processes to get the game released (Agile with Sprints, pipeline designs, etc.) :laffo:

I understand your frustration with the bugs, but we are in Alpha - which is NOT an arbitrary thing that CIG defined. It is, again, and industry standard term, well defined and clearly articulated in terms of what occurs during an Alpha phase of development. They are adhering to the guidelines and specifications of what an Alpha is, to a "T", with one exception - they are letting all of us play it during Alpha development. That is highly unusual. Usually they'll have a CLOSED Alpha with a very small group of testers (think Evoacti), but they've chosen a more "Open Beta" approach to end-user testing during the Alpha stage. That's why we have access as if it were in Beta, but all the bugs of it being in Alpha. We, generally, are having a hard time as a community coming to grips with that reality.

Hope this helps!

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Stux attempting to troll this thread and it falling totally flat because SC is indeed very dumb and funny to mock is just precious

Are they some SC nerd? They're a very bad poster.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mellow_ posted:

I think they just like shitposting

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Mellow_ posted:

Stux is a truth-teller and people can't handle it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Do you think CIG devs read this poo poo and laugh at it themselves?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I've never worked at a place that did quarterly internal builds, that's insane. Quarterly release builds? Sure.

.random
May 7, 2007

Popete posted:

I've never worked at a place that did quarterly internal builds, that's insane. Quarterly release builds? Sure.

I guess someone has never heard of QIQD. It’s an industry-standard term for “Quarterly Integration, Quarterly Deployment” and the fact that you’ve never even heard of it says more about you than about CIG.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

.random posted:

I guess someone has never heard of QIQD. It’s an industry-standard term for “Quarterly Integration, Quarterly Deployment” and the fact that you’ve never even heard of it says more about you than about CIG.

Can't tell if this is a joke or real

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Do you think CIG devs read this poo poo and laugh at it themselves?

I do wonder if devs read this blatant white knighting and what that does for moral. Even if no single dev is directly responsible you've been missing deadlines going on 10 years now and the game is still nowhere close to release but the community won't hold you accountable and in fact says everything is going exactly to plan.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

goonsirs a link if you would, especially if it contains the most hearty of lols. tis what i need this day

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

goonsirs a link if you would, especially if it contains the most hearty of lols. tis what i need this day

here you go

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

LCL-Dead posted:

Do you think CIG devs read this poo poo and laugh at it cry themselves to sleep?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

.random posted:

drat you really got this Shitizen poo poo posting down.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

random is Monocle Cat's alt

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I encourage anyone to go into a meeting room with Serious People and tell them that you will be in alpha for a decade.

See how that goes for you.

You can tell me how well it went when you're taking my order at McDonald's sometime. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
One of the key pieces to software development is also a marketing one, that is critically tied to development, which is the catalyst to timing.

A critical piece is delivering the right product at the right time to the right people.

If any only these isn't in line, your startup flies off into the land of slow death, or your great genius project gets no traction and dies off after nobody cares about it.

However, regardless of looking at waterfall or agile or really any project release solution, everything revolves around delivering a product.

SC could be considered normal at this point if they acknowledged they were officially released and are in maintenance mode. This is fine too, look at games like no mans sky, or even bigger platforms like windows or SaaS solutions all over the internet.

The problem is cig is refusing to announce the game as officially released because it's in terrible condition no matter how you look at it. :shrug:

I'm sorry your game sucks, but you still need to release it. You can hope to make it better with updates, but hiding behind perpetual development and "alpha" is silly.

Especially since alpha is for internal testing, no end users should see the alpha. That's a beta, and the beta should be much better than the alpha too.

The only thing this equates to is new project management which is closer to "sponge rubes of money" type cycles. Each sprint you come up with worthless goals, nonsensical requirements, and you have annual successes and failures of meaningless technology words that you create on the fly to indicate false progress.

Release notes:
* added spider metric networking to the cloud function
* updated tangible database touches to better quantify disk location, speeding up remote access by 120%
* tightened the graphics on level 3
* removed binary compiling of packets sent via secure network to identify issue identified by a user, which resulted in a 10% latency improvement
* sorted an audio issue with doors closing that caused stutter
* improved linked topology sorting of pointer lists in streaming to the core server housing, allowing for more flexibility for future additions

Then just do this for 10 pages and write a new one when you thrown out another fake update about all the "work" you do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All these supposed software devs defending CIG if they went to school for Computer Science probably heard about the bike shed effect at some point and how you could look at CIG and not see that is exactly what's happening is pretty funny.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen

Spectrum on the LGBTQ Contest be like: posted:

quote:

My theory is that the majority of people who actually make comments on spectrum are people that belong to the refund sub, and are not people who actually play the game. They're being toxic just for the sake of being toxic and to make the game and community look bad

quote:

I can't seem to discuss it at all online unless I align 100% with the opinions of those that are pushing it without facing backlash. I have to agree with the hivemind.

I cannot have a respectful or civil discussion/debate about it in any regard without being called names, threatened, or being labelled negatively.

I have to show absolute positive support or I am labelled a bigot or homophobe. "Silence is violence." I'm being forced to pick a side.

The absolutism is appalling and very scary. It reminds me of what the brown shirts did pre-WW2 in Nazi Germany to drive alignment with Nazism and oust those who could not be aligned. Exact same tactics. History is repeating itself in the country I took refuge in. Sad thing is this appears to be happening all over the world. And this behavior doesn't just dwell around LGB topics.. it's almost anything these days: abortion, gun rights, free speech, transgenderism (I consider it separate from sexuality), free elections, etc.. all those topics seem to draw out this air of militant absolutism from one or more sides.

This is exactly what the communists in my old country did to my family simply because of our ethnicity. It's terrifying to me.

quote:

So you are saying the majority of people are homophobes and want them to be ridiculed. You want the majority of people ridiculed? Im pretty sure most people dont give a drat, they just dont want agendas pushed in their face. And for a company like cig its just a marketing stunt, basically checkmark virtue signalling on their resume. Same with all other big cooperations. I dont like the taste of brocolli, I tolerate people who like brocolli, but I will get annoyed if you try to shove one down my throat telling me Im supposed to enjoy it and if I dont Im a bigot. For some reason tolerance is not enough anymore, you have to support stuff.

quote:

“Survive and thrive” lol. Also, so true, gays are very oppressed, it’s not like every major corporation and politician bows down to them and any doubt upon their biological abnormalities is met with ostracization

quote:

You would think so, but unfortunately you can't go anywhere without people shoving their ideology down your throat.

quote:

Maybe people are just tired of this poo poo being shoved in peoples faces. The gently caress does it have to do with SC.

quote:

Good, gently caress lgbtrash, bunch of toxic garbage.

quote:

There's just about nothing worse than corporate pandering. There wouldn't be nasty comments if people just kept what should be private, private.

quote:

Please why do people have to bring this stuff into the game i like?
I dont want to hear about someones sexual preferences, no more than anyone wants to hear about mine in a gaming community no less. I normally ignore such posts but ranting this once. Because I know mindset that gets so easily shall we say, triggered.

quote:

Its an international game, the west makes up a tiny fraction of the world’s population, and the rest of the worlds population doesn’t share the wests views about the LGBTQIA+25/383-4 community.

Lots of people in the west dont share those progressive views either, so kick back should not be unexpected.

quote:

You don't either apparently

quote:

I dont have an opinion on them either way.

Line up ten straight girls and ten lesbians and I will quite happily sleep with all of them.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I can't seem to discuss it at all online unless I align 100% with the opinions of those that are pushing it without facing backlash. I have to agree with the hivemind.

I cannot have a respectful or civil discussion/debate about it in any regard without being called names, threatened, or being labelled negatively.

I have to show absolute positive support or I am labelled a bigot or homophobe. "Silence is violence." I'm being forced to pick a side.

The absolutism is appalling and very scary. It reminds me of what the brown shirts did pre-WW2 in Nazi Germany to drive alignment with Nazism and oust those who could not be aligned. Exact same tactics. History is repeating itself in the country I took refuge in. Sad thing is this appears to be happening all over the world. And this behavior doesn't just dwell around LGB topics.. it's almost anything these days: abortion, gun rights, free speech, transgenderism (I consider it separate from sexuality), free elections, etc.. all those topics seem to draw out this air of militant absolutism from one or more sides.

This is exactly what the communists in my old country did to my family simply because of our ethnicity. It's terrifying to me.

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm not a racist but spotted in the wild.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I encourage anyone to go into a meeting room with Serious People and tell them that you will be in alpha for a decade.

See how that goes for you.

You can tell me how well it went when you're taking my order at McDonald's sometime. :)

Why would someone like that remain hired by McDonalds? They would just keep suggesting that the next "special" menu item should take 15 years and $400 million to develop before it's served to a single paying customer.

.random
May 7, 2007

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Can't tell if this is a joke or real

Mellow_ posted:

drat you really got this Shitizen poo poo posting down.

DaysBefore posted:

random is Monocle Cat's alt

Oh god, what have I become? :smithicide:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Mirificus posted:

r/starcitizen

from a game with "inevitable consequences of space piracy" when there were only twink character models in game for years this is surprising

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jeff Gerstman just got a question about AAAA games

Someone posted Star Citizen is AAAA in the chat within seconds.

good job goon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Spectrum being entirely populated by refundian haters has to be one of their most hilarious conspiracy theories.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Mild mannered Midlander and scorned Elite Dangerous fan Obsidian Ant climbs up onto his usual perch atop the fence he's built over the years to opine on Star Citizen "4.0"...

https://youtu.be/hIfQpqNTEoc

It's a densely argued, even-handed and cogent dissection of oh gently caress it who am I kidding I haven't bothered watching it, have at it any of you who can be arsed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

All these supposed software devs defending CIG if they went to school for Computer Science probably heard about the bike shed effect at some point and how you could look at CIG and not see that is exactly what's happening is pretty funny.

I find it difficult to believe anyone defending CIGs developers processes and quoting specific project management disciplines has successfully worked in an actual commercial software environment before.

When you work with real professionals, not only do they like the strict workplace (by strict I mean you are adhering somewhat to some flavor of some known development and deployment method) and deadlines to meet, they would be horribly bored and distressed if they did not have them. That's why not only do you have professional devs, you have professional supporting teams around them to keep feeding them new information and requirements. If any part of that structure isn't up to standard it usually gets fixed with the right people and processes.

I'm not sure I know of many professional devs who would just be happy with doing their own thing and playing for a year or so on something non-critical or impactful to the software. That's called a hobby, not a job.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Mild mannered Midlander and scorned Elite Dangerous fan Obsidian Ant climbs up onto his usual perch atop the fence he's built over the years to opine on Star Citizen "4.0"...

It's a densely argued, even-handed and cogent dissection of oh gently caress it who am I kidding I haven't bothered watching it, have at it any of you who can be arsed.

I didn't watch the video but even the description is just towing the line of "Star Citizen it could be amazing... or not!" not wanting to offend anyone by making any sort of claim.

Obsidian Ant posted:

Star Citizen 4.0 could very well be one of the most important steps for the space game genre for years. Of course, there's no way to tell for sure until CIG release it - however there's a number of reasons that it could well achieve things that no other space game yet has.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

I didn't watch the video but even the description is just towing the line of "Star Citizen it could be amazing... or not!" not wanting to offend anyone by making any sort of claim.

Obsidian Ant posted:

Star Citizen 4.0 could very well be one of the most important steps for the space game genre for years. Of course, there's no way to tell for sure until CIG release it - however there's a number of reasons that it could well achieve things that no other space game yet has.

Well he's got that right but I'm pretty sure not in the way he means.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dwesa posted:

Uh, I wish had patience to watch it, is it good? I only skimmed comments and I see none of the alleged positive turn in public perception of SC. I wonder where are all the awestruck "ED refugees" and such :lol:

I thought it was very good!

It goes surprisingly deep, like in the funding and ancient history, and is very well-written. Also has some quotable lines in there. I didn't think anyone outside of this thread would be brainbroken enough to know all that stuff.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Popete posted:

I will hear no criticism of ObsidianAnt! I really like to put him on when I just want to chill and fly around in a sim or whatever. He's indeed very softspoken and and just generally very charitable to the things he covers, such as with his very detailed MSFS updates.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I thought it was very good!

It goes surprisingly deep, like in the funding and ancient history, and is very well-written. Also has some quotable lines in there. I didn't think anyone outside of this thread would be brainbroken enough to know all that stuff.

I will hear no criticism of ObsidianAnt! I really like to put him on when I just want to chill and fly around in a sim or whatever. He's indeed very softspoken and and just generally very charitable to the things he covers, such as with his very detailed MSFS updates.

I don't dislike him for the most part, I enjoy his MSFS videos to catch up on updates but when it comes to Star Citizen he is very much one of those YouTube content creators who never wants to call out a video game for being bad because it might offend some of his viewers so he always just hedges everything with "but we will see!".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I will criticize the living poo poo out of ObsidianAnt for packing thirty seconds of content into 7-10 minutes of filler in every god drat video

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

FishMcCool posted:

Spectrum being entirely populated by refundian haters has to be one of their most hilarious conspiracy theories.

The refundians were created by Chris.
They evolved.
They rebelled.
There are many users.
They look and feel like commandos.
Some are programmed to think they are commandos.

And they have a plan.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Popete posted:

I don't dislike him for the most part, I enjoy his MSFS videos to catch up on updates but when it comes to Star Citizen he is very much one of those YouTube content creators who never wants to call out a video game for being bad because it might offend some of his viewers so he always just hedges everything with "but we will see!".

Eh I mean would you want a bunch of butthurt Citizens making GBS threads up your comments?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Kesper North posted:

I will criticize the living poo poo out of ObsidianAnt for packing thirty seconds of content into 7-10 minutes of filler in every god drat video

That’s my main problem with him. I’ve never been able to finish his videos, they are too drat slow and long winded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kesper North posted:

'none of the new features worked and the game kept crashing preventing me from playing it much but its looking amazing and there is so much potential and I can't wait to see where star citizen goes in the future' - the entire content of every obsidian ant video ever

dude loving sucks and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever