Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Hullo
We recently completed a rebuild of our winter home after a fire and now there is all sorts of connected things here, heatpump, ventilation, cameras, etc.

I'd like to give home assistant a try and I have a old intel 7700k on itx board and I was wondering what OS version of home assistant would be the simplest option?
-should restart on its own after power outage
-option to run fancier motion detection for the cameras on the same pc

Thankee in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Oovee posted:

Hullo
We recently completed a rebuild of our winter home after a fire and now there is all sorts of connected things here, heatpump, ventilation, cameras, etc.

I'd like to give home assistant a try and I have a old intel 7700k on itx board and I was wondering what OS version of home assistant would be the simplest option?
-should restart on its own after power outage
-option to run fancier motion detection for the cameras on the same pc

Thankee in advance

Turning back on after losing power is usually a BIOS function so your choice of OS shouldn't matter there. I used to run HA on a Windows VM but switched to the generic x86 version of the OS running on bare metal once I moved it from my NAS to its own little Dell Optiplex. It really doesn't make much of a difference as far as I've seen other than meaning that all that machine does is Home Assistant and removes needing to maintain both the OS and Home Assistant. I guess there's potentially more complexity in a VM setup with the whole peeing back in thing since you need to make sure the VM also automatically starts back up in addition to the host computer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I got my little M920 up with HA and HB under Proxmox; out of the box, having some ffmpeg errors get thrown by the HB UniFi Protect plug-in; I think it’s not sampling enough frames to figure out the frame rate or something like that.

Looking at the source code, I can’t find any trace of how it’s using 2000… from the source it’s either 4000 frames or no option at all. Anyone seen this before?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Amazon Cloud Cam's have an EOL date announced now, got this email yesterday:

quote:

An Important Message about your Cloud Cam

With your help over the last five years, Cloud Cam has served as a reliable indoor security camera and a hub for Amazon Key-compatible smart locks that work with Alexa. As the number of Alexa smart home devices continues to grow, we are focusing efforts on Ring, Blink, and other technologies that make your home smarter and simplify your everyday routines. Therefore, we have decided to no longer continue support for Amazon Cloud Cam and its companion apps.

What this means for you:
On December 2, 2022, you will no longer be able to use your Cloud Cam device or its companion apps. Until then, you will be able to download any video recordings if available. All video history will be deleted on December 2, 2022. Also, if you are using Cloud Cam – Key Edition as a Zigbee hub, you will no longer be able to use it to connect to compatible locks or manage pin codes in the Amazon Key app.

What’s next:
To thank you for your continuous support and feedback, we would like to offer you a complimentary Blink Mini and one-year Blink Subscription Plus Plan. Blink Mini offers customers an easy-to-use, indoor security camera experience with 1080p HD video, 2.4 GHz Wifi connectivity, night vision, motion detection, two-way audio, and works with Alexa. The Blink Subscription Plus Plan provides extra features and benefits for Blink devices – learn more https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/subscriptions/purchasing-a-blink-subscription-plan-through-amazon#plans.

Additionally, we would also like to offer you a free Echo (4th gen), which serves as a Zigbee hub so that you can remotely control your connected lock with Alexa.

Prior to December 2, 2022, you will receive detailed instructions on how to redeem your free Blink Mini and Blink Subscription Plus Plan along with a free Echo (4th gen) via email.

Downloading and deleting your video recordings:
To back up your videos from Cloud Cam app, go to Recorded Clips in the top right menu. Click on each individual video and click on the Download icon on the right side to save the video or click on the Trash icon next to it to delete the video. You could also delete all videos on Amazon Manage Your Content and Devices at any time.

If you have any questions about this, please reach out to customer service for additional information.

I finally got my last G4 Instant that I've been replacing my Cloud Cam's with and I was going to list my 10 Cloud Cam's for sale next week. There goes that plan!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fletcher posted:

Amazon Cloud Cam's have an EOL date announced now, got this email yesterday:

I finally got my last G4 Instant that I've been replacing my Cloud Cam's with and I was going to list my 10 Cloud Cam's for sale next week. There goes that plan!

You can still grab a free echo, blink cam & sub and list those for sale. At least those will still have a residual value.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Lol is there no way to use the camera as a local only device?

How many perfectly functional devices is amazon bricking with this decision?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Lol is there no way to use the camera as a local only device?

How many perfectly functional devices is amazon bricking with this decision?

If there was any decent user base amazon would have provided a new firmware to move the cams over blink rather than killing them. Who knows, maybe some linux tinkerer will make an alternative firmware to turn them into RTMP cameras or something.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Speaking of local only cameras, does anyone have any good recommendations on some?

The house I bought has a couple of dome cameras (I think they're fakes) and I was hoping to keep the form factor when replacing them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Greatbacon posted:

Speaking of local only cameras, does anyone have any good recommendations on some?

The house I bought has a couple of dome cameras (I think they're fakes) and I was hoping to keep the form factor when replacing them.

I've been using Reolinks for quite a while and they work just fine (as long as they are on their own VLAN with no internet access because they constantly try to call home to china)

https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Secu...ps%2C595&sr=8-3

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Greatbacon posted:

I usually grab hikvision or dahua but prices have hiked hard so those might be out of your budget.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any suggestions for tracking the lock on my patio door? Don't need a smart lock (since I don't think one exists) but I'd like to track if the door is locked or not.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gyshall posted:

Any suggestions for tracking the lock on my patio door? Don't need a smart lock (since I don't think one exists) but I'd like to track if the door is locked or not.

Any window opening sensor would fit on that door, like the eve window sensor. You would get an open/closed notification. Mechanical lock status would require a new block and possibly door if it uses a custom block size/format.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Gyshall posted:

I remember a thread in the HomeAssistant forums where people were talking about opening up Aqara or Xiaomi door sensors, extending the sensor wires into the lock bolt recess and sticking a magnet on the end of the bolt. You could also probably do something similar and easier since your door's lock is a lever style lock, stick a magnet on it and put a magnetic door sensor on the lock position side.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just get any sort of magnetic door sensor and just glue or tape a magnet to that lock part, stick the sensor nearby and it will work fine. Any classic "door open" sensor will work for this, you just won't want to use the magnet that comes with it because it would be too large to fit on that handle.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for some recommendations on lighting control for a renovation I am working on, here is the rundown of requirements:

I need to control 6 different lighting circuits. All circuits must be dimmable. I need control through wall switches, while having an app for setup and occasional use is not a problem, I do not want to use an app as a primary controller. The lights themselves have a variety of form factors and applications, so control must be managed by the switches, not the bulbs. I would like the ability to set a few different scenes, so I can 1 button press and have all 6 move to a predetermined state. I would like to avoid reliance on the cloud for actual day to day functionality, I don't have an issue with a local hub, but I don't want to have to hit an external server to dim the lights. I have no desire to automate anything beyond activating preset scenes.

Currently I am not invested in any particular ecosystem, so there are no concerns there. I have a few Insteon (lol) lamp plugs, but they are simplistic and fully independently functional. Future expandability is something I would like to consider, but I currently have no additional known uses. I am reasonably tech savvy and run a home server anyway so I can handle some DIY if needed.

I am looking at Lutron Caseta stuff, but my knowledge is very limited here, all suggestions welcome.

edit: I have a neutral everywhere so no concerns on that.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 4, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Any recommendations for a smart doorbell that doesn’t phone home or needs a subscription?

I don’t have any home automation (yet!) besides a standalone Nest cam watching my yard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LochNessMonster posted:

Any recommendations for a smart doorbell that doesn’t phone home or needs a subscription?

I don’t have any home automation (yet!) besides a standalone Nest cam watching my yard.

The Eufy stuff is probably worth a look

https://us.eufylife.com/collections/video-doorbell

They also have a combo lock/doorbell/cam coming out on kickstarter but it just got delayed shipment til july (I bought in to that)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eufy-security/integrating-a-2k-cam-doorbell-and-fingerprint-smart-lock

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a home entertainment stand with two glass door and six shelves. I’d like to run six lines of color changing lights along the top of those shelves, about 2 feet long each. Hopefully something where they all have a home run to a single power adapter. I have Home Assistant and a Zigbee adapter. What’s my best, non-Hue option?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Check my recent posts (“?” On me), I have a BOM of two different ones. The mini one I used in my latest project is good, but the spring loaded sockets really need 16AWG cable. I don’t know of any good screw-post ones.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I just got ESPresence up and running and it's super amazing. I want to buy a decent quantity of BLE beacons to slap on things that tend to wander around the house, but paying something like $25+ per beacon for a Tile or Air Tag kinda hurts the wallet, especially when I spent a grand total of $30 on all the ESP32s I needed to network my house with ESPresence. Anyone know of leads on cheap BLE tags / beacons?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm looking for a doorbell cam and two floodlight cams that I can speak through that are very good at distinguishing when people are actually in the yard vs just walking by and can tell the difference between a person and a dog/raccoon/cat. I have a lot of foot traffic in front of my house and my front door is very close to the sidewalk. I don't want a ton of alerts for people walking past and enjoying the park.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I'm looking for a doorbell cam and two floodlight cams that I can speak through that are very good at distinguishing when people are actually in the yard vs just walking by and can tell the difference between a person and a dog/raccoon/cat. I have a lot of foot traffic in front of my house and my front door is very close to the sidewalk. I don't want a ton of alerts for people walking past and enjoying the park.

Eufy's doorbell should be able to do most of this. You'd probably have to set a motion zone for your walkway/yard to not get pinged for people that are just walking by but it does have people detection so it shouldn't buzz you for animals. I haven't used it myself though so I can't speak to how good their person detection actually is or anything. They also have some floodlight cameras.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
We inherited a basic security system with a new house that was monitored through ADT but I don't really have any desire to pay them for poo poo. It's basically Honeywell sensors and a ADT badged Honeywell touch control device with a ADT outdoor camera at the backdoor.

From what I can tell there's not a ton I can do with this without a service though? I can run the control device as a local alert but doesn't seem like I could set it up to send me alerts on anything or monitor it through an app of sorts, and looks like ADT cameras only work with a subscription?

Just checking in case anyone has any ideas. I don't really need to use it but in a perfect world I guess it'd be nice to be able to set some stuff when we go out of town and be able to monitor any alarms remotely and check the camera remotely

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Some ADT install contracts are attached to the property. You could still be on the hook for this thing/a disconnection fee.

Best way to handle reusing things is to gut the controller and replace it with something else. Probably the keypads too depending on which ones.

The camera may or may not be useful with a new controller. I'm not familiar with what kind of junk they're using for cameras.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Wish there was a non-trash exterior light/camera combo that also doesn't look like it's out of a school and/or prison. The only decent-looking camera light I've seen is Kuna, which I have, but the camera side doesn't integrate with anything usefully and is generally just not great.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So what’s the deal with this new “Matter” home automation framework Apple talked about at WWDC yesterday? Is it likely I’ll still be able to use my Google Nest as the hub for my plugs and bulbs (all Tapo currently) and Roku/Chromecasts but control them through the Home app on iPhone without needing to set up Homebridge?

We’re a mixed iOS/Android household and so we’ve just been sticking to the Google Home setup for now which is *fine* but it’d be cool to be able to set up better automations with my iPhone that jumps through less hoops.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone have experience with Lutron Caseta beyond just a simple dimmer? It seems like what they offer will meet my needs, IF I can get the my hands on the 4 key Pico remotes. However, they don't seem to be sold to consumers, despite being part of the Caseta line. Anyone have any insight on good ways to acquire them? If I would have issues integrating them to a basic caseta system?(like, maybe they are digitally locked to commercial installers or something). Also interested in any alternative systems that offer quality wall interfaces with physical scene selection buttons. Thanks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

So what’s the deal with this new “Matter” home automation framework Apple talked about at WWDC yesterday? Is it likely I’ll still be able to use my Google Nest as the hub for my plugs and bulbs (all Tapo currently) and Roku/Chromecasts but control them through the Home app on iPhone without needing to set up Homebridge?

We’re a mixed iOS/Android household and so we’ve just been sticking to the Google Home setup for now which is *fine* but it’d be cool to be able to set up better automations with my iPhone that jumps through less hoops.

https://www.smarthomeperfected.com/best-matter-devices/

It allows every compatible smart device to act as a hub for other devices, regardless of brands. So instead of having a Hue bridge, an Aquara bridge, and a Lutron bridge hanging off your router, those devices themselves will all act as a large mesh network. The device has to be Matter/Thread compatible, which I don't think any of the 3 examples I just listed are. But for devices that are compatible, it means you don't need to be within good signal range of your router, or wherever you put your device hubs, since each device is technically a hub/"router".

Matter looks like it will use Thread as it's networking protocol:
https://www.evehome.com/en/blog/discover-your-thread-network

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

https://www.smarthomeperfected.com/best-matter-devices/

It allows every compatible smart device to act as a hub for other devices, regardless of brands. So instead of having a Hue bridge, an Aquara bridge, and a Lutron bridge hanging off your router, those devices themselves will all act as a large mesh network. The device has to be Matter/Thread compatible, which I don't think any of the 3 examples I just listed are. But for devices that are compatible, it means you don't need to be within good signal range of your router, or wherever you put your device hubs, since each device is technically a hub/"router".

Matter looks like it will use Thread as it's networking protocol:
https://www.evehome.com/en/blog/discover-your-thread-network

quote:

Unlike Zigbee and Z-Wave, Matter uses both low and high frequency communications (via Thread and Wi-Fi). We’ve heard through the proverbial grapevine that CSA is trying to implement blockchain technology to make the communication mesh more secure as well!

:doh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m sure that is just in there to get dumbass VCs excited but has no actual technical implementation.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Expect most smart home device to require new hardware to run matter. The only big brand that announced upgrades is Signify/philips, the other seems rather unwilling to not double dip customers. Matter is platform agnostic, so it will work with google home too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I think we can raise about $50 million with this idea: how about zwave, but on the blockchain?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah, so it’s not likely my existing stuff will get firmware updates? :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ah, so it’s not likely my existing stuff will get firmware updates? :(

Maybe they will but i wouldn't bet the bank on it. Try sending an email to every smart home maker you are using, asking if they have a timeline and if they expect new hardware to be required. Worst case they'll tell you some boilerplate "we might or not" statement.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Motronic posted:

Some ADT install contracts are attached to the property. You could still be on the hook for this thing/a disconnection fee.

Best way to handle reusing things is to gut the controller and replace it with something else. Probably the keypads too depending on which ones.

The camera may or may not be useful with a new controller. I'm not familiar with what kind of junk they're using for cameras.

all the equipment was purchased separately by the previous owner, not through an ADT contract. The contract was terminated by the previous owner.

As far as I can tell there isn't a real panel or kind of specific controller other than the touchscreen thing that was left behind. It's just wireless window/door sensors, a glass break sensor, and a camera that I'm not sure actually hooked up to that controller to begin with (might have just been usable through the ADT service)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
They have to be hoked up to something (even if that things is wireless) that connects them to the ADT service over the internet or otherwise.

If it's all wireless you're better off just chucking the lot and starting over. None of those things are particularly expensive.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know if there's a better place to ask it, but can anyone think of what the hell to do about a spider repeatedly building its web in front of one of my CCTV cameras?

The camera is just above head height on my garage wall and it's underneath eaves which apparently make it the ideal place for this spider to build its web most nights. The web then seems to have the camera infrared reflect on it, obscuring the picture quite a bit. Just a first thought but might something like silicone lubricant on the eaves deter this?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I don't know if there's a better place to ask it, but can anyone think of what the hell to do about a spider repeatedly building its web in front of one of my CCTV cameras?

The camera is just above head height on my garage wall and it's underneath eaves which apparently make it the ideal place for this spider to build its web most nights. The web then seems to have the camera infrared reflect on it, obscuring the picture quite a bit. Just a first thought but might something like silicone lubricant on the eaves deter this?

Install a bird house next to the camera

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

They make long acting spider killer spray. I don't condone killing spiders, but they're attracted to the IR lights as are their prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

sharkytm posted:

I don't condone killing spiders

I do, and if I had the resources I'd fund research into the knock-on effects of wiping them out worldwide, the spindly bastards.

I'd seen those sprays before and had assumed that they were to placate arachnophobes so I'll give that a go.

The bird box idea is interesting but I also don't like the idea of giving extra reasons for them to poo poo on my car. I presume the premise is that the birds would eat them?