Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY:

"i didn't go to the doctor, i had food poisoning and was making GBS threads and vomiting for a day or two"

OR

have your SO forge a doctor's note, which is definitely a firing offense

BONUS ROUND: using gimp instead of just printing some nonsense for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I used a medical document from our past, unfortunately it is from a different state, so forwarded email explains the labs faxed it to us and I scanned it to pdf. Totally normal thing to happen. The altered file has been scanned and faxed before being printed to capture that authentic artifact degredation. It helps mask the font differences in the dates. Timelines have been made consistent with the present day. Headers and footers preserved. All references to age redacted by sharpy, printout will be waved in front of manager face then returned due to HIPPA concerns.

This may be my magnum opus for crafting makework props used for kabuki theater. I still got it baby~

Edit: Got call, interview went great. Let them scrutinize like crazy people, I have already out crazied them with the quality and care placed into this transparent lie.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

still leaning towards "i was making GBS threads a lot and didnt go to the doctor"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

raminasi posted:

https://www.amazon.com/System-Design-Interview-insiders-Second/dp/B08CMF2CQF is the system design analogue to ctci (ddia is not that), but ultimately,

sadly looks like it lacks the standard-ish "design a railway/elevator/whatever system" version of the question that asks you to think about non-software systems you don't really know much about from an management perspective but are expected to understand from a management perspective because you've probably used one IRL and end user equals manager or something

design a URL shortener, web crawler, CDN? sure, i have worked with web and network tech extensively for decades, have a wealth of domain knowledge about how they work and integrate, and can design systems that use them. this domain knowledge is a significant reason why you're hiring me over a new grad who can't understand why something works fine on localhost but not otherwise cause they've never encountered CORS before

i aint got gently caress all idea what a railway system needs. steam make metal wheel roll along metal rail. toot too chug chug

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm not paying a copay to get a note

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

have your SO forge a doctor's note, which is definitely a firing offense

routinely actually-prosecuted criminal felony, not just firing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the railway thing is cuz the first os was made by the mit model train club and a ridiculous number of the old timey concurrency poo poo (that of course gets used all the fuckin time incl in new dev) assumes hard you have at least some model train background. certainly dijkstra did iirc. semaphores are old timey train traffic lights (or ordinary traffic lights in romance languages). they used to have literal locks and keys to deal with gettin trains to not crash into each other, etc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 7, 2022

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

KirbyKhan posted:

I used a medical document from our past, unfortunately it is from a different state, so forwarded email explains the labs faxed it to us and I scanned it to pdf. Totally normal thing to happen. The altered file has been scanned and faxed before being printed to capture that authentic artifact degredation. It helps mask the font differences in the dates. Timelines have been made consistent with the present day. Headers and footers preserved. All references to age redacted by sharpy, printout will be waved in front of manager face then returned due to HIPPA concerns.

This may be my magnum opus for crafting makework props used for kabuki theater. I still got it baby~

Edit: Got call, interview went great. Let them scrutinize like crazy people, I have already out crazied them with the quality and care placed into this transparent lie.

I’ve done this for friends needing to rent apartments but had unpaid rent at other places, just some bogus letterhead with the correct address, some flowery apartment manager language that has grammar errors, and a number to call that I could pick up. gently caress em, it’s fun to practice forgery

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that barely matters

doctors can sign and prescribe, like, meth and morphine. that poo poo is in an online database but doctor signatures are Serious Business

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achmed Jones posted:

still leaning towards "i was making GBS threads a lot and didnt go to the doctor"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

documenting a felony

do not document your felonies if you do them. especially do not document the fact that they are interstate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that said, the routine part of the prosecution is when fuckers do this to get out of court dates, so at least thats not a thing here

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that barely matters

doctors can sign and prescribe, like, meth and morphine. that poo poo is in an online database but doctor signatures are Serious Business

I think you are confusing a doctor's note to mean an actual message and letter stating the patient must be on light work for fear of permanent damages signed ~doctor~. Employers have no need for that, what they're asking for is proof of physical presence at a place explaining why the human component was outside their cube.

So, I just got a lab draw form to fabricate a visit and that's like barely fraud in this world of Apes and NDAs.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
it's not a hell world thing if your SO lied to their employer so much they need a loving doctors note to avoid... what? a stern talking-to at a company they're trying to leave? id just tell them i was interviewing, your move buttholes you can't loving replace me idiots

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

if you have a strict set of questions that everyone gets asked or just a common interview format for everyone, then won’t you get stuff like “cracking the coding interview” where rear end in a top hat dumbasses can just learn how to pass your standardised process?

yes

4lokos basilisk posted:

and how to design a standard process so that the process itself is not biased in any way, unlike an iq test or something like that?

as far as i can tell, you can't

4lokos basilisk posted:

in the end its really important (especially for small shops) that the person you hire has a personality that makes them nice to work with, irrespective of their professional skills

i strongly agree, and while i recognize the benefits of reducing bias (implicit or otherwise), i'm unwilling to give up this critical information

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
lol at the idea of demanding a doctors note from an employee

"give me a doctors note"
"no"
"well youll be written up"
"sounds like discrimination to me"

Its not (by itself, most likely), but they'll either escalate (a major fuckup) or they'll STFU (the correct choice)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao you can't figure out how to write down the qualities you're looking for. jesus fuckin christ this is sad

A: takes constructive feedback well, asks followup questions to better understand conceptual foundation for feedback, improves design based on the spirit (not necessarily letter) of feedback. eg if feedback is in re: increasing testability, candidate's future functions demonstrate testable patterns, not just the single function to which feedback directly was given
B: incorportates feedback into iterative design when pointed out
C: argues with interviewer about requested changes
D/F: questions interviewer's credentials/intelligence

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you can't write down the behaviors that someone you want to work with displays, how they should be able to answer behavioral questions, etc. then maybe you're just trying to launder your bias :ssh:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CarForumPoster posted:

lol at the idea of demanding a doctors note from an employee

"give me a doctors note"
"no"
"well youll be written up"
"sounds like discrimination to me"

Its not (by itself, most likely), but they'll either escalate (a major fuckup) or they'll STFU (the correct choice)

I know right. It was outside the realm of possibility in my mind they wanted this.

Wife came back and showed me the message. Dude foreal wanted a signed doctor's instruction explaining "why you have to stay home the rest of the day" and lmao rofl.

do not document your felonies if you do them. especially do not document the fact that they are interstate.

No, I'm not going that far. I thought it was just proof of visit. Now that it has been clarified that they want the HOT DOCUMENTS I just told her that it is "Psychotic poo poo to demand, push back". Like how in our medical system is that even possible to produce authentically!?!? We don't even have a doctor assigned to us yet and it's been like 6 months since she got this bullshit job with it's insurance, no wonder everyone else in her cohort quit already.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress it's ok to hire for "growth mindset" or whatever personality traits you want, just write it down so that white guys don't automatically get a pass it's not that hard.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i annoyed the poo poo out of dweck by continuously noting that all her growth mindset experiments could just as easily be explained by noting that the application of power degrades learning. the toddler gift experiments, the 2012 study, nearly all of it. certainly explains the frequent failure of the interventions cuz they themselves are an expression of power...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i annoyed the poo poo out of dweck by continuously noting that all her growth mindset experiments could just as easily be explained by noting that the application of power degrades learning. the toddler gift experiments, the 2012 study, nearly all of it. certainly explains the frequent failure of the interventions cuz they themselves are an expression of power...

lol this owns

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

reading this gave me a minor "aha" moment thank you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well it meant i had to get my rec letters for my masters from jay mcclelland instead of dweck which earned me like 75k in weird neural net 6-week contracts some years after that so thanks dr dweck

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 7, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

i thought you went to a plutocrat school
there are no plutocrat schools west of the mississippi :colbert:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lord fifth posted:

reading this gave me a minor "aha" moment thank you

not me but i would like one, can someone explain it but with more context because i don't know anything about the academic literature behind "growth mindset"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
leland stanford had 1.5 billion usd in todays money

kind of a junior plutocrat by todays standards but subsequent plutocrats fluffed up the endowment rather nicely

sure, its also parvenu school

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

leland stanford had 1.5 billion usd in todays money

kind of a junior plutocrat by todays standards but subsequent plutocrats fluffed up the endowment rather nicely

sure, its also parvenu school

"MORE LIKE NEW MONEY LOSER SCHOOL! HUZZAH!!!" shouts a group of men wearing leather football helmets, all named named Geoffrey or Theodore

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and in turn the harrow-and-eton-to-oxbridge men scoff. "if your uni isnt older than the aztecs", they think passive-aggressively but never intone, "does it really count as a uni?"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is an awful lot of intoning going on lately isn't there. dreadful really.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went to a year of private school in second grade. after that year they discontinued their scholarship program (or maybe just kicked me out and that's what my parents told me lol). everything else has been public school, works4me wontfix

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
everything about public schools is good except for the folks who are mad the whole time that they don't go to plutocrat school

there seems to be an outsize number of those in the computer touching departments

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i went from an inner city public school in 3rd grade to rancho santa fe elementary in 4th grade, ostensibly public but with median home value in catchment $5.4 million and that was a fuckin contrast

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Public education in Utah was :chefkiss: wouldn't trade it for the bougiest poo poo in the world.

Blog update: bcc'd boomer financiers some of my initial cold call emails. Current strat is to keep them in the loop for jobs I don't want so their jobsearch brain poison techniques can do what I'm certain they will do.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 7, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
be careful about talkin bout public school round the eton and harrow men, because public and private school mean completely different things over there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did k-10 in a public school that was just a notch above a 1 room schoolhouse

if I had stayed through high school my graduating class would have been 3 people

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
as though i'd ever be in the same room with a guy who went to eton or harrow

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got day drunk on a quad in Cambridgeshire. A dude was playing guitar and I asked him to pull up the tabs for "Hit Me Baby One More Time" by Brittany Spears and sang my drunk heart out. That's British private school right? I walked through one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in contrast I put my son in a private pre-school and am paying $2k a month in rent for the privilege of living in area for the best elementary school in the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Large company asks for comp expectation before on-site. what's the right thing to do?